Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:14 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Went public too soon?

Topic closed. 64 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Stack47.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

Do you think the $270 mega millions winner went public too soon?

yes [ 59 ]  [59.00%]
no [ 10 ]  [10.00%]
maybe [ 4 ]  [4.00%]
who cares [ 24 ]  [24.00%]
no comment [ 3 ]  [3.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 100 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
spy153's avatar - maren

United States
Member #28409
December 15, 2005
1198 Posts
Posted: February 26, 2008, 10:54 am - IP Logged

I think that reason alone is enough reason to hide, at least until you claim it. You never know what someone else would do. It's a sick world. Imagine showing the ticket to a group of people and someone snatches it and tries to run off with it. Even if you've signed it or run after them, they might end up tearing it up and throwing it into the air because they don't want you to have it. No more ticket to claim your prize. You certainly aren't going to get that money by suing the person who took it and I'd imagine the most they would get charged with is misdemeanor theft. It's just a slip of paper. All your dreams could be wiped away in a heartbeat. If I ever win Powerball, the only people that will get even a glimpse of the ticket(no touching though) will be my parents and sister.

Green laughme too !

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
    West Side of Sunny Florida
    United States
    Member #55048
    September 8, 2007
    3371 Posts
    Posted: February 26, 2008, 11:05 am - IP Logged

I Agree!  Yea, that is the exact reason I was thinking.  I saw them on the news on Saturday and just hoped we didn't see another news report saying someone went to there house and stole it ect...

I would have at least waited till it was handed over to the state and no one could do anything to the ticket.

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

md
      United States
      Member #14047
      April 20, 2005
      579 Posts
      Posted: February 26, 2008, 11:16 am - IP Logged

Even lottery officials advise people to not come in to claim until they get sound financial, legal and tax advice.  There absolutely is no reason to rush out and tour the talk show circuit.  With having gone through bankruptcy in the past (twice) they should be anxious to take their time and make as smoothe as possible transition. 

I wish them the best.  I'm amused at how many people desire that they stay in the public view verses how many desire them to remain private about it!  (I'm in that crowd)  But some day a couple of us will have the opportunity to step up and be put to the test!

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8360 Posts
        Posted: February 26, 2008, 11:33 am - IP Logged

I'm glad they went public.  I like to read the stories of winners-" after the big win."  But I think they were just crazy to go public before they cashed in the ticket. Do you think maybe they were afraid something bad would happen to them and they wanted everyone to know who they were before it did?  Sort of "safety in numbers" thing?  Too many know they won so no one can derail them with some sort of story that it belonged to them?  Something like that?  As crazy as it sounds, it is the only reasoning I can fathom in my mind for such actions.

I couldn't have said it better.

spy153 wrote: Do you think maybe they were afraid something bad would happen to them and they wanted everyone to know who they were before it did?  Sort of "safety in numbers" thing? 

Yep that's probably what they thought too. Small town everybody knows everybody. And i don't think there's no way they could hide the fact that they won in a small town anyway. They will make out just fine when the shock wears off.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
          Harbinger
          D.C./MD.
          United States
          Member #44103
          July 30, 2006
          5583 Posts
          Posted: February 26, 2008, 11:44 am - IP Logged

Type Time will tell soon enough I reckon

But as I posted in another thread in reponse to Them wanting the H3 and other toys ..........

I predict they shall become the "other What not to do when ya when the lotto" 

Well how coincidental, the NTSB just came out with crash safety ratings:

The best: Nissan Murano.

The worst:  Hummer H3.

Who woulda thought.

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
            Member #4121
            March 23, 2004
            817 Posts
            Posted: February 26, 2008, 11:54 am - IP Logged

Why does Lottery winners always want a Hummer?

Raven62's avatar - binary
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #17843
              June 28, 2005
              49664 Posts
              Posted: February 26, 2008, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

I haven't even cashed my $10 ticket I won a week ago. 

New york gives players 1 year to claim mega millions jackpot.  I plan to use it when I win.

If you're waiting until after the Press Conference: You'll have a long wait!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Raven62's avatar - binary
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                49664 Posts
                Posted: February 26, 2008, 12:15 pm - IP Logged

A Good Marketing Strategy: Sell the Sizzle not the Bacon!

But then again: Considering the H2's Safety Record: It may be a good Stratagem!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                  Idaho
                  United States
                  Member #56506
                  November 21, 2007
                  6537 Posts
                  Posted: February 26, 2008, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

I don't know, but I find Hummers to be ugly vehicles.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

San Diego, CA
                    United States
                    Member #58386
                    February 12, 2008
                    287 Posts
                    Posted: February 26, 2008, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

Does anyone else feel that turning in the ticket as soon as possible outweigh any other considerations?

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
                      West Side of Sunny Florida
                      United States
                      Member #55048
                      September 8, 2007
                      3371 Posts
                      Posted: February 26, 2008, 12:37 pm - IP Logged

Does anyone else feel that turning in the ticket as soon as possible outweigh any other considerations?

I agree 100%, once the ticket is turned over there is no chance of losing it, ticket geting damaged ect...

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

konane's avatar - wallace
                        Atlanta, GA
                        United States
                        Member #1265
                        March 13, 2003
                        3333 Posts
                        Posted: February 26, 2008, 12:44 pm - IP Logged

If it was me, I would have taken some time before going public, but since it's not my ticket, they can do whatever they want.

I Agree!    Their ticket, their life, their choice.  Congratulations to thm for their win, good wishes for the rest of their lives.

Good luck to everyone!

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3474 Posts
                          Posted: February 26, 2008, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

Type Time will tell soon enough I reckon

But as I posted in another thread in reponse to Them wanting the H3 and other toys ..........

I predict they shall become the "other What not to do when ya when the lotto" 

It's not about wanting a Hummer and other toys. What matters is what they actually do. I want a boat. A really big boat. I'd kind of like to have a jet, too. If I were to clear 60 mililon after taxes and then went out and bought  a $40 million Gulfstream and a $10 million yacht there's a good chance that I'd find myself in real trouble down the road, especially if I didn't finance them. The remaining $10 million wouldn't come close to generating enough income to pay the annual cost of owning toys like that. In reality I could never justify the expense (and waste) of a private jet, even if I cleared well over $100 million. Enjoying the living daylights out of $20 million to own a very spacious boat for 10 years, OTOH....

These people should clear nearly $100 million. If they buy a couple dozen hummers, a $5 million dollar house and a $15 million yacht, they can still have $80 million to invest. That could easily give them an after tax income of about $2.5 million. If that's not enough to cover the carrying costs on the toys and houses they can take a couple of million from the principal for the next 20 years. When they're about 70 they'd still have perhaps $25 million.

I see things that I think are indications that they'll do a few things I might not consider the wisest things to do, but I haven't seen anything that makes me think they're likely to be as bad as the more infamous examples. The one thing I am 100% sure of is that it will take a fairly colossal amount of stupidity and/or very bad luck to wind up living week to week again.

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3474 Posts
                            Posted: February 26, 2008, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

IMHO, the lotteries should allow winners to make their claim, but delay the public announcement for a reasonable period pf time. The IRS allows 60 days to make the cash or annuity decision, so that seems like a reasonable period to delay the fanfare, and actual payment.

Lacking that, it isn't that hard to safeguard the ticket without running straight to the lottery office. Sign it, document the hell out of it, and put it in a safe deposit box (witht he documentation kept in a box at a different locaton). Cconsult an attorney, tax advisor and financial advisor (and a media consultant if you feel the need to give more than a brief pres conference) so that you're sure you're ready to go when the funds are transferred. Then go claim the ticket. A lot of people focus on the interest you'll give up by waiting a while, and for these people it could be about 60 grand a week after taxes. That's  a lot of money, but it will become  insignificant over the rest of your life, especially if you make some bad decisions by hurrying.

mken32's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                              I dont know where
                              United States
                              Member #1702
                              June 18, 2003
                              103 Posts
                              Posted: February 26, 2008, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

It's not about wanting a Hummer and other toys. What matters is what they actually do. I want a boat. A really big boat. I'd kind of like to have a jet, too. If I were to clear 60 mililon after taxes and then went out and bought  a $40 million Gulfstream and a $10 million yacht there's a good chance that I'd find myself in real trouble down the road, especially if I didn't finance them. The remaining $10 million wouldn't come close to generating enough income to pay the annual cost of owning toys like that. In reality I could never justify the expense (and waste) of a private jet, even if I cleared well over $100 million. Enjoying the living daylights out of $20 million to own a very spacious boat for 10 years, OTOH....

These people should clear nearly $100 million. If they buy a couple dozen hummers, a $5 million dollar house and a $15 million yacht, they can still have $80 million to invest. That could easily give them an after tax income of about $2.5 million. If that's not enough to cover the carrying costs on the toys and houses they can take a couple of million from the principal for the next 20 years. When they're about 70 they'd still have perhaps $25 million.

I see things that I think are indications that they'll do a few things I might not consider the wisest things to do, but I haven't seen anything that makes me think they're likely to be as bad as the more infamous examples. The one thing I am 100% sure of is that it will take a fairly colossal amount of stupidity and/or very bad luck to wind up living week to week again.

Thumbs Up

Party Like a RockStar