Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Down to your last $10, would you buy a ticket for one of the biggest jackpots ever?

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Harve$t Moon.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Pinkpansies's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg

United States
Member #58857
February 27, 2008
112 Posts
Posted: January 6, 2010, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

After the reading the story I predict that those two people will be in the paper again within about five-seven years and they will be poster children for blowing through their lottery winnings within a relatively short time.  I think it is great that they want to feed children and try to make sure that no one in the community goes hungry.

They were approached about starting a hockey team, that is something that can bleed them dry within a relatively short time.  It reminds me of an English man who bought a football, might have been a rugby team.  He ended up bankrupt quite quickly.

They need to learn to live off the interest of their winnings and to not spend the principal.  That way they can have a grand old life and they will be able to help many more charities rather then needing charity in the future. 

If I was down to ten dollars I would not spend on the lottery.  If I could not work then I would go to the support systems in my area and ask for help.  Once I was back on my feet, then I would go from there.

United States
    Member #73512
    April 16, 2009
    106 Posts
    Posted: January 6, 2010, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I would.  Only I would buy one ticket because that's all I'd need.

Think about it.  The way this situation is illustrated is that I have 10 dollars, and ONLY 10 dollars.  Whether I have outside support from family or what ever doesn't make much of a difference because in the end, all I have is 10 dollars that are my own.  That 10 dollars is not going to last any longer than a day.  You're darn right I'm going to make the best of it.  Yeah yeah yeah, the odds are astronomical, it's throwing away money, blah blah blah.  Well unless I can find something else to get myself out of the hole, than I'm going to go for it, as small chance as it is.  What have I got to lose? 

For god's sake, no one should ever get themselves in such a horrible situation, especially since there would have to be other support systems, but this is a hypothetical question, isn't it?

Harve$t Moon's avatar - 5str

United States
      Member #76986
      July 10, 2009
      8034 Posts
      Posted: February 5, 2010, 2:09 am - IP Logged

Thanks, everyone, for your great responses to this question!  Wink

Green globe money purse

Ble$$ing$