Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Anonymity a Sheild for Not Being Hounded

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 9 years ago by TexasDreams.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Do you EVER hear of billionaires or millionaires hiding?

Yes, I know of billionaires who are hounded [ 3 ]  [8.82%]
Yes, I know of millionaires who are hounded [ 2 ]  [5.88%]
Not sure, would like to learn their privacy secret [ 3 ]  [8.82%]
No, I have not heard they were hounded [ 3 ]  [8.82%]
Maybe only Lottery Winners are hounded [ 3 ]  [8.82%]
I do not know or care, I am broke [ 7 ]  [20.59%]
Never gave the question that much thought [ 10 ]  [29.41%]
Not sure [ 3 ]  [8.82%]
Total Valid Votes [ 34 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  

United States
Member #59167
March 8, 2008
174 Posts
Posted: March 9, 2008, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

Hey MFYL

I think  its the people around you who change first.  They expect you to fund their way through life and yes, I think people who receive lucky financial windfalls are then forced to change and/or become a recluse just so they can have the peace that they lived prior the their luck changing.  Now I don't mean  the purchasing of "things" thats not a life change  its something you do.  Im talking about buying a home in a gated community, stop hanging around friends or even having contact with family that become freeloaders and yes even quitting their jobs.  Because let's face we all want to leave our jobs, we just can't afford to.
I think you change after  those around you change and force it upon you.

Just my personal opinion.

Just so I am not taken wrong.  I have ten close friends that, given a huge enough lottery deposit, I would turn into multi-millionaires.  Most buy employing them at a high salary and giving them job descriptions that enables us to all to be together. Each not feeling inadequate or depressed because they can't pull their weight.  The pulled their weight when I needed them, and now I would have a chance to support them.  Which is part of the reason I do not want to settle for a small jackpot, but want a huge deposit.

The people down the street that say "hello", but never stop in to chat? Good-bye, Adios!  The doorman will stop them at the ground floor. The cousin who hasn't talked to me since the 70's? Good-bye, Adio! The brother who refused to give me a special deal on the car I wanted in the 80-'s? Good-bye, Adios!

Will I change? Y-E-S ! Not much on the inside. On the outside, Katy, bar the door. My goal is to go out in Luxury, the finest that can be bought. Luxury for my parents. Luxury for my Grandparents. Luxury for the friends I mentioned. Luxury that can be partioned out for the next twenty years, and then it won't matter is there is nothing left.

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    CA
    United States
    Member #57222
    December 23, 2007
    587 Posts
    Posted: March 9, 2008, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

Just so I am not taken wrong.  I have ten close friends that, given a huge enough lottery deposit, I would turn into multi-millionaires.  Most buy employing them at a high salary and giving them job descriptions that enables us to all to be together. Each not feeling inadequate or depressed because they can't pull their weight.  The pulled their weight when I needed them, and now I would have a chance to support them.  Which is part of the reason I do not want to settle for a small jackpot, but want a huge deposit.

The people down the street that say "hello", but never stop in to chat? Good-bye, Adios!  The doorman will stop them at the ground floor. The cousin who hasn't talked to me since the 70's? Good-bye, Adio! The brother who refused to give me a special deal on the car I wanted in the 80-'s? Good-bye, Adios!

Will I change? Y-E-S ! Not much on the inside. On the outside, Katy, bar the door. My goal is to go out in Luxury, the finest that can be bought. Luxury for my parents. Luxury for my Grandparents. Luxury for the friends I mentioned. Luxury that can be partioned out for the next twenty years, and then it won't matter is there is nothing left.

But MFYL

What you said doesnt seem to me that seem like a change.  It just shows what you plan to "do" with your winnings.  If you are saying that you will do those things even now before winning, it tells me that it is the kind of person you already are.  It sounds pretty good- it seems like something that is in your heart now, so, so far there doesnt seem to be a change, right?

And no i'm not talking about  the stuff you will "buy" or "do for family and friends. that's different than changing who you are.

United States
      Member #59167
      March 8, 2008
      174 Posts
      Posted: March 9, 2008, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

But MFYL

What you said doesnt seem to me that seem like a change.  It just shows what you plan to "do" with your winnings.  If you are saying that you will do those things even now before winning, it tells me that it is the kind of person you already are.  It sounds pretty good- it seems like something that is in your heart now, so, so far there doesnt seem to be a change, right?

And no i'm not talking about  the stuff you will "buy" or "do for family and friends. that's different than changing who you are.

You're mostly right. But as I have said, huge amounts of money equal huge amounts of power. Evey one is familar with the theory on power. Look what it did to sweet, jovial, loveable, Bill Gates.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10353 Posts
        Posted: March 9, 2008, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

Money and power didn't effect the late Sam Walton much. 

Founded Wal Mart and kept driving a nine year old pick up truck, speals volumes.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
          Member #13130
          March 30, 2005
          2171 Posts
          Posted: March 9, 2008, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, but look what his kids thought of "Made in USA"

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
            Member #59167
            March 8, 2008
            174 Posts
            Posted: March 9, 2008, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

Founded Wal Mart and kept driving a nine year old pick up truck, speals volumes.

Yeah, and look at the Wal-Mart family now!  Nothing there to be proud of. Children bribing their way through school exams. Moving away from the old homestead and living in Condo's in Hawaii and Las Vegas. The old homestead is now a tourist attraction, charging an enterance fee. Used have huge signs saying, We sell American, buy American.  Now they import most of their products from China.  The only volume I heard was when they closed the family portrait book and buried it in the ground with the rest of the old man. The Walton family is a prime example of the power of corruption.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: March 9, 2008, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

I won't tell all of my stories again!  (and there is a collective long sigh of relief...)  However, I've met some very down-to-earth people and later discovered they were multi-millionaires.  I'm not talking about having a million or 2, since that's not uncommon these days.  When I lived on Sanibel in a small home on a dirt road, my neighbor lived in an older CBS home that I'm guessing was around 1,200 s.f.  He drove a pickup and always wore jeans.  One day I saw the same last name in the paper as the owner of a few multi-million dollar properties on Sanibel and Captiva.  Turned out to be the same guy.  That was only 1 story. LOL 

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7315 Posts
                Posted: March 9, 2008, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

As I reviewed the Forbes list of the top billionaires in the US, I wondered if any of them are ever hounded for money.  IF they are, I have never heard of it, nor do I hear of their family members being kidnapped for ransom money.  Just never heard it.  Then the millionaires in the nine figures, never heard of them being harassed either.  If I ever won, maybe I would say, I" will match what (whatever millionaire or billionaire I chose) gives you."  If the billionaire complied....Oh the problems of having money. and me and my big mouth!ROFL LOL!

I've known people that carry their entire life's savings in their pockets or hide it under their mattress and you probably won't even find their names on the 'thousandaires list'. Those people will never become billionaires or multi-millionaires that know enough to not have a large amount of money on their person or in their homes.

Who would be the more logical mark for a mugger or thief?

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                  Member #13130
                  March 30, 2005
                  2171 Posts
                  Posted: March 9, 2008, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

Has anyone noticed that we are
                  starting to all post more and more alike? Embarassed

Thinking of...

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                  Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: March 9, 2008, 7:04 pm - IP Logged

Has anyone noticed that we are
                    starting to all post more and more alike? Embarassed

Thinking of...

No.  I actually think there has been more arguing on LP than ever before, but that's only my observation.  Or maybe Todd has subliminal messages on this site and we're being brainwashed as part of a study on human behavior.

Wink

Edit: There are some members who curiously use the same style of writing, the same spelling and grammar errors and often have the same opinion..if that's what you meant.

Idea

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                      Idaho
                      United States
                      Member #56506
                      November 21, 2007
                      6537 Posts
                      Posted: March 9, 2008, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

No.  I actually think there has been more arguing on LP than ever before, but that's only my observation.  Or maybe Todd has subliminal messages on this site and we're being brainwashed as part of a study on human behavior.

Wink

Edit: There are some members who curiously use the same style of writing, the same spelling and grammar errors and often have the same opinion..if that's what you meant.

Idea

You notice that too? Crazy

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10353 Posts
                        Posted: March 9, 2008, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, and look at the Wal-Mart family now!  Nothing there to be proud of. Children bribing their way through school exams. Moving away from the old homestead and living in Condo's in Hawaii and Las Vegas. The old homestead is now a tourist attraction, charging an enterance fee. Used have huge signs saying, We sell American, buy American.  Now they import most of their products from China.  The only volume I heard was when they closed the family portrait book and buried it in the ground with the rest of the old man. The Walton family is a prime example of the power of corruption.

That's part of the point about Sam Walton.

While he was still alive Wal Mart was advertising but Americam and there were Made In USA signs all over the stores.

As soon as he passed away, that all changed.

But what you described above is Wal Mart, now, without him.

I was talking about Sam Walton, the person- and how money and power didn't effect him.

We've had other discussions on this, but you can't assume everyone trying to hit a jackpot is after power. Quite a few, in fact most, just want to be financially comfortable.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                          Member #59167
                          March 8, 2008
                          174 Posts
                          Posted: March 9, 2008, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

That's part of the point about Sam Walton.

While he was still alive Wal Mart was advertising but Americam and there were Made In USA signs all over the stores.

As soon as he passed away, that all changed.

But what you described above is Wal Mart, now, without him.

I was talking about Sam Walton, the person- and how money and power didn't effect him.

We've had other discussions on this, but you can't assume everyone trying to hit a jackpot is after power. Quite a few, in fact most, just want to be financially comfortable.

Was not talking about Sam, the individual; ole Sam had some good ideas. I was talking about the ability of huge amounts of money to corrupt.  Not those with $1M, those with $10M, or even those with $40M  Those with one hundred million! The Waltons and the Gates family are examples of corruption.  Are there those that money does not corrupt. There is always some one who does not fit the template, but it does not invalidate the template.  The concept that power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely, did not become popular by accident.

I've never had a goal to be "financially comfortable", I am already financially comfortable.  My retirement package enables me to live in Las Vegas, and see all the strip has to offer. I can fly first-class whenever I fly.  That is, and has never been my goal. I want it all. I want to travel on leased jets, take those half-million dollar trips to China and South Africa. I want to own companies, run by friends, and to determine my complete future for years to come. $15M doesn't achieve that. I want the one hundred million dollar (plus) take home paycheck!

United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10353 Posts
                            Posted: March 10, 2008, 1:23 am - IP Logged

Was not talking about Sam, the individual; ole Sam had some good ideas. I was talking about the ability of huge amounts of money to corrupt.  Not those with $1M, those with $10M, or even those with $40M  Those with one hundred million! The Waltons and the Gates family are examples of corruption.  Are there those that money does not corrupt. There is always some one who does not fit the template, but it does not invalidate the template.  The concept that power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely, did not become popular by accident.

I've never had a goal to be "financially comfortable", I am already financially comfortable.  My retirement package enables me to live in Las Vegas, and see all the strip has to offer. I can fly first-class whenever I fly.  That is, and has never been my goal. I want it all. I want to travel on leased jets, take those half-million dollar trips to China and South Africa. I want to own companies, run by friends, and to determine my complete future for years to come. $15M doesn't achieve that. I want the one hundred million dollar (plus) take home paycheck!

Good luck in Las Vegas. I lived there from 1977 to 1993. When I got there it was the tail end of Las Vegas and hadn't yet become Las Vegas, Incorporated.

For the first five years or so it's really fun. Then that kind of tones down.

Then you get to the point that if you hear one more person ask "Who hit the royal" you want to strangle them.

I got off work one day and was driving home and there was a body on the sidewlak on West Sahara. That's when I knew it was time to scoot.

Buono Fortuna 

Lep

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                              PA
                              United States
                              Member #22983
                              October 6, 2005
                              2226 Posts
                              Posted: March 10, 2008, 2:25 am - IP Logged

That is because the lottery doe snot want to get "hounded" by people question the integrity of the game by now listing winners. No one really cares about anonymity until it is them who wins. Funny thing about clerks as I said in the past, they never seem to want to offer any money back to me for all my losses. So why should they get any winnings? They shouldn't, plain and simple. Never had any ask though, they know better.