Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Down to your last $10, would you buy a ticket for one of the biggest jackpots ever?

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Harve$t Moon.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Harve$t Moon's avatar - 5str

United States
Member #76986
July 10, 2009
8038 Posts
Posted: November 22, 2009, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

Down to your LAST $10, would you take a chance and buy a ticket(s) for one of the country's biggest jackpots ever offered?

You may still have a couple dollars left, after buying the ticket(s), but there is NO MORE money (that you know of) coming to you from any source.

If your spouse or significant other bought a ticket, knowing full well that $10 was ALL that was left in the bank, how would you react? Let It All Out

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10356 Posts
    Posted: November 22, 2009, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

No.

While such things do happen - Fred Smith of FedEx or some CEO from a similar company went to Vegas and played blackjack because he couldn't make his payroll one time - anyone making a bet that is going to have them "standing on a ledge" waiting for the outcome isn't too bright.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8366 Posts
      Posted: November 22, 2009, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

When i was much younger down to my last 10 dollars and going to get paid tomorrow i would spend 1 buck.

Down to my last 10 dollars and living in my van down by the river with no job to speak of no i wouldn't buy any tickets.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
        Dollar419's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
        Santa Ana
        United States
        Member #71159
        February 20, 2009
        651 Posts
        Posted: November 22, 2009, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

Down to your LAST $10, would you take a chance and buy a ticket(s) for one of the country's biggest jackpots ever offered?

You may still have a couple dollars left, after buying the ticket(s), but there is NO MORE money (that you know of) coming to you from any source.

If your spouse or significant other bought a ticket, knowing full well that $10 was ALL that was left in the bank, how would you react? Let It All Out

I probably buy the "one" winning ticket--because all it takes is just one to winWink

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Posted: November 23, 2009, 12:35 am - IP Logged

I have money put away to play the lottery. I don't dig into the money, that is meant to pay bills, food, or anything like that.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
            CA
            United States
            Member #57222
            December 23, 2007
            587 Posts
            Posted: November 23, 2009, 8:48 am - IP Logged

No. never, noway.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
              adelaide sa
              Australia
              Member #37136
              April 11, 2006
              3301 Posts
              Posted: November 23, 2009, 10:29 am - IP Logged

id prob have given up gambling long before it was my last $10. I cant imagine what down to $10 would be like.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Harve$t Moon's avatar - 5str

United States
                Member #76986
                July 10, 2009
                8038 Posts
                Posted: November 24, 2009, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

Elements of this scenerio are true. 

Check out Kirby and Marie Fontaine (November, 2009) in Google search. 

This couple won the $50 million jackpot Lotto Max prize, which is one of the biggest jackpots in Canadian lottery history.Banana 

He was down to his last $10.

He could not work for health reasons.

They both struggled with health and money issues. 

They have children. 

In my opinion, they did not act stupidly. 

What more did they have to lose?

One dollar?

Read their story for yourself.

Unfortunately, I don't think that I can post URL links for your convenience.  This may not be a new member privilege.  I would post them for you, if I could.

I did not see their story in the Lottery Post News. 

Maybe Todd will post it soon.

As for me, I would risk one dollar for this event. 

It would be my "HOPE" dollar. Sun Smiley

United States
                  Member #54390
                  August 17, 2007
                  313 Posts
                  Posted: November 24, 2009, 11:33 pm - IP Logged

Elements of this scenerio are true. 

Check out Kirby and Marie Fontaine (November, 2009) in Google search. 

This couple won the $50 million jackpot Lotto Max prize, which is one of the biggest jackpots in Canadian lottery history.Banana 

He was down to his last $10.

He could not work for health reasons.

They both struggled with health and money issues. 

They have children. 

In my opinion, they did not act stupidly. 

What more did they have to lose?

One dollar?

Read their story for yourself.

Unfortunately, I don't think that I can post URL links for your convenience.  This may not be a new member privilege.  I would post them for you, if I could.

I did not see their story in the Lottery Post News. 

Maybe Todd will post it soon.

As for me, I would risk one dollar for this event. 

It would be my "HOPE" dollar. Sun Smiley

They are stupid and very lucky. 

... You have kids... you're struggling with health and money issues.... and you play the lottery.   How stupid can you be? Yes, they were very lucky, but the results are very not typical.   You're most likely going to go broke.

I can imagine the conversation: "yeah honey, My health is bad, we're broke, we only have $10, we have kids.... Let's gamble some money".  STUPID!!!!

To answer the question: 'NO' I will not use my last ten dollars for gambling. 

I bet you there's thousands of broke families that are doing that samething and ruining their lives.  The other day I saw a bumper sticker and it read: "Face it, your only hope is THE LOTTERY".  It's offensive, but it's true.  It's sad to see that the lottery are running peopel's lives down the hole.

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3475 Posts
                    Posted: November 26, 2009, 3:54 am - IP Logged

"In my opinion, they did not act stupidly. 

What more did they have to lose?"

It's certainly true that  $1 or even $10 isn't going to make a meaningful difference, but it's hardly a realistic scenario, and it doesn't mean the decison wasn't stupid. When you can't pay your necessary bills, throwing your money away is stupid and buying a lottery ticket generally means you are throwing your money away.

Shawn67's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
                      Member #45970
                      September 1, 2006
                      4763 Posts
                      Posted: November 26, 2009, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

No, I wouldn't gamble it away. I have a fixed budget for playing the lottery each month and I do not go over that amount. The lottery is not my income. Rather, it is a small way that I supplement my income each month. If I was down to my last $10, I'm thinking simple things like food, gas (to travel to another interview, etc), or utilities would be a little more important than wasting it on a very small chance that I might win something with it. After all, I've got a better chance of getting hired for a good job than I do of winning a jackpot. Maybe someone in that situation should focus more on a way to bring in a steady income ("minimum wage" beats "no wage" any day......just ask someone who's been there).

LAVERNE MALONEY's avatar - smallgirl

United States
                        Member #1987
                        August 5, 2003
                        8968 Posts
                        Posted: November 26, 2009, 1:56 pm - IP Logged
                          Santa Ana
                          United States
                          Member #71159
                          February 20, 2009
                          651 Posts
                          Posted: November 26, 2009, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

They are stupid and very lucky. 

... You have kids... you're struggling with health and money issues.... and you play the lottery.   How stupid can you be? Yes, they were very lucky, but the results are very not typical.   You're most likely going to go broke.

I can imagine the conversation: "yeah honey, My health is bad, we're broke, we only have $10, we have kids.... Let's gamble some money".  STUPID!!!!

To answer the question: 'NO' I will not use my last ten dollars for gambling. 

I bet you there's thousands of broke families that are doing that samething and ruining their lives.  The other day I saw a bumper sticker and it read: "Face it, your only hope is THE LOTTERY".  It's offensive, but it's true.  It's sad to see that the lottery are running peopel's lives down the hole.

I would not necessarily call these people STUPID, LUCKY yes, STUPID NO.. All it took was one winning ticket and we don't know for sure if they gambled their entire last $10.00.  They were at the right place, at the right time--LUCK OF THE DRAW to win respectively.  Not a stupid move on their part.  There are thousands of broke families, spending there last $10.00 on other items.  The Lottery is a game of chance and for some it might ruin people lives because they are careless, but there are other games of chance that are running people's lives as well.

United States
                            Member #75358
                            June 1, 2009
                            5345 Posts
                            Posted: November 26, 2009, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

About 7 years ago I was in a similar situation, and the last thing on my mind was to play the lottery. Instead, I used that money for gas for my car on my way down to a day labor company the next day at 5:AM  busting my hump digging ditches to make 50 bucks cash at the end of the day. If I couldn't work physically, then I'd find another way, but not spend money on the lottery. That's just irresponsible and absurd.

The lottery is in my opinion a luxury recreation, not a reliance for revenue. Anyone who thinks they can win with 10 bucks left to their name, hoping to get out of a rut, short of a miracle, is just plain dumb and lazy. The astronomical odds, among other reasons, against you should be a red flag, that your priorities are not in order.

Santa Ana
                              United States
                              Member #71159
                              February 20, 2009
                              651 Posts
                              Posted: November 26, 2009, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

About 7 years ago I was in a similar situation, and the last thing on my mind was to play the lottery. Instead, I used that money for gas for my car on my way down to a day labor company the next day at 5:AM  busting my hump digging ditches to make 50 bucks cash at the end of the day. If I couldn't work physically, then I'd find another way, but not spend money on the lottery. That's just irresponsible and absurd.

The lottery is in my opinion a luxury recreation, not a reliance for revenue. Anyone who thinks they can win with 10 bucks left to their name, hoping to get out of a rut, short of a miracle, is just plain dumb and lazy. The astronomical odds, among other reasons, against you should be a red flag, that your priorities are not in order.

I would call it dumb or lazy, just plain old HUMAN NATURE, to try anything to get ahead; some people spent their "last" $10.00 on drugs, booze, hookers and you're correct that playing the lottery is a luxury and I'm glad the you made the right decision 7 years ago.