Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 12:05 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

"President Obama today announced plans for a national lottery..."

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 8 years ago by DeeSpence.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #62164
June 19, 2008
1217 Posts
Posted: March 13, 2009, 8:53 am - IP Logged

What if George Bush was the grand prize winner?

What if he was?  Maybe he could pay to get rid of obama?

grengrad's avatar - nw rogue.jpg
    Raleigh
    United States
    Member #49057
    January 17, 2007
    172 Posts
    Posted: March 13, 2009, 9:28 am - IP Logged

For a government lottery, I would like the idea of a tax-filling incentive. Everyone who pays there taxes on time gets entered into a lottery, which is pooled from $200,000,000 of tax-payer money, and pays out 40 lucky winners with $5,000,000 each.

TnTicketlosers's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg

United States
      Member #71120
      February 19, 2009
      1209 Posts
      Posted: March 13, 2009, 9:29 am - IP Logged

Like I said split the money up more,use our s.s.n. to be picked random,United States citizens ONLY....Come in our mail boxes as a surprise,,,that would be awesome..

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
        Member #13130
        March 30, 2005
        2171 Posts
        Posted: March 13, 2009, 9:58 am - IP Logged

1) Ok, so this isn't real.  But it's an idea.  What's yours? Shrink the Gov't to about 5% of its current size.

2) How should a national lottery work? The way it works now. Born in the USA, you win; born in Crapistan, you lose.

3) Should the US be in the business of lotteries as a federal practice? Not just "no", "Hell no".

4) Is it a good idea to help raise additional taxes? See #3.

There is a box on the 1040 where you can check, to donate all the additional money of yours that you believe the gov't is capable of putting to better use than you can.

5) Should it be mandatory or not? NOT!

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
        Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Honduras
          Member #20982
          August 29, 2005
          4715 Posts
          Posted: March 14, 2009, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

I think that 1 billion dollars is good...But it should also have a handful of 100 million dollar winners and 10 million dollars winners and 1 million dollars winners...Either 1 billion or 500 million...I really will like the idea of

1 billion winner

20 50 million dollars winners

20 10 million dollars winners...

300 1 million dollar winners....

and this is every years....

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

Honduras
            Member #20982
            August 29, 2005
            4715 Posts
            Posted: March 14, 2009, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

I think that 1 billion dollars is good...But it should also have a handful of 100 million dollar winners and 10 million dollars winners and 1 million dollars winners...Either 1 billion or 500 million...I really will like the idea of

1 billion winner

20 50 million dollars winners

20 10 million dollars winners...

300 1 million dollar winners....

and this is every years....

How about if we take 20 dollars max for each person at maximum 30 no more than 30...

Then it will be a:

1 billion dollar winner

10 50 million dollars winners

70 10 million dollar winners

800 1 million dollar winners...

and this is done every year...

but it should be tax free....

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

Honduras
              Member #20982
              August 29, 2005
              4715 Posts
              Posted: March 14, 2009, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

How about if we take 20 dollars max for each person at maximum 30 no more than 30...

Then it will be a:

1 billion dollar winner

10 50 million dollars winners

70 10 million dollar winners

800 1 million dollar winners...

and this is done every year...

but it should be tax free....

but it should be researched more because minority people and people that make even more a small minority or obese people will not win any...

if they are going to do this sort of thing i feel they should carefully study who they are going to give it to, it should not be random...It should be a lottery yeah but at the same time they should be careful study who they are going to give it to...

at the same time i feel they should have free lottos but what can i say...

Again it should be researched more...

maybe certain prizes should be given regularly while other should be studied..LIke the 50 million and up is given regularly while the 10 million and 1 million are studied...

Honduras
                Member #20982
                August 29, 2005
                4715 Posts
                Posted: March 14, 2009, 9:33 pm - IP Logged

but it should be researched more because minority people and people that make even more a small minority or obese people will not win any...

if they are going to do this sort of thing i feel they should carefully study who they are going to give it to, it should not be random...It should be a lottery yeah but at the same time they should be careful study who they are going to give it to...

maybe certain prizes should be given regularly while other should be studied..LIke the 50 million and up is given regularly while the 10 million and 1 million are studied...

I am happy because this will mean that out of 800 people awareded with million dollars....400 will be women...

wish it was more....

if they only had free lottos also....Because MegaMillion & Powerball and the National Social Security Lotto will not do it, they need more....

Honduras
                  Member #20982
                  August 29, 2005
                  4715 Posts
                  Posted: March 14, 2009, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

this is my last post on this thread, i think i am going to post it in my blog...

but what about:

1 1billion dollar winner       [every year]

30 50 million dollar winers  [every year]

230 10 million dollar winners [every year]

3,200 1 million dollar winners [every year]

------------------------------------------------

=   8 billion dollars

and 1 billion as tax for the government.....

And all this by taking 30 dollars a year as tax...

What if other countries began doing this...

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7341 Posts
                    Posted: March 14, 2009, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

If the lottery was purely random, we would all still have to overcome odds of around 400 million to 1. But by using your suggestions and deciding who wins, it's not a lottery at all and most of us would have no chance at all. It would just be a donation.

I'd rather just donate the 10 bucks to an organization that benefits many people than donate to one that makes a few people super rich.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                      Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: March 15, 2009, 12:29 am - IP Logged

If you imagine our new president would impose higher taxes on working people to fund a national lottery just to make a few people extremely wealthy, then you must be confused and think the other guy won.  Wink

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                        Yinzer Country, PA
                        United States
                        Member #4067
                        March 18, 2004
                        2741 Posts
                        Posted: March 15, 2009, 12:35 am - IP Logged

We have something like that where we pay the government money a little money each week or two, and get some back eventually.  It's called a tax return.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

TnTicketlosers's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg

United States
                          Member #71120
                          February 19, 2009
                          1209 Posts
                          Posted: March 15, 2009, 1:30 am - IP Logged

take all that money and return it into 100 thousand dollar winners.Let everyone get a chance of reducing their debt.

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3502 Posts
                            Posted: March 15, 2009, 10:52 am - IP Logged

"The American National Lottery will work as follows: Each resident and citizen of the U.S. will have an increased tax burden of $10 per year, which will raise an estimated $3 billion dollars of total prize money. 

Social security numbers will be randomly drawn at the end of each year, and here's how that $3 billion breaks down:

GRAND PRIZE: $1 billion to be awarded to one lucky winner each year. 

SECOND PRIZE: $100 million dollars each to FIVE second place winners. 

RUNNERS UP: $1 million dollars to FIVE HUNDRED runners up. 

This will leave approximately $1 billion dollars in additional tax revenue for the federal government.  All prizes will be tax free as they were generated through tax dollars to begin with."

Ok, so this isn't real.  But it's an idea.  What's yours?  How should a national lottery work?  Should the US be in the business of lotteries as a federal practice?  Is it a good idea to help raise additional taxes?  Should it be mandatory or not?

You can't be serious. A mandatory lottery? A mandatory lottery where 1/3 of the gross goes to only one winner? A mandatory lottery where 1/3 of the gross goes to one winner who might be 3 years old? Did you actually give this any thought at all?

Under the current arrangement the federal government already collects over $1 billion per year from the state lotteries. If there were to be a national lottery it it would be designed to raise money for the government. Making a few winners rich is merely a necessary inconvenience, and I'm confident that we'll never see a lottery that's designed to offer individual prizes of more than a few hundred million on anything other than the rare occasions where it rolls over for more than a dozen drawings.

susie545's avatar - Lottery-034.jpg
                              Lux
                              United States
                              Member #67800
                              December 5, 2008
                              156 Posts
                              Posted: March 15, 2009, 11:03 am - IP Logged

Right off the bat it's not believable. "All prizes will be tax free ...." That right there says as much. Considering the talk of taxing health benefits I doubt anyone is going to have any taxes cut including and especially those who win the lottery.

a lie from hell atleast for the one SmileSmile

who is oprahSun Smiley