Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would You Spend $20 On A Raffle Ticket?

Topic closed. 62 replies. Last post 7 years ago by recoveryroad.

Page 3 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

Given the opportunity would you buy a $20 Raffle ticket?

Yes, one [ 30 ]  [29.70%]
Yes, maybe two [ 16 ]  [15.84%]
Yes, multiple tickets [ 30 ]  [29.70%]
No [ 25 ]  [24.75%]
Total Valid Votes [ 101 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
South Florida
United States
Member #82132
November 6, 2009
112 Posts
Posted: December 6, 2009, 3:24 am - IP Logged

They'll still hold the drawing on December 31st, but I can't imagine them keeping the prize amounts the same if they don't sell all the tickets. How could they? The total amount of money they were planning to pay out in total was $10,075,000...which would require 503,750 tickets to be sold in order to cover that amount in full. They were planning on keeping the remaining $9,925,000, or 49.63% of the sales. The odd part is that the official game rules make no mention of a reduction in prize payouts if the the raffle doesn't completely sell out. They must have been fairly confident that every ticket was going to be sold...but I wonder if they're starting to get nervous now.

Nino224's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
    Miami
    United States
    Member #62793
    July 9, 2008
    673 Posts
    Posted: December 7, 2009, 3:21 am - IP Logged

They'll still hold the drawing on December 31st, but I can't imagine them keeping the prize amounts the same if they don't sell all the tickets. How could they? The total amount of money they were planning to pay out in total was $10,075,000...which would require 503,750 tickets to be sold in order to cover that amount in full. They were planning on keeping the remaining $9,925,000, or 49.63% of the sales. The odd part is that the official game rules make no mention of a reduction in prize payouts if the the raffle doesn't completely sell out. They must have been fairly confident that every ticket was going to be sold...but I wonder if they're starting to get nervous now.

I'm sure there's a contingency plan.

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

Miami
      United States
      Member #62793
      July 9, 2008
      673 Posts
      Posted: December 9, 2009, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

They may be getting worried. They're offering anyone who brings in a raffle ticket to a district office purchased between now and the 24th a $2 scratch-off. Top prize is $20,000. Probably not the most enticing offer considering this particular scratch-off hasn't sold very well.

Also, if you spend $10 while you're there you get to spin a wheel for a $100 gas card, and other prizes.

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

South Florida
        United States
        Member #82132
        November 6, 2009
        112 Posts
        Posted: December 9, 2009, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

That's cheesy. They offer a free $2 scratch off if you're willing to waste your gas to drive all the way to a district office. I think there are a whopping 8 of them in the state. And it's also unfair to individuals who bought raffle tickets last month, who received no incentives at all.

It doesn't really make much of a difference though, because I doubt they're going to sell all the tickets even with this little ploy.

Miami
          United States
          Member #62793
          July 9, 2008
          673 Posts
          Posted: December 10, 2009, 2:08 am - IP Logged

That's cheesy. They offer a free $2 scratch off if you're willing to waste your gas to drive all the way to a district office. I think there are a whopping 8 of them in the state. And it's also unfair to individuals who bought raffle tickets last month, who received no incentives at all.

It doesn't really make much of a difference though, because I doubt they're going to sell all the tickets even with this little ploy.

I doubt they'll sell out and this will probably be the last of these raffles.

Miami
            United States
            Member #62793
            July 9, 2008
            673 Posts
            Posted: December 10, 2009, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

These tickets are selling at a rate of a few thousand a day. Yikes!!

South Florida
              United States
              Member #82132
              November 6, 2009
              112 Posts
              Posted: December 10, 2009, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

Yeah...I kind of want a refund now on the two I bought.

Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
                Illinois
                United States
                Member #82001
                November 3, 2009
                890 Posts
                Posted: December 10, 2009, 10:51 pm - IP Logged

Is the shine starting to come off of raffle. It wasn't too long ago that they couldn't print them out quick enough and there were multiple drawings a year and even heard reports of selling out after a week or so. Must be the bad economy and high ticket cost. They may need to consider lowering it to 10 buck or something in the future so they don't get stuck holding the bag.

Miami
                  United States
                  Member #62793
                  July 9, 2008
                  673 Posts
                  Posted: December 11, 2009, 2:35 am - IP Logged

Yeah...I kind of want a refund now on the two I bought.

Do you? Think about it. If they go ahead with the drawing your chances of winning are greatly improved if they don't sell all the tickets.

If anything, you'd want to have more tickets now.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: December 12, 2009, 12:19 am - IP Logged

Do you? Think about it. If they go ahead with the drawing your chances of winning are greatly improved if they don't sell all the tickets.

If anything, you'd want to have more tickets now.

I hope you're right Nino, that they keep the original drawing date and the same prizes. I just bought another VA raffle ticket today and they still have 267,600 to sell in the next 20 days. They've only sold 16,000 in the last week. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I can't see them sticking to schedule though if it's going to be a money loser for them. I still have a feeling that people are waiting for the middle numbers though. I got a good feelin' about this one (like I always do, LOL).

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Miami
                      United States
                      Member #62793
                      July 9, 2008
                      673 Posts
                      Posted: December 12, 2009, 2:04 am - IP Logged

I hope you're right Nino, that they keep the original drawing date and the same prizes. I just bought another VA raffle ticket today and they still have 267,600 to sell in the next 20 days. They've only sold 16,000 in the last week. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I can't see them sticking to schedule though if it's going to be a money loser for them. I still have a feeling that people are waiting for the middle numbers though. I got a good feelin' about this one (like I always do, LOL).

I'm sure they have a fund for this type of situation. They have to. What else can they do?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: December 12, 2009, 2:36 am - IP Logged

I think this is the kind of thing that makes lottery directors nervous. It doesn't look good on the balance sheet and it can't be too good for job security. I hope we're not seeing the end of raffles here. I just might buy one more towards the end of the month.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Miami
                          United States
                          Member #62793
                          July 9, 2008
                          673 Posts
                          Posted: December 12, 2009, 2:58 am - IP Logged

I think this is the kind of thing that makes lottery directors nervous. It doesn't look good on the balance sheet and it can't be too good for job security. I hope we're not seeing the end of raffles here. I just might buy one more towards the end of the month.

It's defintely the last one we'll see in FLA.

South Florida
                            United States
                            Member #82132
                            November 6, 2009
                            112 Posts
                            Posted: December 12, 2009, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

It's defintely the last one we'll see in FLA.

If/when the economy fully recovers and the unemployment rate returns to its average (5% levels) they probably won't have as much trouble selling tickets, so I doubt this will be the last raffle. Too many gamblers in this state to do away with raffles. This was just poor timing.

Currently there are close to 600,000 tickets remaining. They only need to sell about 100,000 more to cover all the prize payouts, which they will likely manage by the end of next week. After that, it's all profit (unless they trim the prize payouts of course). You guys were also predicting that sales will start shooting up now since people want to buy their tickets in the middle ranges.

Miami
                              United States
                              Member #62793
                              July 9, 2008
                              673 Posts
                              Posted: December 12, 2009, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

If/when the economy fully recovers and the unemployment rate returns to its average (5% levels) they probably won't have as much trouble selling tickets, so I doubt this will be the last raffle. Too many gamblers in this state to do away with raffles. This was just poor timing.

Currently there are close to 600,000 tickets remaining. They only need to sell about 100,000 more to cover all the prize payouts, which they will likely manage by the end of next week. After that, it's all profit (unless they trim the prize payouts of course). You guys were also predicting that sales will start shooting up now since people want to buy their tickets in the middle ranges.

Interesting theory.

I'd like to see a new promotion, though. Something different. Bring back the game show maybe?