Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would You Spend $20 On A Raffle Ticket?

Topic closed. 62 replies. Last post 7 years ago by recoveryroad.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

Given the opportunity would you buy a $20 Raffle ticket?

Yes, one [ 30 ]  [29.70%]
Yes, maybe two [ 16 ]  [15.84%]
Yes, multiple tickets [ 30 ]  [29.70%]
No [ 25 ]  [24.75%]
Total Valid Votes [ 101 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
Harve$t Moon's avatar - 5str

United States
Member #76986
July 10, 2009
8036 Posts
Posted: November 22, 2009, 7:47 pm - IP Logged

In Pennsylvania, there are 500,000 tickets printed for the Millionaire Raffle. It is held twice a year. Here are the prizes:

Top Prize        (4) $1,000,000      Odds 1:125,000

Second Prize    (4) $100,000        Odds 1:125,000

Third Prize       (100) $1000         Odds 1:5000

Fourth Prize     (5892) $100          Odds 1:85

For a total of 6000 prizes ... The pot is $5,089,200 ... Odds 1:83

In the past, I have purchased three $20 tickets for this game. I missed a $100 Prize by 1 number in the last game.

Now, I will buy only one ticket for this game. This one ticket puts me in the game. You have to be in the game to have a chance to win.

I like the Millionaire Raffle, because it limits the number of players to only 500,000 verses several million players in the bigger jackpot games.

PA's gaming odds are not as fair as some other states, but that's another topic.

cheryl59's avatar - center
    Va Beach
    United States
    Member #46651
    September 20, 2006
    1858 Posts
    Posted: November 23, 2009, 8:46 am - IP Logged

Yep, I sure would... would probably buy multiples  "You can't win if you don't play!"

CHERYL59Hippy

01-02-03-04-05

My Ultimate Pet numbers

Harve$t Moon's avatar - 5str

United States
      Member #76986
      July 10, 2009
      8036 Posts
      Posted: November 23, 2009, 11:01 am - IP Logged

In Pennsylvania, there are 500,000 tickets printed for the Millionaire Raffle. It is held twice a year. Here are the prizes:

Top Prize        (4) $1,000,000      Odds 1:125,000

Second Prize    (4) $100,000        Odds 1:125,000

Third Prize       (100) $1000         Odds 1:5000

Fourth Prize     (5892) $100          Odds 1:85

For a total of 6000 prizes ... The pot is $5,089,200 ... Odds 1:83

In the past, I have purchased three $20 tickets for this game. I missed a $100 Prize by 1 number in the last game.

Now, I will buy only one ticket for this game. This one ticket puts me in the game. You have to be in the game to have a chance to win.

I like the Millionaire Raffle, because it limits the number of players to only 500,000 verses several million players in the bigger jackpot games.

PA's gaming odds are not as fair as some other states, but that's another topic.

I would like to clarify a point that I made about being 1 number off from winning a $100 prize. I should have written, "if I had bought the very next ticket, I would have won that $100 prize in that game."  It was that next ticket in sequence that won (which was 1 number off). In any event, I did not win that one. Just want to be more accurate in my statement. Smiley

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
        PA
        United States
        Member #22983
        October 6, 2005
        2226 Posts
        Posted: November 23, 2009, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

Imagine if you were in line and you let another guy go, and he got the raffle ticket. Then you got one immediately and saw his number was 99 and you were 100, then 99 won the million. Think he would reward you for your kind gesture? LOL Doubtful. I got mine today plus 5 free bonus tickets, same as last year. "Lucky Bucks" in which I was shocked that I won a $1.00 out of 5 tickets.

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8364 Posts
          Posted: November 24, 2009, 1:17 am - IP Logged

I would like to clarify a point that I made about being 1 number off from winning a $100 prize. I should have written, "if I had bought the very next ticket, I would have won that $100 prize in that game."  It was that next ticket in sequence that won (which was 1 number off). In any event, I did not win that one. Just want to be more accurate in my statement. Smiley

The very next ticket could have easily been 50 numbers from your last ticket when the machine is printing your tickets other machines are also printing tickets there is a possibility you won't get sequential ticket numbers.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
            South Florida
            United States
            Member #82132
            November 6, 2009
            112 Posts
            Posted: November 27, 2009, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

It doesn't look like too many people are willing to donate $20 to the raffle down here. Out of a million tickets, the Florida raffle has only sold 162,427 of as of this morning. The tickets have been on sale since November 13th (exactly 2 weeks). They're only selling a little over 10,000 tickets a day...though one day I recall they sold closer to 15,000. 

With only 34 days left till the drawing, if the trend continues and sales stay around 10,000 - 15,000 tickets a day, they're only going to end up selling between 500,000 - 700,000 tickets for the raffle. That's assuming there's no sudden surge in ticket purchases next month. If I were them I'd start kicking the advertising up a notch.

hennybogan's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
              McKinney/Texas
              United States
              Member #47363
              November 1, 2006
              706 Posts
              Posted: November 28, 2009, 12:19 am - IP Logged

Yes! It depends on the PRIZE and what it could mean for you personally. I just spent $100

on a raffle ticket that benefits THE FIRST TEE, and is 100% tax deductable. If I had won,

three of my closest golfing buddies and I would have flown to Pebble Beach, where we would have stayed for two or three nights and played three rounds of golf.

No guts no glory.

Ephesians 3:20

Nino224's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
                Miami
                United States
                Member #62793
                July 9, 2008
                673 Posts
                Posted: November 28, 2009, 1:58 am - IP Logged

It doesn't look like too many people are willing to donate $20 to the raffle down here. Out of a million tickets, the Florida raffle has only sold 162,427 of as of this morning. The tickets have been on sale since November 13th (exactly 2 weeks). They're only selling a little over 10,000 tickets a day...though one day I recall they sold closer to 15,000. 

With only 34 days left till the drawing, if the trend continues and sales stay around 10,000 - 15,000 tickets a day, they're only going to end up selling between 500,000 - 700,000 tickets for the raffle. That's assuming there's no sudden surge in ticket purchases next month. If I were them I'd start kicking the advertising up a notch.

That's how the last couple of raffles started out and then they rallied at the end.

I cut out scratch-offs for a while and putting the money towards the raffle. I reeaally like the idea of starting out the year with $650K in my pocket.

If I win, I'll be calling my boss at the strike of midnight and telling him to kiss my arse!!

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: November 30, 2009, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

I think it's slowly picking up in sales, recoveryroad. I just got back from Fla. tonight. I bought one on the 23rd in Jacksonville and another one in Plantation on the 29th and the numbers were 90,937 apart so that's about 12,991 a day for the week. I think a lot of people like to buy the middle numbers so they're waiting and a lot are hemming and hawing about whether they want to get in or not. I'll bet it picks up real fast in December, especially towards the end of the month.

I also got a 52 draw QP on your Lotto, 30 draw QP on Fantasy5 and 30 draw QP on Mega Money. I hope I'm luckier there than I am in Tennessee. I couldn't do worse, that's for sure. LOL

Good luck to you.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                    Member #47420
                    November 4, 2006
                    3930 Posts
                    Posted: December 1, 2009, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

Hope you the best of luck rdgrnr..I use to live in Florida and played it from the first day it started till 1993 sometime after I moved out..It's no different then any other state but maybe you will win there and make some seniors mad..Let's hope you do..:):)

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
                      Northern Virginia
                      United States
                      Member #83350
                      December 5, 2009
                      1317 Posts
                      Posted: December 5, 2009, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

Not for myself. I would do this only for someone else. I bought a raffle ticket for my sister for her 18th birthday two weeks ago. I also bought one for another friend two years ago, and asked Mom to get me one for Christmas. I didn't win anything, and neither did my friend.

NH
                        United States
                        Member #83352
                        December 5, 2009
                        223 Posts
                        Posted: December 5, 2009, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

Depending on the raffle I may...Some raffles don't offer a cash option and for the most part I would probably stay away from those types...

Miami
                          United States
                          Member #62793
                          July 9, 2008
                          673 Posts
                          Posted: December 6, 2009, 1:54 am - IP Logged

About 25 days in, and they've sold less than 300K tix. The first time they did this they sold out in 11 days.

The fewer sold, the better our chances.

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: December 6, 2009, 2:27 am - IP Logged

About 25 days in, and they've sold less than 300K tix. The first time they did this they sold out in 11 days.

The fewer sold, the better our chances.

Nino, but will they still have the drawing on the scheduled date if all the tickets don't sell? And if so, will they still award all the prizes?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Miami
                              United States
                              Member #62793
                              July 9, 2008
                              673 Posts
                              Posted: December 6, 2009, 2:49 am - IP Logged

Nino, but will they still have the drawing on the scheduled date if all the tickets don't sell? And if so, will they still award all the prizes?

The drawing is on new year's Eve regardless of whether all the tix sell, yes.