Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 7:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Anonymity a Sheild for Not Being Hounded

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 9 years ago by TexasDreams.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Do you EVER hear of billionaires or millionaires hiding?

Yes, I know of billionaires who are hounded [ 3 ]  [8.82%]
Yes, I know of millionaires who are hounded [ 2 ]  [5.88%]
Not sure, would like to learn their privacy secret [ 3 ]  [8.82%]
No, I have not heard they were hounded [ 3 ]  [8.82%]
Maybe only Lottery Winners are hounded [ 3 ]  [8.82%]
I do not know or care, I am broke [ 7 ]  [20.59%]
Never gave the question that much thought [ 10 ]  [29.41%]
Not sure [ 3 ]  [8.82%]
Total Valid Votes [ 34 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
Member #24380
October 21, 2005
623 Posts
Posted: March 9, 2008, 3:52 am - IP Logged

As I reviewed the Forbes list of the top billionaires in the US, I wondered if any of them are ever hounded for money.  IF they are, I have never heard of it, nor do I hear of their family members being kidnapped for ransom money.  Just never heard it.  Then the millionaires in the nine figures, never heard of them being harassed either.  If I ever won, maybe I would say, I" will match what (whatever millionaire or billionaire I chose) gives you."  If the billionaire complied....Oh the problems of having money. and me and my big mouth!ROFL LOL!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #56506
    November 21, 2007
    6537 Posts
    Posted: March 9, 2008, 4:35 am - IP Logged

Honestly, I've never gave it much thought whether any billionaires or millionaires are hounded. I don't really keep track of the Forbes list or anything. However, I am sure that those people who are in that status group have been harassed or bothered once or twice.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
      CA
      United States
      Member #57222
      December 23, 2007
      587 Posts
      Posted: March 9, 2008, 8:42 am - IP Logged

Both millionaires and billionaires are hounded. Probably on a constent basis.  Maybe not an influx of reporters in one day like a lottery winner.  But I know that they are hounded by the charities all the time for donations.  They are the main target.  Think about Palm Beach FL.  being the capital for charity donations.  As for kidnapping, yes I know of one case where a hedgefund(sp?) manager, who makes over $800 million (yes thats the right amt.) per year.  He was kidnapped for a $1 million dollar randsom.  They were caught and he was unharmed.  But of course the wealthy and/or powerful are almost never alone so I guess as a rule kidnapping of them is difficult. 

And I thought I was the only person who followed the forbes lists.

I read the full articles in the magazine as well.  It gives fantastic financial advice, but I must admit, reading about the personal, sometimes rags to riches stories are inspirational as well.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
        Member #5344
        June 30, 2004
        23641 Posts
        Posted: March 9, 2008, 10:51 am - IP Logged

With that kind of money you have to readjust who you hang out with.  If you stay with those of your status, then you would not have to worry about being hounded.

I wouldn't want to give up the friends I have now.   I can call any when in need, and they can call me.

Hubby and I jackpot dreamed last night.   He hardly ever talks about what he would like to see done.  He said he had 15 friends he wanted to give a Million Dollars.   I was surprised.  Then again I should have figured. He does have a big heart.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
          Member #5344
          June 30, 2004
          23641 Posts
          Posted: March 9, 2008, 11:05 am - IP Logged

Hubby and I have several friends who have made it big.   Either through wills or through hard work and business sense.

Hubby has about 30 friends who he has kept up with since high school.  Of the 30 their are probably 8 millionaires in the mix now.

The group gets together twice a year as a whole and in little groups throughout.

No one is treated any different from the rest.  The rich aren't hounded and neither do they put down the rest of us who made less than a million in the year 2007. 

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
            Member #50124
            February 26, 2007
            601 Posts
            Posted: March 9, 2008, 12:32 pm - IP Logged

A couple years ago a handyman that worked for David Letterman was arrested for plotting to kidnap Letterman's son for ransom.  Tntea, it's impossible to associate with only those of your financial status unless you never need plumbing or yardwork, or car repairs done.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: March 9, 2008, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

Do you remember when the grandson of J.P. Getty was kidnapped in the 70s?  They demanded a $17 million ransom.  The kidnappers cut off his ear and mailed it to the family.   

Speaking of this family, I saw an interview on TV a long time ago...one of those Barbara Walters shows.  Her guest that night was J. Paul Getty Jr.  Anyway, if I recall, she asked if he receives letters from people who are needy.  He said it happened all the time, but that he started a private foundation to which he donated to causes he believed were important and had a secretary who handled other charities. In England he was respected as a generous philanthropist.  I remember this show because of something he said to her.  She was asking about people who write and say "my child needs an operation" and he answered "I can't play God." 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10390 Posts
                Posted: March 9, 2008, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

How about Osma Bin Laden? At one time he was worth$600,000,000.

Not to condone what he stands for, but I don't see any Warren Buffets or Bill Gates hiding out in caves in the mountains for a cause.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: March 9, 2008, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

"With that kind of money you have to readjust who you hang out with.  If you stay with those of your status, then you would not have to worry about being hounded."

So you are saying what....that you should dump your not-so-fortunate friends and relatives?   

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10390 Posts
                    Posted: March 9, 2008, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

Well, Credence Clearwater Didn't (Fortunate Son)

Drum

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                      Idaho
                      United States
                      Member #56506
                      November 21, 2007
                      6537 Posts
                      Posted: March 9, 2008, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

With that kind of money you have to readjust who you hang out with.  Ifyou stay with those of your status, then you would not have to worryabout being hounded.

I would and could never give up my family and friends that I have now if I won a jackpot. Those who are in my life at the moment are the same people I want in my life after. 

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

four4me's avatar - gate1
                        MD
                        United States
                        Member #1701
                        June 18, 2003
                        8392 Posts
                        Posted: March 9, 2008, 3:19 pm - IP Logged

Anyone who reaches for a certain status in life and makes the grade can expect to be troubled by the less fortunate. This includes the boss or owners of a company while maybe not a millionaire or billionaire because he or she has reached a certain platform people tend to think they might be a soft touch or wiser wealthier than the rest of the community.

There are few ways a person with millions or billions can hide. Unless he or she lives within a certain dollar factor like a pauper.

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                          Member #50124
                          February 26, 2007
                          601 Posts
                          Posted: March 9, 2008, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

Anyone who reaches for a certain status in life and makes the grade can expect to be troubled by the less fortunate. This includes the boss or owners of a company while maybe not a millionaire or billionaire because he or she has reached a certain platform people tend to think they might be a soft touch or wiser wealthier than the rest of the community.

There are few ways a person with millions or billions can hide. Unless he or she lives within a certain dollar factor like a pauper.

True, but I think it must be worse for a lottery winner because people perceive that the winner's money was "free" therefore they should be willing to share it.  I've had a clerk expect me to share a lousy $100 win with her.  I've never seen a clerk ask for a share of a $1000 paycheck as they cashed it.  I assume because paychecks are considered "earned & deserved" whereas wins are not.

United States
                            Member #59167
                            March 8, 2008
                            174 Posts
                            Posted: March 9, 2008, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

There is absolutely no reason to become a recluse.  They have been making millionaires all around the world every day. Thank you world wide lottery!  How many can you name off the top of your head? How many can you find in an hour?  There are cities jam packed with millionaires. Some places, you cannot even buy property because of the number of rich people.  Joe-Crook driving up the side streets of Rush Limbaugh's house in Palm Beach is gonna get about two blocks before his 2001 Chevy is pulled over. Plus, the rich buy alarms systems that come with instant response. The super-rich (like Oprah) have guards at the 15-foot gates around the palace. Do they get hounded with requests for give-aways. SURE! Do they read them? NOPE! They have "people" to handle that small time activity. Trach companys make fortunes off of hauling away junk mail.
                            Do you have to change friends? No you don't, but be prepared to pay their way for everything.  They can't afford the lifestyle you WILL become used to. It is always published that "they will not change" and a year later, they changed. Money changes people. NO? Go look up those lottery winners who would not change, and a year later you can't find them, they are gone. It is called comfort.  Those friends from last year, can't keep up with you, and sooner or later, they become scroungers or become left behind. Not Mom & Pop, but Mike from the supermarket is no longer seeing you at the store. Yes, money changes you. If it don't, you're dead!

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                              CA
                              United States
                              Member #57222
                              December 23, 2007
                              587 Posts
                              Posted: March 9, 2008, 4:19 pm - IP Logged

Hey MFYL

I think  its the people around you who change first.  They expect you to fund their way through life and yes, I think people who receive lucky financial windfalls are then forced to change and/or become a recluse just so they can have the peace that they lived prior the their luck changing.  Now I don't mean  the purchasing of "things" thats not a life change  its something you do.  Im talking about buying a home in a gated community, stop hanging around friends or even having contact with family that become freeloaders and yes even quitting their jobs.  Because let's face we all want to leave our jobs, we just can't afford to.
                              I think you change after  those around you change and force it upon you.

Just my personal opinion.