Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you won powerball or megamillion

Topic closed. 62 replies. Last post 8 years ago by DC81.

Page 5 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

Would you share your money with others or be stingy

Share with others [ 60 ]  [55.05%]
stingy [ 22 ]  [20.18%]
give to church [ 5 ]  [4.59%]
charity [ 10 ]  [9.17%]
schools [ 2 ]  [1.83%]
poor [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
homeless [ 1 ]  [0.92%]
sick [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
people who need it in the US [ 8 ]  [7.34%]
people who need it in other countries [ 1 ]  [0.92%]
Total Valid Votes [ 109 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
Bondi Junction
Australia
Member #57242
December 24, 2007
1102 Posts
Posted: July 19, 2008, 12:34 am - IP Logged

I would not share it with family or friends. Not because I am mean, but because if I were to do so, I would first have to tell them I had won and that would open up a whole new can of worms. They would expect me to cough-up for everything. Some people think if the win millions, they think they can solve all the problems of their family and friends and they go broke trying. By all means give some to charity, but it would be better to invest win and use some of the profits to assist charity. A million dollar jackpot sounds great, but if it's not managed prudently it will fritter away.

st.germain's avatar - Tarlor
    chicago ill.
    United States
    Member #3600
    February 4, 2004
    337 Posts
    Posted: July 21, 2008, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

I don't think that a "Big" win in mega or powerball can be kept a secret....The word will get out somehow. As

soon as I won a huge amount I would disappear and send out postcards from spots around the world with the caption saying  " Catch me if you can " ....... . And I would help out people as I saw fit.  All while outfitting my retirement home far from those  who would try to take advantage of me and set up a new life living as simply as I possibly can. 

I think that a new poll should be taken as in : "CAN YOU KEEP A SECRET"  ?   If you won Million's.

Lurking

DC81's avatar - batman39
      MI
      United States
      Member #54830
      August 31, 2007
      985 Posts
      Posted: July 21, 2008, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

I think you could, even a huge one... Of course the problem is family and how you handle them, if one or two find out then the rest will probably soon enough. As long as you can keep your name out of the press release you've at the very least, limited the number of people who would find out by a huge amount. Of course living in the same area you also can't go nuts with spending either, especially if you're in a small town. I think family would at least be more managable (even if they're largly crooks) since you'd have a much smaller number of people to be on the look out for... Unless unless they go and blab to anyone who'll listen.. >_<

Only saving grace would be if you're close to absolutely no one in your family.

There's just a lot of factors that need to be taken into consideration. For me, the main thing would be to keep my name out of the press where it'll go online and be there forever so anyone could look me up. Try putting your name in a search engine sometime. Unless you have a really common last name (first name wouldn't hurt either) you'd be really easy to find.

You can't predict random.