Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 2:47 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Down to your last $10, would you buy a ticket for one of the biggest jackpots ever?

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Harve$t Moon.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Harve$t Moon's avatar - 5str

United States
Member #76986
July 10, 2009
8035 Posts
Posted: December 5, 2009, 9:33 am - IP Logged

Elements of this scenerio are true. 

Check out Kirby and Marie Fontaine (November, 2009) in Google search. 

This couple won the $50 million jackpot Lotto Max prize, which is one of the biggest jackpots in Canadian lottery history.Banana 

He was down to his last $10.

He could not work for health reasons.

They both struggled with health and money issues. 

They have children. 

In my opinion, they did not act stupidly. 

What more did they have to lose?

One dollar?

Read their story for yourself.

Unfortunately, I don't think that I can post URL links for your convenience.  This may not be a new member privilege.  I would post them for you, if I could.

I did not see their story in the Lottery Post News. 

Maybe Todd will post it soon.

As for me, I would risk one dollar for this event. 

It would be my "HOPE" dollar. Sun Smiley

Thanks Todd, for posting the latest news about this couple (Kirby and Marie Fontaine). Their story is the reason that I submitted this question for discussion.

The Fontaines are sharing a bit of their $50 million with their community! Dance

Hope that it is okay to post the link, because I am a new member. 

If I get booted out, please help me to get back in here.  Thanks!

Now for my morning cup of joe! Coffee

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/204815

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: December 5, 2009, 3:15 pm - IP Logged

If I'm down to my last ten bucks, one dollar spent on the lottery ain't gonna make it any worse.

I'd do it without any hesitation at all. What's the alternative, another burger at Mickey D's? Gimme the ticket.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

tungsten chef's avatar - nw dwarf5.jpg
      Winnipeg
      Canada
      Member #14974
      May 7, 2005
      3643 Posts
      Posted: December 5, 2009, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Todd, for posting the latest news about this couple (Kirby and Marie Fontaine). Their story is the reason that I submitted this question for discussion.

The Fontaines are sharing a bit of their $50 million with their community! Dance

Hope that it is okay to post the link, because I am a new member. 

If I get booted out, please help me to get back in here.  Thanks!

Now for my morning cup of joe! Coffee

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/204815

the ticket cost 5$.

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
        Gurnee, Illinois
        United States
        Member #49731
        February 12, 2007
        917 Posts
        Posted: December 5, 2009, 6:13 pm - IP Logged

All of you cats calling someone playing a few of their last remaining dollars on the lottery stupid shows that you are just like the short-sighted, hypocrital numbskulls harping about Tiger Woods indiscretions...(all I will say on that is...Tiger you are the mo#@!&^*! man!).  If I knew I didn't have enough cash to pay my bills, but still had a Jackson in my pocket, I would go to Burger King and buy 2 sandwiches off the dollar menu, ask for a small cup for some FREE water (I bet you hypocrites willingly and stupidly fork over a buck for a 20 oz. bottle of water!), walk down to the nearest convenience store and purchase $2 worth of advance draws for the weeks Mega Jackpot game and $2 or $3 worth of advance draws for the state lotto game (for those of you keeping track, I have now spent a maximum of $7), and then walk back home or to my pitiful job.  Then I would do it again the following week if I didn't hit the numbers.  $13 bucks left over would definitely keep me fed ordering off of the dollar menu for lunch (I would eat breakfast and dinner at home).

At least playing the lottery gives you the chance to "WIN" some money.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

marcie's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
          Ohio
          United States
          Member #49980
          February 21, 2007
          34146 Posts
          Posted: December 5, 2009, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

Down to your LAST $10, would you take a chance and buy a ticket(s) for one of the country's biggest jackpots ever offered?

You may still have a couple dollars left, after buying the ticket(s), but there is NO MORE money (that you know of) coming to you from any source.

If your spouse or significant other bought a ticket, knowing full well that $10 was ALL that was left in the bank, how would you react? Let It All Out

No I would not!!

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

NH
            United States
            Member #83352
            December 5, 2009
            223 Posts
            Posted: December 5, 2009, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

YES

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
              Member #13130
              March 30, 2005
              2171 Posts
              Posted: December 6, 2009, 10:30 am - IP Logged

Down to your LAST $10, would you take a chance and buy a ticket(s) for one of the country's biggest jackpots ever offered?

You may still have a couple dollars left, after buying the ticket(s), but there is NO MORE money (that you know of) coming to you from any source.

If your spouse or significant other bought a ticket, knowing full well that $10 was ALL that was left in the bank, how would you react? Let It All Out

One of my long-time signatures -- "Fortunes have been made on ideas dismissed by others as having no value." Cool

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
              Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                Chicago
                United States
                Member #70678
                February 8, 2009
                889 Posts
                Posted: December 7, 2009, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

NO because I'd hold on to that money for milk or bread  and then there's the never ending quarters needed to do laundry.

If it was my spouse or significant other....I don't know what I'd do. LOL I don't even want to think of what I'd do!

Harve$t Moon's avatar - 5str

United States
                  Member #76986
                  July 10, 2009
                  8035 Posts
                  Posted: December 27, 2009, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for your responses on this topic!!!

Sending everyone Money Ble$$ing$ 

and wishes for continous  good health,  prosperity, and peace  in the coming new year!!!

Blue Angel   Blue Angel   Blue Angel   Blue Angel   Blue Angel   Blue Angel   Blue Angel   Blue Angel

United States
                    Member #83701
                    December 13, 2009
                    225 Posts
                    Posted: December 28, 2009, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

Depends on what difference that $10 would make.   If keeping it made the difference between making a mortgage payment or not or getting some medicine or not then spending it on a lottery would be foolish but if that $10 wasn't going to make a difference in your plight then it's the hail Mary desperation move that probably won't help but at least there's a chance.

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
                      Northern Virginia
                      United States
                      Member #83350
                      December 5, 2009
                      1317 Posts
                      Posted: December 28, 2009, 11:38 pm - IP Logged

Buying 1 ticket for a big jackpot game, maybe, but spending all $10, ABSOLUTELY NOT. Chances are very good that, after the drawings, I would have absolutely nothing.

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

Angel19's avatar - disney25
                        nashville n.c.
                        United States
                        Member #78433
                        August 14, 2009
                        1547 Posts
                        Posted: December 29, 2009, 2:46 am - IP Logged

Buying 1 ticket for a big jackpot game, maybe, but spending all $10, ABSOLUTELY NOT. Chances are very good that, after the drawings, I would have absolutely nothing.

I agree with you Hermanus104. No way would i spend my last $10 on a game of chance. We all know that you have to be very lucky to hit that jackpot. I just couldnt see myself  taking a risk like that. As for my spouse...i would hope he knew better and thought about taking care of home first.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                          Texas
                          United States
                          Member #55889
                          October 23, 2007
                          5603 Posts
                          Posted: December 30, 2009, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

Depends on what difference that $10 would make.   If keeping it made the difference between making a mortgage payment or not or getting some medicine or not then spending it on a lottery would be foolish but if that $10 wasn't going to make a difference in your plight then it's the hail Mary desperation move that probably won't help but at least there's a chance.

Agree. Depends on the difference the money would make.

I would probably just play a buck or 2 on P3 for a better chance at some short term cash rather than try to hit a jackpot.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Jack Pot's avatar - Lottery-028.jpg

United States
                            Member #55246
                            September 20, 2007
                            225 Posts
                            Posted: December 30, 2009, 10:43 pm - IP Logged

Common sense tells me I shouldn't be buying lottery tickets when I am down to my last $10.... it would be utterly irresponsible.

But... I know myself- I'm going to buy one. I've been playing since 2006. Never missed a draw. I only play one set of number. I  can never forgive Bash myself if my number combination fell and I did not play.

jump1900's avatar - Lottery-028.jpg
                              North Carolina
                              United States
                              Member #48155
                              December 12, 2006
                              3272 Posts
                              Posted: December 31, 2009, 2:14 am - IP Logged

NO

spend it on a big mac