Welcome Guest
You last visited April 19, 2018, 11:27 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Creating a Line at the Convient Store

Topic closed. 43 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Mario38.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #58528
February 18, 2008
710 Posts
Posted: January 26, 2009, 9:56 am - IP Logged

Living in Florida, I am used to people spending a lot of time at the counter and/or asking lots of questions.  I also get interrupted when I'm trying to conduct business.  However, if it's your turn and you aren't being difficult or unreasonable, don't worry about the people in back of you.  Still, I always use a card, even when I get QPs.  It's much faster and it also reduces mix-ups.   Tonight (Sunday) I was waiting to buy my Fantasy5 ticket and a woman in front of me had about a dozen pick-3 cards.  I'm not sure what the heck she was doing, but she had them spread out on the counter.  I rarely cut in front or interrupt people, but this time I did.  I just looked at the clerk and said "I just want to play this one card" and handed her a dollar.  The other woman was still standing there staring at her cards when I left.

Regarding the profit retailers make:

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/150008

You and the clerk were BOTH wrong.The lady was in line before you and should have been waited on before you.Its pushy people like you that cause most of the problems.WAIT YOUR TURN!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    20156 Posts
    Posted: January 26, 2009, 10:28 am - IP Logged

I don't know how much profit they make on lottery tickets,but I assume its enough that most convenience stores,gas stations and grocery stores sell them.If they were not profitable,no one would sell them.

If those in line want to be waited on sooner,they should have arrived sooner!

A lot of stores sell lottery tickets to attract costumers for their more profitable items.  One of the stores/service station where I buy my tickets has a drive thur window and they won't sell lottery tickets at that window, they only sell them at the inside counter.  They sell a lot of beer, cigarettes and pop at the window but no lottery tickets.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning one * 

Evil Looking       

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
      Member #91
      January 19, 2002
      13021 Posts
      Posted: January 26, 2009, 12:14 pm - IP Logged

The owner of the store where I buy my tickets put up a TV that you can see while you wait in line.  As long as your doing something else it doesn't seem like much of wait...... compared to waiting a full minute for something you know should only take about 15 seconds to do....It is fun to watch people get upset though,,(while I am the last person in line).

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
        Michigan
        United States
        Member #22395
        September 24, 2005
        1583 Posts
        Posted: January 26, 2009, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

You and the clerk were BOTH wrong.The lady was in line before you and should have been waited on before you.Its pushy people like you that cause most of the problems.WAIT YOUR TURN!

I believe customers have an obligation to hurry along, especially if someone is waiting behind them.

In express lines (12 items or less) DON'T go thru with 15 items (unless you get an OK from the clerk, which they do when that line isn't busy). 

If you are going to pay by check, have the check made out ahead of time before reaching the register.  If a credit/debit card, have the darn card in your hand - not buried in your purse/wallet.  Same for cash, get it ready, don't create a situation where you have to search for it.

Don't stand there talking to the clerk, get your stuff and make room for the next person.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
          Member #4877
          May 30, 2004
          5288 Posts
          Posted: January 26, 2009, 2:00 pm - IP Logged

This morning I was in front of the line getting my tickets for the week. This week I decided to add two Pick 3 tickets. I gave the clerk my P3 playslip which came out again not giving me the tickets. So I ask the clerk if she would punch them in for me. As she was doing this other customers started pouring in. I bought my weekly $7 Tue x 2 ticket and she gave me my p3 tickets which came to a total of $9. It was $9. I told her I wanted the P3's for a week. I think I made her a little peeved cause I heard her miff.

after I paid my $21 and as I was heading for the door I saw a long line. I didn't say I was sorry but I did under my breath say "Holy Sh*t

I think there were about only maybe 5 or 6 people behind me. I didn't stick around to count

Wheeler:

I would not get "UPSET"<<<<<<<<<<<<!!!!!!!!!!

When jackpot game's get in D high multi-millon'sss

PSYKOMO has 2 suffer D "WAIT" 2 spend my $$$$$

I L@@K @ IT dis-way "the moe D merry">>>>>>

translation:

DID any of U out dare read about my experience of

waiting in a MM line "BEHIND" a dude who bought

$200 in QP's......on that last BIG>>>>>JACKPOT!!

IN FACT>>>>>if U can buy QP's on a pick-3-4 "I"

would have gone back>>>>>>2>D>BACK of line

and "BOUGHT">>>>>QUICK-PICK'$$$$$$$$$$$$

LOL-U

PSYKOMO

United States
            Member #58528
            February 18, 2008
            710 Posts
            Posted: January 26, 2009, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

I believe customers have an obligation to hurry along, especially if someone is waiting behind them.

In express lines (12 items or less) DON'T go thru with 15 items (unless you get an OK from the clerk, which they do when that line isn't busy). 

If you are going to pay by check, have the check made out ahead of time before reaching the register.  If a credit/debit card, have the darn card in your hand - not buried in your purse/wallet.  Same for cash, get it ready, don't create a situation where you have to search for it.

Don't stand there talking to the clerk, get your stuff and make room for the next person.

I agree with you.But justxploring was  being rude when she cut in line to pay for her ticket.Just because a person in front of you is slow is no reason to be rude and to cut in line ahead of them.This person might have had a legitimate reason to be slow.She might have been trying to explain to the rude clerk that her lottery purchase was rang up wrong and the lottery tickets spread across the counter to show the rude clerk where she made the mistake.Just because someone doesn't move as fast as you want them to does NOT give anyone the right to cut in front of them.Like I said before,if you are in such a hurry,you should have come earlier!

San Diego, CA
              United States
              Member #58386
              February 12, 2008
              296 Posts
              Posted: January 26, 2009, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

I spoke to a convenience store owner and he told me the store selling lottery tickets is a convenience for the customers. 

I realized this even before he told me this.  I like to be courteous to other people in line.  I will usually wait a few minutes for the line to go away. 

It is like the people in the grocery store who pay with credit card in the express lane and annoys everyone else in line.

Just because you are entitled to do something, doesn't mean you do it. 

GamerMom's avatar - tails

United States
                Member #60535
                April 21, 2008
                460 Posts
                Posted: January 26, 2009, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

Um yeah i'm sure the stores aren't just selling the lottery tickets to be nice.  They get LOTS of $$$ if they sell the winning JP ticket....

United States
                  Member #10720
                  January 23, 2005
                  933 Posts
                  Posted: January 26, 2009, 9:17 pm - IP Logged

-A while back the PB matrix changed, I played tickets for January, using betslips. They printed with a start date of Feb. 25!

-Most of the ticket agents don't seem to know what "Pairs" are. They look at me funny or if I win on one they can't figure out
                  how I did that.

-Always use betslips, and make sure there aren't any missing/extra marks or anything that could trip up the machine. Stockpile them because a lot of times the Store is out of them.

United States
                    Member #4877
                    May 30, 2004
                    5288 Posts
                    Posted: January 26, 2009, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

I spoke to a convenience store owner and he told me the store selling lottery tickets is a convenience for the customers. 

I realized this even before he told me this.  I like to be courteous to other people in line.  I will usually wait a few minutes for the line to go away. 

It is like the people in the grocery store who pay with credit card in the express lane and annoys everyone else in line.

Just because you are entitled to do something, doesn't mean you do it. 

WOW>>>>>>>>U-say-U-can't>>>>WAIT??

BUT, >>their is alwaway's a lotto BUTT's out

DARE>>>>>>>>::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WAITING 4-D OBAMA covinence stow!!!!!!!!!!!

(1) darn, I wont my heart transPLANT now!!!

(2) hell, pay for my mortage payment's !!!!!!!

(3) what about "MY" car payment????? !!!!!!!

(4) WHAT ABOUT my HIGH DEFICATION TV?

(now, I must wait another 2 DAM month's 4 an <snip>)!!!!!

(5)HELL>>>>>>::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WHY not send "ME" D "MONEY"!!!

(1) I will pay 4 my HEALTHKAR!!!

(2) I will make my house pays!!!!

(3) I will make my car payment!!

(4) I will buy a 42"HD>>FLAT2!!

Please OBAMA>>>!!!!!!!!!

"trust me">>>I vote 4U!

"GIVE PEACE a CHANCE"!

BUT, & dare is alway's A

BUTT, out dare somewher

"we want a big piece">>

"NO PEANUT BUTTER"!!!!!

Jack-in-the-BoxPartyJack-in-the-BoxPartyPartyJack-in-the-Box

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

United States
                      Member #10720
                      January 23, 2005
                      933 Posts
                      Posted: January 26, 2009, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

Basically there are a certain amount of goods and services to go around to everyone at any given time. We accumulate coupons called "money" to represent our relative share of the world's goods/services a.k.a. our "demand power". If you increase everyone's demand power the same value (a.k.a. stimulus), then nothing changes. If you win the Lottery you make your own stimulus and your demand power increases greatly while millions of others' reduce very slightly. The Government can print all the money they want but that doesn't increase everyone's standard of living. More efficiency, more production, and time devoted to such, is what will get everyone the goods and services they need and want. Or to put another way, if everyone won the Big One, there'd be nobody wanting to drive the limousines.

Wheeler's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
                        Pittsburg, Ks
                        United States
                        Member #3382
                        January 17, 2004
                        104073 Posts
                        Posted: January 26, 2009, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

Wheeler:

I would not get "UPSET"<<<<<<<<<<<<!!!!!!!!!!

When jackpot game's get in D high multi-millon'sss

PSYKOMO has 2 suffer D "WAIT" 2 spend my $$$$$

I L@@K @ IT dis-way "the moe D merry">>>>>>

translation:

DID any of U out dare read about my experience of

waiting in a MM line "BEHIND" a dude who bought

$200 in QP's......on that last BIG>>>>>JACKPOT!!

IN FACT>>>>>if U can buy QP's on a pick-3-4 "I"

would have gone back>>>>>>2>D>BACK of line

and "BOUGHT">>>>>QUICK-PICK'$$$$$$$$$$$$

LOL-U

PSYKOMO

Psyokmo,

I didn't get upset. I just miffed off the clerk

God Bless America

US Flag

United States
                          Member #4877
                          May 30, 2004
                          5288 Posts
                          Posted: January 26, 2009, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

Psyokmo,

I didn't get upset. I just miffed off the clerk

thank-U-Wheeler:

PSYKO & the (our group) band "RESPECT's" all on LP!!!!!

we travel a lot & C the world from "our perspective"!!!!!

"WE" only wish 2 wake UP people over D rainbow>>>!!

Todd does a "DAM" g@@d job in KEEP'g dis a "GREAT"!

POST>>>>>>>>>>>>>$>>>>>>>>4>>>>>>######'sssssss"ONLY"!!!!!

KNOW-1 know's whose ODK.com or FABRIC.com>GREAT LOTTERY POST!!!!!!!!!

DON't tell PSYKO sing's 4 a living'g and play's D JACKPOT as much as possible!!

LOL

PSYKOMO

Perfecttiming2's avatar - redcross

United States
                            Member #65961
                            October 11, 2008
                            191 Posts
                            Posted: January 28, 2009, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

Once I went to play my numbers after I got off work so I didn't have to come back out at a place where I normally don't go. I had about 10 numbers with no play slip. Mind you not when I started there was no line and then what you think there it was. People huffing and puffing and the clerk got impatient and cut me off as if people cigarette habit was more important than mine.

A lot of retailers in my area are very impatient with lottery people and they give their opinion on how or how not you should play.

Hi Icnumbers!

I am very selective as to where I buy my ticket(s).

You have to remember that when a person wins the lottery, the retailer who sold the winning ticket gets a nice check just for selling it....

So keep in mind that you don't have to give your money to someone who mistreats you.

There was one 7- Eleven store that I use to go to....until the clerk yelled at me for only spending $1 on lotto.

Where I live, there are people with money who do play the lotto....faithfully.  So maybe he thougth I should be spending more like the others. Regardless........whether its $1 or more, there is no reason to be rude to your customer.  Needless to say, I have not been back to that store since.

Its like that scene in the movie Pretty Woman where Julia Roberts is trying to buy a dress and the snooty women in the Beverly Hills store won't help her........she later returns from a shopping spree at another store in Beverly Hills just to show them all of the commission they could have had, had they been nice to her....

I try to prepare my playslip in advance (esp. when there is a large jackpot and I know there will be a lot of people playing).  Some retailers will give you a plastic holder for your playslips and your tickets so you will always be ready at the counter.

If you don't want some jerk getting money off of your win because they were mean and rude to you... don't buy from them.

I hope you can find a few stores (gas station, supermarkets or a lotto kiosk) that you can buy your tickets from that you do like, so should you win...the nice retailer wins too.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - pI8lWzJ

United States
                              Member #56506
                              November 21, 2007
                              6624 Posts
                              Posted: January 28, 2009, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

In Ga a lot of places have a sign that ask you to fill out your playslip before heading to the counter.. I think it is common courtesy to do that..and it avoids mistakes that can be made when you call out your number. I have never had a bad experience playing my numbers...

I always use playslips. I think it just makes the whole process easier. Although, there still have been mistakes made. Usually it's because the terminal had been acting up or something.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."