Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:20 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Please rate the site's download speed

Topic closed. 53 replies. Last post 8 years ago by AlecWest.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

How fast are Lottery Post's pages loading to completion in your web browser?

Faster than two weeks ago [ 63 ]  [60.00%]
Slower than two weeks ago [ 9 ]  [8.57%]
The same speed as two weeks ago [ 33 ]  [31.43%]
Total Valid Votes [ 105 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
bigato1010's avatar - army

United States
Member #33588
February 22, 2006
2068 Posts
Posted: August 6, 2008, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

The same nothing changed.  Informative site. Good discovery. 

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: August 6, 2008, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

The same nothing changed.  Informative site. Good discovery. 

You seem confused.

You rate this post a 1 star rating, then say how informative this site is.

I can't tell if you really appreciate all of Todd's efforts.

What?

soothsayer's avatar - Soothsayer jpg?
      SC
      United States
      Member #56656
      November 28, 2007
      511 Posts
      Posted: August 6, 2008, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

Todd, I do not see any difference when loading a new page, however cached pages do seem to load faster.

Let the good times roll...

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
        Connecticut
        United States
        Member #61623
        May 29, 2008
        20581 Posts
        Posted: August 6, 2008, 8:40 pm - IP Logged

I have this site as my homepage.It takes longer than it should(by verbal comparison to others)and logging in takes an eon.Don't know why.My dell is a year old with no bs and spyware on it.I can't tell if it's this site or firefox 3.I've done all the online tricks rumored to speed up firefox but it stays the same.I have cable internet.This thing should scream anywhere it goes.Any clues asto why the log in screen might be a wait and a half?..other than that manuevering around here is decent speedwise

sfilippo's avatar - skull
          Oklahoma
          United States
          Member #33770
          February 24, 2006
          3146 Posts
          Posted: August 6, 2008, 9:38 pm - IP Logged

I'm using an EMachine with XP Service Pack 2 and ATT Yahoo's Browser on DSL Broadband.

It's quicker than two weeks ago. Noticably quicker, in fact.

I tested the Member's pages which as I recall loaded fairly slowly from page to page.

Now, they load at around 2 seconds.

Every other page I checked was about 1 second or less.

From my standpoint, everything is much quicker. Maybe 60% faster?

Smiley Steve

bigato1010's avatar - army

United States
            Member #33588
            February 22, 2006
            2068 Posts
            Posted: August 7, 2008, 10:23 am - IP Logged

You seem confused.

You rate this post a 1 star rating, then say how informative this site is.

I can't tell if you really appreciate all of Todd's efforts.

What?

Hey pac not confused at all i you i hit the star by mistake and i could not correct it. I am sure some one has made such a mistake before . So don't be quick to justify an error. I used the word informative to let the reader know what i was talking about. I like this site is a reason am still here !  My  Rating: 3 star normal.   

United States
              Member #9579
              December 12, 2004
              2121 Posts
              Posted: August 7, 2008, 10:34 am - IP Logged

just got back from atlantic city for a week,saw it was faster.i tried firefox once,but my hp printer acted up with it,so went back to google.tried ie8 beta,that acted up.pages are fast loading now.

chippie's avatar - Lottery-064.jpg

Bahamas
                Member #31284
                January 27, 2006
                8962 Posts
                Posted: August 7, 2008, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

I think the pages are loading up a little faster and the error message is now gone.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23260 Posts
                  Posted: August 7, 2008, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

Todd, I do not see any difference when loading a new page, however cached pages do seem to load faster.

Ah, but that is the key!

There is an absolute TON more caching going on, which is what helps speed things up enormously.  I am asking you to rate your whole experience, so that would be a "faster".

In the future, I really should do before/after screen cams, so I can demonstrate the differences.  If you're not looking for something like this, it can be difficult to judge.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                  What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                  Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Chief Bottle Washer
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #1
                    May 31, 2000
                    23260 Posts
                    Posted: August 7, 2008, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

just got back from atlantic city for a week,saw it was faster.i tried firefox once,but my hp printer acted up with it,so went back to google.tried ie8 beta,that acted up.pages are fast loading now.

One of the things I added to this latest update was an IE8 compatibility tag, so LP should render correctly in IE8.

Personally, I tried the IE8 beta 1, and it was very buggy and slow so I immediately uninstalled it.  When beta 2 is released any day now, I'll give it a try.

A note on web browsers:

If you really want to experience Lottery Post going as fast as it can possibly go, I recommend that you install Firefox 3.  It will speed up not only Lottery Post, but just about every other web site you visit.

Microsoft IE8 will eventually have these kinds of performance numbers, but until that product is finished (not until the end of the year), Firefox 3 is your ticket to quick performance.

If you haven't installed it because you're nervous about installing a new browser, or if you think it won't work, or if you think it will be difficult to install and/or use, then just do it anyway.

Even if it turns out to be a total disaster (which it won't), you can simply use "uninstall" to quickly get rid of it.

And it's completely free -- what is there not to like?

Here's the direct download page: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Want to try another very fast web browser?  Then give Safari 3.1.2 a try!

Not only is it tremendously fast, but it is also one of the most capable web browsers on the market.  It is also the most different visually, so if you're in the mood for something different, it could be your best bet.

Just like Firefox, it's easy to install -- and to get rid of.  And it's free.

Here's the direct download page: http://www.apple.com/safari/download/  (DON'T bother filling in your e-mail address -- it is NOT REQUIRED in order to download.)

Of course, I should also mention that if you're using IE5 or IE6, you need to upgrade -- badly.  I would recommend going to IE7, and I would also recommend installing a secondary browser like Firefox 3.  Without question, you need to drop-kick IE5 and/or IE6!!

Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23260 Posts
                      Posted: August 7, 2008, 5:00 pm - IP Logged

I'm using an EMachine with XP Service Pack 2 and ATT Yahoo's Browser on DSL Broadband.

It's quicker than two weeks ago. Noticably quicker, in fact.

I tested the Member's pages which as I recall loaded fairly slowly from page to page.

Now, they load at around 2 seconds.

Every other page I checked was about 1 second or less.

From my standpoint, everything is much quicker. Maybe 60% faster?

Nice, descriptive feedback, thanks.

Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23260 Posts
                        Posted: August 7, 2008, 5:16 pm - IP Logged

I have this site as my homepage.It takes longer than it should(by verbal comparison to others)and logging in takes an eon.Don't know why.My dell is a year old with no bs and spyware on it.I can't tell if it's this site or firefox 3.I've done all the online tricks rumored to speed up firefox but it stays the same.I have cable internet.This thing should scream anywhere it goes.Any clues asto why the log in screen might be a wait and a half?..other than that manuevering around here is decent speedwise

Yes, it does sound like something is amiss.

During the login process, Lottery Post does a browser test to see if anything is wrong with your connection.  It normally places a warning on the login page if it finds something.

Does it display such a warning on the login page? If so, I would recommend trying to fix whatever it found.

If not, can you go to the Browser Compatibility Test in the Resources menu and click the "Send to Administrator" button to send me a copy?

On the Firefox issue, I personally would not recommend tinkering with the Firefox 3 settings.  I have found them to be more than adequate for screaming performance.  All the settings I have ever posted about were only for Firefox 2.

Last, it is also possible that you have some kind of Internet security/Firewall software installed that is slowing down your connection.  It is a very broad topic, so it is difficult for me to suggest exactly what it could be blocking, but it is always a good idea to completely disable any such software and try again.  If the problem disappears, you have narrowed down the problem.

I can't tell you how many times a firewall has caused similar problems for me, and it is almost the first place I look for those kinds of problems now.

The main issue is that most security packages set their security settings too high.  Especially under Vista, there is no need for very high security settings, because the operating system itself is much more secure.

The most important thing to have is anti-virus. It should have a real-time scanner and a weekly or monthly full scan.

The next thing I would recommend (in terms of importance) is e-mail scanning software, usually called anti-spam. You should use an e-mail software package, NOT web-based mail.  That's because you lose all the benefit of your anti-spam software when you use something based in the web browser.

If you have Microsoft Outlook installed (usually comes with MS Office), then use that.  If not, then I'd strongly recommend downloading the new Live Mail from Microsoft.  It's free, and it integrates with most free mail boxes, like Hotmail, etc.  So you get the benefits of a software package (that utilizes anti-spam) with free e-mail.

For a spyware program, Microsoft's Windows Defender is just great.  It is free, and is highly rated.

Last, a firewall.  I don't recommend getting all nutty with a firewall, because it's really not necessary.  Most of the time, the very restrictive firewalls just cause problems.  I would recommend using the built-in Windows firewall, because it is plenty good to block 99% of possible intrusions.

I know I got a little off-track, but it did seem relevant to your problem. Good luck!

Needachange23's avatar - yocco

Bahamas
                          Member #62321
                          June 24, 2008
                          1104 Posts
                          Posted: August 7, 2008, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

I have no compalints!!

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
                            Republic of Texas
                            United States
                            Member #57557
                            January 9, 2008
                            1095 Posts
                            Posted: August 7, 2008, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

Can't really tell the difference. I didn't pay too much attention to what loaded how fast. I always blame my comcast connection for speed issues....except when my javascript stops working on internet explorer (Vista) and I have to reboot. Skeptical

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

WIN  D's avatar - q05Q0
                              Stone Mountain*Georgia
                              United States
                              Member #828
                              November 2, 2002
                              10491 Posts
                              Posted: August 7, 2008, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

Going faster ..... and by the way....some where along the way the Editor cleared up.  Smooth.... and refreshing 

Ahhhh relief.  

The only real failure .....is the failure to try.                               

Luck is a very rare thing....... Odds not so much. 

Odds never change .....but probability does. 

Win d