Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you won powerball or megamillion

Topic closed. 62 replies. Last post 8 years ago by DC81.

Page 3 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

Would you share your money with others or be stingy

Share with others [ 60 ]  [55.05%]
stingy [ 22 ]  [20.18%]
give to church [ 5 ]  [4.59%]
charity [ 10 ]  [9.17%]
schools [ 2 ]  [1.83%]
poor [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
homeless [ 1 ]  [0.92%]
sick [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
people who need it in the US [ 8 ]  [7.34%]
people who need it in other countries [ 1 ]  [0.92%]
Total Valid Votes [ 109 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
DC81's avatar - batman39
MI
United States
Member #54830
August 31, 2007
985 Posts
Posted: March 28, 2008, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

O_o Why are you posting the poll in a post when someone just has to scroll up and look? Especially when it's out of date once someone else votes.

There's a very simple reason why I wouldn't "share the wealth" (except for when it's to help reduce my tax burden) and that's because typically the more you give away the more everyone will want. Want to see that in action? Donate $5 to a "non-profit" group and then watch them annoy the hell out of you for more money and maybe even sell your name/address to other companies to bug the hell out of you. Then when it comes to friends and family you're also just opening a can of worms, especially if they're idiots which almost all my relatives are. There's maybe two people I'd help out any and that's my mother and grandmother but even still I'm not going to go nuts and give them a huge sum of money, just enough to maybe cover debts or buy a new home. No one would get a cent until I have everything set and taken care of. Everyone else could jump off a cliff for all I care. If it's something like 40 million (after taxes) I see no reason why I couldn't just live off the interest but it would be nice to have the money handy incase there's a need for it. Then there's limited investments and getting away from the US dollar as much as possible, heh.

I don't call it being stingy or greedy, I call it being smart. 

You can't predict random.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
    Member #41383
    June 16, 2006
    1969 Posts
    Posted: March 29, 2008, 1:53 am - IP Logged

There are certain people in my life who have stuck beside me, and helped me through alot of difficult times, asking nothing in return.

so, you can believe when I win, expecially if its for a large amount, I'm going to take care of the people who are nearest and dearest to me.

So, yes...I will share...:) 

Well put. Kudos.

I have a sister who I would help out, a brother that is a multi-millionaire and doesn't need help, and another brother I'd consider hiring a hit-man for (sic), an Uncle that is a millionaire, and an Aunt that is a multi-millionaire.....   so there you have it.   I'd help out my sister.

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7298 Posts
      Posted: March 29, 2008, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

If I won let say powerball tonight 3/15/08 and recieved 135 million I would have to help others.

Thanks and Good Luck  

In grade school the teacher saw a kid chewing gum and told them if the didn't have enough gum to share with all the others kids, they couldn't have it. So I suppose to avoid being called stingy, jackpot winners must share with all the other players and send them each a buck?

DC81's avatar - batman39
        MI
        United States
        Member #54830
        August 31, 2007
        985 Posts
        Posted: March 29, 2008, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

That would be funny, specially when they've gone completely and totally broke with no way to even pay the left over taxes on it. I had a teacher tell me that and one time I just took a stick of gum and tore it into a bunch of tiny pieces to "share". They didn't say I had to give everyone the same amount, but I'm sure they would have wanted more... But no one seemed to want it..... I was kicked out of class that day for being a smart ass... Poke

Vergie6's avatar - DSCN5541
          North Carolina
          United States
          Member #59855
          March 29, 2008
          31517 Posts
          Posted: March 29, 2008, 10:13 pm - IP Logged

I would definitely help and share with others because if you let a lot of it go back you will get back.  That's the way this world works with money and everything.....you get back what you give.

JustFrozen's avatar - scenery water_mountains.jpg
            OC, CALI
            United States
            Member #59564
            March 19, 2008
            76 Posts
            Posted: March 31, 2008, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

Yeah but unfortunately most people don't like the idea of giving $'s and getting back something unknown in return

Vergie6's avatar - DSCN5541
              North Carolina
              United States
              Member #59855
              March 29, 2008
              31517 Posts
              Posted: March 31, 2008, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

Yeah but unfortunately most people don't like the idea of giving $'s and getting back something unknown in return

I believe if you give $'s you will get back $'s too.  I didn't mean I thought you would get back something unknown in return.  Anyway it's worked for me.

Old Eagle's avatar - bald13
                Washington
                United States
                Member #51939
                May 2, 2007
                1373 Posts
                Posted: April 10, 2008, 11:13 pm - IP Logged

I have it all mapped out, as any good finance exec would do.  After taxes, 30% goes to charity (church, BSA, organizations that support kids with disabilities, etc.) and family members (brothers, sisters, inlaws, etc.); 50% goes into investments and trusts for my immediate family, (kids are still teenagers); the remaining 20% is available for spending on the immediate family (house, cars, sailboat, travel, etc.)  The real key is to keep the event (winning) a solid secret and make it a condition of the gifts to the family members to not reveal the source or amounts received. 

"To most people, the sky is the limit.  To those who love to fly, the sky is home"

dingo's avatar - lottery of-birth.jpg
                  San Jose, California
                  United States
                  Member #42003
                  June 26, 2006
                  206 Posts
                  Posted: April 13, 2008, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

I vote for stingy.

I give money but with consideration rather than let people think that I am a CASH COW; they can come to squeeze money out at anytime.

When I win the jackpot, I will be Big Foot's neighbor.

This is a quote from a song,

"Money, when I have I give it unconditionally. When I am in need, asking ye, Can I get it back?"

"Rich, attract many followers; Lonely, solitude when I am poor."

DC81's avatar - batman39
                    MI
                    United States
                    Member #54830
                    August 31, 2007
                    985 Posts
                    Posted: April 13, 2008, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

Pretty much, if you got it, they want it and if you don't they want nothing to do with you.

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                      Member #4121
                      March 23, 2004
                      817 Posts
                      Posted: April 15, 2008, 8:30 am - IP Logged

Pretty much, if you got it, they want it and if you don't they want nothing to do with you.

So true.  That is human nature.

GamerMom's avatar - tails

United States
                        Member #60535
                        April 21, 2008
                        460 Posts
                        Posted: April 29, 2008, 10:14 am - IP Logged

I live in Alabama so there's no chance of me ever winning it but I do play the florida state lottery.  I would love to offer to send my parents to a luxurious rehab as they are both pill heads and alcoholics.  It would be nice to be able to turn somebody's life around.

Bagent's avatar - avatar 10424.gif
                          Vancouver, WA
                          United States
                          Member #53665
                          July 15, 2007
                          151 Posts
                          Posted: April 30, 2008, 3:10 am - IP Logged

I marked that I would donate to school.  While I understand that US schools are in a tough shape, I feel that I would share with a school or two in the Philippines.  I know of several schools that are in dire need there for supplies and other items that would lead to a better education for the kids there.  I would likely choose a school in the area that my wife is from and sponsor the entire school for a year.

I also have ties with the Girls' Little League Softball team in a Bocolod and will likely provide financial aide to the team in the form of equipment and should they win again and get to come to the US for the championship world series, I would pay for the team and coaches to all come here.

United States
                            Member #59167
                            March 8, 2008
                            174 Posts
                            Posted: April 30, 2008, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

First of all, normal charities are off the list; e.g. churches, red cross, etc.  I would prefer my charities be a dog clinic or resuce center of some kind.  Dogs always give, and ask nothing in return; except food and water. People immediately turn greedy, especially when they don't get what they consider enough.  I have some friends and I evaluate what I feel they would give me, if they won, and determine that is the amount I would give them. Best guess. The children and grandchildren would get what I figure I won't spend before I die.  A small stash in a trust, in case I live longer then I anticipated. If a stranger should walk up to my door, and hand me a stash of money - before I win the jackpot - I would return the favor.  Right now, I don't see a lot of people in the neighborhood buying my groceries or filling my tank out of generosity.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                              Member #4877
                              May 30, 2004
                              5118 Posts
                              Posted: May 1, 2008, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

PSYKOMO........voted the norm......."share it with other's">>

My experience with U-HAUL-IT >>>>>> has not been that GREAT!!!!

I once drove ah..... U-HAUL-IT >>>>>> truck thru a tunnel and LEFT

the the whole DARN BODY of the truck on the opposite end of the

tunnel I drove thru->>>>>>>>>>>>> ?????????????????????????

SO ..........what do YOU-DO>>>>>>>>  ????????????????????????

DROVE what was left of the TRUCK back to the RENTAL COMPANY

and demanded my MONEY>>>>>>>>   BACK>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

GOT-it-TOO.....................& told them to solve the  problem  and

call the POLICE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

remember>>>>>>SHARE with OTHER's>>>>>

LOL

PSYKOMO