Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 4:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New page identifies problems with your web browser

Topic closed. 52 replies. Last post 9 years ago by sysp34.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
delores247's avatar - Lottery-048.jpg

United States
Member #19043
July 24, 2005
7378 Posts
Posted: July 19, 2007, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

Everything checks out but the Picture size of the Browser,whatever that means but i can use this computer so i have no complaints,It reminds me of the Computer Check on a Car,,,Excellent work Todd

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23259 Posts
    Posted: July 19, 2007, 8:46 pm - IP Logged

Everything checks out but the Picture size of the Browser,whatever that means but i can use this computer so i have no complaints,It reminds me of the Computer Check on a Car,,,Excellent work Todd

The warnings are just that ... warnings.  There are only a few things that cause a "fail" message.  The warnings just let you know about things that hurt your experience, but they are not deal-breakers.

If you don't know what a term means, go to www.wikipedia.com and type it there.  It's much better to learn what these things mean, because they are really BASICS on the internet ... things that every person should know.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

delores247's avatar - Lottery-048.jpg

United States
      Member #19043
      July 24, 2005
      7378 Posts
      Posted: July 19, 2007, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

The warnings are just that ... warnings.  There are only a few things that cause a "fail" message.  The warnings just let you know about things that hurt your experience, but they are not deal-breakers.

If you don't know what a term means, go to www.wikipedia.com and type it there.  It's much better to learn what these things mean, because they are really BASICS on the internet ... things that every person should know.

Thanks Todd i will Check this out,i must admit i still have a lot to learn about computers that i don't understand,appreciated

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
        Member #14
        November 9, 2001
        31339 Posts
        Posted: July 19, 2007, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Todd.  Nice to have.

love to nibble those micey feet.

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8359 Posts
          Posted: July 19, 2007, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

great tool Todd

0 failures

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
            Dump Water Florida
            United States
            Member #380
            June 5, 2002
            3102 Posts
            Posted: July 20, 2007, 1:41 am - IP Logged

Hmmmm, I got . . .

Screen sizeWarnYour screen size of 800x600 is too small. We recommend 1024x768 or higher.
            Browser windowWarnYour browser window's usable width of 780 is too small. Try expanding the browser window to the full size of the screen.

With no annoying bottom scroll bar I don't see how my screen size is a problem.  It didn't like my dial up service either, like I need to pay twenty dollars more every month.  BobP

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
              Michigan
              United States
              Member #22395
              September 24, 2005
              1583 Posts
              Posted: July 20, 2007, 11:31 am - IP Logged

Hmmmm, I got . . .

Screen sizeWarnYour screen size of 800x600 is too small. We recommend 1024x768 or higher.
              Browser windowWarnYour browser window's usable width of 780 is too small. Try expanding the browser window to the full size of the screen.

With no annoying bottom scroll bar I don't see how my screen size is a problem.  It didn't like my dial up service either, like I need to pay twenty dollars more every month.  BobP

I am right with you Bob...I am plenty happy to connect to the net for $5.95/month.  Wish sites would just back off on running Macromedia (Adobe) flash ads on every page.  (Not a problem at LP - Todd runs very minimal ads).

My IE window is maximized so if it isn't exactly 800x600, that's all she's got.

There's not much I like about Vista.  I am still playing with it.  Until or if I get it right, it isn't going on the net.  If sites won't continue to program for Win98 - guess I won't be visiting them.

sysp34's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                Heroic City
                Indonesia
                Member #31689
                February 2, 2006
                1153 Posts
                Posted: July 20, 2007, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

Todd

although i got this result

DescriptionStatusDetails
                CookiesPassCookies are enabled in your browser.
                JavaScriptPassJavaScript 1.3 is enabled in your browser.
                Browser typeWarnYou are using IE 6 which is supported, but we no longer test for compatibility. You are at risk that some features may not work or appear as intended. Upgrade to the latest version of IE.
                Operating SystemWarnYour operating system Win98 is not supported. Microsoft has stopped supporting it, and over time fewer and fewer pages and functions at Lottery Post will function properly unless you upgrade to a modern operating system, such as Windows XP or Windows Vista.
                AJAX SupportPassYour browser supports AJAX technology, which is used for interactive features.
                SSL enabledWarnSecure Socket Layers (SSL) is disabled in your browser, so your password will be sent in clear text over the Internet when you log in. When SSL is disabled, you cannot use pages that start with "https://". Go into your browser's configuration panel and turn on SSL capability.
                CompressionPassYour browser supports compressed page loading, which is used by Lottery Post to speed up page load times.
                Flash plug-inPassYou have Flash 9,0,16,0 which is supported.
                BroadbandWarnWe have detected that you are using a dial-up or other slow Internet connection. On long or complex pages you may experience slow performance. You will experience the best performance with a broadband connection, such as cable modem or DSL line. Contact your local cable TV company or phone company to upgrade your connection.
                Images enabledPassImages are enabled in your browser.

well win98 should not be forgotten if it happen in the future i guess i must say BON VOYAGE LP LOL.

for WinXP or Vista it little bit hard to find some computer that have syncronize performance (zero bottleneck). sometimes p4 2.66 with 512 Gb ram faster than p4 3.0 with 1 Gb ram :((

about ie i guess some guys at unofficiall win98 or mdgx able to implant lastest ie into win98 infact some of their patch are used in WinXP

Et erunt signa in sole.......Et luna et stellis.......Et presura gentium
                Prae confusione sonitus maris.

Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23259 Posts
                  Posted: July 20, 2007, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

When you folks get warnings, don't get so personally offended.  The page is letting you know that there are ways of improving your experience here.  Anything with a warning is "NOT IDEAL".

For example, Bob, OF COURSE you can see the page at 800 x 600.  But that is a very old standard, and I do not design the pages to look good at that resolution.  So if you looked at the pages at a more reasonable resolution, they will be much better.  Such is the case with the Vtracs charts, for example.  At 800 x 600 you'll have to do a lot of scrolling.

As for Windows 98, OF COURSE you can use it (if you insist).  But, to say that there is some advantage to staying with Windows 98 is just wrong.  You are living with a very buggy, insecure, featureless operating system.  Windows XP does not place enormous challenges on hardware, and its very cheap at this point, so I don't see any reason to stick with 98.  But OF COURSE you can, if you must.

Chief Bottle Washer
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #1
                    May 31, 2000
                    23259 Posts
                    Posted: July 20, 2007, 3:08 pm - IP Logged

Oh, and to say "I'm happy with my dial-up" is only because YOU HAVE NOT HAD BROADBAND SERVICE.  Once you try it, you will not be happy with your $5.95 dial-up service.  Ask any of the multitudes of people I have convinced to try it!

KyMystikal's avatar - 1457224010054
                      Florence, Alabama
                      United States
                      Member #8658
                      November 13, 2004
                      1993 Posts
                      Posted: July 20, 2007, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

Oh, and to say "I'm happy with my dial-up" is only because YOU HAVE NOT HAD BROADBAND SERVICE.  Once you try it, you will not be happy with your $5.95 dial-up service.  Ask any of the multitudes of people I have convinced to try it!

I'm happy with it. I went thru the different stages. 1st Webtv, 2nd dial up, 3rd DSL, and now 3 meg broadband. When available in my area I will upgrade to the 6 meg.

I love doubles and remember, it's just a game!!!!!!

Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23259 Posts
                        Posted: July 20, 2007, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

I'm happy with it. I went thru the different stages. 1st Webtv, 2nd dial up, 3rd DSL, and now 3 meg broadband. When available in my area I will upgrade to the 6 meg.

Wow, you really did go through all the various stages!  WebTV is almost unusable.  I've tried it in hotel rooms -- some hotels used to put WebTV in the rooms before wireless internet was widely installed.  A horrible internet experience.

Broadband internet feels the way the internet ought to.  Things happen at the speed humans can digest.  You can watch videos and surf the net at the same time.  You can download things quickly, so you don't have to schedule downloads to happen overnight.

By the way, I had one more point on the Windows 98 thing, for those who insist on sticking with it.  I have no idea if IE7 is even available for Win98, but if it is not, you should be able to use Firefox instead.  Firefox will at least give you a more secure browsing environment and will be far less buggy than an old version of IE.  (Much more compatible with ALL web sites out there, not just Lottery Post.)

Which brings me to the final point.  These compatibility tests that I constructed are very good tests for ALL web sites.  As I said before, you can certainly get by with having warnings, but you need to understand that your setup is not conforming with what MOST web designers build their sites for.  There is nothing restrictive or outrageous about these guidelines.  They are pretty basic, so don't get bent out of shape if you get a warning.  I'm just pointing out something that SOMEONE should be telling you.

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                          Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #22395
                          September 24, 2005
                          1583 Posts
                          Posted: July 20, 2007, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

Todd

I am well aware of where the progress of the "net" is at.  I know what DSL/Cable feels like - I also know what it costs.  You can get mimimum DSL for less than $20/mo in my area.  I consider it too expensive for a "hobby" "toy" (whatever you want to call a computer).    I wouldn't go back to being on the net in DOS for free but I also wouldn't consider DSL or cable at this point in time.

IE 7 is recommeneded for XP or better.  It should not be installed on Win98 or ME.

The upgrade of Firefox - anyone upgrading to Firefox should make sure they have enough RAM - IE 6 runs in a much smaller footprint than Firefox.    Indeed the entire OS of Win98 only requires 16MB of ram with 24MB recommended by Microsoft.  I have not tried running IE6 at those low levels of RAM - but apparently it can be done.

I also have Macromedia (Adobe) Flash Player 8 and it cannot be ugraded.  I believe Version 9 needs more RAM to operate.

One other note...I do have SSL 2,3 turned on and I also show that I have 128 bit encryption.  Do you know of an online test page to verify that SSL is or isn't working?  Your page flagged mine as not being turned on.  Any idea what DLLs are involved for IE6?

I am not bent out of shape.  I think your browser diagnosis page is very useful and I don't know of any other regular website that offers anything even close to this.  Good idea and thanks for the input.

Chief Bottle Washer
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #1
                            May 31, 2000
                            23259 Posts
                            Posted: July 20, 2007, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

Todd

I am well aware of where the progress of the "net" is at.  I know what DSL/Cable feels like - I also know what it costs.  You can get mimimum DSL for less than $20/mo in my area.  I consider it too expensive for a "hobby" "toy" (whatever you want to call a computer).    I wouldn't go back to being on the net in DOS for free but I also wouldn't consider DSL or cable at this point in time.

IE 7 is recommeneded for XP or better.  It should not be installed on Win98 or ME.

The upgrade of Firefox - anyone upgrading to Firefox should make sure they have enough RAM - IE 6 runs in a much smaller footprint than Firefox.    Indeed the entire OS of Win98 only requires 16MB of ram with 24MB recommended by Microsoft.  I have not tried running IE6 at those low levels of RAM - but apparently it can be done.

I also have Macromedia (Adobe) Flash Player 8 and it cannot be ugraded.  I believe Version 9 needs more RAM to operate.

One other note...I do have SSL 2,3 turned on and I also show that I have 128 bit encryption.  Do you know of an online test page to verify that SSL is or isn't working?  Your page flagged mine as not being turned on.  Any idea what DLLs are involved for IE6?

I am not bent out of shape.  I think your browser diagnosis page is very useful and I don't know of any other regular website that offers anything even close to this.  Good idea and thanks for the input.

That was a very informative post, thank you!

Sorry for the "bent out of shape" comment, if it was inappropriate.

That is interesting about the SSL flag.  One way to tell for sure if it is working is to download a network packet sniffer and examine the traffic coming out of your PC onto a secure page.  You could fire up the sniffer and have it record the traffic as you login on the LP Secure Login page.

Let me know what you find out.  If the SSL detection is not working properly I'd like to know so it can be looked at. 

I was not aware that Firefox takes up more RAM than IE6.  That is surprising.  Where did you see that?  What about Opera 9?  (Something else to try...)

Last, on the DSL thing, there are certainly exceptions to the rule.  I have not heard anyone who could use a cable connection and then happily go back to dial-up.  I guess I've had broadband so long that I can't imagine using a dial-up.  I don't think I could even use one from a hotel.  (I'm not sure if there are many hotels without broadband these days anyway.) 

Naturally, stick with whatever floats your boat.  It is important to point out on the diagnostics page that broadband is a better experience, since many Lottery Post pages contain a lot of data, and therefore will take a long time for dial-up users to download.

Sunny California
                              United States
                              Member #40295
                              May 31, 2006
                              7712 Posts
                              Posted: July 20, 2007, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

I have a question about the new login page. Used to able to just click on the box and my name and password would fill in automatically. I checked the "Remember Me" box but it doesn't work. Is there any way to fix this so I don't have to punch in all that info every time I want to log on?