Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 1:41 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Good habit or Bad habit?

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 8 years ago by pumpi76.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Entertaiment Capital
United States
Member #37800
April 19, 2006
302 Posts
Posted: January 26, 2009, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

Sometimes I drive to downtown LA to buy some Japanese books and buy Korean art supplies. I see a lot of beggars. I can't just pass by them without giving them a dollar. It's just me. I am not really a compassionate person. I can be a mean <snip>. But I almost always give money to them. I don't care if they are fake beggars at all. I don't care if they will use the money for drugs. I just hand out a dollar bill to them.

I was on 6th St onto 110 Freeway. A thin white girl with a hoodie was stading on a street corner with a sign. I briefly thought if she's a fake one. But she looked very desperate. She didn't particularly ask me to give money. But I just rolled down my car window and gave her a dollar bill.

Maybe I am bragging about it. I am not sure. I don't feel the need of hiding good conduct. I am an atheist and I don't buy Biblical teachings. What I do is what I do. There's no reason to hide it unless it's a shameful one.

On my way home I started wonder if I deserves a jackpot. Well, during the 32 years of my life I've suffered major setbacks and failures. And I suffered unimaginably horrible psychosomatic pain. And I surely know there is nothing beautiful or sacred about suffering. I was there. And there's nothing lovely about suffering.

If I win a jackpot I'd donate to charity just to get a tax break. Well, maybe not. I don't trust charity organization after I saw an Aston Martin with a school for blind logo on it. Maybe I should run my own soup kitchen. No money. Just food and clothings. There are always unfortunate suckers out there. Somebody's gotta help them no matter what.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
    Dump Water Florida
    United States
    Member #380
    June 5, 2002
    3102 Posts
    Posted: January 26, 2009, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

If you can afford it, (no one at home will pay the price) I don't see a problem with it.   However, don't expect to be rewarded for these "good works" with a jackpot win. 

When I win, I'd like to help finance a micro bank that gives loans to the poor to start a small business like car waxing or tailoring for a dry cleaner.

BobP

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: January 26, 2009, 11:28 pm - IP Logged

Do you "deserve" a jackpot? 

That would be like asking if one person "deserves" to get cancer.   Good things happen to bad people and bad things happen to good people.   

I hope you don't think giving money to homeless people makes you a better person than someone else.  It's just that most people don't talk about it or expect to be rewarded for helping others.  They just do it.

Oh, I want to add that I am very sorry you are suffering.  I understand what it's like to be in pain all the time and it can be overwhelming.

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
        Member #9517
        December 10, 2004
        1272 Posts
        Posted: January 27, 2009, 5:44 am - IP Logged

No one win a jackpot because they deserve it. They win it because it was their luck this time.

You say you're an atheist, but says you deserve a jackpot like you expect some overgodly spirit will give it to you.
        I am also an atheist and don't expect to win a jackpot unless pure coincidences and luck give it to me.

1st prizes are for the lucky ones. 2nd to 5th prize are for people with good systems (hopefully).

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10344 Posts
          Posted: January 28, 2009, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

ambelamba

You may be an atheist but you're certainly implying you believe in karma (briefly, what goes around comes around....we'll stop it short of reincarnation to come back and learn karmic lessons).

As far as "deserving" to win a jackpot, there' are plenty of people who deserve to win a jackpot, but that's just not the way it works.

As far as giving vagrants $1, well the law of karma will see to it that you win an occassional dollar.

This doesn't mean to start giving street people Ben Franklins, it just means it is what it is.

If your motivation for giving is giving a dollar so you'll win millions, you might want to rethink it.

To understand karma, we have to understand what a karmic debt is.

Someone goes to the grocery store and frozen pizzas are on sale, 4 for $20. They put them on the bottom of their cart, the cashier misses them, and they get out of the store with them, thinking they "got over" for $20. A few days later, they same person loses a $20 bill. (And human nature tells us that they will be furious over this). When they got the pizzas, they created a "karmic debt". The cosmos came and collected it.

Deserving jackpots? Why didn't Mother Teresa win one every drawing?

Why did Jack Whitaker, David Edwards, and the sex ofender in Alaska win one?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Sunny California
            United States
            Member #40295
            May 31, 2006
            7712 Posts
            Posted: January 28, 2009, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

Maybe if you stopped being an athiest and started having a little "faith" than better things would come your way. Big Grin 

keithporter's avatar - side smile.jpg
              stone mountain
              United States
              Member #68471
              December 22, 2008
              111 Posts
              Posted: January 28, 2009, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

Sometimes I drive to downtown LA to buy some Japanese books and buy Korean art supplies. I see a lot of beggars. I can't just pass by them without giving them a dollar. It's just me. I am not really a compassionate person. I can be a mean <snip>. But I almost always give money to them. I don't care if they are fake beggars at all. I don't care if they will use the money for drugs. I just hand out a dollar bill to them.

I was on 6th St onto 110 Freeway. A thin white girl with a hoodie was stading on a street corner with a sign. I briefly thought if she's a fake one. But she looked very desperate. She didn't particularly ask me to give money. But I just rolled down my car window and gave her a dollar bill.

Maybe I am bragging about it. I am not sure. I don't feel the need of hiding good conduct. I am an atheist and I don't buy Biblical teachings. What I do is what I do. There's no reason to hide it unless it's a shameful one.

On my way home I started wonder if I deserves a jackpot. Well, during the 32 years of my life I've suffered major setbacks and failures. And I suffered unimaginably horrible psychosomatic pain. And I surely know there is nothing beautiful or sacred about suffering. I was there. And there's nothing lovely about suffering.

If I win a jackpot I'd donate to charity just to get a tax break. Well, maybe not. I don't trust charity organization after I saw an Aston Martin with a school for blind logo on it. Maybe I should run my own soup kitchen. No money. Just food and clothings. There are always unfortunate suckers out there. Somebody's gotta help them no matter what.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

create your own charity. Watch the family members. 70 percent of all big winners go broke after a period of time. Most due to family and friend. The 70 percent all had

one thing in common. They all tried to please everone.

Entertaiment Capital
                United States
                Member #37800
                April 19, 2006
                302 Posts
                Posted: January 28, 2009, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

Maybe if you stopped being an athiest and started having a little "faith" than better things would come your way. Big Grin 

Belief without solid evidence is shaky at best. I don't like the concept of 'faith' at all.

And you just ruined my day for urging me to have FAITH.

EDIT: Well, actually I learned a very valuable lesson. I am really offended by the suggestion that I should have a faith. So I came to realize that challenging believers will offend them in the same way. Actually, I am really furious by the FAITH comment. Now I know how believers feel when someone try to debunk their faith. I hate religions but offending people into anger is a really bad thing. I should stop arguing with believers and stop talking about critical analysis on religions, especially christianity.

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
                  Dallas, TX
                  United States
                  Member #60284
                  April 12, 2008
                  3856 Posts
                  Posted: January 29, 2009, 1:06 am - IP Logged

Do what's right to you and hope karma does good in return.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and hewill eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish. :P

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                    Member #13130
                    March 30, 2005
                    2171 Posts
                    Posted: January 29, 2009, 1:22 am - IP Logged

Religion has little to do with winning. The thing that all winners have in common, religious or not, is they bought a ticket.Smash

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                    Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

s5thomps's avatar - Lottery-033.jpg
                      Hard Luck, Ak
                      United States
                      Member #23472
                      October 13, 2005
                      275 Posts
                      Posted: January 29, 2009, 1:51 am - IP Logged

ambelamba

You may be an atheist but you're certainly implying you believe in karma (briefly, what goes around comes around....we'll stop it short of reincarnation to come back and learn karmic lessons).

As far as "deserving" to win a jackpot, there' are plenty of people who deserve to win a jackpot, but that's just not the way it works.

As far as giving vagrants $1, well the law of karma will see to it that you win an occassional dollar.

This doesn't mean to start giving street people Ben Franklins, it just means it is what it is.

If your motivation for giving is giving a dollar so you'll win millions, you might want to rethink it.

To understand karma, we have to understand what a karmic debt is.

Someone goes to the grocery store and frozen pizzas are on sale, 4 for $20. They put them on the bottom of their cart, the cashier misses them, and they get out of the store with them, thinking they "got over" for $20. A few days later, they same person loses a $20 bill. (And human nature tells us that they will be furious over this). When they got the pizzas, they created a "karmic debt". The cosmos came and collected it.

Deserving jackpots? Why didn't Mother Teresa win one every drawing?

Why did Jack Whitaker, David Edwards, and the sex ofender in Alaska win one?

I Agree!

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
                        Kunming
                        China
                        Member #57910
                        January 23, 2008
                        3626 Posts
                        Posted: January 29, 2009, 4:52 am - IP Logged

Sorry to disagree lottolaughs but having "faith" doesn't change anything unless you believe in it. I've said this before on other posts. Good people win lotteries, Bad people win lotteries. Atheist, Agnostics, Christians, Jews, Muslin, Buddhist, etc. all win lotteries. I do see your point though. If you believe that "this or that" will get you "this or that" maybe just believing it or having "faith" that it will is all that YOU the individual needs to get what you want. Whatever works for you. Life is so complex and full of speculation, theories and what if's.

Play to win!

Entertaiment Capital
                          United States
                          Member #37800
                          April 19, 2006
                          302 Posts
                          Posted: January 29, 2009, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

Sorry to disagree lottolaughs but having "faith" doesn't change anything unless you believe in it. I've said this before on other posts. Good people win lotteries, Bad people win lotteries. Atheist, Agnostics, Christians, Jews, Muslin, Buddhist, etc. all win lotteries. I do see your point though. If you believe that "this or that" will get you "this or that" maybe just believing it or having "faith" that it will is all that YOU the individual needs to get what you want. Whatever works for you. Life is so complex and full of speculation, theories and what if's.

Yes. In UK a convicted serial rapist won a jackpot. And considering the a-religious atmosphere in UK I bet that creep is not on the faithful side. But he won a jackpot.

To Lottolaughs: I was a believer. I was a christian. Actually I was a really hardcore one who believed in rapture and the coming of antichrist. Now I am an avowed atheist. I know what it's like when I had a faith.

It was like mainlining on heroin. Or...morphine. Although I had a great fear of this christian god but I really believed that god was on my side as long as I am faithful to him. I was wrong. Dead wrong.

See, ex-believers are the angriest bunch. Those atheists who were raised in atheist environment are usually happy because they never experienced the 'betrayal'. Ex-believers tend to think they have been deceived completely. All the biblical promises are nothing but broken and false ones to them.

Sunny California
                            United States
                            Member #40295
                            May 31, 2006
                            7712 Posts
                            Posted: January 29, 2009, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

Yes. In UK a convicted serial rapist won a jackpot. And considering the a-religious atmosphere in UK I bet that creep is not on the faithful side. But he won a jackpot.

To Lottolaughs: I was a believer. I was a christian. Actually I was a really hardcore one who believed in rapture and the coming of antichrist. Now I am an avowed atheist. I know what it's like when I had a faith.

It was like mainlining on heroin. Or...morphine. Although I had a great fear of this christian god but I really believed that god was on my side as long as I am faithful to him. I was wrong. Dead wrong.

See, ex-believers are the angriest bunch. Those atheists who were raised in atheist environment are usually happy because they never experienced the 'betrayal'. Ex-believers tend to think they have been deceived completely. All the biblical promises are nothing but broken and false ones to them.

I know exactly what you mean. I've known people who used to "believe" but something happened to shatter their faith and they go the opposite way. That's understandable. I didn't mean to make you angry, just meant that if you are suffering as you say,what harm can it do to believe in something "positive"? It doesn't have to be God, it can be anything. A beautiful sunrise, a flower, all the wonders of nature, yourself? It's the positivity that will bring good things to your life and it sounds like you are doing that by giving to the less fortunate. A time will come when all your good deeds will rush back to you. It might not be what you expect (it rarely is), but it will come. Smiley 

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
                              Kunming
                              China
                              Member #57910
                              January 23, 2008
                              3626 Posts
                              Posted: January 29, 2009, 10:43 pm - IP Logged

Ambelamba, you have some valid points. Religion is meant to "brainwash" you. And the best way to do it is 1. When you are young 2. Put fear in you.  So I understand your thinking. I too use to follow a religion but now am free of all that. I do believe that we are not alone and we are guided somehow in life. What or who that is I don't know. I believe no "man is an island" so when we win in the lottery it's because someone has guide us there. For example if I tell you "ambelamba, you will NEVER win the lottery!!!!!" That statement I make can make you determined to work even harder to make sure you hit the lottery ( not that you will) but it can inspire you to try harder. So to every action there is a reaction. That reaction can in effect put you at the right time and right place. Whatever keeps you going in life and brings postive things in it for YOU, keep doing.

Play to win!