Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

"President Obama today announced plans for a national lottery..."

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 8 years ago by DeeSpence.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
TotallyDavis's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
North Charleston, SC
United States
Member #69214
January 6, 2009
45 Posts
Posted: March 12, 2009, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

"The American National Lottery will work as follows: Each resident and citizen of the U.S. will have an increased tax burden of $10 per year, which will raise an estimated $3 billion dollars of total prize money. 

Social security numbers will be randomly drawn at the end of each year, and here's how that $3 billion breaks down:

GRAND PRIZE: $1 billion to be awarded to one lucky winner each year. 

SECOND PRIZE: $100 million dollars each to FIVE second place winners. 

RUNNERS UP: $1 million dollars to FIVE HUNDRED runners up. 

This will leave approximately $1 billion dollars in additional tax revenue for the federal government.  All prizes will be tax free as they were generated through tax dollars to begin with."

Ok, so this isn't real.  But it's an idea.  What's yours?  How should a national lottery work?  Should the US be in the business of lotteries as a federal practice?  Is it a good idea to help raise additional taxes?  Should it be mandatory or not?

TnTicketlosers's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg

United States
    Member #71120
    February 19, 2009
    1209 Posts
    Posted: March 12, 2009, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

I dont understand their way of thinking,why in the world dont they split that money up more so everyone gets a chance to win a little something.I dont understand any of the lotteries ways.It would give us all a chance to win a little minstead of nothing at all....

TnTicketlosers's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg

United States
      Member #71120
      February 19, 2009
      1209 Posts
      Posted: March 12, 2009, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

instead is what I meant

Entertaiment Capital
        United States
        Member #37800
        April 19, 2006
        302 Posts
        Posted: March 12, 2009, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

A sudden windfall of 1 billions dollars is a curse, not a blessing.

larry3100's avatar - larry icon2.jpg
          Redwood City,California
          United States
          Member #70503
          February 3, 2009
          200 Posts
          Posted: March 12, 2009, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

A national lottery is a great idea.They could build a work incentive into it where the more money is earned the more points are given and thus have a better chance of winning the $ BILLION DOLLARS. And  sometimes they could have it where onethousand people could win $ONEMILLION DOLLARS each.( The're a thousand millions in a billion).Also,as an incentive, illegal immigrants (They want to win too!) go back to their country,learn our language (ENGLISH!) apply for American citizenship,Come back and maybe win the big jackpot ! LOL

NASHVILLE, TENN
            United States
            Member #33372
            February 20, 2006
            1044 Posts
            Posted: March 12, 2009, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

We will have a national lottory one of these days.  There isn't a politician around who would turn down the chance to have more money to spend.  The surprise is that no national lottory has been proposed.

Honduras
              Member #20982
              August 29, 2005
              4715 Posts
              Posted: March 12, 2009, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

is a great idea but I think it should be studied more, perhaps study what more can be done that is productive...the only problem with that is that it is too large the sample and there will be 3 thousand majority winners for every 1 person a minority or black person or asian person...Not only is there minorities but there are groups that are WAY smaller than minorities...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                Charlotte NC
                United States
                Member #17406
                June 18, 2005
                4053 Posts
                Posted: March 12, 2009, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

"The American National Lottery will work as follows: Each resident and citizen of the U.S. will have an increased tax burden of $10 per year, which will raise an estimated $3 billion dollars of total prize money. 

Social security numbers will be randomly drawn at the end of each year, and here's how that $3 billion breaks down:

This will leave approximately $1 billion dollars in additional tax revenue for the federal government.  All prizes will be tax free as they were generated through tax dollars to begin with."

Ok, so this isn't real.  But it's an idea.  What's yours?  How should a national lottery work?  Should the US be in the business of lotteries as a federal practice?  Is it a good idea to help raise additional taxes?  Should it be mandatory or not?

shhhhhhhh.  better keep this on the downlow.  somebody might start a campaign against it.

takeemtothebank

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                  Idaho
                  United States
                  Member #56506
                  November 21, 2007
                  6537 Posts
                  Posted: March 13, 2009, 12:23 am - IP Logged

I think 1 billion dollars is too much for one prize. That could easily be split among multiple winners and allow more then one person to be happy. No one needs a billion dollars.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19830 Posts
                    Posted: March 13, 2009, 12:48 am - IP Logged

I dont understand their way of thinking,why in the world dont they split that money up more so everyone gets a chance to win a little something.I dont understand any of the lotteries ways.It would give us all a chance to win a little minstead of nothing at all....

A few years back, Ohio thought like that and it almost put Ohio lotteries out of business.  I think it was in the early 90's when the surrounding states still didn't have a lottery and people from Indiana, Pennsylvania and Kentucky would come to Ohio to play the 649 game which had jackpots of $40-$75M at the time.  Someone came up with idea of limiting the amount one ticket could win to $20M, that way as long as the jackpot amount was large all winning tickets would get $20M instead of one getting $75M and next one getting $8M and so on.  People stop playing and the surrounding state got their own game and Ohioans started going to those states to play instead.  Ohio never recovered from that bad idea until they join MegaMillions in 02.  People don't want a Billion dollars jackpot but some won't play for less than a $100M jackpot.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                      Member #2338
                      September 17, 2003
                      2063 Posts
                      Posted: March 13, 2009, 1:19 am - IP Logged

Right off the bat it's not believable. "All prizes will be tax free ...." That right there says as much. Considering the talk of taxing health benefits I doubt anyone is going to have any taxes cut including and especially those who win the lottery.

United States
                        Member #1826
                        July 11, 2003
                        2645 Posts
                        Posted: March 13, 2009, 1:20 am - IP Logged

I don't like the idea of being forced to put in $10 into a lottery, and I don't like the idea of only 506 winners out of what appears to be possible 400,000,000 (I don't think there are even that many SSNs out there). A national lottery in the U.S. might work someday, it would give state lotteries some true competition and get them to step up their game, and it would help pay off this debt, but I would be against this precise proposal. Just my two cents.

(insert signature here)

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                          adelaide sa
                          Australia
                          Member #37136
                          April 11, 2006
                          3300 Posts
                          Posted: March 13, 2009, 6:56 am - IP Logged

im not in usa, but the plan does appeal to me. but cutting hte payments down a lot. if it was tax free then $2M a person should be ample.

just sign my 2c worth

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7314 Posts
                            Posted: March 13, 2009, 8:12 am - IP Logged

What if George Bush was the grand prize winner?

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                              Gurnee, Illinois
                              United States
                              Member #49731
                              February 12, 2007
                              917 Posts
                              Posted: March 13, 2009, 8:47 am - IP Logged

Well in a sense Obama is already doing something like this...with his healthcare for all initiative.  Some sick smucks will end up using it alot, thereby "winning" the billion dollar prize medical care.  Others will use less, but still in the milliion dollar range (can anyone say Nadia Schulumann or however which way you spell the woman who had the octupulets but couldn't afford to pay for the medical care she received?!!!).  Still many more others will use in the thousand range while a lot of others will hardly use it at all.  But we will all end up paying for it through higher taxes.

I just hope the damage this new president does is reversible after the next 4 years.  And really, can he and his administration QUIT saying that phrase, "The last 8 years...."  It may have sounded good during the election and actually put you over the top, but today is today and you are in office for at least the next 4 years barring any scandal.  So be about change and say something different...something we all can believe in!!!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!