Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you have the "FEELING" that you'll win or just the "HOPE"?

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 8 years ago by psykomo.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Do you FEEL/KNOW you're going to win a big jackpot...or just HOPE you do?

I FEEL it! I'm gonna win THE jackpot! [ 29 ]  [50.00%]
I don't FEEL it, but I HOPE to win THE jackpot [ 10 ]  [17.24%]
I used to FEEL it, don't anymore, now I just HOPE [ 12 ]  [20.69%]
I don't FEEL it and anyone who does is delusional [ 4 ]  [6.90%]
None of the above [ 3 ]  [5.17%]
Total Valid Votes [ 58 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
Indiana
United States
Member #48725
January 7, 2007
1953 Posts
Posted: June 11, 2008, 12:10 am - IP Logged

What kind of system is it that you may have to wait 20 years for it to win?  In 20 years there will have been plenty of winners with no system who just got lucky with a QP.

Sounds like my system, I'm starting to think even with it I'm going to have to be lucky to win. 

I don't know if it will take 20 years. I hope it doesn't, and really, I don't think it will. I'd say it's a pretty good system, but when we're talking about a game with millions of combinations, luck will still play a role in a jackpot win, system or not. I don't believe in a system that can predict the winning numbers every single drawing, which I don't claim my system to do. I just think that someday, with the aid of my system, as well as some luck, that my numbers will fall. I don't care how good of a system someone has, if they win a jackpot, they still got lucky. Their system just helped them.

Gonna win.Big Smile

California
    United States
    Member #61514
    May 25, 2008
    67 Posts
    Posted: June 11, 2008, 12:32 am - IP Logged

When Ohio started the Buckeye 5 (5/37), I "knew" I was going to match all 5 numbers and win a $100,000 jackpot because I had some success matching 4 and 5 numbers in the lotto game. I matched many 3's and a few 4's but never won the big one and over time the feeling became more of a hope. The game is now 5/39 with rolling jackpots starting at $100,000.

I believe with a sound playing strategy that can return most of our wagers that will keep us in the game it's possible, but it's still a hope. We know it's possible to buy a couple of QPs or play birthday numbers and win Powerball or Mega Millions, but millions of players have that feeling and "know" they are going to that every week.  The reality is just a hope for most players and only the jackpot winners can say they "knew" they going to win.

"...millions of players have that feeling and "know" they are going to thatevery week.  The reality is just a hope for most players and only thejackpot winners can say they "knew" they going to win."

I Agree!

California
      United States
      Member #61514
      May 25, 2008
      67 Posts
      Posted: June 11, 2008, 12:47 am - IP Logged

I'm surprised that #3 got as many votes as it did.  There are more of you out there who have "converted" than I thought there would be.

For everyone who "knows" that you're going to win,  I really hope you do so you won't end up disappointed.  But in, say, 5 years from now, if you still haven't won, will your absolute certainty that you're going to win still be as strong?

I think as years go by and you see other people winning and it still hasn't happened for you yet, it's going to be hard to maintain that "I know I'm going to win!" belief.

But, hey, you'll still have the "hope" of winning, even if you've lost the "feeling". Smile

DC81's avatar - batman39
        MI
        United States
        Member #54830
        August 31, 2007
        985 Posts
        Posted: June 11, 2008, 3:14 am - IP Logged

Why did that make me think of a Righteous Brothers song? O_o

I'll know I'll win once I invent time travel! WHOOO! Banana

You can't predict random.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10344 Posts
          Posted: June 11, 2008, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

I'm surprised that #3 got as many votes as it did.  There are more of you out there who have "converted" than I thought there would be.

For everyone who "knows" that you're going to win,  I really hope you do so you won't end up disappointed.  But in, say, 5 years from now, if you still haven't won, will your absolute certainty that you're going to win still be as strong?

I think as years go by and you see other people winning and it still hasn't happened for you yet, it's going to be hard to maintain that "I know I'm going to win!" belief.

But, hey, you'll still have the "hope" of winning, even if you've lost the "feeling". Smile

Re: Those who "converted"- if we were to conduct a pol within a poll, I'd be curious as to how long people who voted for that option have been playing.

I think that maybe, just maybe, everyone who plays long enough might come to that conclusion- unless of course they hit a jackpot along the way!

Smile

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: June 11, 2008, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

Why did that make me think of a Righteous Brothers song? O_o

I'll know I'll win once I invent time travel! WHOOO! Banana

You never choose my picks any more when I play your game

And there's no other way I can bet that will feel the same (oh, no, no baby)

I'm trying hard not to blow it, Baby

But Baby, Baby I know it

I get that winning feeling

Then it's gone, gone, gone whooooooh

GamerMom's avatar - tails

United States
              Member #60535
              April 21, 2008
              460 Posts
              Posted: June 11, 2008, 10:08 pm - IP Logged

I bet many people on this board share that "FEELING" you mention.  I've read a lot of posts stating "I  KNOW" but the problem is there are only about 8 or 9 jackpots a year and millions of people buying tickets.  We can all hope. 

A rabbi & a priest go to a boxing match together.  They watch as each boxer steps into the ring.  The rabbi sees one of the boxers cross himself. So he turns and asks the priest, "What does that mean?" The priest answers, "Not a damn thing if the man can't fight!"

define jackpot.   I consider the beginning 3 million in FLorida state lottery to be a jackpot and there are a lot more tahn 8 or 9 a year! Heck i'd be happy with the 6 grand from 5 out of 6, that's still a jackpot to me!!

Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: June 11, 2008, 10:51 pm - IP Logged

define jackpot.   I consider the beginning 3 million in FLorida state lottery to be a jackpot and there are a lot more tahn 8 or 9 a year! Heck i'd be happy with the 6 grand from 5 out of 6, that's still a jackpot to me!!

Hi, GamerMom!  Since you quoted my post, I assume you were responding to what I wrote.  I agree the 5/6 would be great, but I was responding to the general attitude on the board about what a "jackpot" is and that's usually at least $1 million.  I was thinking of PB and/or MM.  Of course I'd be happy winning $3M.  That's usually about $1.6M cash less tax.   I'd be happy splitting it too! 

I was only guessing about the 8 or 9 winners, since I think I've read that's the average per year for PB or MM, but I'd have to look at the statistics.  To date in 2008 there have been 9 Lotto winners in FL, so there are probably an average of about 20.  Of course it all depends on the amount of rollovers.  AFAIK nobody has won our state Lotto game in 2 months.

So forgetting about the over 300 million people in this country & narrowing it down to 18 million people in FL, even if you take less than 1 percent of everyone who lives here that's 180,000.  With an average of 20 Lotto jackpots a year, it would take 9,000 years for just 1% of the population of Florida to win a big jackpot.  Let's say that only 10% of the people (which is probably low) play at all.  That's 1,800,000 and 1% of that is 18,000.  Sounds better, but divide that by 20 and you still need 900 years for 1% of just 10% of the population to win a Lotto jackpot.  No sarcasm meant..honestly.  I hope I win just as badly as anyone else.  (Someone please correct me if my math is wrong.)

I just looked at the downloads available on the FL site and it looks as if the $3 million jackpots aren't nearly as common as the rollovers.  There are only a couple each year. 

United States
                  Member #60535
                  April 21, 2008
                  460 Posts
                  Posted: June 11, 2008, 10:53 pm - IP Logged

wow xploring you really know your stuff!  thanks for all the math ya did, that's very interesting :)

Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: June 11, 2008, 11:02 pm - IP Logged

wow xploring you really know your stuff!  thanks for all the math ya did, that's very interesting :)

Not really, but boy did I just get myself depressed!  Sometimes I think it's better to wear rose colored glasses.  (she writes as she eagerly waits for the Wed evening results clinging to her Lotto tickets...)

United States
                      Member #60535
                      April 21, 2008
                      460 Posts
                      Posted: June 11, 2008, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

me too!  good luck to ya Cheers

One2Adore's avatar - butterfly2
                        Maryland
                        United States
                        Member #50566
                        March 8, 2007
                        88 Posts
                        Posted: June 12, 2008, 8:51 am - IP Logged

I was just thinking about this very same thing yesterday.  I don't need a huge jackpot, just a jackpot period.  With enough accruing interest to live comfortably off of for the rest of my life.  Smile

Think about it though, if you only count MM and PB, there are 4 chances of winning each week.  Luckily I live in Maryland and work in DC, so I can participate in both lotteries.  For this reason, I have a "feeling" I'm going to hit the jackpot some day.

Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.

One2Adore's avatar - butterfly2
                          Maryland
                          United States
                          Member #50566
                          March 8, 2007
                          88 Posts
                          Posted: June 12, 2008, 8:55 am - IP Logged

You never choose my picks any more when I play your game

And there's no other way I can bet that will feel the same (oh, no, no baby)

I'm trying hard not to blow it, Baby

But Baby, Baby I know it

Then it's gone, gone, gone whooooooh

Guitar    I'm sitting here singing this song in my head and crackin' up!!    Guitar

Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19815 Posts
                            Posted: June 12, 2008, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

I don't know if it will take 20 years. I hope it doesn't, and really, I don't think it will. I'd say it's a pretty good system, but when we're talking about a game with millions of combinations, luck will still play a role in a jackpot win, system or not. I don't believe in a system that can predict the winning numbers every single drawing, which I don't claim my system to do. I just think that someday, with the aid of my system, as well as some luck, that my numbers will fall. I don't care how good of a system someone has, if they win a jackpot, they still got lucky. Their system just helped them.

" I don't believe in a system that can predict the winning numbers every single drawing,......"

What about once every two years or so?  Actually once in a life time would be plenty.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                              Member #59579
                              March 20, 2008
                              205 Posts
                              Posted: June 12, 2008, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

" I don't believe in a system that can predict the winning numbers every single drawing,......"

What about once every two years or so?  Actually once in a life time would be plenty.

Yes, I'm with definitely with you!I Agree!