Welcome Guest
You last visited April 25, 2017, 6:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Help!! Need winning lottery advice

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 10 years ago by RJOh.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
lottolaughs's avatar - avatar
Serious Searcher
Sunny California
United States
Member #40295
May 31, 2006
8040 Posts
Posted: September 24, 2007, 9:15 am - IP Logged

Did you guys miss what I showed here????  There were 2 winners here so it's impossible that the guy or whoever won the whole 7.5 million!! He supposedly was going to walk away with 3.9 and that sounds reasonable if he he opted for cash value but he wouldn't be walking away with that if he only won 1/2 of that,right?  Or am I missing something here????

Super Lotto Plus Winning Numbers for Draw # 2135 on 09-19-2007 were:

Matching NumbersWinning TicketsTicket Value SuperLotto Plus Jackpot ticket(s) were sold at:
SNUG HARBOR
5520 DEL AMO BL
LAKEWOOD, 90713

7-ELEVEN 2136-18199C
13307 MOORPARK ST
SHERMAN OAKS, 91423

5 + Mega2$ 7,500,000
54$ 18,588
4 + Mega22$ 1,689
4795$ 77
3 + Mega1,142$ 48
329,711$ 9
2 + Mega14,360$ 10
1 + Mega69,236$ 2
Mega99,960$ 1
Total Winning Tickets215,232
    time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
    Member #13130
    March 30, 2005
    2171 Posts
    Posted: September 24, 2007, 9:26 am - IP Logged

No LottoLaughs, you didn't miss a thing; but who is going to let mathematical facts get in the way of a good, heated discussion? PonderThat would make the forums much less lively. Clown 

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1958 Posts
      Posted: September 24, 2007, 9:38 am - IP Logged

Did you guys miss what I showed here????  There were 2 winners here so it's impossible that the guy or whoever won the whole 7.5 million!! He supposedly was going to walk away with 3.9 and that sounds reasonable if he he opted for cash value but he wouldn't be walking away with that if he only won 1/2 of that,right?  Or am I missing something here????

Matching NumbersWinning TicketsTicket Value SuperLotto Plus Jackpot ticket(s) were sold at:
      SNUG HARBOR
      5520 DEL AMO BL
      LAKEWOOD, 90713

7-ELEVEN 2136-18199C
      13307 MOORPARK ST
      SHERMAN OAKS, 91423

5 + Mega2$ 7,500,000
      54$ 18,588
      4 + Mega22$ 1,689
      4795$ 77
      3 + Mega1,142$ 48
      329,711$ 9
      2 + Mega14,360$ 10
      1 + Mega69,236$ 2
      Mega99,960$ 1

Maybe they didn't know there was 2 winners instead of 1?What?

Gonna win.Big Smile

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
        Member #15309
        May 13, 2005
        307 Posts
        Posted: September 24, 2007, 10:07 am - IP Logged

SNUG HARBOR
        5520 DEL AMO BL
        LAKEWOOD, 90713

7-ELEVEN 2136-18199C
        13307 MOORPARK ST
        SHERMAN OAKS, 91423

5 + Mega2$ 7,500,000
        54$ 18,588
        4 + Mega22$ 1,689
        4795$ 77
        3 + Mega1,142$ 48
        329,711$ 9
        2 + Mega14,360$ 10
        1 + Mega69,236$ 2
        Mega99,960$ 1

No dear, I did not miss your post.  I just opted to ignore it.  But since you insist to be heard, I will tell you that the jackpot price was $15M, but there were 2 winners, thus each gets $7,500,000.

Sun Smiley             

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          56018 Posts
          Posted: September 24, 2007, 10:51 am - IP Logged

The gift (the ticket) was worth only one dollar at the time the gift was given, so no taxes are due.  That is different than if he received the money, then gave millions of dollars away.

A gift is a gift is a gift.  Do you suppose the father will have learned that he does not make good decisions while under the influence?

The value of the Ticket at the time it was given as a Gift was $15,000,000. (Multiple Winners made it worth $7,500,000 and a $7,500,000 Gift) He is then liable to Pay Gift Tax on the $7,500,000 Gift!

If on the other hand he had given each person in the Bar $1 and they went and Purchased Lottery Tickets and one of those Tickets Won the $7,500,000 Jackpot he would not be liable for the Gift Tax on $7,500,000.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
            Member #15309
            May 13, 2005
            307 Posts
            Posted: September 24, 2007, 10:52 am - IP Logged

Whether or not this poster is telling the truth is no moment to me.  But she raises interesting legal issues that lawyers love to argue about in a court of law.

Firstly, it is not disputed who purchased the ticket.  It is also not disputed who owned the money that paid for the ticket.

What will be asked is: 

How did the ticket get in the hands of another person and not the purchaser?

Granting the ticket was voluntarily handed to that person by the purchaser, what was the intention of the purchaser in handing over that ticket to the other. 

Was the purchaser so inebriated that he was not able to form any intentions at all.

Change that ticket for another piece of property.  Say, your car keys.  You gave your car keys to another person.  What does that mean?

It's all a matter of proving the intention.  A preponderance of the evidence (which is "more likely than not") is all that matters and not proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

Sun Smiley             

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3544 Posts
              Posted: September 24, 2007, 11:02 am - IP Logged

The value of the Ticket at the time it was given as a Gift was $15,000,000. (Multiple Winners made it worth $7,500,000 and a $7,500,000 Gift) He is then liable to Pay Gift Tax on the $7,500,000 Gift!

If on the other hand he had given each person in the Bar $1 and they went and Purchased Lottery Tickets and one of those Tickets Won the $7,500,000 Jackpot he would not be liable for the Gift Tax on $7,500,000.

According to the story the tickets were handed out on Monday. The drawing was on the following Wednesday. When the ticket was given as a gift it wasn't a winning ticket and was therefore worth only the cost of the ticket.

I'm guessing the original post about gift tax was only supposed to be a joke. If so, it was a pretty good one. 

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                Member #4877
                May 30, 2004
                5180 Posts
                Posted: September 25, 2007, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

Please help!  My dad went out monday night and decided to by lottery tickets and passed them out at the bar. Well needless to say, someone won the jackpot of $7.5million. Now the guy who won (whom my dad knows) says he will not give my father any of the winnings, then said he would give him $1 hundred thousand of the 3.9million he will be walking away with. My dad works 8 days a week, is 70 years old and is still very much all there (if you know what i mean) I think they should at least split it 50/50. I mean the guy wouldn't have anything if it werent for my dad. The bar, my dad, and myself are very frustrated with the situation. Im not trying to sound greedy but I think its whats fair.

Can anyone give me any good advice or at least some uplifting thoughts on my situation!!

CG:

this is a sad BUTT great story about life & all of you know x9*#?/^ PSYKOMO,........................................................is a SKUNK>>>>>>>

& the ...sad BUTT theory of LIFE in the "FAST LANE"..........................

YES, friend's.......  there is alway's a BUTT somewhere and it L@@Ks

like ole DAD had to take it on the cheek's>>>>>>sorry bout FAMILY

& friend's who DONOT think this is a FUNNY<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Tell him to stay out of BAR's & invest the money in his NAME^^^^

from this day>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>will be his own>>>>JACKPOT$$$

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                  Member #41383
                  June 16, 2006
                  1969 Posts
                  Posted: September 26, 2007, 1:01 am - IP Logged

You folks that replied will fall for anything...  :)

How 'bout if I say:

'I was in a bar, and some guy was handing out tickets, and *I* won !!!'

'Yippee !'

I don't buy this story for a second.  Sorry.   We've seen these things too many times in the past. 

bigato1010's avatar - army

United States
                    Member #33588
                    February 22, 2006
                    2068 Posts
                    Posted: October 8, 2007, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

Dad next time give a dollar not the lottrey tickets.

Oh noooooooooooooooo ! I hope this story is not true .

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      20017 Posts
                      Posted: October 8, 2007, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

If you noticed, caliGal only ever made one post and that was to start this thread so I doubt if it was ever true but rather just someone way of stimulating some discussion. 

When someone asked the question "What was the intent of the person giving away the tickets?" it brought up a similar question about LP members who post predictions.  Are they just having fun, testing a system or strategy or do they actually believe they're improving the odds of someone else winning some money?  Which make one thinks, should a predictor who gets a "Thank you" from someone who won some money using their predictions expect a share of their winnings too.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
                        Clarksville
                        United States
                        Member #487
                        July 15, 2002
                        17638 Posts
                        Posted: October 8, 2007, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

Whenever I go somewhere to buy tickets for others, I ALWAYS make sure I play their numbers, too.  I remember when this guy worked in Nashville and one of his co workers was going to buy lottery tickets in Kentucky (TN did not have a lottery then).  Well she bought him a 2 dollar quick pick and he won 100+ million dollars.  I know she was sick.  He said he was going to give her  a million dollars but all of the information I have heard since then says he didn't.  His mother packed him up so fast, it would make your head swim and they moved to California.  This is a true story.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          20017 Posts
                          Posted: October 9, 2007, 4:47 am - IP Logged

Whenever I go somewhere to buy tickets for others, I ALWAYS make sure I play their numbers, too.  I remember when this guy worked in Nashville and one of his co workers was going to buy lottery tickets in Kentucky (TN did not have a lottery then).  Well she bought him a 2 dollar quick pick and he won 100+ million dollars.  I know she was sick.  He said he was going to give her  a million dollars but all of the information I have heard since then says he didn't.  His mother packed him up so fast, it would make your head swim and they moved to California.  This is a true story.

His mother was looking for his best interests if he was stupid enough to promise some one a million dollars for picking up a $2 lottery ticket.  Once the word was out people would have been lining up at his door expecting a million dollars for some favor they too had done for him in the past.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking