Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

TENNESSEE LOTTERY-e mail response to computerized drawings

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 9 years ago by tnlotto1.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: July 26, 2007, 10:29 am - IP Logged

We appreciate your comments but the decision has been made to go to an exciting way to hold our drawings using the latest in automated technology, joining numerous lotteries throughout the world that use similar computerization.  These begin this Saturday, July 28.

Cash 3, Cash 4, Lotto 5 and Hot Trax drawings will be conducted at the Tennessee Lottery's headquarters in Nashville using one of two automated drawing machines. These are stand-alone computers that operate as random number generators. A random number generator consists of highly secure computerized systems that generate numbers in a random manner, with no human involvement. In fact, Tennessee currently uses a random number generator to select winning numbers for our Hot Trax Champions drawings, and also for our recent Million $ Madness drawing.
As always, the drawings are videotaped. Once the winning numbers are drawn, they are transferred for broadcast to the viewing public to our partner television stations throughout the state.

Within a few weeks of launching the new drawings, they will be archived (one week's worth at a time) and available for viewing on our website.

Puke

Delaware
    United States
    Member #30273
    January 14, 2006
    494 Posts
    Posted: July 26, 2007, 10:58 am - IP Logged

Computerized drawings are what they are going after. The diehards quite frankly really don't care. They'll play whatever they can. Try going to a computerized state and telling the people that are buying a dozen numbers at once about the computerized drawings and they'll tell you, well, usually something not so nice.

Unfortunately, the only way to actually get them to stop it is to get all the diehard players to stop buying tickets, which will impact their sales significantly. Unfortuately, I don't see that happening (and not for lack of effort either, some people are just too into it).

The state I'm watching on this carefully is Pennsylvania. They now have 3 computerized games and their sales are sliding. I think it is only a matter of time before they go dark side on the evening drawings. PA seems to be the most innovative of the bunch, so if they go to computers, I think it would be the dominos starting to fall.

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8360 Posts
      Posted: July 26, 2007, 11:21 am - IP Logged

We appreciate your comments but the decision has been made to go to an exciting way to hold our drawings using the latest in automated technology, joining numerous lotteries throughout the world that use similar computerization.  These begin this Saturday, July 28.

Cash 3, Cash 4, Lotto 5 and Hot Trax drawings will be conducted at the Tennessee Lottery's headquarters in Nashville using one of two automated drawing machines. These are stand-alone computers that operate as random number generators. A random number generator consists of highly secure computerized systems that generate numbers in a random manner, with no human involvement. In fact, Tennessee currently uses a random number generator to select winning numbers for our Hot Trax Champions drawings, and also for our recent Million $ Madness drawing.
      As always, the drawings are videotaped. Once the winning numbers are drawn, they are transferred for broadcast to the viewing public to our partner television stations throughout the state.

Within a few weeks of launching the new drawings, they will be archived (one week's worth at a time) and available for viewing on our website.

Puke

I got the same correspondence  from them.

As i expect everyone else will that wrote them.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
        Delaware
        United States
        Member #30273
        January 14, 2006
        494 Posts
        Posted: July 26, 2007, 11:31 am - IP Logged

Well, I think this says it all. I have some relatives in Tennessee. So there's no confusion, they are intelligent people. I mentioned it in passing to one of them on the phone this morning when they called me, and the response was that "it'll be more honest now."

Figured it was worth mentioning.

KyMystikal's avatar - 1457224010054
          Florence, Alabama
          United States
          Member #8658
          November 13, 2004
          1993 Posts
          Posted: July 26, 2007, 11:35 am - IP Logged

Computerized drawings are what they are going after. The diehards quite frankly really don't care. They'll play whatever they can. Try going to a computerized state and telling the people that are buying a dozen numbers at once about the computerized drawings and they'll tell you, well, usually something not so nice.

Unfortunately, the only way to actually get them to stop it is to get all the diehard players to stop buying tickets, which will impact their sales significantly. Unfortuately, I don't see that happening (and not for lack of effort either, some people are just too into it).

The state I'm watching on this carefully is Pennsylvania. They now have 3 computerized games and their sales are sliding. I think it is only a matter of time before they go dark side on the evening drawings. PA seems to be the most innovative of the bunch, so if they go to computers, I think it would be the dominos starting to fall.

I'm waiting for the day the convert over so I can stop playing.

I love doubles and remember, it's just a game!!!!!!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19819 Posts
            Posted: July 26, 2007, 11:39 am - IP Logged

As states add more daily games they won't have enough time to show all the drawings in a minute or thirty second show.  As they get away from showing the drawings they won't have a reason to do live drawings with balls and will switch to computerized drawings. 

Ohio will add a daily Keno game "Ten-OH" next month and its drawings won't be televised and its drawings will be computerized.  In the past Ohio has removed unsuccessful games within a year, Lot'O Play for example.  The future of computerized drawings in Ohio may well depend on how well this game does.

The computerized drawings are for games the hard core gamblers play almost every day, games like MegaMillions and Classic Lotto that tries to attract the general public with larger jackpots probably wouldn't survive if they had computerized drawings, when people are playing for a $50M jackpot they want to see where the numbers are coming from.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Florence, Alabama
              United States
              Member #8658
              November 13, 2004
              1993 Posts
              Posted: July 26, 2007, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

Puke

I just read this post. I replied to this post before I read the posts. I guess tomorrow will be my last day playing, tracking, and posting for TN. I'm glad I live close to KY

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                nashville
                United States
                Member #49896
                February 18, 2007
                1181 Posts
                Posted: July 26, 2007, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

the part of the letter that talks about drawing being videotaped but who cares if they videotape a computer spitting out numbers the computer can be corrupted when the camera is not on.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                  nashville
                  United States
                  Member #49896
                  February 18, 2007
                  1181 Posts
                  Posted: July 26, 2007, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

the part of the letter that talks about drawing being videotaped is irrelevant because who cares if they videotape a computer spitting out numbers the computer can be corrupted when the camera is not on.

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7297 Posts
                    Posted: July 26, 2007, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

Puke

"the decision has been made to go to an exciting way to hold our drawings -  Once the winning numbers are drawn, they are transferred for broadcast to the viewing public"

Wow, it almost sounds like the TN Lottery Commission will have medical personal on hand incase one of its members gets too excited watching the computer draw the numbers and has the big one.

For the players the excitement will be the same as logging onto Lottery Post 15 minutes after the draw or reading the results in the Newspaper the next day.

It sure makes you wonder what's up when the lottery commission gets excited about having a closed door drawing.

Florence, Alabama
                      United States
                      Member #8658
                      November 13, 2004
                      1993 Posts
                      Posted: July 26, 2007, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

"the decision has been made to go to an exciting way to hold our drawings -  Once the winning numbers are drawn, they are transferred for broadcast to the viewing public"

Wow, it almost sounds like the TN Lottery Commission will have medical personal on hand incase one of its members gets too excited watching the computer draw the numbers and has the big one.

For the players the excitement will be the same as logging onto Lottery Post 15 minutes after the draw or reading the results in the Newspaper the next day.

It sure makes you wonder what's up when the lottery commission gets excited about having a closed door drawing.

I for one, am not excited one bit about the TN lottery. As far as I'm concerned TN doesn't have a lottery anymore. I'm going to start tracking SC lottery and playing it.

Delaware
                        United States
                        Member #30273
                        January 14, 2006
                        494 Posts
                        Posted: July 26, 2007, 4:19 pm - IP Logged

The excitement of the drawings I guess is going to be those colorful animated drawings which don't mean squat. Garbage in = garbage out.

The next time I go to Tennessee, which to date has been once in my life, I'll stick with scratch-offs, IF ANYTHING.

Coastal Georgia
                          United States
                          Member #2653
                          October 30, 2003
                          1866 Posts
                          Posted: July 26, 2007, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

Ticket sales or lack there of will be the final judge of this- and it will take time .....

Miss Bee's avatar - strawberry
                            nashville
                            United States
                            Member #4990
                            June 8, 2004
                            1376 Posts
                            Posted: July 26, 2007, 5:03 pm - IP Logged

I also was saddened by this and Friday will be my last day to play also.    I have been trying to convince my numbers buddies at the store to do the same but to no avail.

Wish I lived closer to Ky I will miss playing very much.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                              Tennessee
                              United States
                              Member #7853
                              October 15, 2004
                              11338 Posts
                              Posted: July 26, 2007, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

i thought our lottery director had integrity and would be above something like this.