Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 3:58 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Can I find all the possible Mega Millions combinations somewhere online?F

Topic closed. 43 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Stew12.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19830 Posts
Posted: December 15, 2008, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

I have it built into my software.  The code itself isn't complex, just a nested 'for' loop that prints out all possible combinations for any max number input.

You start out with a simple loop with 4 or 5 other loops nested within it, add a few features to skip or print combinations by sums, gap between numbers or numbers in certain positions and pretty soon you got the start of a complex program. 

You'll probably decide it's easier not to print a combination you don't want rather than filter it out later because if you have 300,000+ combinations you'll spend a minute searching the file on disk for one combination to delete and after you've deleted a few, you'll want to rewrite the file to eliminated time wasted looking through records you already decided to delete making the program even more complex.

At least that was my experience when I wrote a similar program using GWBasic a few years back.  I couldn't find it on my computer so it must have been one of those programs I didn't transfer when I updated my computer.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

NY
    United States
    Member #23835
    October 16, 2005
    3474 Posts
    Posted: December 15, 2008, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

First off, hi everyone, I'm steve and i'm new here. Hows it going? :)

I was wondering if there was any place online or perhaps somebody here has a text file or something of all possible mega million number combinations, I'll take the combos for 5 numbers or for 5 numbers and the mega ball, either or. I searched high and low, couldn't find anything. I even tried searching for online combination calculators, the only i found available to me was a trial version of "Combinations!" and it won't even let me do all the numbers, only up to 10. So if someone maybe knows of a free one i can try online that'd be cool too.

Could anyone help? Appreciate it. Thanks :)

"a text file or something of all possible mega million number combinations"

Looking for a little light reading while you're bed-ridden for a couple of months or something? If you settled for a list showing only 4 numbers to match with each first number you'd have a list of 341,055 combinations. That's a lot shorter, but I'm guessing it would still be a dull read.

Bigtobey's avatar - underground

United States
      Member #18428
      July 11, 2005
      18 Posts
      Posted: December 16, 2008, 5:14 am - IP Logged

I have a similar file that I use. It contains all possible 5+0 combonations. The only problem is that its a 56MB file, that contains 3,819,816 lines. If you're interested i'm sure I could find some way to share it with you.

johnph77's avatar - avatar
        CA
        United States
        Member #2987
        December 10, 2003
        832 Posts
        Posted: December 16, 2008, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

I have a similar file that I use. It contains all possible 5+0 combonations. The only problem is that its a 56MB file, that contains 3,819,816 lines. If you're interested i'm sure I could find some way to share it with you.

Sounds about right for a text file without line numbers. With line numbers, it would be half again that size - about 85Mb. Easiest way I've found to transfer files of this size is to load the text file onto a CD-R/W and mail it.

With the MegaBall included there's no way currently to include all the combinations in just one file - it'd be just too big - in the area of 3.5Gb+.

gl

j

Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there..... 

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
          Tx
          United States
          Member #4570
          May 4, 2004
          5180 Posts
          Posted: December 16, 2008, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

MegaMillions:

1. Pick 5 Numbers
          Select 5 numbers from 1 to 56 in the upper white play area of the playboard, or mark the "QP" box and the terminal will select your 5 numbers.

2. Pick Your Mega Ball
          Select 1 Mega Ball number from 1 to 46 in the lower yellow play area of the playboard, or mark the "QP" box and the terminal will select your 1 Mega Ball number.

--------

01 02 03 04 05 + 01 Lowest possible MM combination:

= 15 Sum for the 5 main numbers and 16 Sum for all the numbers.

So the lowest possible MM sum might be 16.

---------

52 53 54 55 56 + 46 Highest possible MM combination:

= 270 Sum For the 5 main numbers and 316 Sum or all the numbers.

So the highest sum might be 316.

----------

So if I didn't make any mistakes then maybe there are:

255 Possible MM Sums for the 5 main numbers and:

300 Possible Sums for all the numbers.

----------

Now, just maybe, but not for sure, something of use might be, to know, How many combinations are there per each Sum from the lowest to the highest, both, just for the main numbers and also for the whole number.

--------

There are other patterns unknowns, such as Even-Odd, High-Low, Widths, Etc.

-------

I am not familiar with Jackpot programs are there any that give those kinds of stats, such as How many combinations per each of the filter patterns?

Could LottoArchitect and or Expert Lotto give that kind of info?

Those who are familiar with pick 3 filters might know what I am talking about.

-----------------

Which program gives the best stats for filter patterns for jackpot games?

By the way: for the 5 Main numbers, not taking into account the Mega ball, How many combinations would 20 numbers give for a 20 number FULL wheel?

Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
            CT
            United States
            Member #61398
            May 21, 2008
            781 Posts
            Posted: December 16, 2008, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

By the way: for the 5 Main numbers, not taking into account the Mega ball, How many combinations would 20 numbers give for a 20 number FULL wheel?

15,504 combinations.

Tx
              United States
              Member #4570
              May 4, 2004
              5180 Posts
              Posted: December 16, 2008, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

15,504 combinations.

Thanks a lot!

but if a person was to cut down the numbers in half from 56 it would be 28, it is more likely that for a MM and still get the winnin gnumbers maybe than just 20.

So now please How many combos for a 28 number wheel. filtering a full wheel with the bad programs that they have would be too hard, but maybe a 20 or 28 numbers wheel, it might be more likely, as for filters the trick is to have the right stats and the right filters for them, developers in general are so ignorant about filter patterns and how they should be used for prediction-filtering, so How many combos for a 28 number wheel, please?

CT
                United States
                Member #61398
                May 21, 2008
                781 Posts
                Posted: December 16, 2008, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

So now please How many combos for a 28 number wheel

98,280 combinations.

The algorithm for combinations in a full wheel is 28!/(5!*(28-5)!), where ! stands for Factorial.

For a 20 number wheel with 5 picks it would be 20!/(5!*(20-5)!), etc.

Tx
                  United States
                  Member #4570
                  May 4, 2004
                  5180 Posts
                  Posted: December 16, 2008, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

Thanks a lot!

Now 100, 000 combos it is sure much smaller than 4, 000, 000 combos!

You maybe can hope to filter down 100 000 combos with the right stats and the right filter program, but that might be much harder to do to 4 Million combos.

One must know the stats such as How many combos per each pattern of each filter? and must also have the stats of the history for those patterns for many filters, then you might have a chance.

For example the Sums filter is not to be used as you see people using it now, for the right use you also need the right filters in the program, you should be able to filter out individual sums and groups of sums (In more than one "filter level") and other things that I don't much like to talk about.

CT
                    United States
                    Member #61398
                    May 21, 2008
                    781 Posts
                    Posted: December 16, 2008, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

you should be able to filter individual sums and groups of sums and other things that I don't much like to talk about.

Got some trade secrets eh? hehe. 

I agree.  I typically filter groups of sums, usually for MM and PB I user fairly vague filters (along with other filters, naturally) somewhere in the range of allowing anything from 100 to 200.

Tx
                      United States
                      Member #4570
                      May 4, 2004
                      5180 Posts
                      Posted: December 16, 2008, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

you should be able to filter individual sums and groups of sums and other things that I don't much like to talk about.

Got some trade secrets eh? hehe. 

I agree.  I typically filter groups of sums, usually for MM and PB I user fairly vague filters (along with other filters, naturally) somewhere in the range of allowing anything from 100 to 200.

If a game has somethimg like from 15 to 250 or so sums, one might not want to "Band-Pass" filter a range such as allowing the 100 to 200 of the sums, as perhaps most of the combos are in that sums' range, there might be little filtration there and you might cut out the winning combo.

That is what I am saying not to do.

You need stats per all individual sums and also for particular groups of sums and then you filter out sums and or particular ranges in accord to what you see on the stats, just the same with other filters.

But as I said, you also need to know how many combos each filter pattern has or holds.

CT
                        United States
                        Member #61398
                        May 21, 2008
                        781 Posts
                        Posted: December 16, 2008, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

I see what you're saying.  The tricky part is to find the right combination of filters that reduces yout ticket output, but also allows a high amount of winning combinations through. Finding filters that match all winning draws and also reduce your ticket choices by a significant amount is difficult.

For example, in PB 84.88% of all winners have fit the sum range of 100-200 (292 of 344 draws).

Tx
                          United States
                          Member #4570
                          May 4, 2004
                          5180 Posts
                          Posted: December 16, 2008, 9:26 pm - IP Logged

-----------------------------Better (more Even stats and filtering, more equal groups, versus on the triangle above.

Tx
                            United States
                            Member #4570
                            May 4, 2004
                            5180 Posts
                            Posted: December 16, 2008, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

stew12

Yes, but that is, because most combos are in those sums, that equals very little filtering power.

That is not how one filters, filter as you would on a pick 3 game more or less, but adapted to jackpot games.

Look at my last post for example.

-----

Filter according to the make-up of the game and the stats of the filter patterns, but not in that way, filter out individual sums and groups of sums for example, according to stats.

Tx
                              United States
                              Member #4570
                              May 4, 2004
                              5180 Posts
                              Posted: December 16, 2008, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

But due to the obvious reasons, one is not as free to talk about jackpot games as one is about pick 3 games and good programs can not be made public for the same reasons, winning is already hard enough to do and competition is very high also.