Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 5:17 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Please rate the site's download speed

Topic closed. 53 replies. Last post 8 years ago by AlecWest.

Page 4 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

How fast are Lottery Post's pages loading to completion in your web browser?

Faster than two weeks ago [ 63 ]  [60.00%]
Slower than two weeks ago [ 9 ]  [8.57%]
The same speed as two weeks ago [ 33 ]  [31.43%]
Total Valid Votes [ 105 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
djklaugh's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
Portland,Oregon
United States
Member #14387
April 25, 2005
229 Posts
Posted: August 8, 2008, 12:48 am - IP Logged

It depends on which computer I'm using ... my desktop with Vista and Foxfire works great - really zippy. Using IE7 on the desktop is OK but seems abit slower. 

Laptop with Vista and Foxfire or IE7 is about the same as the desktop

But my work computer which has some ancient version of Windows XP Professional and IE6 is very slow and when I try to participate in a poll I get this weird message saying something like "your vote will be counted once you have registered" but I'm already logged in.  Not a big deal cuz I rarely have time to check in here from work :)

Djklaugh

Some things have to be believed to be seen.

"I have not failed. I have just found ten thousand things that don't work".  Thomas Edison

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
    Connecticut
    United States
    Member #61623
    May 29, 2008
    20581 Posts
    Posted: August 8, 2008, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

Yes, it does sound like something is amiss.

During the login process, Lottery Post does a browser test to see if anything is wrong with your connection.  It normally places a warning on the login page if it finds something.

Does it display such a warning on the login page? If so, I would recommend trying to fix whatever it found.

If not, can you go to the Browser Compatibility Test in the Resources menu and click the "Send to Administrator" button to send me a copy?

On the Firefox issue, I personally would not recommend tinkering with the Firefox 3 settings.  I have found them to be more than adequate for screaming performance.  All the settings I have ever posted about were only for Firefox 2.

Last, it is also possible that you have some kind of Internet security/Firewall software installed that is slowing down your connection.  It is a very broad topic, so it is difficult for me to suggest exactly what it could be blocking, but it is always a good idea to completely disable any such software and try again.  If the problem disappears, you have narrowed down the problem.

I can't tell you how many times a firewall has caused similar problems for me, and it is almost the first place I look for those kinds of problems now.

The main issue is that most security packages set their security settings too high.  Especially under Vista, there is no need for very high security settings, because the operating system itself is much more secure.

The most important thing to have is anti-virus. It should have a real-time scanner and a weekly or monthly full scan.

The next thing I would recommend (in terms of importance) is e-mail scanning software, usually called anti-spam. You should use an e-mail software package, NOT web-based mail.  That's because you lose all the benefit of your anti-spam software when you use something based in the web browser.

If you have Microsoft Outlook installed (usually comes with MS Office), then use that.  If not, then I'd strongly recommend downloading the new Live Mail from Microsoft.  It's free, and it integrates with most free mail boxes, like Hotmail, etc.  So you get the benefits of a software package (that utilizes anti-spam) with free e-mail.

For a spyware program, Microsoft's Windows Defender is just great.  It is free, and is highly rated.

Last, a firewall.  I don't recommend getting all nutty with a firewall, because it's really not necessary.  Most of the time, the very restrictive firewalls just cause problems.  I would recommend using the built-in Windows firewall, because it is plenty good to block 99% of possible intrusions.

I know I got a little off-track, but it did seem relevant to your problem. Good luck!

Hey todd,

Thanks for your input.As windows xp has it's own firewall,I also have mcAfee security suite(which has it's own firewall).Is it possible to have 2 firewalls running simultaneously?I took your advice and did the browser compatibility test.It passed in all 12.What would be a reasonable setting for security?

What boggles me all the more is I've seen time and again to get your overall browsing up to speed is creating a new user account which I did with a fresh install of the newest firefox and it's no different than using my other account

Also for spyware I use adaware

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23349 Posts
      Posted: August 8, 2008, 1:13 pm - IP Logged

Hey todd,

Thanks for your input.As windows xp has it's own firewall,I also have mcAfee security suite(which has it's own firewall).Is it possible to have 2 firewalls running simultaneously?I took your advice and did the browser compatibility test.It passed in all 12.What would be a reasonable setting for security?

What boggles me all the more is I've seen time and again to get your overall browsing up to speed is creating a new user account which I did with a fresh install of the newest firefox and it's no different than using my other account

Also for spyware I use adaware

The two firewalls may be what is causing the problem.  NEVER have two firewalls runing at the same time.  Try killing the McAfee firewall and see what happens.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23349 Posts
        Posted: August 10, 2008, 11:15 am - IP Logged

Thanks to everyone who rated the site's performance changes by registering a vote.  (100 total votes so far.)

Because there is now a good sampling of votes, I am setting this thread back to "normal" so it doesn't appear at the top of every forum. 

Anyone who has not yet registered a vote, please feel free!

sysp34's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
          Heroic City
          Indonesia
          Member #31689
          February 2, 2006
          1153 Posts
          Posted: August 11, 2008, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

Chief

did you applied new hardware like jaguar5000? or just an agile way to speed up LP site?

does the hardware actually boost LP performance if any LP member willing to giftaway such device?

gl

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
            Member #4877
            May 30, 2004
            5143 Posts
            Posted: September 10, 2008, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

Nice, descriptive feedback, thanks.

THANK's Todd 4-D LP:

Psyko up-grated 2 Foxfire-3 (PSYKOMO told him not 2...........BUT we all

know Psyko is the BUTT of my family<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

ANYWAY,.....I would get these FLASHES on screen to up-date to FX-3 >>

It said.........later..........never..........cancel................the never got me ??

ANYWAY,....Psyko did-IT when I was NOT L@@KING>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

IT messed up some of my book-marks (ALL)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

EVERYTIME I LOGG-ON an old site HAVE 2 re-establish my ID??????????

THING's DONOT POP-UP as FAST as they use2^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

MY GUILL friend's are complaining about my HOT-MAIL @ MSN>>>>>>>

WHAT is going-on in this BIG wide WORLD of CYBER-BABBLE?????

LOL

PSYKOMO

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
              Member #4877
              May 30, 2004
              5143 Posts
              Posted: September 10, 2008, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

Bat>>>>>>>>>>>>>"warning" Hit With Stick

DONOT download FOXFIRE-3 upgrade unless YOU........RESEARCH!!

THANK'ssssssssss 2 ALL on LP including D MASTER-DISHWASHER

who kick's D internet's BUTTT's

& SWEEP's>>>^^^^it "CLEAN"

LOL

PSYKOMO

Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23349 Posts
                Posted: September 10, 2008, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

Bat>>>>>>>>>>>>>"warning" Hit With Stick

DONOT download FOXFIRE-3 upgrade unless YOU........RESEARCH!!

THANK'ssssssssss 2 ALL on LP including D MASTER-DISHWASHER

who kick's D internet's BUTTT's

& SWEEP's>>>^^^^it "CLEAN"

LOL

PSYKOMO

What happened to you with Firefox?  I've had good experience with it myself, but I'd be interested in hearing more if you had a negative experience.

AlecWest's avatar - alec
                  Vader, Washington
                  United States
                  Member #29697
                  January 5, 2006
                  108 Posts
                  Posted: September 11, 2008, 9:57 am - IP Logged

FWIW, I've never had a problem with site speed.  But I've had problems with browser compatability.  This might not be totally a browser problem ... but also an OS problem.  My desktop uses Windows 2000 Pro SP4 - with Mozilla 1.7, MSIE 6.0, and Firefox 3 installed.  And on my desktop computer, only Firefox 3 works 100% of the time.  The other browsers sometimes do weird things.  My laptop uses Windows XP Pro SP3.  And on my laptop, I use only Mozilla 1.7 and MSIE 7.? - and only MSIE works 100% of the time.

As long as one of them works on each computer, no complaints.

Regards -- J. Alec West