Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:36 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How many pre-test draws are normal?

Topic closed. 39 replies. Last post 7 years ago by PERDUE.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Tenaj's avatar - michellea
Charlotte NC
United States
Member #17406
June 18, 2005
4053 Posts
Posted: November 30, 2009, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

What?I'm curious to know how many pre-test draws in the pick 3 and 4 games are normal?  NC have 3 pre-test draws before the draw.  The 4th is the draw and they do another one after that and said that if things didn't look right they will do another one.  Is that normal?  How many pre-test draws are normal.

takeemtothebank

South Carolina
    United States
    Member #18322
    July 9, 2005
    1704 Posts
    Posted: November 30, 2009, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

What?I'm curious to know how many pre-test draws in the pick 3 and 4 games are normal?  NC have 3 pre-test draws before the draw.  The 4th is the draw and they do another one after that and said that if things didn't look right they will do another one.  Is that normal?  How many pre-test draws are normal.

How do Pretest draws affect the actual drawing ???

hesperides's avatar - girlz1
      Houston, TX
      United States
      Member #72540
      March 20, 2009
      1102 Posts
      Posted: November 30, 2009, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

Texas has 4 pre-tests  before each drawing.

Columbia City, Indiana
        United States
        Member #2978
        December 9, 2003
        381 Posts
        Posted: November 30, 2009, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

I don't know how you'd define what's "normal," but the number of pre-test and post-test drawings performed is entirely up to the lottery director in each state. As an engineer, I'd think one pre-test draw and one post-test draw would be sufficient to ensure the machines are working properly. PowerBall also performs three pre-test draws and another one after the actual prize drawing, so in that respect I suppose one could say the schedule you've outlined is normal.

Personally, I think they do it just to throw off system players. Many times, especially in the Daily Games, the numbers predicted will come up in the test drawings. I've noticed this phenomenon in several states that publish their test draws, including North Carolina. Just two years ago, most state lotteries performed only two test draws, one before the prize drawing and another one after, so the practice is fairly recent.

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
          Tx
          United States
          Member #4570
          May 4, 2004
          5180 Posts
          Posted: November 30, 2009, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

I could not find the pretest information, do they post it?

What they do is rotten.

A game can be fixed in that way.

Keep on doing pretests until a number that few people bought comes out.

---------------

4 Pretests before the draw is bad enough, there should not be any more pretests after the "actual" draw.

I guess there is no such thing as an actual draw anymore.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

hesperides's avatar - girlz1
            Houston, TX
            United States
            Member #72540
            March 20, 2009
            1102 Posts
            Posted: November 30, 2009, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

Texas

funny thing is that a few triples we are expecting show up on the pre-test No No

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: November 30, 2009, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

I don't think there should be any test draws prior to the official draw.

They can prove the balls or machine isn't fixed with additional draws after the official draw. I would have more faith in a system like that.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8359 Posts
                Posted: November 30, 2009, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

I don't think there should be any test draws prior to the official draw.

They can prove the balls or machine isn't fixed with additional draws after the official draw. I would have more faith in a system like that.

so you would want to get in on the fix!

you wouldn't mind having them black out the drawing when the machine fails to work for some reason. Then they draw the balls off the air and broadcast the numbers on their website. Yea i bet people would jump for joy for that.

If 333 showed up in three pre test draws, the official draw and the after draw then there could possibly be ball or machine tampering going on.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.

United States
                  Member #75358
                  June 1, 2009
                  5345 Posts
                  Posted: November 30, 2009, 10:10 pm - IP Logged

There's nothing normal about any amount of pre-tests. What a scam this is. I've said this a thousand times. It's just a ploy to throw off the natural flow of numbers.

The crap about making sure the machine is working properly is rediculous. If a machine is going to break down, it'll break down no matter how many times you pre-test it. In fact, they are aiding the breakdown by conducting multiple pretests every day, sometimes twice a day.

There is no such thing as perpetual motion, meaning, no machine that has moving parts will run forever because of wear and tear. So effectively what they're doing is speeding up the wear and tear process.

I'd be very intersted to see the stats showing how many times they've actually had a machine break down during a test, in order to show the effectiveness of pretesting. I'm willing to bet the machine breakdown frequency is equivalent to the number of times a bull goes sky diving on Fridays. 

Puke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: November 30, 2009, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

so you would want to get in on the fix!

you wouldn't mind having them black out the drawing when the machine fails to work for some reason. Then they draw the balls off the air and broadcast the numbers on their website. Yea i bet people would jump for joy for that.

If 333 showed up in three pre test draws, the official draw and the after draw then there could possibly be ball or machine tampering going on.

There would be evidence of ball or machine tampering if 333 came up repeatedly before or after the drawing. Ideally, there should be a standard maintained by all states to instill confidence in the game. It's highly doubtful anyone would tamper either way (with test draws before or after). The dadgum machine ain't nothing but a blower and a bunch of ping pong balls. What is there to break down?   

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                      Charlotte NC
                      United States
                      Member #17406
                      June 18, 2005
                      4053 Posts
                      Posted: November 30, 2009, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

Thumbs DownI hope this is not becoming a common practice.   Too bad there is not a cap of how many pre-test/post draws can be performed.

takeemtothebank

four4me's avatar - gate1
                        MD
                        United States
                        Member #1701
                        June 18, 2003
                        8359 Posts
                        Posted: December 1, 2009, 1:21 am - IP Logged

There would be evidence of ball or machine tampering if 333 came up repeatedly before or after the drawing. Ideally, there should be a standard maintained by all states to instill confidence in the game. It's highly doubtful anyone would tamper either way (with test draws before or after). The dadgum machine ain't nothing but a blower and a bunch of ping pong balls. What is there to break down?   

On  numerous occasions the Maryland's ball machines lottery failed to turn on. Several times the ball didn't pop up possibly a vacuum problem once some idiot behind the pick 3 machine stepped on the electric cord and the plug pulled out of the socket.

I'm sure on many instances this happened in other states as well or something similar I've seen You-tube vids of a ball completely flying out of the machine..

It is pretty much an industry standard in all states that use balls to conduct pre tests.

The tests are recorded via a tape for the auditors of the states games. This record is archived.

All the security measures involved in processing the drawings are implemented to thwart tampering. That don't mean some idiot or idiots wouldn't try it.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: December 1, 2009, 1:43 am - IP Logged

I've always been opposed to pre-tests.  Anything can go wrong before or during the drawing.   I don't think having pre-tests is a ploy, but I do believe they throw off the randomness of the game.  Randomness is supposed to be objective & unpredictable.  So, by running tests to make sure the unpredictable doesn't happen, they take away the randomness.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                            MD
                            United States
                            Member #1701
                            June 18, 2003
                            8359 Posts
                            Posted: December 1, 2009, 2:05 am - IP Logged
                            people think it's an unfair disadvantage for them to do pre test. I beg to differ because they change balls and machines for every drawing. The machine that was used for pick 3 might be in a pick 4 spot in position 2 and so on. The balls they used for tomorrows afternoon drawing might be locked in a cabinet and not used for 10 drawings from the midday drawing. pre tests are a part of the security measures.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19816 Posts
                              Posted: December 1, 2009, 2:34 am - IP Logged

Losers see their numbers come up in one of the pretest drawings and think they might have won if that drawing had been official and the winners are glad the pretest drawings weren't the official drawing.

Odds are if a pick3 player watched 4 or 5 drawings pretest or official and plays 10 lines, all of the numbers in one of his lines are likely to be in one of the drawings 20-30% of the time.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking