Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 11:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Help!! Need winning lottery advice

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 9 years ago by RJOh.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Greensboro, North Carolina
United States
Member #1616
June 5, 2003
1288 Posts
Posted: September 23, 2007, 10:24 am - IP Logged

The best advise I can offer is for you to buy me a round trip plane fare from N.C to CA. and I will personally put my foot up your Dad's you know what for being either too drunk or too generous. And I will let you watch as a learning experience.

Sunny California
    United States
    Member #40295
    May 31, 2006
    7713 Posts
    Posted: September 23, 2007, 11:38 am - IP Logged

Super Lotto Plus Winning Numbers for Draw # 2135 on 09-19-2007 were:

Matching NumbersWinning TicketsTicket Value SuperLotto Plus Jackpot ticket(s) were sold at:
    SNUG HARBOR
    5520 DEL AMO BL
    LAKEWOOD, 90713

7-ELEVEN 2136-18199C
    13307 MOORPARK ST
    SHERMAN OAKS, 91423

5 + Mega2$ 7,500,000
    54$ 18,588
    4 + Mega22$ 1,689
    4795$ 77
    3 + Mega1,142$ 48
    329,711$ 9
    2 + Mega14,360$ 10
    1 + Mega69,236$ 2
    Mega99,960$ 1
    Total Winning Tickets215,232

Judging from these ticket results there were 2 winners of this jackpot so how could this person have won the whole 7.5 million? I see that 1 of the tickets was sold in Lakewood where you are but NOT both. 

Hmmmm..........I smell something fishy going on.......

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19901 Posts
      Posted: September 23, 2007, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

About five times a year a total stranger comes to LP to share a story about how they or a family member are being cheated out a share of a lottery jackpot.  They or the family member never had the winning tickets but they feel connected to the person who does because they worked in the same place, lived in the same neighborhood or once drink at the same bar as the local winner.  None of the stories ever go public because they don't have any merit, they are just someone's dream of making some easy money.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Litebets27's avatar - power
        Maryland
        United States
        Member #10465
        January 14, 2005
        6065 Posts
        Posted: September 23, 2007, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

Dear Caligal,

We cannot help you of your father. Good old Dad gave up you inheritance. It is up to your Dad, once he is sober, to convience his friend to share the pot. Other than that, keep on working, like the rest of us.

Sincerely yours,

litebets

P.S.

You have my sincere and deepest sympathy.

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3502 Posts
          Posted: September 23, 2007, 2:36 pm - IP Logged

When the tkt is presented at Lottery Ofc for validation--the winner of any large Jackpot has to answer questions about its purchase--usually regarding date, time and place of purchase as well as whether the tkt was a Quick Pick or not.  Many larger stores also have security cameras rolling.  Unfortunately--having said this. . .you should also be aware that anyone else in the bar on said night would probably testify in court (should it come to that) regarding the fact that tkts were given out that night by your father to several other people.  Now if your father had said. . .perhaps in jest. . .that if any of the tkts in question were a winner--he would expect them to split the pot, he probably still would be in an untenable position. 

Your father should consult an attorney on Monday. 

Crazy what some people will do under the influence, isn't it.

Not that I believe the story, but why on Earth would he want to consult a lawyer? He freely made a gift, and that's all there is to it. You give something to somebody and it belongs to them. That's all there is to it. 

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
            Indiana
            United States
            Member #48725
            January 7, 2007
            1958 Posts
            Posted: September 23, 2007, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

Please help!  My dad went out monday night and decided to by lottery tickets and passed them out at the bar. Well needless to say, someone won the jackpot of $7.5million. Now the guy who won (whom my dad knows) says he will not give my father any of the winnings, then said he would give him $1 hundred thousand of the 3.9million he will be walking away with. My dad works 8 days a week, is 70 years old and is still very much all there (if you know what i mean) I think they should at least split it 50/50. I mean the guy wouldn't have anything if it werent for my dad. The bar, my dad, and myself are very frustrated with the situation. Im not trying to sound greedy but I think its whats fair.

Can anyone give me any good advice or at least some uplifting thoughts on my situation!!

The guy doesn't owe your dad anything. Maybe your dad should't have bought lottery tickets and pass them around the bar. People get mad at me when I tell them I won't buy them a lottery ticket while I'm out somewhere, and they can't figure out why since it's "only" a simple task. We're talking about MILLIONS of dollars here people! I swear, people need to take buying lottery tickets more seriously.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
              Washington State
              United States
              Member #33973
              February 26, 2006
              347 Posts
              Posted: September 23, 2007, 4:25 pm - IP Logged

Wait until your father finds out he has to Pay Gift Tax on the $7,500,000 Gift!

The gift (the ticket) was worth only one dollar at the time the gift was given, so no taxes are due.  That is different than if he received the money, then gave millions of dollars away.

A gift is a gift is a gift.  Do you suppose the father will have learned that he does not make good decisions while under the influence?

SoBe Yourself's avatar - lizard3
                Baltimore
                United States
                Member #54999
                September 5, 2007
                47 Posts
                Posted: September 23, 2007, 4:48 pm - IP Logged

Please help!  My dad went out monday night and decided to by lottery tickets and passed them out at the bar. Well needless to say, someone won the jackpot of $7.5million. Now the guy who won (whom my dad knows) says he will not give my father any of the winnings, then said he would give him $1 hundred thousand of the 3.9million he will be walking away with. My dad works 8 days a week, is 70 years old and is still very much all there (if you know what i mean) I think they should at least split it 50/50. I mean the guy wouldn't have anything if it werent for my dad. The bar, my dad, and myself are very frustrated with the situation. Im not trying to sound greedy but I think its whats fair.

Can anyone give me any good advice or at least some uplifting thoughts on my situation!!

Take the 100 grand, say thank you,  and be happy about it. Considering that there was  no agreement  whatsoever about the winnings, he won't get a thing in court and this feud will ruin everything.

"Greed makes people do strange things."

-classic Peanuts cartoon strip

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: September 23, 2007, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

Wait until your father finds out he has to Pay Gift Tax on the $7,500,000 Gift!

I believe Uff Da is correct, but you did give me a heck of a laugh, Raven!  LOL    However, when you give someone a house, that is considered part of one's estate and there is gift tax.  He'd probably win, but someone at the IRS might want to challenge this.  I guess as long as he never knew the worth of the ticket and never claimed it as his own, it's only a one dollar gift. 

Regarding what KY Floyd wrote about attorneys, why can't he claim temporary insanity?  He could say he was under the influence and had a blackout, and he woke up the next morning & couldn't remember a darn thing.  He might never win, but like the case in MA where St. Johns found the million dollar ticket in the trash & had to wait for his money, he might be able to tie up the winner for so long that he give in & pays him off just to move on with his life.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19901 Posts
                    Posted: September 23, 2007, 5:42 pm - IP Logged

The guy doesn't owe your dad anything. Maybe your dad should't have bought lottery tickets and pass them around the bar. People get mad at me when I tell them I won't buy them a lottery ticket while I'm out somewhere, and they can't figure out why since it's "only" a simple task. We're talking about MILLIONS of dollars here people! I swear, people need to take buying lottery tickets more seriously.

A few years ago a similar case happened in Alabama which doesn't have a lottery.  It was featured on the TV news show "60 minutes". 

This guy took regular trips to Florida to buy lottery tickets and regularly handed some of them out at the local coffee shop to the waitresses as tips when he had breakfast.  One was a jackpot winner and the waitress who had it quit her job, cashed the ticket and didn't share the winnings with her co-workers or the guy that bought it. 

The guy and her co-workers thought there was an unspoken understanding that any big prize would be shared and wanted to go to court but Florida courts said it wasn't their concern because it happened in Alabama and Alabama courts said playing any lottery in Alabama was illegal and wouldn't hear the case.  End of dispute.

When ever I've driven to Indiana to buy PB tickets for myself and someone asked me to also buy some for them, I and them accept the fact that we will not be sharing our winnings regardless of the amounts.  Since I don't ask for anything on the gas, I would be disappointed if they won big and didn't offer me something for making the trip but I wouldn't get mad.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Indiana
                      United States
                      Member #48725
                      January 7, 2007
                      1958 Posts
                      Posted: September 23, 2007, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

A few years ago a similar case happened in Alabama which doesn't have a lottery.  It was featured on the TV news show "60 minutes". 

This guy took regular trips to Florida to buy lottery tickets and regularly handed some of them out at the local coffee shop to the waitresses as tips when he had breakfast.  One was a jackpot winner and the waitress who had it quit her job, cashed the ticket and didn't share the winnings with her co-workers or the guy that bought it. 

The guy and her co-workers thought there was an unspoken understanding that any big prize would be shared and wanted to go to court but Florida courts said it wasn't their concern because it happened in Alabama and Alabama courts said playing any lottery in Alabama was illegal and wouldn't hear the case.  End of dispute.

When ever I've driven to Indiana to buy PB tickets for myself and someone asked me to also buy some for them, I and them accept the fact that we will not be sharing our winnings regardless of the amounts.  Since I don't ask for anything on the gas, I would be disappointed if they won big and didn't offer me something for making the trip but I wouldn't get mad.

I wish more people would understand there is no "unspoken understanding". Either an agreement has clearly been made or it hasn't. I don't buy lottery tickets for others, and I don't ask others to buy them for me. There's too much "I deserve a piece" thinking going on. One time, when I was about to to go the gas station my neighbor asked me to buy a $2 PowerBall ticket for her. So I bought my $5 QP ticket and her $2 QP ticket. The next thing I did was go over to the playslips and filled out the same numbers on her ticket and paid $2 more for the duplicate ticket. When I got home, I gave her the $2 QP and kept my $7 worth of tickets.Approve

Gonna win.Big Smile

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                        Wisconsin
                        United States
                        Member #1303
                        March 27, 2003
                        1508 Posts
                        Posted: September 23, 2007, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

Not that I believe the story, but why on Earth would he want to consult a lawyer? He freely made a gift, and that's all there is to it. You give something to somebody and it belongs to them. That's all there is to it. 

Yes, exactly.  Sometimes you give someone a 7 million dollar lottery ticket.  Other times you give someone a really bad head cold.

In either case, it belongs to the person you gave it to.  LOL

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

rteague's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                          North Carolina
                          United States
                          Member #54608
                          August 24, 2007
                          1181 Posts
                          Posted: September 23, 2007, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

be thankful he's giving 100k because he owes him NOTHING  !!!!!

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
                            Member #15309
                            May 13, 2005
                            307 Posts
                            Posted: September 24, 2007, 8:40 am - IP Logged

It all boils down to the INTENTION of your dad when he "passed them out" at the bar. 

Did your dad intend to make a gift when he passed out those tickets? 

Or did he intend to share the proceeds, in case the tickets won? 

Or did your dad intend the "passing out" of the tickets to be a joke at the moment, and he actually did not have the intention to relinquish ownership of the tickets? 

Was your dad drunk to the point he did not know what he was doing at the time he was passing out the tickets?

So many questions to be asked, so little time.  My advice:  GET A LAWYER ASAP.  Meanwhile, file an adverse claim with the lottery to delay payment of the winning ticket.

Sun Smiley             

Indiana
                              United States
                              Member #48725
                              January 7, 2007
                              1958 Posts
                              Posted: September 24, 2007, 9:06 am - IP Logged

It all boils down to the INTENTION of your dad when he "passed them out" at the bar. 

Did your dad intend to make a gift when he passed out those tickets? 

Or did he intend to share the proceeds, in case the tickets won? 

Or did your dad intend the "passing out" of the tickets to be a joke at the moment, and he actually did not have the intention to relinquish ownership of the tickets? 

Was your dad drunk to the point he did not know what he was doing at the time he was passing out the tickets?

So many questions to be asked, so little time.  My advice:  GET A LAWYER ASAP.  Meanwhile, file an adverse claim with the lottery to delay payment of the winning ticket.

They shouldn't pursue this AT ALL. They will end up regretting it in the end. If the winner finds out this person is taking legal action against him, he will RECEDE the $100,000 offer PLUS they will have thousands of dollars in legal fees. They have nothing to complain about. Her dad GAVE a lottery ticket to someone else and it won. If I was them, I would just take the $100,000 if the guy hasn't receded the offer so far. They will lose the lawsuit, and could end up in the poor house when the lawyer comes to collect his legal fees. Just don't do it!

Gonna win.Big Smile