Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:07 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Help!! Need winning lottery advice

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 9 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
caliGal's avatar - bodymachine
Lakewood, CA
United States
Member #55302
September 23, 2007
1 Posts
Posted: September 23, 2007, 12:43 am - IP Logged

Please help!  My dad went out monday night and decided to by lottery tickets and passed them out at the bar. Well needless to say, someone won the jackpot of $7.5million. Now the guy who won (whom my dad knows) says he will not give my father any of the winnings, then said he would give him $1 hundred thousand of the 3.9million he will be walking away with. My dad works 8 days a week, is 70 years old and is still very much all there (if you know what i mean) I think they should at least split it 50/50. I mean the guy wouldn't have anything if it werent for my dad. The bar, my dad, and myself are very frustrated with the situation. Im not trying to sound greedy but I think its whats fair.

Can anyone give me any good advice or at least some uplifting thoughts on my situation!!

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8361 Posts
    Posted: September 23, 2007, 1:00 am - IP Logged

you say he gave tickets away then what makes you think the persons he gave them to owe him anything. If you give something away doesn't that me you gifted it a away.

If he didn't enter into a contract with the persons he gave tickets to then apart from that he is owed nothing. i feel for you but i think you have a tough case shouldn't you be asking a lawyer your questions are call the California lottery director..

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
      Dump Water Florida
      United States
      Member #380
      June 5, 2002
      3103 Posts
      Posted: September 23, 2007, 1:54 am - IP Logged

Nice try, but I don't believe this story for a minute. Try sending it to Ann Landers.  Even if real, that's the price you pay for being stupid, sorry there is no cure. Maybe you helped someone else from making the same stupid mistake.  In any regard, your dad is only out one dollar, so take the hundred grand in good grace and don't forget to pay the taxes on it.  BobP

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19827 Posts
        Posted: September 23, 2007, 2:09 am - IP Logged

"Can anyone give me any good advice or at least some uplifting thoughts on my situation!!"

Sounds like it's your father's situation.  If he likes buying lottery tickets and giving them away, that's his business, not yours.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

portland, oregon
          United States
          Member #54263
          August 12, 2007
          14 Posts
          Posted: September 23, 2007, 2:54 am - IP Logged

your dad works 8 days a week?

AuntiePat's avatar - animaniacs10
            Just outside of Cleveland, OH
            United States
            Member #54079
            August 3, 2007
            106 Posts
            Posted: September 23, 2007, 3:03 am - IP Logged

When the tkt is presented at Lottery Ofc for validation--the winner of any large Jackpot has to answer questions about its purchase--usually regarding date, time and place of purchase as well as whether the tkt was a Quick Pick or not.  Many larger stores also have security cameras rolling.  Unfortunately--having said this. . .you should also be aware that anyone else in the bar on said night would probably testify in court (should it come to that) regarding the fact that tkts were given out that night by your father to several other people.  Now if your father had said. . .perhaps in jest. . .that if any of the tkts in question were a winner--he would expect them to split the pot, he probably still would be in an untenable position. 

Your father should consult an attorney on Monday. 

Crazy what some people will do under the influence, isn't it.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
              Member #14
              November 9, 2001
              31351 Posts
              Posted: September 23, 2007, 3:37 am - IP Logged

Please help!  My dad went out monday night and decided to by lottery tickets and passed them out at the bar. Well needless to say, someone won the jackpot of $7.5million. Now the guy who won (whom my dad knows) says he will not give my father any of the winnings, then said he would give him $1 hundred thousand of the 3.9million he will be walking away with. My dad works 8 days a week, is 70 years old and is still very much all there (if you know what i mean) I think they should at least split it 50/50. I mean the guy wouldn't have anything if it werent for my dad. The bar, my dad, and myself are very frustrated with the situation. Im not trying to sound greedy but I think its whats fair.

Can anyone give me any good advice or at least some uplifting thoughts on my situation!!

Maybe he should cut back to working 7 days instead of 8 -

ROTFL 

love to nibble those micey feet.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                Tx
                United States
                Member #4570
                May 4, 2004
                5180 Posts
                Posted: September 23, 2007, 4:24 am - IP Logged

If true, then that person does not owe your father anything, not even the one dollar, as it was a gift.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: September 23, 2007, 4:31 am - IP Logged

Maybe he should cut back to working 7 days instead of 8 -

ROTFL 

Nah, I think 6 is quite enough at age 70. 

Wink

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                    Member #4121
                    March 23, 2004
                    817 Posts
                    Posted: September 23, 2007, 7:45 am - IP Logged

It sounds like it was a gift.  Why did your father give everyone lotto tickets?  He should have just kept them for himself and after he won throw a big party at the bar.  Take the 100K and run!

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                      Member #47420
                      November 4, 2006
                      3930 Posts
                      Posted: September 23, 2007, 8:53 am - IP Logged

If this story is true? then your father is not all there..You said he was....

Raven62's avatar - binary
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #17843
                        June 28, 2005
                        49758 Posts
                        Posted: September 23, 2007, 8:55 am - IP Logged

If true, then that person does not owe your father anything, not even the one dollar, as it was a gift.

Wait until your father finds out he has to Pay Gift Tax on the $7,500,000 Gift!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                          Member #91
                          January 19, 2002
                          11931 Posts
                          Posted: September 23, 2007, 9:40 am - IP Logged

"Can anyone give me any good advice or at least some uplifting thoughts on my situation!!"

Tell your Dad to get some sleep,,He has to go to work tomorrow!!Bed

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                            Member #50124
                            February 26, 2007
                            601 Posts
                            Posted: September 23, 2007, 9:58 am - IP Logged

The first time I read this as "he passed out at the bar."  Was wondering if his friend stole the tickets while he was out or something.  lol

I agree with above posters.  First, this is not a real story.  Second, if it were, he's SOL because he gave the tickets away.  The winner owes him not one red cent, and he should be extremely grateful he's been offered the 100k.  I'd advise him to take it before the winner gets frustrated with him, you, and the bar (although what the bar has to do with it is beyond me) and retracts the offer.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                              Member #13130
                              March 30, 2005
                              2171 Posts
                              Posted: September 23, 2007, 10:08 am - IP Logged

We're sorry...

... The website you have reached ...

... L - O - T - - T - E - R - Y  POST ...

... is not in service ...

... to patronize your bull$#!& ...

... please close your browser ...

... and get a clue. Chair