Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Who is dumber?

Topic closed. 53 replies. Last post 9 years ago by mylollipop.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Who is dumber-those who steal tickets or those who win and blow the money?

Steal tickets [ 50 ]  [68.49%]
Blow money [ 23 ]  [31.51%]
Total Valid Votes [ 73 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
fwlawrence's avatar - Yavill
Austin
United States
Member #9378
December 6, 2004
210 Posts
Posted: February 13, 2008, 9:34 am - IP Logged

Just curious.Type

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
    Member #4121
    March 23, 2004
    817 Posts
    Posted: February 13, 2008, 9:53 am - IP Logged

I vote the person who steals the lottery tickets is dumber than the person who blows the jackpot because the person who blows the money gets to enjoy the money, for a short time atleast.  The person who steals gets notting but maybe time in jail.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23260 Posts
      Posted: February 13, 2008, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

Good question.  Steals.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #56506
        November 21, 2007
        6537 Posts
        Posted: February 13, 2008, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

I voted steals. I don't think I am dumb for "blowing" my money on tickets. It's my hobby. 

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
          Member #28409
          December 15, 2005
          1198 Posts
          Posted: February 13, 2008, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

No brainer.

Steals.

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
            Magnolia, Delaware
            United States
            Member #18795
            July 20, 2005
            789 Posts
            Posted: February 13, 2008, 1:34 pm - IP Logged

The thief is dumber!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: February 13, 2008, 1:40 pm - IP Logged

Stealing is morally wrong, but in many cases I'm not sure how "dumb" it is.  There are very smart people who steal from others all the time. They just lack scruples. However, I'll say stealing lottery tickets is probably very stupid since they can be traced.

Blowing your money is also stupid and careless, but it isn't illegal.  Well, it's a good question, but I honestly don't think they are related too closely.  One is a crime and the other is acting irresponsibly.  One is immoral and the other is poor judgment.  I guess greed might be one factor they both share.  But if you are lost at sea and drink all your water in one day instead of using a little at a time for survival, it's not the same as stealing the other guy's water while he's sleeping.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                49657 Posts
                Posted: February 13, 2008, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

Stealing is morally wrong, but in many cases I'm not sure how "dumb" it is.  There are very smart people who steal from others all the time. They just lack scruples. However, I'll say stealing lottery tickets is probably very stupid since they can be traced.

Blowing your money is also stupid and careless, but it isn't illegal.  Well, it's a good question, but I honestly don't think they are related too closely.  One is a crime and the other is acting irresponsibly.  One is immoral and the other is poor judgment.  I guess greed might be one factor they both share.  But if you are lost at sea and drink all your water in one day instead of using a little at a time for survival, it's not the same as stealing the other guy's water while he's sleeping.

I Agree!You said that so eloquently!

A companion to stealing is lying:

If a person steals they also lie!

Conversely:

If a person lies they also steal!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                  Idaho
                  United States
                  Member #56506
                  November 21, 2007
                  6537 Posts
                  Posted: February 13, 2008, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

I read the poll wrong. I thought it said who is dumber those who steal or those who blow their money on tickets. LOL My answer is the same, but I read it wrong. Sorry.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                    Charlotte NC
                    United States
                    Member #17406
                    June 18, 2005
                    4053 Posts
                    Posted: February 13, 2008, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

The act of stealing is dumber than blowing a jackpot -  unless you're Robin Hood.

takeemtothebank

New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #17843
                      June 28, 2005
                      49657 Posts
                      Posted: February 13, 2008, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

The act of stealing is dumber than blowing a jackpot -  unless you're Robin Hood.

What was Robin Hood's (short for Robbing Hoodlum) real name?

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                        Charlotte NC
                        United States
                        Member #17406
                        June 18, 2005
                        4053 Posts
                        Posted: February 13, 2008, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

What was Robin Hood's (short for Robbing Hoodlum) real name?

Robbing Hoodlum is right.

There were many thieves/crooks who used the alias Robin Hood, some scholars suggest that it was merely a nickname for criminal or Hoodlum in today's world.  But there is one thing for sure, they were men in tights.

takeemtothebank

hennybogan's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
                          McKinney/Texas
                          United States
                          Member #47363
                          November 1, 2006
                          706 Posts
                          Posted: February 13, 2008, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

Stealing has always been and will always be a sin. It's funny how many try to skirt the issue. i.e. morally wrong etc. It just happens to be one of the ten commandments in The Bible. Check out the book of EXODUS chapter 20. You'll find there are nine other sins listed as well that we are not to commit, but we do anyway. But the worst of all is LYING. In the book of Revelations God states that all liars will be thrown in the lake of fire.

Beieve what you want, the truth is not dependent upon whether you or I believe something is true or not. 

Blowing money, or wasting money is not a violation of God's laws  Secondly, the definition of "blowing" money is rather obsure, and each of us has our own definition. To one person, blowing money might mean giving a huge portion of your lottery winnings to The Salvation Army or to some other charity. To another, a trip to Maui might be considered as blowing money.. To a single person, blowing money might mean a lottery winner spending his/her winnings on other family members.

Not being anywhere omnipotent, and not trying to second guess our creator, since he does not state: THOU SHALT NOT BLOW MONEY, my vote goes to STEALING IS A WHOLE LOT WORSE THAN BLOWING MONEY.

Moreover, if the winner does not give at least 10% to charity, you ARE STEALING FROM GOD, and that has a CURSE associated with it. Read the book of Malichi if you think I'm just whistling Dixie. :-) 

Qouth The Raven....NEVERMORE 

Ephesians 3:20

New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #17843
                            June 28, 2005
                            49657 Posts
                            Posted: February 13, 2008, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

Robbing Hoodlum is right.

There were many thieves/crooks who used the alias Robin Hood, some scholars suggest that it was merely a nickname for criminal or Hoodlum in today's world.  But there is one thing for sure, they were men in tights.

Robin Hood's real name was Robert Fitzooth.

Rather than glorifying criminals and other folks with bad behavior, society should be glorifying the honest hard working people that exemplify honesty, integrity, and morality.

Visit the Ballet: You'll see men in tights there!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                              Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: February 13, 2008, 3:19 pm - IP Logged

"It's funny how many try to skirt the issue. i.e. morally wrong etc."

I wasn't trying to skirt the issue at all.  Isn't "morally wrong" the same as sinning?  All I wrote is that the word "dumb" doesn't apply.  Lots of murderers, including serial killers, have very high IQs.  Many world leaders who have ordered genocide were very smart, but they were very evil too. 

I can also quote the Bible, but before you start preaching & thumping, you should understand the definition & interpretation of words.  There is no place in the Bible where it says stealing is dumb.  There were great rulers in the Bible who committed sins. 

Now if the question was "which is more of a sin?" I would have definitely answered "stealing."  I just don't understand your comment.   Isn't that what the Bible teaches....to be moral?  To be righteous?  To hold your standards high and do good works?