Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:25 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I won the Little lotto

Topic closed. 37 replies. Last post 9 years ago by CCHS13.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Chicago
United States
Member #60155
April 7, 2008
3 Posts
Posted: April 7, 2008, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

Ey guys, i won the little lotto. I haven't told anybody about it yet.. but i was wondering how can i maximize my money? you know like having someone else cash it who will have to pay less in tax returns and/or get some money back from tax next year. please help. thanks.

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8360 Posts
    Posted: April 7, 2008, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

Ey guys, i won the little lotto. I haven't told anybody about it yet.. but i was wondering how can i maximize my money? you know like having someone else cash it who will have to pay less in tax returns and/or get some money back from tax next year. please help. thanks.

if you give your ticket to someone else to cash for you it's not your ticket anymore it whomever signs the ticket.

take care of it yourself.

talk with a tax consultant if you want to figure out what you will owe when you cash your ticket and what you will owe at the end of the year.

Talk with an investor if you want to invest your winnings.

And cash your ticket and put the money in the bank take enough out to have a good time and think about what you are going to do with your win fall. let the excitement of wining ware off some before you go crazy and spend it all.

cadmill12's avatar - praying hands.jpg
      Brooklyn, NY
      United States
      Member #48262
      December 18, 2006
      36 Posts
      Posted: April 7, 2008, 1:29 pm - IP Logged

MAKE SURE IT'S A PERSON YOU TRUST, Ask a senior citizen maybe your grandparents or mother or father.  Make sure you pay them for using their social security #.

When they cash in the ticket go with them.

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8360 Posts
        Posted: April 7, 2008, 1:40 pm - IP Logged

MAKE SURE IT'S A PERSON YOU TRUST, Ask a senior citizen maybe your grandparents or mother or father.  Make sure you pay them for using their social security #.

When they cash in the ticket go with them.

Yea if you do do that make sure they don't owe the state any money because if the do they will take that money out of the winnings.

Just because a person is retired doesn't mean they wouldn't owe taxes on the win.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
          Chicago
          United States
          Member #60155
          April 7, 2008
          3 Posts
          Posted: April 7, 2008, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

thanks, i didn't know abou that sign thing. so if i sign it something like ... this ticket can't be cashed unless in the presense of yada yada yada.. it would probably be a good thing in case i lose it right? and yeah i've already contacted my financial advisor.. just waiting for his email.

Chicago
            United States
            Member #60155
            April 7, 2008
            3 Posts
            Posted: April 7, 2008, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

thanks, i was thinking that same thing. so i if have one of my grandparents cash it for me they probably would have to pay little or no money in tax right?

four4me's avatar - gate1
              MD
              United States
              Member #1701
              June 18, 2003
              8360 Posts
              Posted: April 7, 2008, 2:01 pm - IP Logged

heres a link to Illinois lottery facts page scroll down to where it says

http://www.illinoislottery.com/subsections/news03.htm#num14

Must i pay taxes on my lottery winnings.

this applies to anyone who wins the lottery.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23260 Posts
                Posted: April 7, 2008, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/171860

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                  Member #47420
                  November 4, 2006
                  3930 Posts
                  Posted: April 7, 2008, 3:10 pm - IP Logged

Get some guts and cash it yourself..If and when I hit big I will never let anyone else cash my ticket to many problems when someone else is in on it..Do it yourself..Glad you won big like we all want to..

Raven62's avatar - binary
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #17843
                    June 28, 2005
                    49674 Posts
                    Posted: April 7, 2008, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

Be Responsible: Cash the Ticket and pay the Taxes you're Legally Obligated to Pay!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Captain Lotto's avatar - CaptLotto
                      Jefferson City, MO
                      United States
                      Member #55250
                      September 20, 2007
                      97 Posts
                      Posted: April 7, 2008, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

No offense intended, but when I read something like this, the first thing I think is someone is trying to avoid paying their dues.  Maybe they have back-taxes or child-support payments.  I know it's going to take a chunk, but won't it feel great to be clear of all that?

It's become a big problem in Missouri.  Retailers cashing prizes beyond their limit, people splitting tickets to avoid taxes, or giving them to someone else to avoid state bills.  There are plenty of ways to reduce your tax burden, but trying to further game the system is asking for trouble.  Just man up and take the lump. 

Again, no offense if you were just asking how to avoid paying too much in taxes. 

Captain Lotto

"Every day is a good day!"

konane's avatar - wallace
                        Atlanta, GA
                        United States
                        Member #1265
                        March 13, 2003
                        3333 Posts
                        Posted: April 7, 2008, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

if you give your ticket to someone else to cash for you it's not your ticket anymore it whomever signs the ticket.

take care of it yourself.

talk with a tax consultant if you want to figure out what you will owe when you cash your ticket and what you will owe at the end of the year.

Talk with an investor if you want to invest your winnings.

And cash your ticket and put the money in the bank take enough out to have a good time and think about what you are going to do with your win fall. let the excitement of wining ware off some before you go crazy and spend it all.

I Agree!    Great advice. 

Also keep all of your non-winning tickets bought this year as an expense against your winnings.

Good luck to everyone!

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7302 Posts
                          Posted: April 7, 2008, 3:43 pm - IP Logged

thanks, i was thinking that same thing. so i if have one of my grandparents cash it for me they probably would have to pay little or no money in tax right?

The amount of the winnings is income and they will probably deduct 25% for federal taxes so that means next year your grandparents have a much higher income. You never mentioned how much you won, but if it's over $25,000 you will probably be better off cashing it yourself and talking to a good tax accountant.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                            Idaho
                            United States
                            Member #56506
                            November 21, 2007
                            6537 Posts
                            Posted: April 7, 2008, 4:14 pm - IP Logged

Congrats on your win. Like others have said already, I think you should cash the ticket yourself, unless you have someone in your life that you can completely trust not to rip you off.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

LottoAce's avatar - WWI Flying_Ace.gif
                              N.C.
                              United States
                              Member #56005
                              October 28, 2007
                              829 Posts
                              Posted: April 7, 2008, 4:25 pm - IP Logged

Congrats on your win!!...I also agree that you should cash the ticket yourself.

I don't know how much you won, but if it was me, I would place a good deal of that money offshore, like in Switzerland. that way, I wouldn't have to pay taxes on the dividends...

Hey,...I'm all for sticking it to tha man!! expecially considering that Uncle Sam bends us over ever chance he gets.

"know your limitations, but excede your expectations"