Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 2:47 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Please rate the site's download speed

Topic closed. 53 replies. Last post 8 years ago by AlecWest.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

How fast are Lottery Post's pages loading to completion in your web browser?

Faster than two weeks ago [ 63 ]  [60.00%]
Slower than two weeks ago [ 9 ]  [8.57%]
The same speed as two weeks ago [ 33 ]  [31.43%]
Total Valid Votes [ 105 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23267 Posts
Posted: August 5, 2008, 10:33 pm - IP Logged

After finishing a series of big programming upgrades over the past two weeks, I am interested to find out what your personal experience is on your computer.

I am looking for you to judge your perception of how long it takes from the time you click a link to the time the page finishes loading.  You can tell when a page load is complete when both the blue menu bar and the banner ad at the top have finished loading and you can navigate through the options in the blue menu bar.

Since I began to install the improvements about two weeks ago, I'd like you to use that as a benchmark to compare.

I just finished yet another update this evening, and it should be the last for a little while, so it's a good time to take a step back and see how it went.

In addition to choosing one of the three poll choices, please feel free to post a comment about your experience with the performance of the site now that the changes have been implemented.

(For now, I would like to keep this thread focused on performance, not features, but there will be some other opportunities to post comments on features in the near future.)

Thank you for your feedback!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8362 Posts
    Posted: August 5, 2008, 11:47 pm - IP Logged
    Isn't the speed at which a page loads dependant on a posters board settings. If they are all set to the maximum amounts wouldn't those pages take longer to load then say a poster who is using the minimum amounts.

Does the amount of artwork or graphics in the various posts and the length of individual posts etc. affect download speed.

Items Per Page

15161718192025304050 Topics per page
    This setting controls the number of topics displayed on each page when viewing a forum.

5678910152025304050 Posts per page
    This setting controls the number of messages displayed on each page when viewing a message thread (topic).

10111213141520253040 Private messages per page
    This setting controls the number of private messages displayed on each page in your Private Inbox.

20253035404550 Members per page
    This setting controls the number of members displayed on each page when viewing the Lottery Post member list.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
      Harbinger
      D.C./MD.
      United States
      Member #44103
      July 30, 2006
      5583 Posts
      Posted: August 5, 2008, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

Pretty darn fast on the the XP machine.  Not so different on the 2000 machines, I know that IE6 isn't supported no mas, there are a couple of things that don't work anymore,  the page pull  down, the editor needs a refresh to see the box, can't edit once posted.  But no biggie this XP machine works very well, the active topics page speed meter said .0694 sec. about the blink of an eye to load, I have an effective 2M to 3M download speed when traffic is light.

Thank you!

BananaThe emoticons loaded in under 3secs. the first time, under 2secs the second time all at

once.

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3474 Posts
        Posted: August 5, 2008, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

"Isn't the speed at which a page loads dependant on a posters board settings."

Sure it is, but the question is asking about performance relative to 2 weeks ago. If you haven't changed your settings and your page loads are happening slower or faster that they were, something else is causing it. I'm assuming Todd is trying to determine if his changes to the site have resulted in the speeds people are experiencing.

I can't say I've noticed a difference, but for the most part things have always seemed to load quickly. The only exception is that the editor takes a second or so to load when I'm replying. That's with Firefox 2.0.0.14 on XP, FWIW.

Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23267 Posts
          Posted: August 6, 2008, 12:06 am - IP Logged
          Isn't the speed at which a page loads dependant on a posters board settings. If they are all set to the maximum amounts wouldn't those pages take longer to load then say a poster who is using the minimum amounts.

Does the amount of artwork or graphics in the various posts and the length of individual posts etc. affect download speed.

Items Per Page

15161718192025304050 Topics per page
          This setting controls the number of topics displayed on each page when viewing a forum.

5678910152025304050 Posts per page
          This setting controls the number of messages displayed on each page when viewing a message thread (topic).

10111213141520253040 Private messages per page
          This setting controls the number of private messages displayed on each page in your Private Inbox.

20253035404550 Members per page
          This setting controls the number of members displayed on each page when viewing the Lottery Post member list.

Four4me: I'm not sure what those huge numbers are, but I'm guessing you're trying to paste HTML into your message.

Yes, you can slightly increase the size of your page downloads by increasing the number of posts on a page, but that is only a miniscule part of the download.  It might be the difference of a couple hundreths of a second -- maybe a tenth at the most.

The biggest part of the download, the part that affects any delays, is all the stuff that gets downloaded after the HTML portion of the page loads.

Also, I'm really asking you to compare your OWN times against each other.  Don't compare you vs. me, because that doesn't tell you if the performance has gotten better.  Compare your OWN experience two weeks ago with what you are seeing today.

Are the very first parts of the page you see appearing quicker?  (Earlier in the load cycle.)  Do you notice the page finish loading quicker than it did?

BTW, anyone answering "the same" or "slower", can you post your browser brand/version number and which operating system you're using?  Are you using dial-up or broadband?

"Slower" is a bit of a mystery, because there is half as much data being downloaded, but I don't doubt what you're saying.  I'd be interested to understand what environment you have so I can see if there is more I can do.

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8362 Posts
            Posted: August 6, 2008, 12:08 am - IP Logged

"Isn't the speed at which a page loads dependant on a posters board settings."

Sure it is, but the question is asking about performance relative to 2 weeks ago. If you haven't changed your settings and your page loads are happening slower or faster that they were, something else is causing it. I'm assuming Todd is trying to determine if his changes to the site have resulted in the speeds people are experiencing.

I can't say I've noticed a difference, but for the most part things have always seemed to load quickly. The only exception is that the editor takes a second or so to load when I'm replying. That's with Firefox 2.0.0.14 on XP, FWIW.

Well I'm digging for a deeper answer preferably from Todd. He is always upping the performance of this site. And some days 2 weeks ago or so pages loaded at different speeds and rates than on other days. Like someone said if there was heavy traffic i don't know if hes referring to this sites traffic or INTERNET traffic.

At night after 2 O'Clock i never have difficulty navigating this site unless Todd is working on pages. During the day and early evenings some pages load slower than they do at night. 

Since the last big change pages seem to load faster.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
              four4me's avatar - gate1
              MD
              United States
              Member #1701
              June 18, 2003
              8362 Posts
              Posted: August 6, 2008, 12:13 am - IP Logged

Todd what you are seeing in my post was me trying to post my board settings where the long number are there is just supposed to be a box with my boards settings for each way a page is displayed.

this page loaded in 0.0900 sec.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                Idaho
                United States
                Member #56506
                November 21, 2007
                6537 Posts
                Posted: August 6, 2008, 12:15 am - IP Logged

I think it runs a bit faster, but most sites load quickly for me, unless they are picture heavy or have a lot of animation on them.

If it helps, I use Mozilla Firefox, have Windows XP, use a broadband that varies from to 100.0-150.0 Mbps.

This page was generated in 0.0720 seconds for me.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23267 Posts
                  Posted: August 6, 2008, 12:18 am - IP Logged

Todd what you are seeing in my post was me trying to post my board settings where the long number are there is just supposed to be a box with my boards settings for each way a page is displayed.

this page loaded in 0.0900 sec.

The number is how much time it took for the server to GENERATE the page, NOT the download time.

That number is used to determine if a long page load time is due to the server or your PC/internet connection.

If it is a very small number (like you posted -- nine hundreths of a second) then you know that none of the time it took to load was due to anything on the server.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                    MD
                    United States
                    Member #1701
                    June 18, 2003
                    8362 Posts
                    Posted: August 6, 2008, 12:36 am - IP Logged

The number is how much time it took for the server to GENERATE the page, NOT the download time.

That number is used to determine if a long page load time is due to the server or your PC/internet connection.

If it is a very small number (like you posted -- nine hundreths of a second) then you know that none of the time it took to load was due to anything on the server.

forget i said download i meant generate like it says at the bottom of this page or the lower right hand corner

This page was generated in 0.2350 seconds

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
                      Member #26882
                      November 23, 2005
                      1404 Posts
                      Posted: August 6, 2008, 12:43 am - IP Logged

Here is how long it took for me:

This page was generated in 0.0739 seconds

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium with IE7

Pages are loading at double speed for me, than before

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                        Member #14
                        November 9, 2001
                        31355 Posts
                        Posted: August 6, 2008, 1:01 am - IP Logged

0.98833 seconds

love to nibble those micey feet.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: August 6, 2008, 1:34 am - IP Logged

Not really sure.  Sorry.

Edit:  A little faster using Firefox

Chief Bottle Washer
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #1
                            May 31, 2000
                            23267 Posts
                            Posted: August 6, 2008, 1:52 am - IP Logged

Just to be clear:  please ignore the generated time you see, for the purposes of this topic. (The generated number being something like "0.09725".)

I'm reasonably sure the server is rocking now, and generating pages tremendously quickly.

The main thing that I have implemented enhancements on is the download time, which is completely different than the "generated time" shown on the bottom of the screen.

In other words, how does the page download time FEEL.  Does it FEEL like it is coming up quicker, does it FEEL like it is finishing loading quicker.

If you don't know, that's fine.  If you get a sense that things are happening quicker, they probably are.  Does it feel snappier?  Then that would indicate "faster", so check the "faster" box.

I really appreciate everyone's input on this.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                              MD
                              United States
                              Member #1701
                              June 18, 2003
                              8362 Posts
                              Posted: August 6, 2008, 2:10 am - IP Logged

In other words, how does the page download time FEEL. 

Faster

Does it FEEL like it is coming up quicker,

Yes

does it FEEL like it is finishing loading quicker.

Yes