Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 12:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Went public too soon?

Topic closed. 64 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Stack47.

Page 3 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

Do you think the $270 mega millions winner went public too soon?

yes [ 59 ]  [59.00%]
no [ 10 ]  [10.00%]
maybe [ 4 ]  [4.00%]
who cares [ 24 ]  [24.00%]
no comment [ 3 ]  [3.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 100 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: February 26, 2008, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

I agree with Scary & Konane..their life, their choice.  But one thing we all know about this board is we come here to throw out ideas and get back opinions. I don't think the criticism is specifically aimed at the winners, since we don't know them personally.  Just like rock stars and other celebrities, the people in these articles become targets for readers to point at, but when we go to bed at night, it really makes no difference to us.  If it does, I strongly suggest therapy! :-)

One of the most important things people forget when they mention David Edwards (who didn't win nearly this amount) or Jack Whittaker (who was already financially well-off) is that they both have addictive personalities.  According to the news articles, Edwards was a drug addict and Whittaker was an alcoholic before winning the lottery.   

I agree with KY Floyd that it is unlikely this couple will blow everything, but I don't think they know what they're in for if they think they can stay in the same small town without consequences.  I have no idea what the neighbors are like, but I assume they are human.  Jack Whittaker tried to do good works by building a church and helping people in need, but it was never enough. 

This reminds me of a story in the local paper when a Naples man in a small mobile home won the FL lottery.  The press was going door to door asking his neighbors about him.  All they knew was he packed up and said he was going away for a few days and disappeared.  Nobody knew he won until it was announced in the news.  In fact, the contact at the Lottery Headquarters said he filled out the forms and quietly returned for his check and slipped away.  Unless there's an article on LP about this guy (the park is called the Fifth Wheel) I doubt if I'll ever remember his name.  Smart man.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
    Member #52345
    May 21, 2007
    2657 Posts
    Posted: February 26, 2008, 3:43 pm - IP Logged

Why does Lottery winners always want a Hummer?

cause its the other "Trend Mobile" and or unaware that Mercedes Benz makes the better 4x4 and I ain't talkin about the G-wagens

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
      Harbinger
      D.C./MD.
      United States
      Member #44103
      July 30, 2006
      5583 Posts
      Posted: February 26, 2008, 4:21 pm - IP Logged

The G-Wagons have the clearance of a Ford Taurus, they are very heavy, and don't make a good 4X4 for off-road usage, they are good for on-asphalt all wheel drive on wet roads, that is about it. You don't see em on the beach.

I got this one for the price of a down payment on a car,  to pull the boat and whatever else, full power, A/C, tow pkg. etc.  My point is you don't need a jackpot win, to do what you want. 

Suburban 84 P.S.  You don't need Hans or Franz from Wulfsburg Tech. to fix it either.

United States
        Member #13801
        April 14, 2005
        48 Posts
        Posted: February 26, 2008, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

JWBlue said, "Does anyone else feel that turning in the ticket as soon as possible outweigh any other considerations?"

Yes.  I would turn in the ticket immediately.  You don't get the money for 2 weeks, so that should be more than enough time to meet with financial advisors and formulate an initial financial plan.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: February 26, 2008, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

I don't know, but I find Hummers to be ugly vehicles.

I Agree!   When they first came out, they were popular around Naples.   They're a status symbol I suppose.

When I worked for a Lincoln dealership, the Mercury Mountaineer had just been released.  It was really a Ford Explorer with a different grille and a higher price.  One of the most obnoxious couples I ever met (who should have been divorced) fought over what color to get. I finally sold them a green one and the wife came back that night screaming because it didn't quite match her Sea-Doo.  My manager let her take another one home for the afternoon and she finally agreed on a white one (I like black better) after I convinced her it would go with all her outfits and whatever she towed.

People are nuts.

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
            CA
            United States
            Member #57222
            December 23, 2007
            587 Posts
            Posted: February 26, 2008, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

I think the $270 mega millions winner went public too soon. Come on, he won on friday went public on saturday.  He should have done more planning before going public.  My Mom said He looked so worried on today's news on channel 7.

They definitely went public WAAAAY TO SOON! What were they thinking?

"IF YOU WIN IT, THEY WILL COME.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
              Member #5344
              June 30, 2004
              23641 Posts
              Posted: February 26, 2008, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

When we win the big one, hubby and I are going to plan  vacation and go away for a while.  Let things calm down a great deal and then decide which day before the time limit we will collect.  Probably will not be before the pot is hit a few times so our hit will be old news.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

San Diego, CA
                United States
                Member #58386
                February 12, 2008
                287 Posts
                Posted: February 26, 2008, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

When we win the big one, hubby and I are going to plan  vacation and go away for a while.  Let things calm down a great deal and then decide which day before the time limit we will collect.  Probably will not be before the pot is hit a few times so our hit will be old news.

In an ideal world, that is what I would do.  I would go on a 5 month vacation and then turn in the ticket.   But I would be nervous that something would happen to the ticket.  I would put it in a safetly deposit box, but I would be paranoid that a huge sink hole would destroy the bank and my ticket with it. 

Instead I would turn it in the next day.

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                  Charlotte NC
                  United States
                  Member #17406
                  June 18, 2005
                  4053 Posts
                  Posted: February 26, 2008, 11:00 pm - IP Logged
                  To the winning couple

takeemtothebank

benir4u's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                    Sacramento,Ca
                    United States
                    Member #1954
                    July 31, 2003
                    1933 Posts
                    Posted: February 28, 2008, 8:32 pm - IP Logged
                    To the winning couple

Okay, I agree congrats, but I also agree that the safety and security would have been foremost on my book and the lawyer because would have taken the first precaution of getting the phone cutoff and staging the family in a different location.  I think that Mr. Whitaker was an good example of what not to do when you win a large sum of money like that.

wantmoney's avatar - chess smart.jpg
                      Delaware
                      Greenland
                      Member #58665
                      February 23, 2008
                      28 Posts
                      Posted: February 28, 2008, 11:23 pm - IP Logged

I think this couple need not this myraid of money.  They will share it with their grandsons.   Good luck  Cheers

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                        Member #24380
                        October 21, 2005
                        623 Posts
                        Posted: March 9, 2008, 3:42 am - IP Logged

I think the $270 mega millions winner went public too soon. Come on, he won on friday went public on saturday.  He should have done more planning before going public.  My Mom said He looked so worried on today's news on channel 7.

I said maybe.  Who knows?  The winner might have already planned for this winning day a long time ago and had all the little ducks lined up in a row in regards to financial planning; just needed the money to utilize the plan!  Who knows? 

Houston
                          United States
                          Member #59189
                          March 9, 2008
                          1 Posts
                          Posted: March 9, 2008, 4:01 am - IP Logged

I said maybe.  Who knows?  The winner might have already planned for this winning day a long time ago and had all the little ducks lined up in a row in regards to financial planning; just needed the money to utilize the plan!  Who knows? 

So they went public a bit quick, but who knows what I would do if I were BLESSED to win that amount of money. 
                          I'm sure the ticket is in a very very safe place until they can reach Lottery Headquarters.  It's easy to say what we would or would not do if we're not in a particular situation.  As we all know this is a dream come true and the excitement just wouldn't let them wait an extra day or so!!  Heck, knowing me I would have come forward ASAP too, watch out for me!!!

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                            CA
                            United States
                            Member #57222
                            December 23, 2007
                            587 Posts
                            Posted: March 9, 2008, 11:12 am - IP Logged

So they went public a bit quick, but who knows what I would do if I were BLESSED to win that amount of money. 
                            I'm sure the ticket is in a very very safe place until they can reach Lottery Headquarters.  It's easy to say what we would or would not do if we're not in a particular situation.  As we all know this is a dream come true and the excitement just wouldn't let them wait an extra day or so!!  Heck, knowing me I would have come forward ASAP too, watch out for me!!!

Then prepare yourself for not only the media backlash, but all the "friends" and relatives that will come out of nowhere and hound you forever.Group Hug

st.germain's avatar - Tarlor
                              chicago ill.
                              United States
                              Member #3600
                              February 4, 2004
                              337 Posts
                              Posted: March 9, 2008, 11:24 am - IP Logged

Then prepare yourself for not only the media backlash, but all the "friends" and relatives that will come out of nowhere and hound you forever.Group Hug

Oh by golly!!!!   That sure looks like my long lost brother!!! By golly!! Yeah...it sure looks like him!

How do I get in touch with him......so that I can profess my long feelings for him (and his cash)...I really missed him all these years.  If only I can reach him....I miss him soooo much (and his money).

I'll be packing my bags and take my two dogs with me so that we be reunited as soon as possible!

Oh! Lost brother of mine...Where art thou!  Would you even remember me. LOL!

Evil Smile