Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 9:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Anonymity a Sheild for Not Being Hounded

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 9 years ago by TexasDreams.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Do you EVER hear of billionaires or millionaires hiding?

Yes, I know of billionaires who are hounded [ 3 ]  [8.82%]
Yes, I know of millionaires who are hounded [ 2 ]  [5.88%]
Not sure, would like to learn their privacy secret [ 3 ]  [8.82%]
No, I have not heard they were hounded [ 3 ]  [8.82%]
Maybe only Lottery Winners are hounded [ 3 ]  [8.82%]
I do not know or care, I am broke [ 7 ]  [20.59%]
Never gave the question that much thought [ 10 ]  [29.41%]
Not sure [ 3 ]  [8.82%]
Total Valid Votes [ 34 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
grengrad's avatar - nw rogue.jpg
Raleigh
United States
Member #49057
January 17, 2007
172 Posts
Posted: March 10, 2008, 10:08 am - IP Logged

I know a few millionaires, and they do not get hounded, but the difference is that they do not have a high profile.

Maybe a couple hundred people know they are millionaires. A large lotto winner has millions of people who know they are winners and worth millions.

rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
    mn
    United States
    Member #59040
    March 4, 2008
    276 Posts
    Posted: March 10, 2008, 10:43 am - IP Logged

If someone should win the lottery it is best to win the 15 mil after someone else wins a record amount on the previous jackpot. Someone here said that on a recent post.

That way no one cares enough about you to hound. But if one should win and cant request anonymity or create legal entities, they would really seek seclusion at least temporary, until the fame die down.

United States
      Member #17180
      June 13, 2005
      10 Posts
      Posted: March 10, 2008, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

If someone should win the lottery it is best to win the 15 mil after someone else wins a record amount on the previous jackpot. Someone here said that on a recent post.

That way no one cares enough about you to hound. But if one should win and cant request anonymity or create legal entities, they would really seek seclusion at least temporary, until the fame die down.

That's sound advice.

If you're really lucky there might be some huge news story that breaks the same day. That could help a little.

Last thing you want is a record jackpot and a slow news day! 

mn
        United States
        Member #59040
        March 4, 2008
        276 Posts
        Posted: March 10, 2008, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

That's sound advice.

If you're really lucky there might be some huge news story that breaks the same day. That could help a little.

Hilarious and so true.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10392 Posts
          Posted: March 10, 2008, 7:07 pm - IP Logged

The more I learn about the Aussie lotto from our LP members in Oz the better it sounds all the time- posters here have said it's tax free for the winner- instead $1 AUS the tickets are $1.03 AUS and thus the tax has already been paid, and remaining anonymous is the norm.

Sounds good to me, that's the kind of lotto that should be used as a model.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

mn
            United States
            Member #59040
            March 4, 2008
            276 Posts
            Posted: March 10, 2008, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

The more I learn about the Aussie lotto from our LP members in Oz the better it sounds all the time- posters here have said it's tax free for the winner- instead $1 AUS the tickets are $1.03 AUS and thus the tax has already been paid, and remaining anonymous is the norm.

But it isn't, is it?

If nobody likes the rules, move to europe or australia and win there, if you're not then stop complainin.

ps I sell everything at a loss but make up for it in volume is a catchy quote, dont know who milo is but that quote is pretty good for what its about

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
              Indiana
              United States
              Member #48725
              January 7, 2007
              1958 Posts
              Posted: March 10, 2008, 9:37 pm - IP Logged

Meh, claiming anonymously wouldn't help me out much. After all, driving around in a $375,000 Lamborghini must mean something.CoolApprove

Gonna win.Big Smile

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                PA
                United States
                Member #22983
                October 6, 2005
                2226 Posts
                Posted: March 10, 2008, 11:17 pm - IP Logged

Yes that would be me.  I always have said that here.

Fayetteville, Arkansas
                  United States
                  Member #58962
                  March 2, 2008
                  29 Posts
                  Posted: March 11, 2008, 12:47 am - IP Logged

I don't think there's any question that anonymity is preferable. Yes, there are many, many millionaires in the US. But how many people are there with $30M or more? And, as the number climbs higher, the air gets much more rarified.

Kidnapping is a reality. The Mexican mafia is, right now, coming across the border and kidnapping members of rich American families from shopping malls, taking them back to Mexico, torturing them and holding them for ransom. This is happening today. Living behind walls with an armed security force is the only sane thing for a rich person who is "out" to do, imho.

If I were to win the lottery, no one would know. I wouldn't even tell my wife until I had mapped out our strategy in detail and then presented her with a litany of horror stories as to what could happen once the cat were let out of the bag. I have ideas for alternative explanations of where our sudden increase in income -- the evidence for which would emerge very gradually -- has come from. And most of our money would be hidden from prying eyes in long-term investments, which would hide the magnitude of our fortune from casual observers.

This approach would also solve the friend problem, to some extent. Furthermore, true friends would not expect to share your wealth in the first place; those "friends" who do are doing you a favor by showing you their true colors. Rich people have always had poorer friends, often paying their way for the pleasure of their company.

The comments about money changing people recalled to my mind a speech by Francisco d'Anconia, one of the principal characters in Ayn Rand's magnum opus, Atlas Shrugged, concerning the meaning of money. You can find the full text on the web, if interested.

"Money will not purchase happiness for the man who has no concept of what he wants: money will not give him a code of values, if he's evaded the knowledge of what to value, and it will not provide him with a purpose, if he's evaded the choice of what to seek. Money will not buy intelligence for the fool, or admiration for the coward, or respect for the incompetent. The man who attempts to purchase the brains of his superiors to serve him, with his money replacing his judgment, ends up by becoming the victim of his inferiors. The men of intelligence desert him, but the cheats and the frauds come flocking to him, drawn by a law which he has not discovered: that no man may be smaller than his money....

"Only the man who does not need it, is fit to inherit wealth--the man who would make his own fortune no matter where he started. If an heir is equal to his money, it serves him; if not, it destroys him. But you look on and you cry that money corrupted him. Did it? Or did he corrupt his money?"

There's a lot of food for thought in that speech.

The balls have no memory.

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                    Member #24380
                    October 21, 2005
                    623 Posts
                    Posted: March 11, 2008, 1:44 am - IP Logged

True, but I think it must be worse for a lottery winner because people perceive that the winner's money was "free" therefore they should be willing to share it.  I've had a clerk expect me to share a lousy $100 win with her.  I've never seen a clerk ask for a share of a $1000 paycheck as they cashed it.  I assume because paychecks are considered "earned & deserved" whereas wins are not.

Earned and Derserved.  Hmmmn.  I never thought of it like that.  That does make a difference in the moinds of many.  Maybe that is why the Lotto winners are hounded so.  I do not think that "Jack" was hounded before he won the famous Christmas Day PB and he was a millionaire before he won too.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                      Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: March 11, 2008, 1:56 am - IP Logged

People are definitely hounded just because they have fame & fortune....look at what celebrities go through with the paparazzi.  Paris Hilton took advantage of the public's interest in the rich and famous and decided to make a career out of being a rich brat, which was very smart. 

I agree with Lilly that easy money is looked at in a different light. 

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                        PA
                        United States
                        Member #22983
                        October 6, 2005
                        2226 Posts
                        Posted: March 11, 2008, 2:25 am - IP Logged

I don't think there's any question that anonymity is preferable. Yes, there are many, many millionaires in the US. But how many people are there with $30M or more? And, as the number climbs higher, the air gets much more rarified.

Kidnapping is a reality. The Mexican mafia is, right now, coming across the border and kidnapping members of rich American families from shopping malls, taking them back to Mexico, torturing them and holding them for ransom. This is happening today. Living behind walls with an armed security force is the only sane thing for a rich person who is "out" to do, imho.

If I were to win the lottery, no one would know. I wouldn't even tell my wife until I had mapped out our strategy in detail and then presented her with a litany of horror stories as to what could happen once the cat were let out of the bag. I have ideas for alternative explanations of where our sudden increase in income -- the evidence for which would emerge very gradually -- has come from. And most of our money would be hidden from prying eyes in long-term investments, which would hide the magnitude of our fortune from casual observers.

This approach would also solve the friend problem, to some extent. Furthermore, true friends would not expect to share your wealth in the first place; those "friends" who do are doing you a favor by showing you their true colors. Rich people have always had poorer friends, often paying their way for the pleasure of their company.

The comments about money changing people recalled to my mind a speech by Francisco d'Anconia, one of the principal characters in Ayn Rand's magnum opus, Atlas Shrugged, concerning the meaning of money. You can find the full text on the web, if interested.

"Money will not purchase happiness for the man who has no concept of what he wants: money will not give him a code of values, if he's evaded the knowledge of what to value, and it will not provide him with a purpose, if he's evaded the choice of what to seek. Money will not buy intelligence for the fool, or admiration for the coward, or respect for the incompetent. The man who attempts to purchase the brains of his superiors to serve him, with his money replacing his judgment, ends up by becoming the victim of his inferiors. The men of intelligence desert him, but the cheats and the frauds come flocking to him, drawn by a law which he has not discovered: that no man may be smaller than his money....

"Only the man who does not need it, is fit to inherit wealth--the man who would make his own fortune no matter where he started. If an heir is equal to his money, it serves him; if not, it destroys him. But you look on and you cry that money corrupted him. Did it? Or did he corrupt his money?"

There's a lot of food for thought in that speech.

Really? Do you have links to verify such reports? I checked a lot of news sites and did not see any such reports about this.

Fayetteville, Arkansas
                          United States
                          Member #58962
                          March 2, 2008
                          29 Posts
                          Posted: March 11, 2008, 4:07 am - IP Logged

Really? Do you have links to verify such reports? I checked a lot of news sites and did not see any such reports about this.

I don't think I've read about it on the web. I've seen more than one report on TV, though. I've been watching a lot of CNN and MSNBC, following the Democratic primary contest. In the process, I catch regular news from time to time.

I'm sure you can find it on the web if you look, though, especially if you check the news sites.

The balls have no memory.

mn
                            United States
                            Member #59040
                            March 4, 2008
                            276 Posts
                            Posted: March 11, 2008, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

Yes that would be me.  I always have said that here.

the winning after someone else wins is a pretty good quote, thats why i remembered it

TexasDreams's avatar - Trek ROMSYM2.gif
                              Houston, Texas
                              United States
                              Member #56457
                              November 19, 2007
                              55 Posts
                              Posted: March 12, 2008, 9:39 am - IP Logged

Just so I am not taken wrong.  I have ten close friends that, given a huge enough lottery deposit, I would turn into multi-millionaires.  Most buy employing them at a high salary and giving them job descriptions that enables us to all to be together. Each not feeling inadequate or depressed because they can't pull their weight.  The pulled their weight when I needed them, and now I would have a chance to support them.  Which is part of the reason I do not want to settle for a small jackpot, but want a huge deposit.

The people down the street that say "hello", but never stop in to chat? Good-bye, Adios!  The doorman will stop them at the ground floor. The cousin who hasn't talked to me since the 70's? Good-bye, Adio! The brother who refused to give me a special deal on the car I wanted in the 80-'s? Good-bye, Adios!

Will I change? Y-E-S ! Not much on the inside. On the outside, Katy, bar the door. My goal is to go out in Luxury, the finest that can be bought. Luxury for my parents. Luxury for my Grandparents. Luxury for the friends I mentioned. Luxury that can be partioned out for the next twenty years, and then it won't matter is there is nothing left.

I agree with this statement, a friend of mine won the Texas Lotto back in 1996. Neither her or her husband changed. We still go for our monthly lunches and take turns buying. We are real friends who enjoy each others company;but, not those who expect a free ride just because one of us can afford to pay all the time. I mean lets look at it a little closer, we all have friends. Some make more than us and others don't; therefore, we don't expect the ones who make more to always pay for lunch or dinner???? I think winning any lotto would cause me to think different in regards to what kind of home, car, subdivision or future college for the kids, but I would still be the same person!

A few years ago, billionaire Warren Buffett advised  "Investors should remember that excitement and expenses are their enemies. And if they insist on trying to time their participation in equities, they should try to be fearful when others are greedy and greedy only when others are fearful."