Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 3:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Does God pick the winners

Topic closed. 59 replies. Last post 8 years ago by RJOh.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
four4me's avatar - gate1
MD
United States
Member #1701
June 18, 2003
8360 Posts
Posted: June 17, 2008, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

i don't know about that - to go into his thoughts and assume he wouldn't condone it - it seemed that Jesus didn't care for gambling - after finding them playing poker in the temple and whipping them good, that i can say, no Jesus appeared to HATE gambling - this is going into that territory and individual belief of believing they are one in the same - Jesus, now, he liked being homeless and required that rich ruler to give up his big $$ to follow him - God, i'm not so sure about - seems that the god of the old testiment likes riches and made sure his favorites [david/solomon] stayed with them .. but as for gambling .. that's a whole other topic of finding it in the bible or the sense of gambling .. not what preachers and their fuzzy logic have interpreted .. just curious, you're a God believer and that logic and yet you're a platinum member of a lottery site? how would the two reconcile themselves within you?

What?

I was born and raised a catholic i struggle with my beliefs... while i believe in god his son and the holy ghost.  Throughout the years i have been crushed so many times i wondered if it was all his plan or just my own failings.

When i play the lottery i know i am not doing gods will. I am constantly reminded of this by my wife who is a born again Christian. She and her clergy have reminded me that it's every Christians job to spread the word and try and convert non Christians into Christianity.

I view winning the lottery as a gift to myself.... it would be blasphemous to say a gift from god because i really don't think god has anything to do with people winning money. When i win money i thank him anyway just in case there was some Devinne intervention. However when you win money it's because you were lucky plane and simple. People create their own luck by thinking positive and having a desire to win.  

On many days when i have won money from the lottery it was almost as if i knew it was going to happen or a pleasant surprise. Nevertheless i am torn between spending cash on some other worth wile project or hobby.

Before i joined lottery post i was a casual player playing once in a while. Since joining i have chased numbers like as if it's my duty to try and out think what numbers they will draw next. I guess you could call it an outlet or hobby. Believing like most that there might be a way to make substantial income from playing lottery games.   

I have come to realize there is no specific way to win lottery games. It's all a crap shoot or luck of the draw. Soon i may start curtailing my serious playing habits and go back to casual playing.

Gosh this sounds almost like a confession. I know what i am doing might not be right but i do it anyway.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
    Sandra Dee's avatar - dandy
    Bayonne
    United States
    Member #61147
    May 13, 2008
    129 Posts
    Posted: June 17, 2008, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

I was born and raised a catholic i struggle with my beliefs... while i believe in god his son and the holy ghost.  Throughout the years i have been crushed so many times i wondered if it was all his plan or just my own failings.

When i play the lottery i know i am not doing gods will. I am constantly reminded of this by my wife who is a born again Christian. She and her clergy have reminded me that it's every Christians job to spread the word and try and convert non Christians into Christianity.

I view winning the lottery as a gift to myself.... it would be blasphemous to say a gift from god because i really don't think god has anything to do with people winning money. When i win money i thank him anyway just in case there was some Devinne intervention. However when you win money it's because you were lucky plane and simple. People create their own luck by thinking positive and having a desire to win.  

On many days when i have won money from the lottery it was almost as if i knew it was going to happen or a pleasant surprise. Nevertheless i am torn between spending cash on some other worth wile project or hobby.

Before i joined lottery post i was a casual player playing once in a while. Since joining i have chased numbers like as if it's my duty to try and out think what numbers they will draw next. I guess you could call it an outlet or hobby. Believing like most that there might be a way to make substantial income from playing lottery games.   

I have come to realize there is no specific way to win lottery games. It's all a crap shoot or luck of the draw. Soon i may start curtailing my serious playing habits and go back to casual playing.

Gosh this sounds almost like a confession. I know what i am doing might not be right but i do it anyway.

'your sins have been forgiven my son' Blue Angel but this must suck for you - my family is super religious, hence how i am now 100% not [merely spiritual] and they wouldn't think of playing but have told me that when I WIN, they can't wait to get some money from that ... but if you're feeling guilty, i don't think it's worth it [like sex, drinking, drugging] whatever, just don't do it! you'll never enjoy your money - and then there is the 10% tithing bit - does your church get it!? i should hope not since they're not supporting you and if you should win an OBSCENE amount, what then? they'll be envious and hope you spend it on them and when you don't they'll just keep reminding you it's the devils money! get out now, it's not good for you!

the bigger question is which one, your CHURCH OR LotteryPost? hmmmmm Bat

DC81's avatar - batman39
      MI
      United States
      Member #54830
      August 31, 2007
      985 Posts
      Posted: June 17, 2008, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

I think guilt leads to a lot of problems lottery winners have, so don't feel guilty if you win! I could go on a rant but I won't. If it makes to feel better by all means give it away, but I doubt it'd make you feel any better in the long term. Instead of giving 10% to a church that doesn't likely need it, do the donating yourself and without the "help" of other organizations that will likely pocket 99% of it under the guise of "expenses".

You can't predict random.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19825 Posts
        Posted: June 17, 2008, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like you're feeling guilty about buying lottery tickets.  Don't be surprised if you get a PM or e-mail from someone you don't know who agrees with you that suggests you start spending your lottery money during good by helping others(mainly them).  I've never felt guilty about buying lottery tickets and I've gotten such messages.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8360 Posts
          Posted: June 18, 2008, 12:02 am - IP Logged

Sounds like you're feeling guilty about buying lottery tickets.  Don't be surprised if you get a PM or e-mail from someone you don't know who agrees with you that suggests you start spending your lottery money during good by helping others(mainly them).  I've never felt guilty about buying lottery tickets and I've gotten such messages.

It's not so much guilt as foolishness because i chase the pick 3/4 every draw 365 days a year 2x a day and play Bonus match 5 once in a while and mega mill every draw. Add up the losses versus the wins and if i don't win the pick 4 once or twice a year I'm just playing to be playing not making anywhere near the money i should playing the lottery. Numbers i drop come out numbers i forget to play come out. Numbers i pick to play miss by one. it's almost like a have the lottery dark cloud following me.

I feel i should be making 30/40 grand or more off of pick 4 a year. With all the tools here and all the excel files i keep tracking numbers and using a few paper and pencil methods i should be trapping the straights at least once a month.  I get enough boxed pick 4s to keep me floating from week to week.

Every time i switch methods of selecting my picks my older method works... when i combine methods it's like I'm throwing darts in the dark with a blind fold on I don't even come close. I'm just in the dumps about, it's going on six months without a pick 4 straight win.  I'll feel so much better when the straight comes my way.

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
            Kunming
            China
            Member #57910
            January 23, 2008
            3626 Posts
            Posted: June 18, 2008, 12:39 am - IP Logged

I think that "God" wants you to be prosperus. Abraham, Issac, Jacob, Salomon, Moses, etc... were ALL RICH!!!!!!!!!! Don't deny yourself. He doesn't want you to be poor. Accept it all because with everything there is a lesson to be learn. Until you cross over to the other side nobody really knows what happens. Don't feel guilty. As in everything alway think of the consequences. Evil people win the lottery, Good people win the Lottery. I personally don't think "God" picks the numbers but he has given all of us the ability to do it in one way of the other. Remember that "all religions" use fear to deny you of things you should have, some more than others. Just enjoy playing the lottery because the moment you don't it's time to get out. GOOD LUCK! 

Play to win!

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
              Member #41383
              June 16, 2006
              1969 Posts
              Posted: June 18, 2008, 12:51 am - IP Logged

Well said,  Blue AngelandI am still awaiting my turn.  I believe it is coming.  I have asked forit, not just for my own desires, but to be able to put it where I knowit will help the masses.

The problem is, EVERYONE is awaiting 'their turn', EVERYONE thinks 'it is coming', and 'everyone' has asked for it, but there are too many 'everyones' and not enough 'someones'.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19825 Posts
                Posted: June 18, 2008, 12:59 am - IP Logged

It's not so much guilt as foolishness because i chase the pick 3/4 every draw 365 days a year 2x a day and play Bonus match 5 once in a while and mega mill every draw. Add up the losses versus the wins and if i don't win the pick 4 once or twice a year I'm just playing to be playing not making anywhere near the money i should playing the lottery. Numbers i drop come out numbers i forget to play come out. Numbers i pick to play miss by one. it's almost like a have the lottery dark cloud following me.

I feel i should be making 30/40 grand or more off of pick 4 a year. With all the tools here and all the excel files i keep tracking numbers and using a few paper and pencil methods i should be trapping the straights at least once a month.  I get enough boxed pick 4s to keep me floating from week to week.

Every time i switch methods of selecting my picks my older method works... when i combine methods it's like I'm throwing darts in the dark with a blind fold on I don't even come close. I'm just in the dumps about, it's going on six months without a pick 4 straight win.  I'll feel so much better when the straight comes my way.

I know the feeling but fortunately I'm single and I can keep that foolish feeling to myself.  I only play the jackpot games so I have a little time to reflect between games.  I may miss a couple of drawings but it's not long before I'm just as sure as I ever was that I can win big and I'm playing again.  As long as I keep my loses to less than a couple grands a year, I'm satisfied. 

Evil Looking       

four4me's avatar - gate1
                  MD
                  United States
                  Member #1701
                  June 18, 2003
                  8360 Posts
                  Posted: June 18, 2008, 1:11 am - IP Logged

I think that "God" wants you to be prosperus. Abraham, Issac, Jacob, Salomon, Moses, etc... were ALL RICH!!!!!!!!!! Don't deny yourself. He doesn't want you to be poor. Accept it all because with everything there is a lesson to be learn. Until you cross over to the other side nobody really knows what happens. Don't feel guilty. As in everything alway think of the consequences. Evil people win the lottery, Good people win the Lottery. I personally don't think "God" picks the numbers but he has given all of us the ability to do it in one way of the other. Remember that "all religions" use fear to deny you of things you should have, some more than others. Just enjoy playing the lottery because the moment you don't it's time to get out. GOOD LUCK! 

I consider monetary wealth something other people have . I have always lived within my means not ever wanting what Joe across the street has. I buy what we need, i pay for what we need, i make sure the bills get paid etc. I consider my self successful in that i have several trades under my belt and can go switch from one trade to another if need be.

At some point in time i though that playing the lottery would be a good way to supplement my income. The problem from my point of view is it isn't working out as planned.  

Using the money i spend playing the lottery. I could say have invested in some stained glass classes bought my own tools and created a substantial income form doing that. I would Have made ten times the money i spent on the lottery fixing stained glass windows and making my own stained glass work.

Or work on antique cars, jalopies, and hot rods in my spare time. Things of that nature. It is always better to make money using your attributes. And my abilities to pick winning numbers are not my fine point. That is to say it's not that i cant pick numbers that win. They do come out only not when i play them it's like my luck is not in sync. Now whether thats is coming from an outside influence or my inner self who knows.

All i know is if i stopped playing some of my favorite picks they will come out straight. I know they will it's happened before when i went on a break from playing. Let me tell you the feeling of seeing your favorite numbers come out straight two or three times a month is enough to drive you up a wall.

8514 came out twice in august of 2002 i used to play that number every draw that year and missed it twice cause i went on a lottery break. I also played 8512 which also came out straight that month. I lost close to 30 grand by not playing.   

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
                    Kunming
                    China
                    Member #57910
                    January 23, 2008
                    3626 Posts
                    Posted: June 18, 2008, 2:39 am - IP Logged

I consider monetary wealth something other people have . I have always lived within my means not ever wanting what Joe across the street has. I buy what we need, i pay for what we need, i make sure the bills get paid etc. I consider my self successful in that i have several trades under my belt and can go switch from one trade to another if need be.

At some point in time i though that playing the lottery would be a good way to supplement my income. The problem from my point of view is it isn't working out as planned.  

Using the money i spend playing the lottery. I could say have invested in some stained glass classes bought my own tools and created a substantial income form doing that. I would Have made ten times the money i spent on the lottery fixing stained glass windows and making my own stained glass work.

Or work on antique cars, jalopies, and hot rods in my spare time. Things of that nature. It is always better to make money using your attributes. And my abilities to pick winning numbers are not my fine point. That is to say it's not that i cant pick numbers that win. They do come out only not when i play them it's like my luck is not in sync. Now whether thats is coming from an outside influence or my inner self who knows.

All i know is if i stopped playing some of my favorite picks they will come out straight. I know they will it's happened before when i went on a break from playing. Let me tell you the feeling of seeing your favorite numbers come out straight two or three times a month is enough to drive you up a wall.

8514 came out twice in august of 2002 i used to play that number every draw that year and missed it twice cause i went on a lottery break. I also played 8512 which also came out straight that month. I lost close to 30 grand by not playing.   

You sound like you're "crying over spilt milk" no disrespect intented. I think you are going into it with the wrong outlook.  You can make a living playing the lottery but few people do. They ARE professional gamblers. They know when to play and when to fold. Unfortunately I'm not one of them either so I tend to lose more than win. Don't "regret" what has already been spent. It is what it is. As the saying goes "timing is everything". Your timing is just off and that goes for alot of us, me included but I have faith and hope that the timing will be "right on the money" sooner rather than later, that's just me. Each individual judges success in different ways so don't feel bad if you NEVER win the jackpot because as you said you have succeeded in many other ways. That okay too. You said that your "abilities to pick winning numbers are not your fine point" and that's okay too. If you know your weaknesses then you can always try to strengthen them a little or a lot. It depends on you. Playing the lottery is a choice  that can bring you lots of joys or miseries depending on how you look at it. My advice is take a break and approach it in a different "light". There are many LP members that have "the gift" to picks numbers and can help you. There's no shame in that. Think like a winner and YOU will be one. GOOD LUCK!

Play to win!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19825 Posts
                      Posted: June 18, 2008, 4:06 am - IP Logged

You sound like you're "crying over spilt milk" no disrespect intented. I think you are going into it with the wrong outlook.  You can make a living playing the lottery but few people do. They ARE professional gamblers. They know when to play and when to fold. Unfortunately I'm not one of them either so I tend to lose more than win. Don't "regret" what has already been spent. It is what it is. As the saying goes "timing is everything". Your timing is just off and that goes for alot of us, me included but I have faith and hope that the timing will be "right on the money" sooner rather than later, that's just me. Each individual judges success in different ways so don't feel bad if you NEVER win the jackpot because as you said you have succeeded in many other ways. That okay too. You said that your "abilities to pick winning numbers are not your fine point" and that's okay too. If you know your weaknesses then you can always try to strengthen them a little or a lot. It depends on you. Playing the lottery is a choice  that can bring you lots of joys or miseries depending on how you look at it. My advice is take a break and approach it in a different "light". There are many LP members that have "the gift" to picks numbers and can help you. There's no shame in that. Think like a winner and YOU will be one. GOOD LUCK!

There are many LP members that have "the gift" to picks numbers and can help you.

There may be a few LP members that can pick a winner once in a while but they aren't getting rich doing it and they are going make anyone else rich doing it.  The facts are only 2%-3% of lotteries combinations played ever win anything and if you are going to play then you have to be prepared to lose some money.   The attraction is if you're one of the few who get lucky and win big then it will be worth all the loses.  Playing the lottery should be entertaining and if you win big then you're lucky but being lucky is something you can plan.

Evil Looking       

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                        PA
                        United States
                        Member #22983
                        October 6, 2005
                        2226 Posts
                        Posted: June 18, 2008, 5:01 am - IP Logged

I don't care who picks them, so as long as I am one of them.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                          Magnolia, Delaware
                          United States
                          Member #18795
                          July 20, 2005
                          789 Posts
                          Posted: June 18, 2008, 9:03 am - IP Logged

NO!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                            Harbinger
                            D.C./MD.
                            United States
                            Member #44103
                            July 30, 2006
                            5583 Posts
                            Posted: June 18, 2008, 9:26 am - IP Logged

Yes, if it is not RNG.

Because you can be assured it's REALLY NOT GOD when the numbers are picked (chosen).

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                              Zeta Reticuli Star System
                              United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10350 Posts
                              Posted: June 18, 2008, 10:43 am - IP Logged

jackpotismine

" You can make a living playing the lottery but few people do. They ARE professional gamblers. They know when to play and when to fold."

I'll agree with the know when to hold and know when to fold, but that in itself hints at professional gamblers being poker players for the most part. There are also those that making a living betting sports, and some that make a living betting the ponies (but they usually have inside information, AHEM!)

But "professional gambler" and "lottery" just do not mix. I had twenty years of casino work, most of it in Vegas, and of the few true professional gamblers I met none of them even played the lottery.

In gambling circles it's considerd that poker and sports are the only things that can be beat consistently, and of the professional gamblers that can do it they advise other people not to try it, it's a very tough way of making a living. Lotteries aren't even considered.

Anyone who tells you they make a living playing the lottery should start that statement with "Once upon a time..."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.