Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

$$ Beat The Pick 3 Odds $$

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Acheron.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
New Mexico
United States
Member #58526
February 18, 2008
683 Posts
Posted: July 22, 2008, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

There are many ways to wheel a group of numbers to play.
The more numbers in play, the greater number of sets one has to play to cover all the bases, so to speak.

What is missing here is the method used to select the 5 numbers to play.

Are you going to share your method(s)?

I usually select the five numbers randomly and then play them until they hit.  If I go five or six draws without a hit, I change them up.  If I have a gut feel for a number I will throw it in of course.

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
    Kunming
    China
    Member #57910
    January 23, 2008
    3626 Posts
    Posted: July 23, 2008, 1:56 am - IP Logged

I usually select the five numbers randomly and then play them until they hit.  If I go five or six draws without a hit, I change them up.  If I have a gut feel for a number I will throw it in of course.

Well said!

Play to win!

Shawn67's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
      Member #45970
      September 1, 2006
      4763 Posts
      Posted: July 24, 2008, 3:24 am - IP Logged

Wow....every once in a while you just get "tired" of "thinking" about what numbers to play. Tonight, I got a deck of cards and drew 5 "different" numbers to play (total of $10 investment when wheeled), and got a box hit!!! $70 profit gives me a little "wiggle room" to try this out a little more!!!

New Mexico
        United States
        Member #58526
        February 18, 2008
        683 Posts
        Posted: July 24, 2008, 3:55 am - IP Logged

Wow....every once in a while you just get "tired" of "thinking" about what numbers to play. Tonight, I got a deck of cards and drew 5 "different" numbers to play (total of $10 investment when wheeled), and got a box hit!!! $70 profit gives me a little "wiggle room" to try this out a little more!!!

Congrats!  DanceWhat seems to work the best for me after a hit is to just replace 1 or 2 of the numbers in your wheel that hit and keep the rest.  Good luck!

reddog's avatar - patch
          Greensboro, North Carolina
          United States
          Member #1616
          June 5, 2003
          1285 Posts
          Posted: July 24, 2008, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

You want "wiggle room ? I'll give you wiggle room !!  WIGGLE WIGGLE ROOM, WIGGLE WIGGLE ROOM !! "  Banana

United States
            Member #45970
            September 1, 2006
            4763 Posts
            Posted: July 25, 2008, 2:33 am - IP Logged

You want "wiggle room ? I'll give you wiggle room !!  WIGGLE WIGGLE ROOM, WIGGLE WIGGLE ROOM !! "  Banana

LOL, you're killing me!!!

Boston
              United States
              Member #2136
              August 21, 2003
              2 Posts
              Posted: July 26, 2008, 2:58 am - IP Logged

Hey Tex, Ive constructed an Excel sheet to do this if your interested!

Zoozie's avatar - back
                South Fort Myers
                United States
                Member #26835
                November 23, 2005
                454 Posts
                Posted: July 26, 2008, 11:02 am - IP Logged

Hey Tex, Ive constructed an Excel sheet to do this if your interested!

Hi,

Could you post the link to the excel sheet if you have one, so everyone can download if they are interested.

If not, could I also get a copy via email please?

Thanks!

Zoozie

Zoozie  Dance

"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve"
                Napoleon Hill

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                  Idaho
                  United States
                  Member #56506
                  November 21, 2007
                  6537 Posts
                  Posted: August 19, 2008, 12:53 am - IP Logged

Congrats! It's always nice to see a win every now and then. Cheers

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Denmark
                    Member #38171
                    April 24, 2006
                    7 Posts
                    Posted: August 20, 2008, 9:40 am - IP Logged

Wauw Tex, if that math of yours is correct you might just have found the holy grail of Pick 3... Unfortunately it's not!

Say you perm the 5 selected numbers, you then get 10 lines @ $1 each.

If you play these lines for 100 games, you'll spent $1000, right?

The first number drawn will have a 50% (5 out of 10) chance of being correct.

The second number drawn will have a 40% (4 out of 10) chance of being correct and not a repeat.

The second number drawn will have a 30% (3 out of 10) chance of being correct and not a repeat.

Let's do the math then...

For any draw you'll have a 6% (0,5 * 0,4 * 03) chance of having a winning line.

In 100 games you'll win 6 for a total winning of $900 (if you play online).

But you have spent $1000 which equates to a loss of $100!

So in the end it all comes down to the numbers you select, unfortunately...

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis

- Sodalis de Apollon

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7298 Posts
                      Posted: August 20, 2008, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

Wauw Tex, if that math of yours is correct you might just have found the holy grail of Pick 3... Unfortunately it's not!

Say you perm the 5 selected numbers, you then get 10 lines @ $1 each.

If you play these lines for 100 games, you'll spent $1000, right?

The first number drawn will have a 50% (5 out of 10) chance of being correct.

The second number drawn will have a 40% (4 out of 10) chance of being correct and not a repeat.

The second number drawn will have a 30% (3 out of 10) chance of being correct and not a repeat.

Let's do the math then...

For any draw you'll have a 6% (0,5 * 0,4 * 03) chance of having a winning line.

In 100 games you'll win 6 for a total winning of $900 (if you play online).

But you have spent $1000 which equates to a loss of $100!

So in the end it all comes down to the numbers you select, unfortunately...

What  Tex has is a simple 5 digit box and chart showing how to create the 10 combinations. That bet would be easier to make if the lottery machines used the same type of programs they use for horse and dog racing trifectas. Some state lotteries have self-bet machines where you can enter money or a voucher, but I haven't seen any that offer the option of boxing four or more digits without having to enter each combination individually.

The track tickets just show the 5 digits being boxed and maybe the lotteries want the players to see all combinations. Or maybe the lotteries figure since they printed up all those play slips, the players must use them.

"Let's do the math then... For any draw you'll have a 6% (0,5 * 0,4 * 03) chance of having a winning line."

Since he stipulated it only applies to when 3 non-matching digits are drawn and odds are usually calculated as losing chances to winning chances, it should be 5:5, 6:4, and 7:3. There are 120 non-matching combinations, Tex is using 10 of them and has a 8.3% random chance of matching all three digits.

"So in the end it all comes down to the numbers you select, unfortunately..."

That's obvious whether you're boxing 3, 5 or 8 digits.

I believe the idea here is to match 3 out of 5 digits at least once every eight drawings and it would be a better play by getting $15 to $1 playing off line. It's not the holy grail but has potential to show a profit.

Denmark
                        Member #38171
                        April 24, 2006
                        7 Posts
                        Posted: August 22, 2008, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

I disagree, the 8.3% chance will only apply when you're certain that there'll be no repeats.
                        But how will you know that? By tracking doubles? Surely you could find better ways of profitting from that!

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis

- Sodalis de Apollon

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
                          Dallas, Texas
                          United States
                          Member #4549
                          May 2, 2004
                          1672 Posts
                          Posted: August 23, 2008, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

Good stuff Tex! You never spend more in one week than you can win back in one draw.

United States
                            Member #45970
                            September 1, 2006
                            4763 Posts
                            Posted: August 24, 2008, 3:17 am - IP Logged

For anyone who wants to question the math, statistics, or whatever with this method, let me give you some cold hard facts. In the last 9 days, using this method, I have spent a total of $90 (I only play box), and have won a total of $320 for a profit of $230. However, if I would have played box/straight, I would have spent a total of $180 and won $1320 for a total profit of $1140. How's that for simple math??

New Mexico
                              United States
                              Member #58526
                              February 18, 2008
                              683 Posts
                              Posted: August 24, 2008, 3:53 am - IP Logged

For anyone who wants to question the math, statistics, or whatever with this method, let me give you some cold hard facts. In the last 9 days, using this method, I have spent a total of $90 (I only play box), and have won a total of $320 for a profit of $230. However, if I would have played box/straight, I would have spent a total of $180 and won $1320 for a total profit of $1140. How's that for simple math??

That's some math that looks fun to do!  LOL