Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

man and woman who approached me with million dollar scratchoff

Topic closed. 59 replies. Last post 7 years ago by BOB-TUNNELTON.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
Member #4121
March 23, 2004
817 Posts
Posted: June 30, 2009, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

hell no to who? a cop who did his job? by helping someone who won the lotto not get scammed.

OIC,  I didn't know.

I guess the couple wanted help from a person they could trust.

Anyway, don't worry about it.   A good deed is always rewarded. 

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
    Member #4121
    March 23, 2004
    817 Posts
    Posted: June 30, 2009, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

I would never go back to the store again if I won a major jackpot.  Odds are against you that another big ticket will be there.  Also another problem is being followed home.  lol 

xandercage's avatar - eye storm.jpg
      texas
      United States
      Member #72549
      March 21, 2009
      141 Posts
      Posted: June 30, 2009, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

I didn't want anything but a thank you. The point is where have the values in this country gone, thats my point, nothing more.

United States
        Member #75358
        June 1, 2009
        5345 Posts
        Posted: June 30, 2009, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

Previously I posted a thread about an encounter I had with an older man and woman who flagged me down wanting advice and assistance. They had just won a million on the 500,000,000 blockbuster ticket and had no idea about what to do next. They showed me the ticket, in which I verified that it was a winner. Today they saw me in the store and did not acknowledge with even a hello or a thank you. Just thought this was interesting. Is this what winning a lotto jack pot does to some people?

Did they thank you in the initial contact the day before when you verified that the ticket was a winner?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19831 Posts
          Posted: June 30, 2009, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

OIC,  I didn't know.

I guess the couple wanted help from a person they could trust.

Anyway, don't worry about it.   A good deed is always rewarded. 

I always thought the chance to do a good deed  and doing it was the reward.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
            Chicago
            United States
            Member #70678
            February 8, 2009
            889 Posts
            Posted: June 30, 2009, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

yes in uniform at same place as before and nearly same time as before

I was gonna ask if you were in uniform. It's possible that the first time they saw you.......they were so excited and/or nervous that maybe they weren't really paying attention to you. Reminds me of the times I've been nervous when someone introduces themself to me and then at a later time I can't remember their name.

And it's very possible like someone mentioned that maybe they were afraid you might want some kind of reward for helping them. Hard to say how they would react if the next time you see them.........you give them a friendly hello and a conrats again on their ticket.

I also believe something good will come your way and probably when you least expect it!

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
              Member #47420
              November 4, 2006
              3930 Posts
              Posted: June 30, 2009, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

Why would anyone ask someone they don't know if a ticket is good?..Sign the back with your name and address hand it to the clerk and let him see on the machine if it's good..Problem solved..No wonder people lose when they win!!.....

Raven62's avatar - binary
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                49835 Posts
                Posted: June 30, 2009, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

Previously I posted a thread about an encounter I had with an older man and woman who flagged me down wanting advice and assistance. They had just won a million on the 500,000,000 blockbuster ticket and had no idea about what to do next. They showed me the ticket, in which I verified that it was a winner. Today they saw me in the store and did not acknowledge with even a hello or a thank you. Just thought this was interesting. Is this what winning a lotto jack pot does to some people?

Some People may not have seen the other Thread: It's Helpful to Everyone if You include a link to the other Thread:

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/194259/1309184

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19831 Posts
                  Posted: July 1, 2009, 11:39 am - IP Logged

I didn't want anything but a thank you. The point is where have the values in this country gone, thats my point, nothing more.

Maybe they didn't know that was all you wanted, once they sensed you wanted something they probably thought it was best to just avoid you.  I think it's normal to want to avoid having a conversation with a strangers about a large sum of money you have just received if you have no plans to share it.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
                    ORLANDO, FLORIDA
                    United States
                    Member #4924
                    June 3, 2004
                    5913 Posts
                    Posted: July 1, 2009, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

Just be satisfied knowing you did the right thing. Maybe they were so excited over the ticket, they just don't remember you. You could test them, the next time you see them.

charmed7's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
                      MICHIGAN
                      United States
                      Member #65282
                      September 22, 2008
                      1992 Posts
                      Posted: July 1, 2009, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

Who knows whats on folks mind, these days.  So many scams goin on

but the point is that u did the right thing at the right time, doesn't matter

what type of uniform u were in. I'm sure u will b rewarded accordingly, so

don't worry about it. It's always a good thing to run into GOOD people, so

FEEL good about doin the right thing. Policeman

United States
                        Member #63763
                        August 7, 2008
                        40 Posts
                        Posted: July 1, 2009, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

As I recall, before you said it was just an old man,
                        but now you've detailed that it was actually a couple
                        that requested your help.  Anyway, I know where you're
                        coming from, the feeling that is.  But it also seems like
                        you feel entitled to something.  Hence your griping.
                        You did what you were supposed to do.  I wouldn't want
                        a empty-sounding word of thanks from them anyway.

DelmarvaChick's avatar - wallace
                          Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #68398
                          December 20, 2008
                          81 Posts
                          Posted: July 1, 2009, 5:01 pm - IP Logged

Who knows whats on folks mind, these days.  So many scams goin on

but the point is that u did the right thing at the right time, doesn't matter

what type of uniform u were in. I'm sure u will b rewarded accordingly, so

don't worry about it. It's always a good thing to run into GOOD people, so

FEEL good about doin the right thing. Policeman

Someone tried to scam me this morning while I was checking my email.  The email was from a "Sgt" serving in Iraq. He had found a large sum of money and wanted me to give him all my details.  He told me to keep 30% and save the other 70% for him when he returned from his duty. Unbelieveable.

But honestly Xander...it's not that big of a deal. I know it sucks to hear that, but people are going to be who they are right or wrong, rude behavior and all or lack thereof. Maybe they thought it was your job to guide them in the right direction because you are a police officer...because of that reason maybe they didnt feel the need to say thank-you. I'm not saying it's right...just putting an idea out there.

From my observations...police work can be an extremely thankless job. The people you protect/help one day will be the same people that give you a hard time and make it impossible for you to do your job the next. Don't let it change your view of things because of a few bad experiences. Don't expect people to express their recognition of your good deeds. Just know that you had a sense of purpose to help them and you acheived your goal when you sent them on their way in the right direction.

xandercage's avatar - eye storm.jpg
                            texas
                            United States
                            Member #72549
                            March 21, 2009
                            141 Posts
                            Posted: July 1, 2009, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

With the negative replies, it's no wonder people are the way they are. Bitter and gun clinging, like Obama said lol. One of the reasons I became a cop was to change some of the publics view about police, that I could. I rarely give tickets, and 9 out of 10 get warnings. As far Rjoh, I know the joy and reward for helping and doing the right thing. I've rarely seen you post anything or reply anything positive toward the postee or post for that matter. Use all your negative effort into somthing positive and maybe you'll see a reward. I see that you have been a member of the site for some time, in which I would like to think that you would market for more post members, instead I see the opposite. As far everyone else, have a good weekend.

HiFi's avatar - police

United States
                              Member #3792
                              February 21, 2004
                              198 Posts
                              Posted: July 1, 2009, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

they won a million dollars and they're still buying more tickets?  nice dog