Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 11:40 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Those "raffle" lottery games

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 9 years ago by tnlotto1.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
PA
United States
Member #22983
October 6, 2005
2226 Posts
Posted: July 3, 2007, 12:14 am - IP Logged

I was shocked that this raffle did not sell out early, it is still going. Which is actually good, as I believe they draw from only the tickets bought. So far less than 175,000 is left. I also think it is stupid that the odds are the same for the $100,000 prize as the million. There should be about 5 more $100,000 prizes.

KyMystikal's avatar - 1457224010054
    Florence, Alabama
    United States
    Member #8658
    November 13, 2004
    1993 Posts
    Posted: July 3, 2007, 1:15 am - IP Logged

ga raffle is on the 7th and they still havent sold out but kentucky says they will extend their drawing date until all the tickets are sold out...

That is bad but they have to do this because they haven't even sold enough tickets to cover the prizes they are offering. They need to sell 275000 tickets to cover the prize amounts. My calculations they need to sell around 81000 more ticket to cover the prize pay outs and the way the tickets are selling it should be about 2 months away for the drawing. I see different stores are doing give aways to try and sell tickets. They are giving away scratch of with purchase of raffle tickets and having drawings where you get a raffle ticket for a drawing to win prizes in the store.

I love doubles and remember, it's just a game!!!!!!

United States
      Member #10438
      January 13, 2005
      431 Posts
      Posted: July 3, 2007, 8:34 am - IP Logged

NO THANKS  2$ limit on lottery tickets  even 2$  hard to do wheels and such  stick to the 1$ games with giant jacks

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10344 Posts
        Posted: July 3, 2007, 10:49 am - IP Logged

No thanks here also. 

$20 is just too steep for a lottery ticket.  

The way the Illinois raffle is set up it comes down to 509 winners out of 500,000 tickets.

Four million dollar winners, 5 $100,000 winners, and 500 $1,000 winners.

So;

500,000   tickets

-      509 winners

= 499,491 losers.

Gee, which side of that equation do you think your $20 will put you on?

I did have a ticket for the first Illinois raffle, and when the winners list came out no winning ticket was within 1,500 of my ticket's number- up or down.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

PA
          United States
          Member #22983
          October 6, 2005
          2226 Posts
          Posted: July 3, 2007, 5:59 pm - IP Logged

Think about how many losers there are on the powerball and mega millions on a daily basis. $20 even buys a far better chance at winning a million dollars than $10,000 on powerball. 1:584,432. Sure most will lose, but at least 8 will win a million or $100,000. If you think you will lose for certain this does not exactly help your case if you go by the law attraction, and positive thinking.

One thing that is for certain though that if you don't play you will definitely be on "the losing side." I asked the lottery about how they would do the draw if all the tickets do not sell out. They said that they are pretty confident they will, otherwise the winning numbers will be drawn from as many tickets were bought as I suspected.

I am a little skeptical about this confidence, as we have not proof they actually sold them all. They could simply draw all 625,000 numbers, and the rest was never even bought. The lottery would lose nothing, as the rest of the tickets was "theirs" How would we know? Although with the current countdown it seems as though they are going to sell out just in time. Skeptical 

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
            A long and winding road
            United States
            Member #17084
            June 10, 2005
            4523 Posts
            Posted: July 3, 2007, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

PA's is set to sell out by Saturday. Some of my co workers bought 20 tickets for this raffle! THey figured as a group they have a better chance. I told them the odds are the same for them as it is for a single holder. They didnt appreciate that remark, yet odds dont change. your chance remains 1 in 125,000 to hit. I personally dont like splitting with such a large amount of holders. Call it greed, I call it taking the high road to riches. : )

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: July 4, 2007, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

I agree with you, except something is better than nothing.  As far as buying 20 tickets goes, it's true the odds remain the same, but if they are buying 20 tickets as a group, each person has 19 more chances, right?  Depending on how many people pitched in, a split could still turn out to be a nice prize. 17 co-workers (airplane mechanics in Miami)  just claimed a $19 million jackpot in FL.  They took the cash and each will get about $600K before taxes.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10344 Posts
                Posted: July 4, 2007, 1:29 pm - IP Logged

sirbad

"Think about how many losers there are on the powerball and mega millions on a daily basis. $20 even buys a far better chance at winning a million dollars than $10,000 on powerball. 1:584,432. Sure most will lose, but at least 8 will win a million or $100,000"

A Powerball dollar that wins wins at least a share of $15,000,000 to start with. So let's assume a solo hit and beofre taxes, cash optionetc...that dollar turns into a "15 million dollar dollar". The best a raffle dollar can do is win 1/20th of a million, before taxes, if it's a million dollar prize.  And even a million dollar winning raffle ticket produces at best a "50,000 dollar dollar". (Twenty of them actually, but each winning dollar is only worth $50,000 as compared to the worth of a Pick 6 or 5 + 1 jackpot winning doller).

Better chandes of winning? Of course. More "bang for the buck"? No, not at all.  

"If you think you will lose for certain this does not exactly help your case if you go by the law attraction, and positive thinking."

Let's say there's 500,000 ticket sales and nust for discussion every one who played bought one ticket, so that's 500,000 people. Let's also say that due to the popularity of The Secret 20% of the people that bought tickets are using the law of attraction.  20% of 500,000 is 100,000. Ther's still going to be only 500 some winners. So what happened to the other 99,500 using the law of attractuion?

It's still luck, that's what happened.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: July 4, 2007, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

Okay - just checked my FL Raffle ticket.  1486641

Timing is everything.  I bought my ticket on July 1 at 3:26

Looking at the winning numbers, one winner in Miami (lots of winners there) bought his ticket about an hour after I did, judging from the amount that was being sold.  They sold out at 8:44 and there were 13,359 left when I bought mine.  So about 2,500 an hour were being sold that day.

Of course, I didn't mention that it was exactly at 15:26:26 so someone who bought a ticket at 15:26:28 could have won too.  I think I prefer losing a regular lottery game more!  Just a buck and I'm never that close and when I am, at least I get something back. 

Hope an LP member won something.  I was hoping for $10,000.  Sad

Grand Rapids, Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #53008
                    June 19, 2007
                    67 Posts
                    Posted: July 4, 2007, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

Looking at the winning numbers, one winner in Miami (lots of winners there) bought his ticket about an hour after I did, judging from the amount that was being sold.  They sold out at 8:44 and there were 13,359 left when I bought mine.  So about 2,500 an hour were being sold that day.

Of course, I didn't mention that it was exactly at 15:26:26 so someone who bought a ticket at 15:26:28 could have won too.  I think I prefer losing a regular lottery game more!  Just a buck and I'm never that close and when I am, at least I get something back. 

That's too bad, justxploring.  I'm really hoping someone from Lottery Post wins something too on one of those raffles.  As soon as my state posts the raffle results I'll let you guys know if I was a "lucky" one or just another loser.

NY
                      United States
                      Member #23835
                      October 16, 2005
                      3471 Posts
                      Posted: July 4, 2007, 4:46 pm - IP Logged

PA's is set to sell out by Saturday. Some of my co workers bought 20 tickets for this raffle! THey figured as a group they have a better chance. I told them the odds are the same for them as it is for a single holder. They didnt appreciate that remark, yet odds dont change. your chance remains 1 in 125,000 to hit. I personally dont like splitting with such a large amount of holders. Call it greed, I call it taking the high road to riches. : )

If they buy 20 tickets they're 20 times more likely to win, so their odds are much better than for somebody who has a single ticket. Of course, their individual winnings will only be 1/20th of what an individual would win.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                        nashville
                        United States
                        Member #49896
                        February 18, 2007
                        1181 Posts
                        Posted: July 4, 2007, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

maybe next time justx

PA
                          United States
                          Member #22983
                          October 6, 2005
                          2226 Posts
                          Posted: July 5, 2007, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

95,000 tickets left for PA, and only 2 days left. At the current rate I would not believe a so-called sell out. I highly doubt 95,000 tickets are going to sell in this state in less than 2 days, especially at the current rate that I have been seeing them sell, SLOW.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                            nashville
                            United States
                            Member #49896
                            February 18, 2007
                            1181 Posts
                            Posted: July 5, 2007, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

95,000 tickets left for PA, and only 2 days left. At the current rate I would not believe a so-called sell out. I highly doubt 95,000 tickets are going to sell in this state in less than 2 days, especially at the current rate that I have been seeing them sell, SLOW.

well we will see if georgia or pa extend the drawing date because they both have a lot of tickets to sell in 2 days...

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7295 Posts
                              Posted: July 5, 2007, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

They went past the break-even point when they sold the 322,836th ticket and now sold close to 600,000 so the drawing will probably be on the planned time and date. It's weird how some states have no problem selling out quickly and and other states can't give them away.