Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

man and woman who approached me with million dollar scratchoff

Topic closed. 59 replies. Last post 7 years ago by BOB-TUNNELTON.

Page 4 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19830 Posts
Posted: July 8, 2009, 11:41 am - IP Logged

Back in CA I worked with a lady who used to tell me that she prayed for me to win the lottery sooo......if I won I had to buy her a new pick up truck! SAY WHAT????

"Human nature and greed" LOL and the fact we live in a material world doesn't help.

You could have told her you considered any obligation paid when you prayed for her to win too.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
    Chicago
    United States
    Member #70678
    February 8, 2009
    889 Posts
    Posted: July 8, 2009, 9:23 pm - IP Logged

You could have told her you considered any obligation paid when you prayed for her to win too.

LOL why didn't I think of that?

Anya826's avatar - Alice
      Norfolk, va
      United States
      Member #75194
      May 28, 2009
      2 Posts
      Posted: July 8, 2009, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

Yep,sounds like they are ignoring you.Maybe they figured you were going to ask for a handout.

All cops look alike to me.  What is it that you expect from those people?  Do you want to be on the news and be recognized for confirming that they had a winning ticket?  It sounds  to me as if you were expecting something.  If it was me who had won, and I flagged down a cop to confirm the win, what are the odds that I would remember the cop?  I mean really!  You also stated that they were an old couple.  Give it a break already, Get over it!

United States
        Member #119
        February 19, 2002
        527 Posts
        Posted: July 8, 2009, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

Previously I posted a thread about an encounter I had with an older man and woman who flagged me down wanting advice and assistance. They had just won a million on the 500,000,000 blockbuster ticket and had no idea about what to do next. They showed me the ticket, in which I verified that it was a winner. Today they saw me in the store and did not acknowledge with even a hello or a thank you. Just thought this was interesting. Is this what winning a lotto jack pot does to some people?

You did a wonderful thing, sir, and that's because you were (and still are) a good person with good values and something sorely lacking in this world-- ethics.

To me, a sincere and genuine or heartfelt thank you is worth more than a million bucks (yes, you read that correctly, readers of LP).  

Sadly, ingratitude is rampant and many actions done kindly for others-- from minor to major--  are not acknowledged.  The failure to acknowledge another human being who has extended her or himself, in however small a way, is one example of "missing the mark" or of being much less than whole.

Sometimes I have been "guilty" of saying you're welcome when I have held the door or did something else for someone who chose to either take it for granted or chose to ignore me and remained silent.  I am not looking for a reward of any kind, just a simple courteous acknowledgment.  Something is wrong when we can not acknowledge each other or when we take anything (or anyone) for granted.

Let me close with two things.  

First, to all those here at LP who have corresponded with me over the years or who have offered tips, suggestions, and encouragement in posts, I thank you!

Second, a quote from a sermon given by the late poet, theologian, missionary, playwright, and medical doctor-- Albert Schweitzer: "That for which we give thanks blesses us ever the more when we give thanks for it."

United States
          Member #75358
          June 1, 2009
          5345 Posts
          Posted: July 9, 2009, 12:26 am - IP Logged

No they didn't thank me. This has been taken out of context entirely. My only point was that lottery can change a person for the worst. I get the true reward by serving Christ. God bless all who are bitter.

I only asked a simple question. And I'm not bitter.

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder. You present an event on a forum and expect everyone to just nod their head in agreement?

Some folks like to know a little more info about the limited scenario you wrote here. One of them was me. And you answered my question. Why get all huffy about someone asking a question? So because a few folks asked some questions and commented with slightly different views on this doesn't mean it's been taken out of context.

I could fill 10 different threads and hundreds of pages within those 10 threads about the many many times I've encountered very rude people in my life. I could write a book.!         Bang Head

Most certainly, this couple wasn't the first to be rude to you, and most likely won't be the last in your lifetime.

One can't imagine the ilk of some of the miserable losers you must encounter on a weekly basis, being a cop and all.

I actually thought that this incident with the lottery couple would have been a cake walk in comparison...lol..............ROFL

Chicago
            United States
            Member #70678
            February 8, 2009
            889 Posts
            Posted: July 9, 2009, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

No they didn't thank me. This has been taken out of context entirely. My only point was that lottery can change a person for the worst. I get the true reward by serving Christ. God bless all who are bitter.

xandercage I just wanted to say NEVER once in this thread or the original thread did I get the impression that you were asking for or expecting anything. Simply making a comment!

Many times I have made comments just to start a conversation......and then people will say "how come your always complaining?" To me there's a BIG difference.

I think it's sad  they didn't thank you.

Chicago
              United States
              Member #70678
              February 8, 2009
              889 Posts
              Posted: July 9, 2009, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

You did a wonderful thing, sir, and that's because you were (and still are) a good person with good values and something sorely lacking in this world-- ethics.

To me, a sincere and genuine or heartfelt thank you is worth more than a million bucks (yes, you read that correctly, readers of LP).  

Sadly, ingratitude is rampant and many actions done kindly for others-- from minor to major--  are not acknowledged.  The failure to acknowledge another human being who has extended her or himself, in however small a way, is one example of "missing the mark" or of being much less than whole.

Sometimes I have been "guilty" of saying you're welcome when I have held the door or did something else for someone who chose to either take it for granted or chose to ignore me and remained silent.  I am not looking for a reward of any kind, just a simple courteous acknowledgment.  Something is wrong when we can not acknowledge each other or when we take anything (or anyone) for granted.

Let me close with two things.  

First, to all those here at LP who have corresponded with me over the years or who have offered tips, suggestions, and encouragement in posts, I thank you!

Second, a quote from a sermon given by the late poet, theologian, missionary, playwright, and medical doctor-- Albert Schweitzer: "That for which we give thanks blesses us ever the more when we give thanks for it."

"To me, a sincere and genuine or heartfelt thank you is worth more than a million bucks (yes, you read that correctly, readers of LP)."  This is so true!!!!!!!

Sorry to get off topic but.....

A few years ago while doing my job a lady was walking up and down the street shaking a box of cat food and calling out her cats name. She described her cat to me and asked if I had seen it. The next day flyers went up all over the neighborhood. About a week later I saw a cat and called the lady. By the time she got there the cat was gone.(It wasn't her cat) I felt so bad I told her I would keep my eye out for her cat. A month later I found her cat, LOL grabbed it, tore a flyer off the light post and called her. She didn't answer her phone so I called the other number listed. Her sister answered and was around the corner not too far from where I was so I took the cat to her. That night I had a message from the owner thanking me and the feeling it gave me was unbelievable! It felt really good to be able to do something for another person even though I didn't know her.

Xandercage could have blew the couple off and told them to go ask the store clerk! LOL this would have been the easy out for most people.

I believe in karma......xandercage good things will come your way. I'm waiting to see your new post when you hit 5 of 5 : )

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19830 Posts
                Posted: July 16, 2009, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

"To me, a sincere and genuine or heartfelt thank you is worth more than a million bucks (yes, you read that correctly, readers of LP)."  This is so true!!!!!!!

Sorry to get off topic but.....

A few years ago while doing my job a lady was walking up and down the street shaking a box of cat food and calling out her cats name. She described her cat to me and asked if I had seen it. The next day flyers went up all over the neighborhood. About a week later I saw a cat and called the lady. By the time she got there the cat was gone.(It wasn't her cat) I felt so bad I told her I would keep my eye out for her cat. A month later I found her cat, LOL grabbed it, tore a flyer off the light post and called her. She didn't answer her phone so I called the other number listed. Her sister answered and was around the corner not too far from where I was so I took the cat to her. That night I had a message from the owner thanking me and the feeling it gave me was unbelievable! It felt really good to be able to do something for another person even though I didn't know her.

Xandercage could have blew the couple off and told them to go ask the store clerk! LOL this would have been the easy out for most people.

I believe in karma......xandercage good things will come your way. I'm waiting to see your new post when you hit 5 of 5 : )

I'm going to remember that if I ever win a nice size lottery prize and the clerk looks at me after I cash in my ticket as if a tip is expected.  I'm going to say "For you I have something worthed even more than this prize, you have my sincere and genuine heartfelt 'Thanks' " and be on my way.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

xandercage's avatar - eye storm.jpg
                  texas
                  United States
                  Member #72549
                  March 21, 2009
                  141 Posts
                  Posted: July 17, 2009, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

ca-dreamin, I guess were one of the few that have lives away from the internet. oh yeah, i went to vegas last week and predicted 5 out of 15 numbers drawn on the roulette table. i also won 500 on the bonus ball slots. i never gamble...maybe luck or maybe its the cage theory lol.

xandercage's avatar - eye storm.jpg
                    texas
                    United States
                    Member #72549
                    March 21, 2009
                    141 Posts
                    Posted: July 17, 2009, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

I will give benefit of the doubt to those who may thought I was complaining and that I needed to get over it...give me a break anya! Maybe this site could start a program where the posters can post topics by audio, so that they can perceive the message in the means of how it is said, instead of what it is said.LOL

United States
                      Member #75358
                      June 1, 2009
                      5345 Posts
                      Posted: July 18, 2009, 12:26 am - IP Logged

I will give benefit of the doubt to those who may thought I was complaining and that I needed to get over it...give me a break anya! Maybe this site could start a program where the posters can post topics by audio, so that they can perceive the message in the means of how it is said, instead of what it is said.LOL

No breaks here pal. You better say what you really mean or else.....  ROFL

Wink

Chicago
                        United States
                        Member #70678
                        February 8, 2009
                        889 Posts
                        Posted: July 19, 2009, 9:05 pm - IP Logged

I'm going to remember that if I ever win a nice size lottery prize and the clerk looks at me after I cash in my ticket as if a tip is expected.  I'm going to say "For you I have something worthed even more than this prize, you have my sincere and genuine heartfelt 'Thanks' " and be on my way.

HAHAHA!!!! LOL! I can't wait to read your story here as you describe the look on the clerks face!!!!! : )

Chicago
                          United States
                          Member #70678
                          February 8, 2009
                          889 Posts
                          Posted: July 19, 2009, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

ca-dreamin, I guess were one of the few that have lives away from the internet. oh yeah, i went to vegas last week and predicted 5 out of 15 numbers drawn on the roulette table. i also won 500 on the bonus ball slots. i never gamble...maybe luck or maybe its the cage theory lol.

LOL yeah because my son lives on the PC! That and years ago I lived in 2 chat rooms and grrrr now I live in Chicago. (HAHAHA I stay away from chat now)    congrats on your vegas win!

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                            Member #4877
                            May 30, 2004
                            5123 Posts
                            Posted: July 20, 2009, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

500,000,000 blockbuster is about what OBAMA spend's in an HOUR>>>$$$$$

OBAMA saw me NOV 2008>>>>>>and 2 this date>>>>>not achnolledge pu me

EXIST>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>but LOL>>>>>>>>win the BIG JACKPOT S@@N!!!!!!!!!!!!

PSYKOMO

PHILADELPHIA, PA
                              United States
                              Member #78600
                              August 17, 2009
                              3 Posts
                              Posted: August 19, 2009, 4:39 am - IP Logged

I feel they should have said hello and thanked you again and gave you twenty five instant lottery tickets, bob