Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:50 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Creating a Line at the Convient Store

Topic closed. 43 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Mario38.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Wheeler's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
Pittsburg, Ks
United States
Member #3382
January 17, 2004
80679 Posts
Posted: January 25, 2009, 4:12 pm - IP Logged

This morning I was in front of the line getting my tickets for the week. This week I decided to add two Pick 3 tickets. I gave the clerk my P3 playslip which came out again not giving me the tickets. So I ask the clerk if she would punch them in for me. As she was doing this other customers started pouring in. I bought my weekly $7 Tue x 2 ticket and she gave me my p3 tickets which came to a total of $9. It was $9. I told her I wanted the P3's for a week. I think I made her a little peeved cause I heard her miff.

after I paid my $21 and as I was heading for the door I saw a long line. I didn't say I was sorry but I did under my breath say "Holy Sh*t

I think there were about only maybe 5 or 6 people behind me. I didn't stick around to count

God Bless America

US Flag

ICNUMBERS's avatar - the eye.png
    Messy Michigan
    United States
    Member #64435
    August 28, 2008
    110 Posts
    Posted: January 25, 2009, 4:23 pm - IP Logged

Once I went to play my numbers after I got off work so I didn't have to come back out at a place where I normally don't go. I had about 10 numbers with no play slip. Mind you not when I started there was no line and then what you think there it was. People huffing and puffing and the clerk got impatient and cut me off as if people cigarette habit was more important than mine.

A lot of retailers in my area are very impatient with lottery people and they give their opinion on how or how not you should play.

Remember we are the decisions that we make, please take the time to educate.Stooges

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10345 Posts
      Posted: January 25, 2009, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

A few of the more popular lottery stores around here have signs posted:

If you're playing more than three numbers (meaning sets of numbers, regardless of the game), please fill out a playslip.

Not a bad idea- but ironically they don't always have playslips available!

Bang Head

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
        Member #58528
        February 18, 2008
        710 Posts
        Posted: January 25, 2009, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

As long as I have legitimate business at the counter I don't care if there is a hundred people in line behind me.I was there first and those behind me can mutter,cuss and swear all they want,they're just gonna have to wait.As for the clerk behind the counter,he/she is getting paid to wait on me as well as those behind me.If he/she doesn't like it,he/she needs to find another job.

Pogo's avatar - wfl
          NC
          United States
          Member #29378
          January 1, 2006
          552 Posts
          Posted: January 25, 2009, 5:43 pm - IP Logged

As long as I have legitimate business at the counter I don't care if there is a hundred people in line behind me.I was there first and those behind me can mutter,cuss and swear all they want,they're just gonna have to wait.As for the clerk behind the counter,he/she is getting paid to wait on me as well as those behind me.If he/she doesn't like it,he/she needs to find another job.

Mad Infuriated (me) Mad +++Cuss Word+++ I Agree! Exactly, I can't stand this type of behavior - It's like being at the grocery story with two items, and your in the 10 item express line with someone ahead of you with 30+ items... You sit there and patiently wait, while others won't... 'Nuff said - Pogo

tnlottodreamer's avatar - animal bear.jpg
            The Great Smoky Mountains
            United States
            Member #59921
            March 31, 2008
            266 Posts
            Posted: January 25, 2009, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

I wasbuyingh  lottery the other day and the lady kept treying to run thru the slip and said i had too many numbers and i saw no i play the same slip eveyweek then she said well there are others customers waiting and  I SAID I DINT CARE ABOUT THE OTHER CUSTOMERS BECAUSE I AM STILL THE CUSTOMER. needless to say I told the manager the next day and they fired her after they went back and wathced the tape of her huffing and puffing and being rude to me.

I Agree!*** You Can't Win, If You Don't Enter***

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
              Wisconsin
              United States
              Member #1303
              March 27, 2003
              1508 Posts
              Posted: January 25, 2009, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

Once I went to play my numbers after I got off work so I didn't have to come back out at a place where I normally don't go. I had about 10 numbers with no play slip. Mind you not when I started there was no line and then what you think there it was. People huffing and puffing and the clerk got impatient and cut me off as if people cigarette habit was more important than mine.

A lot of retailers in my area are very impatient with lottery people and they give their opinion on how or how not you should play.

They'e probably impatient becasue they make no money off the sale of just lottery tickets.  Unless you're buying at least a llittle something else, they feel you are holding up their "profit line".

I usually buy my tickets at the Customer Service counter at the Super Market I shop in, or at a convenience store where I at least get a cup of coffee and a doughnut in the morning.  They have always been much more cordial, even when the terminal does something weird with the ticket.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

United States
                Member #58528
                February 18, 2008
                710 Posts
                Posted: January 25, 2009, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

They'e probably impatient becasue they make no money off the sale of just lottery tickets.  Unless you're buying at least a llittle something else, they feel you are holding up their "profit line".

I usually buy my tickets at the Customer Service counter at the Super Market I shop in, or at a convenience store where I at least get a cup of coffee and a doughnut in the morning.  They have always been much more cordial, even when the terminal does something weird with the ticket.

They make plenty of money off of the sale of lottery tickets.If they didn't make money off of lottery tickets they wouldn't be selling lottery tickets.Maybe they don't make as much off of lottery tickets as they do from their overpriced milk & bread,but its only because they can't charge more for the tickets than the state allows.Why should a person buy something they don't want when they buy lottery tickets?

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
                  Dallas, TX
                  United States
                  Member #60284
                  April 12, 2008
                  3856 Posts
                  Posted: January 25, 2009, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

It's peer pressure. The clerk was pressured by those waiting in line. A smart cleark would not be hostile to the first person in line trying to please the person in the backend. Rather please all, because the person in the back is huffing and puffing towards the person in the front, not the clerk.

On average there is a waiting time, nothing is instant though some will take up more than 5 mins per transaction, or a bit longer. The clerk should treat all customers the same polite manner. If the line gets longer the clerk would have to speed up their movements, not the other way round. I used to work at retail clothing store and had about 9 people in line at some hours of the day, normally it takes me 3 mins checking one person out with 5 items. I speed up my movements and got them out the door in 1 mins, also mentioned to the rest of the people in line to get their payments ready as I was helping the first customer in line. It was a show. hehe

Then while I was working at Six Flag Over Texas on the boat ride, "Roaring Rapid", there were a long line during the summer season. Water rides during the summer is very popular, and the lines can make one wait up to 45 mins to get their ride. Knowing this (as I was a customer once at Six Flags) I speed up my loading routine, did tricks, jumping in and out the boat, locking people in all under 30 seconds, and send the boat off within 1 min. People clap their hands, and video taped me, it was a show. There were another dude I work with doing the same thing (he's better though, and I was inspired by him). It was dangerous on my part but I didn't really care, my job was to make the people visiting the park enjoyable...Soon people didn't care the long line they were too busy watching, and clapping. LOL

But think about it though, if the clerk huffing and puffing to even one customer, that same return customer will find it hard to build rappor with the clerk, vice versa. Which in turn awkwardness and perhaps lost of a customer. There are other stores within 1 mile that sells the very same thing, at least here it does.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                    Indiana
                    United States
                    Member #48725
                    January 7, 2007
                    1953 Posts
                    Posted: January 26, 2009, 1:17 am - IP Logged

I think if you want more than 3 sets of self picked numbers, you need to fill out a playslip.

Gonna win.Big Smile

United States
                      Member #916
                      December 12, 2002
                      18335 Posts
                      Posted: January 26, 2009, 1:29 am - IP Logged

In Ga a lot of places have a sign that ask you to fill out your playslip before heading to the counter.. I think it is common courtesy to do that..and it avoids mistakes that can be made when you call out your number. I have never had a bad experience playing my numbers...

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                        Member #14
                        November 9, 2001
                        31342 Posts
                        Posted: January 26, 2009, 1:48 am - IP Logged

They make plenty of money off of the sale of lottery tickets.If they didn't make money off of lottery tickets they wouldn't be selling lottery tickets.Maybe they don't make as much off of lottery tickets as they do from their overpriced milk & bread,but its only because they can't charge more for the tickets than the state allows.Why should a person buy something they don't want when they buy lottery tickets?

They make about 5% profit from tickets. 

love to nibble those micey feet.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: January 26, 2009, 2:05 am - IP Logged

Living in Florida, I am used to people spending a lot of time at the counter and/or asking lots of questions.  I also get interrupted when I'm trying to conduct business.  However, if it's your turn and you aren't being difficult or unreasonable, don't worry about the people in back of you.  Still, I always use a card, even when I get QPs.  It's much faster and it also reduces mix-ups.   Tonight (Sunday) I was waiting to buy my Fantasy5 ticket and a woman in front of me had about a dozen pick-3 cards.  I'm not sure what the heck she was doing, but she had them spread out on the counter.  I rarely cut in front or interrupt people, but this time I did.  I just looked at the clerk and said "I just want to play this one card" and handed her a dollar.  The other woman was still standing there staring at her cards when I left.

Regarding the profit retailers make:

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/150008

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                            Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: January 26, 2009, 3:24 am - IP Logged

Sorry - the OP does say a slip was filled out.  Maybe it wasn't scanning correctly, so it certainly isn't Wheeler's fault.  It's happened to me.  One night I filled out a card twice and the clerk couldn't get it through. 

I like the sig...3 out of 2 people have trouble with fractions.  Cute!  LOL

United States
                              Member #58528
                              February 18, 2008
                              710 Posts
                              Posted: January 26, 2009, 9:52 am - IP Logged

They make about 5% profit from tickets. 

I don't know how much profit they make on lottery tickets,but I assume its enough that most convenience stores,gas stations and grocery stores sell them.If they were not profitable,no one would sell them.

If those in line want to be waited on sooner,they should have arrived sooner!