Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 1:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would You Spend $20 On A Raffle Ticket?

Topic closed. 62 replies. Last post 7 years ago by recoveryroad.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

Given the opportunity would you buy a $20 Raffle ticket?

Yes, one [ 30 ]  [29.70%]
Yes, maybe two [ 16 ]  [15.84%]
Yes, multiple tickets [ 30 ]  [29.70%]
No [ 25 ]  [24.75%]
Total Valid Votes [ 101 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: November 21, 2009, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

I'm leaving for Florida tomorrow and I plan on buying a couple of their Raffle tickets while I'm there.

I know we've discussed this in a way but I wanted to get an idea on what the majority of players do given the opportunity.

Thanks

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
    Member #14
    November 9, 2001
    31356 Posts
    Posted: November 21, 2009, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

Yes - I did in Ga. and won $500.

love to nibble those micey feet.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
      A long and winding road
      United States
      Member #17084
      June 10, 2005
      4528 Posts
      Posted: November 21, 2009, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

yes indeedy and win win sweety!

The only draw back is the fact its more about timing then it is about opportunity. I can be one of 500 opportunities but if I am not at the right store at the right time, it changes the odds immensely, since its a generated numbered ticket .

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Honduras
        Member #20982
        August 29, 2005
        4715 Posts
        Posted: November 21, 2009, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

My answer would be NO...

If i am going to spend $20 on a raffle may as well play bingo instead and i got better odds with bingo....

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
          CA
          United States
          Member #57222
          December 23, 2007
          587 Posts
          Posted: November 21, 2009, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

My answer would be NO...

If i am going to spend $20 on a raffle may as well play bingo instead and i got better odds with bingo....

I'm with you,

There's no way I would spend $20 on a California raffle ticket.  I noticed how alot of the other states have the large tickets  with cool jackpots like  win for life and half a million dollars and such with pretty decent odds.  California seems to find more ways to sell a prettier ticket that will generate more money for them but not the players with better odds.  I have purchased the $5 raffle ticket in the past but never again.

South Florida
            United States
            Member #82132
            November 6, 2009
            112 Posts
            Posted: November 21, 2009, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

For Florida, the question is whether or not you think you can acquire one of the 2,034 winning tickets out of the million. From a statistical point of view, it sounds terrible to me no matter how you look at it...there's no way you can perform any type of analysis on a random raffle drawing since you can't really pick which number out of a million you'll get, and what the historical frequences are for each number being drawn out of a million in that raffle. Even if you somehow managed to buy your ticket from a store that ends up selling a winning raffle ticket, you won't be able to figure out which ticket is going to be the winner at that store...just like the scratch offs.

Really the only reason why I bought tickets was just to confirm how bad my luck has been lately...and it wouldn't be the first time I've pissed away 20 or more dollars.

Honduras
              Member #20982
              August 29, 2005
              4715 Posts
              Posted: November 21, 2009, 9:33 pm - IP Logged

If i was going to waste $20 i'll do the following: [not in matter of importance]

A. Buy me more copies of Mario Kart video game cassette or other old video games buy me multiple copies buy as much as i can so they last me a lifetime same thing with the console save the $20 until i get an extra $20 more and buy me more nintendo 64 consoles and controls as much as i can so they last me a lifetime...And some more to give away to friends, relatives, etc...

B. Renew my membership at a lotto prediction website...

C. Renew my membership to Scientific American or Science News or Reader's Digest, or Science or "MATH NEWS MAGAZINE" if such a thing exist...

D. Buy me more science, math or statistics/probability textbooks or english grammar textbooks used ones of course cheap ones and be stacking them up collecting them...

E. Save the $20 until i collect a lot of $20 that i want to throw away and that way buy many stationary bicycle for relatives, friends, and bench press and other machines that work out your abs...A stationary exercise bike cost like: $79 dollars or $120...

D. buy to collect novels science fiction novels specially old ones in English...

E. Send to make polo shirts with the particular name that the person i am giving it to desire and give them away free...

D. donate it to an organization that will make sure more math & science is thaught in poor countries or donate it to an organization that will pick up as much donations until they get $100,000 or $120,000 then placed in the bank at: 5% and is given to a fortunate person as a job in science and that that person work out a lot also as part of their job and get paid: $500 a month or that it pays a monthly mortgage to give it to someone as a house...That to me is giving birth to a kid sorry to say it...or an organization that will work on a typing competition for kids in a foreign country...

E. Donate to an organization that is going to be in charge of creating technologies that will help us cross the stars, help the environment or work on technologies to make us advanced, cure deserts, make diseases research, bring peace, fight corruption, etc...

There is a lot of stuff i'll do if i had an extra $20 to waste every weekend or every month....

dont worry i still got to worry about how to pay my own house...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                PA
                United States
                Member #22983
                October 6, 2005
                2226 Posts
                Posted: November 21, 2009, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

Yeah I have gotten 1-2 each time they had the drawing and did not win crap. The new one is out now and I might get one. Hopefully I can finally win it so it was all worth it. I have been within one number for like $1,000, and 100 or so from the million. Eventually it will click.

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                  Charlotte NC
                  United States
                  Member #17406
                  June 18, 2005
                  4053 Posts
                  Posted: November 21, 2009, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

I usually don't do jackpot style games but i like raffles.  I feel like I have a chance.  NC had one for the holidays a few years ago.  They didn't last year.  Hope it comes back.

takeemtothebank

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                    Idaho
                    United States
                    Member #56506
                    November 21, 2007
                    6537 Posts
                    Posted: November 22, 2009, 12:37 am - IP Logged

I would have to say no or probably not. I think my limit is $10 bucks for one ticket. We have a raffle going on here right now, and for the past couple of years, I have gotten some tickets, but I don't think I am going to purchase any this year. Twenty dollars, just seems too high of price for a ticket.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Nino224's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
                      Miami
                      United States
                      Member #62793
                      July 9, 2008
                      673 Posts
                      Posted: November 22, 2009, 2:30 am - IP Logged

I'm leaving for Florida tomorrow and I plan on buying a couple of their Raffle tickets while I'm there.

I know we've discussed this in a way but I wanted to get an idea on what the majority of players do given the opportunity.

Thanks

I always get at least one, usually more. 

Yeah, the odds suck but the fact of the matter is every time they do one of these there are multiple instant new millionaires. And there's something about becoming a millionaire on New Year's eve that I really like. It could be you this time, or it could be me. Hey, it could be both of us!

Good luck.

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
                        Dallas, TX
                        United States
                        Member #60284
                        April 12, 2008
                        3856 Posts
                        Posted: November 22, 2009, 9:01 am - IP Logged

Yes, if TX decide to have raffle.

Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
                          Illinois
                          United States
                          Member #82001
                          November 3, 2009
                          890 Posts
                          Posted: November 22, 2009, 10:14 am - IP Logged

YES INDEED! Of all the games offered, it is still the best odds of winning a million.

GOOD LUCK AND HOPE YOU WIN

megamillionaire's avatar - Sphere animated_small_ neg2.gif
                            Queens, NY
                            United States
                            Member #245
                            April 15, 2002
                            451 Posts
                            Posted: November 22, 2009, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

Yes, depending on the reason for the raffle and if I wanted to win the prize. I have on occaisions given money to a cause without participating in their raffle if the cause is good and I don't like or need the prize.

Megamillionaire

Time is a wonderful teacher, but it kills all its students.

A man must consider what a rich realm he leaves when he becomes a conformist.

Wheeler's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
                              Pittsburg, Ks
                              United States
                              Member #3382
                              January 17, 2004
                              80933 Posts
                              Posted: November 22, 2009, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

Kansas started their raffle about Oct 18th I think and only printed 150,000 raffle tickets and I haven't bought one yet at $20 but when I looked the other day there were only 20.000 tickets left probably less now. The winner of the $1Million and $500,000 have to go to Kansas Lottery HQ in Topeka. also there are some $500 prizes. BTW I voted yes

God Bless America

US Flag