Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 3:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Creating a Line at the Convient Store

Topic closed. 43 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Mario38.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
garyo1954's avatar - garyo
Dallas, Texas
United States
Member #4549
May 2, 2004
1736 Posts
Posted: January 28, 2009, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

Strange I should see this thread today.

When I went to buy my tickets earlier, the young person at the counter was cashing in some scratch offs. The guy behind him was waiting to get a check approved, and I was third in line. I make my playslips out at the house so I don't have to rush and have every opportunity to see they are what I want to play before heading out.

While the clerk was totalling and making his change, the young man is scratching the tickets he just bought.

What do you know, a winner. He proceeds to have the clerk verify it as well.

So the fellow in front of me moves to the side of the desk and starts writing his check which speeded the process.

Of course before he finished writing the kid is gone, and the clerk motions to me and I naturally defer to the checkwriter who urges me to go ahead.

I did and apologized for going ahead since he had been waiting longer than I had. Of course, it gave us the opportunity to chat a bit and we all came away from what was a taxing delay with a smile. 

MysteryMan424's avatar - batman22
    Pelham NY
    United States
    Member #60411
    April 16, 2008
    169 Posts
    Posted: January 31, 2009, 11:53 am - IP Logged

Jeez in New York City and the outer boroughs there's a store that sells lottery on every block so tie ups just don't happen here.

Port St lucie
      United States
      Member #54218
      August 10, 2007
      9 Posts
      Posted: January 31, 2009, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

Sometimes when one feels the need to play additional numbers after tickets have been filled out, its better Karma to leave the line pay for what was scanned by previous filled out tickets and fill out new ones with the numbers,( U might actually think twice and that has worked in my favor also BY NOT PLAYING) Quick Picks in additional to another order are okay no sweat for the clerk but sometimes it is IN-Conconvient to the purpose of other people in line..If theres no one around and its u and the clerk and U....... I'm sure they won't mind a few numbers punched in..

We have all see n the guy who shows up at 7:35 pm with nothing better to do than gum up the works, with scribbled piece of paper with a trillion pick three's on it..u don't want end up like that in life ....sure they win! only after they spend $500.Bucks and piss everyone off!

I have always have seemed to win the play 3 and play 4 upteem million times when i tried the least with a just few favorite numbers and at the most pecuilar moment in time

Once a women ahead of me told the clerk off for a simple clerical error and refused the ticket 's I opted to by them and you what?, I won the Fanatsy Five in Florida...so the negative karma u dish out in this world comes back ten fold, ten fold to the good my way, ten fold bad to the women who told off the clerk and asked to cancel the tickets I ended up buying..Hee hee

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #56506
        November 21, 2007
        6537 Posts
        Posted: January 31, 2009, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

"Once a women ahead of me told the clerk off for a simple clerical errorand refused the ticket 's I opted to by them and you what?, I won theFanatsy Five in Florida...so the negative karma u dish out in thisworld comes back ten fold, ten fold to the good my way, ten fold bad tothe women who told off the clerk and asked to cancel the tickets Iended up buying..Hee hee"

Oh wow! Very cool. I wonder if the woman knew that she lost out on a big win. By the way, Welcome to Lottery Post RustyBear!

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3475 Posts
          Posted: February 1, 2009, 5:41 am - IP Logged

I agree with you.But justxploring was  being rude when she cut in line to pay for her ticket.Just because a person in front of you is slow is no reason to be rude and to cut in line ahead of them.This person might have had a legitimate reason to be slow.She might have been trying to explain to the rude clerk that her lottery purchase was rang up wrong and the lottery tickets spread across the counter to show the rude clerk where she made the mistake.Just because someone doesn't move as fast as you want them to does NOT give anyone the right to cut in front of them.Like I said before,if you are in such a hurry,you should have come earlier!

You weren't there, so how would you know who was being rude? Standing at the counter infront of other customers doesn't automatically guarantee that you deserve the clerk's  entire attention or that  people who were behind you shouldn't be taken care of. Yeah, the customer may have had a legitimate reason for being slow, but maybe she was just being slow at  picking up her tickets and leaving. Maybe she was standing there for any number of reasons that aren't a legitimate reason for others to wait for her. It's possible that the clerk should have asked Justx to wait, but I'm guessing it's far more likely that taking care of her means it was a perfectly acceptable thing to do.

United States
            Member #58528
            February 18, 2008
            710 Posts
            Posted: February 1, 2009, 11:57 am - IP Logged

You weren't there, so how would you know who was being rude? Standing at the counter infront of other customers doesn't automatically guarantee that you deserve the clerk's  entire attention or that  people who were behind you shouldn't be taken care of. Yeah, the customer may have had a legitimate reason for being slow, but maybe she was just being slow at  picking up her tickets and leaving. Maybe she was standing there for any number of reasons that aren't a legitimate reason for others to wait for her. It's possible that the clerk should have asked Justx to wait, but I'm guessing it's far more likely that taking care of her means it was a perfectly acceptable thing to do.

I stand by my post.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: February 1, 2009, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

I stand by my post.

Thank you, KY Floyd.   Mike, you are entitled to your opinion, but if you read my post again, it's obvious I said the woman was not ready to do business.  When I gestured to the clerk, she took my card without hesitation.  The way you sound, I shoved the woman aside!  As I wrote in my last post, she was still standing at the counter staring at her cards when I left the supermarket.

Let me ask you .. if you buy a candy bar, do you stand at the register and eat it?  When they call your number at the deli counter, do you then discuss with your wife how many people might show up at your party this weekend and whether you want a deli platter or cheese & crackers? Maybe you do.  If you went with a list and spend 20 minutes ordering, that would be different.  It has nothing to do with the amount of time a person takes to finish. If you go to McDonald's and the person in front of you is ordering for 10 people, that's his right and you need to be patient.  However, what about someone standing there saying "Ya know, I'm not even sure if I'm hungry. Let's see. I had a snack at about 10:30 and it's 1:00 now, so I'll probably be hungry by 2:00 if I don't get at least a hamburger.  What do you think?" That would be a bit irritating, don't ya think?

I didn't mean to start a whole new subject, but this is very common.  For example, remember when I said I was too polite?  Well let's say you need money and go to an ATM.  If someone in front of you has several transactions, that's his right, since he was there first.  However, there have been a few times when I didn't have my deposit slip completed and saw someone in back of me, so I drove through, grabbed an envelope and circled around again, so that customer could get his money.  Do you think someone should be figuring out his monthly budget and what he needs for the week for groceries, gas, etc., at the ATM?  I feel the same way about that car you see sitting at the pump for 15 minutes when the gas station is crowded.  If I need to use the bathroom or want to buy lottery tickets or buy a beverage, I move it to one of the spaces in front of the convenient mart when I'm done pumping gas.

By the way, this is still not what happened to Wheeler.  Wheeler was not at fault.   Sometimes a card isn't read properly.  If you are already in line and are ready to buy tickets, that's entirely different.

United States
                Member #58528
                February 18, 2008
                710 Posts
                Posted: February 1, 2009, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

Thank you, KY Floyd.   Mike, you are entitled to your opinion, but if you read my post again, it's obvious I said the woman was not ready to do business.  When I gestured to the clerk, she took my card without hesitation.  The way you sound, I shoved the woman aside!  As I wrote in my last post, she was still standing at the counter staring at her cards when I left the supermarket.

Let me ask you .. if you buy a candy bar, do you stand at the register and eat it?  When they call your number at the deli counter, do you then discuss with your wife how many people might show up at your party this weekend and whether you want a deli platter or cheese & crackers? Maybe you do.  If you went with a list and spend 20 minutes ordering, that would be different.  It has nothing to do with the amount of time a person takes to finish. If you go to McDonald's and the person in front of you is ordering for 10 people, that's his right and you need to be patient.  However, what about someone standing there saying "Ya know, I'm not even sure if I'm hungry. Let's see. I had a snack at about 10:30 and it's 1:00 now, so I'll probably be hungry by 2:00 if I don't get at least a hamburger.  What do you think?" That would be a bit irritating, don't ya think?

I didn't mean to start a whole new subject, but this is very common.  For example, remember when I said I was too polite?  Well let's say you need money and go to an ATM.  If someone in front of you has several transactions, that's his right, since he was there first.  However, there have been a few times when I didn't have my deposit slip completed and saw someone in back of me, so I drove through, grabbed an envelope and circled around again, so that customer could get his money.  Do you think someone should be figuring out his monthly budget and what he needs for the week for groceries, gas, etc., at the ATM?  I feel the same way about that car you see sitting at the pump for 15 minutes when the gas station is crowded.  If I need to use the bathroom or want to buy lottery tickets or buy a beverage, I move it to one of the spaces in front of the convenient mart when I'm done pumping gas.

By the way, this is still not what happened to Wheeler.  Wheeler was not at fault.   Sometimes a card isn't read properly.  If you are already in line and are ready to buy tickets, that's entirely different.

You are great at giving analogys of things that have nothing to do with the subject at hand.

Here is what you said: "Tonight (Sunday) I was waiting to buy my Fantasy5 ticket and a woman in front of me had about a dozen pick-3 cards.  I'm not sure what the heck she was doing, but she had them spread out on the counter.  I rarely cut in front or interrupt people, but this time I did.  I just looked at the clerk and said "I just want to play this one card" and handed her a dollar."

What I took away from your post was that you didn't know what the lady in front of you was doing and you didn't really care because you wanted the clerk to wait on you NOW!You handed the clerk your card and your money and she accepted them and ignored the lady in front of you.

I stand by my previous post.You and the clerk were RUDE.You cut in line in front of another person.You admitted that you didn't know what she was doing,but you went ahead and cut in front of her away. 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: February 16, 2009, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the laugh, Mike.   I was rude because someone spent 15 minutes staring blankly at cards scattered all over the counter and hadn't decided what to bet.  I'm a pushy person because the clerk took my card since she was standing there not doing anything and wanted to help someone.  I guess you also believe that if someone has 30 items in the express line that, if I said something to the cashier, I would be rude.  If someone is broken down at a traffic light & the light turns green, yellow & red 4 or 5 times, do you wait until the tow truck arrives to pass?  After all, according to your rules,  it would be rude to move on because he's just sitting there.  Or would you do the reasonable thing and, if a police officer beckoned you to go around him, carefully pass the guy who is stuck? 

Bash

Okay.  You win!

Canada
                    Member #68663
                    December 27, 2008
                    260 Posts
                    Posted: February 16, 2009, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

justxploring,

I agree with the other poster. I think you were very rude. Even your post trying to defend your actions sounds rude and sarcastic.

United States
                      Member #58528
                      February 18, 2008
                      710 Posts
                      Posted: February 16, 2009, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

I've said all I'm gonna say on the subject.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                        Texas
                        United States
                        Member #55889
                        October 23, 2007
                        5615 Posts
                        Posted: February 17, 2009, 8:58 am - IP Logged

justxploring,

I agree with the other poster. I think you were very rude. Even your post trying to defend your actions sounds rude and sarcastic.

Actually, it seems like a situation where a person has to be there to really know what happened. By reading, one can form an opinion that is not accurate. And, there is no cause for flat out calling someone rude when none of us was there to witness it. It also seems the lady staring at her playslips was oblivious to anyone or anything going on around her. But, again, I nor anyone of us was there.

larry3100's avatar - larry icon2.jpg
                          Redwood City,California
                          United States
                          Member #70503
                          February 3, 2009
                          200 Posts
                          Posted: February 17, 2009, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

I buy my lottery tickets at a gas service and convenience store.It's a lot faster.Smiley

Canada
                            Member #68663
                            December 27, 2008
                            260 Posts
                            Posted: February 17, 2009, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

Actually, it seems like a situation where a person has to be there to really know what happened. By reading, one can form an opinion that is not accurate. And, there is no cause for flat out calling someone rude when none of us was there to witness it. It also seems the lady staring at her playslips was oblivious to anyone or anything going on around her. But, again, I nor anyone of us was there.

I prefaced my comments with "I think" not I know.