Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would You Spend $20 On A Raffle Ticket?

Topic closed. 62 replies. Last post 7 years ago by recoveryroad.

Page 4 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

Given the opportunity would you buy a $20 Raffle ticket?

Yes, one [ 30 ]  [29.70%]
Yes, maybe two [ 16 ]  [15.84%]
Yes, multiple tickets [ 30 ]  [29.70%]
No [ 25 ]  [24.75%]
Total Valid Votes [ 101 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
Laurel, MD
United States
Member #48488
December 29, 2006
22 Posts
Posted: December 13, 2009, 10:45 am - IP Logged

I live in Maryland but work in Virginia and actually commute through DC (long story), so I sometimes buy tickets from VA and rarely from DC.  I have bought four VA Raffle tickets so far and agree that sales are very slow.  They will pick up, but this could be the year they extend the deadline and drawing as they indicate they can. 

My feeling is that you get a decent chance to win something and probably the best odds possible to win a million.  Granted I have been zero for the last several raffles held (DC and MD have stopped having them), but who knows?  That being said, to save money and buy these I have halted my scratcher buys till 2010.   I don't blame folks for passing these raffles by, but if you have the $20 it might be worth a shot.

Anyone know if MD has any plans to ever do a raffle again?  Thanks!

Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
    Illinois
    United States
    Member #82001
    November 3, 2009
    890 Posts
    Posted: December 14, 2009, 1:07 am - IP Logged

Guess Get it while the getting is good! I will be making a road trip to MI over the holidays to pick up some raffle tickets. Despite the high costs, it is still the best shot at a mil. Totally blow pricey scratchers away in terms of best odds. I am hoping for a great new year Smile

Grand Rapids, MI
      United States
      Member #82929
      November 24, 2009
      1 Posts
      Posted: December 15, 2009, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

Actually I'm saving up for one right now.  (The Michigan Millionaire Raffle)  I budget myself.  I put two dollars into a pringles can every Monday.  It's my savings account in my underwear drawer.  I am going to either do that or buy a twenty dollar scratch-off.  I'm actually leaning towards the scratch-off.

Illinois
        United States
        Member #82001
        November 3, 2009
        890 Posts
        Posted: December 15, 2009, 9:06 pm - IP Logged

Actually I'm saving up for one right now.  (The Michigan Millionaire Raffle)  I budget myself.  I put two dollars into a pringles can every Monday.  It's my savings account in my underwear drawer.  I am going to either do that or buy a twenty dollar scratch-off.  I'm actually leaning towards the scratch-off.

I noticed how generous MI is to their players in the raffle. Most state take 50% of cut but there is a bigger payout to players over there. Probably why there been 14 of them already and about 4 a year. I am really jealous Disapprove

By the way, I would go with the raffle. Better odds and look like they won't see out this year so even way better odds

South Florida
          United States
          Member #82132
          November 6, 2009
          112 Posts
          Posted: December 20, 2009, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

Looks like the Florida raffle may actually come close to selling out now. Either you guys were right about people wanting to get their tickets in the middle, or their little "drive to a district office for a free scratch off" ploy has worked, as there was a surge in buying this week. I tracked the number of remaining tickets somewhat throughout the week, and they managed to sell over 100,000 tickets in 4 days. There are about 400,000 left, and I'm sure that when people find out there are only around 200,000 or less remaining tickets, there will be another surge in buying again. I might buy another ticket for the hell of it this week since it looks like this will sell out now.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23259 Posts
            Posted: December 20, 2009, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

I'm leaving for Florida tomorrow and I plan on buying a couple of their Raffle tickets while I'm there.

I know we've discussed this in a way but I wanted to get an idea on what the majority of players do given the opportunity.

Thanks

Absolutely.  Raffles have the best odds of any game to win $1 million, and I don't play big jackpot games to win the $1 prize.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

mookyb75's avatar - animaniacs41
              nashville nc
              United States
              Member #81934
              November 2, 2009
              657 Posts
              Posted: December 20, 2009, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

i try to buy the ones with the most left winnings i have a better chance playing the ones that many people don't buy they have to most money sitting on them or the ones that are ending if the stores have them usually they have money on them.....

Rainbow 

My mind on my $$$$

South Florida
                United States
                Member #82132
                November 6, 2009
                112 Posts
                Posted: December 24, 2009, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

The Florida raffle has less than 250,000 tickets left as of right now. I am pretty surprised to see this, as only a few weeks ago it seemed like they weren't going to be anywhere close to selling all the tickets. Since I have vowed to put an end to gambling when 2009 is history, I figure I may as well attempt to buy one of the final 100,000 now that this is clearly going to sell out.

LadyMylena's avatar - avatar6 1.jpg
                  Kansas
                  United States
                  Member #83963
                  December 19, 2009
                  347 Posts
                  Posted: December 26, 2009, 12:48 am - IP Logged

The raffle here in KS, has been sold out for awhile. I didn't get any tickets in time, but my dad has 2.

Luck is  ** believing  ** you're lucky.” ~Tennessee Williams

Money is neither my god nor my devil. It is a form of energy that tends to make us more of who we already are, whether it's greedy or loving.  ~ Dan Millman

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: December 26, 2009, 4:40 am - IP Logged

With only a week left to the drawing, Virginia still has over half of it's raffle tickets unsold. That's over 175,000 tickets unsold as of last night.

That's sure gonna make the odds a whole lot better if it stays that way. I just might get a couple more tickets.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

sully16's avatar - sharan
                      Ringleader
                      Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #81740
                      October 28, 2009
                      40285 Posts
                      Posted: December 26, 2009, 5:50 am - IP Logged

yes yes yes i hit on the last 2 mich raffles for 700 dollars both times. now i have some for this one. if i hit the daily three before the next drawing i'll buy some more.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Illinois
                        United States
                        Member #82001
                        November 3, 2009
                        890 Posts
                        Posted: December 26, 2009, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

This is my first time with the MI raffle so hoping for some better luck than in IL. Just curious what would happen if they dont sell out. That looking like a possibility unles there is a last minute rush. Figure they will try to hold off until they at least can pay all winners but don't know what the history is there.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: December 26, 2009, 6:43 pm - IP Logged

This is my first time with the MI raffle so hoping for some better luck than in IL. Just curious what would happen if they dont sell out. That looking like a possibility unles there is a last minute rush. Figure they will try to hold off until they at least can pay all winners but don't know what the history is there.

Michigan's website says their drawing will be on Jan 6th or after.

They have over 230,000 tickets left out of 600,000 so it's probably gonna be after.

They seem to have the best odds of winning a million though at 1 in 100,000.

--Edmund Burke

jacksonville,fl
                            United States
                            Member #83106
                            November 29, 2009
                            1 Posts
                            Posted: December 26, 2009, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

Well I have gotten 8 of those tickets from random store in diffrent cities in florida and I will WIN...........

Wink

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: December 26, 2009, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

Well I have gotten 8 of those tickets from random store in diffrent cities in florida and I will WIN...........

Wink

Good luck to you on those Fla tickets jadanbj.  Thumbs Up

I picked up a couple myself when I was down there for Thanksgiving. One in Jacksonville and one in Plantation.

--Edmund Burke