Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

All Things Considered, Which Is The Better Game - PB or MM?

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 7 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Considering matrices, odds, prizes and multiplier options, which is best?

Powerball [ 35 ]  [52.24%]
Mega Millions [ 32 ]  [47.76%]
Total Valid Votes [ 67 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 6 ]  
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: December 7, 2009, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

If you had to pick one of the two games for your state, which would it be and why?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

x1kosmic's avatar - neptune vg2.gif

United States
    Member #48046
    December 7, 2006
    1699 Posts
    Posted: December 7, 2009, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

I voted for Powerball

I've gotten to where I almost use the Multiplyer everytime

( Had to cut my play a little to 5 or 6 plays)

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
      Dallas, TX
      United States
      Member #60284
      April 12, 2008
      3856 Posts
      Posted: December 7, 2009, 9:37 pm - IP Logged

Mega Millions.

JADELottery's avatar - MeAtWork 03.PNG
        The Quantum Master
        West Concord, MN
        United States
        Member #21
        December 7, 2001
        3675 Posts
        Posted: December 7, 2009, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

The Two Will Become One.

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
        Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
        Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
        Knowledge is Beyond Belief
        Wisdom is Not Censored
        Douglas Paul Smallish
        Jehocifer

United States
          Member #119
          February 19, 2002
          527 Posts
          Posted: December 7, 2009, 11:13 pm - IP Logged

If you had to pick one of the two games for your state, which would it be and why?

The REAL question should be, "Which would you PLAY?" to which I would respond, a TRUE Cash 5 game with a number field NO BIGGER than 30-39 numbers!

Yes, I KNOW it would not pay out MILLIONS, but I'd settle for 3-5 Cash 5 jackpots a year from $50k to $600k than suffer the loss of all those dollars (for decades) from only having a 1 in 173,000,000 chance winning what in actuality is TWO lotteries in ONE!

"Always tell the truth-- that will astonish some and gratify the rest."  Pres. Harry S. Truman

New Jersey
            United States
            Member #21206
            September 4, 2005
            949 Posts
            Posted: December 7, 2009, 11:17 pm - IP Logged

Megamillions has a bigger cash fraction compared to the annuity (which is generally a fraudulent representation) and slightly better odds, not that it really matters.

Since I play according to expectation value, I am more likely to play megamillions.   I live on a border and can choose either one, although my state will soon play both.

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
              Member #32537
              February 12, 2006
              698 Posts
              Posted: December 8, 2009, 12:29 am - IP Logged

i like prob988 point

also sense i have been playing PB, let me tell you our weak points

less money per buck goes to the jackpot then compared to MM jackpot

, in short, if both had the same tickets sales

for say same jackpot levels, MM would beat it in faster jackpots/biger is better

,  seeing as must states will have both, this will make MM the fastest by far

also PB has this thing called a "Cap"  the must stupid idea ever for  JACKPOT game

if your selling point IS a jackpot, and how it keeps getting bigger and bigger,and that brings more sales,in, YOU DON'T Cap it

thats like  selling running shoes but saying right when they start to hit run Speed, you must slow down to walking speed,   its so idotic,

in short, MM is hands down the best, and thank god my state"TN" IS  bringing us MM next year

now the real question is with both games doubleing in size over nite early next year

what will happen to the odds/matrix for both

that will change ever thing,  the one with the best odds, win's

am hopeful MM new matix  will stay better odds then PB oddslike it is atm,    and god would i love it if PB removed its Cap next year

, sense you know,  having  MM now being sold in the same places, with no cap,     they would want to claim their #1 game,now their twin sult sister MM is moving in on their player base

if they keep the cap next year, MM will have no issue with wiping the floor with PB in sales

they may as will be Twins come next year, 2 national lotto games FTW

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3471 Posts
                Posted: December 8, 2009, 2:54 am - IP Logged

As a practical matter the odds are the same, so I'd say the better game is the one with the bigger jackpot. The real jackpot, of course, which means the cash value. If I had the choice of both in the same location and could only play one I might  go for a somewhat smaller jackpot  in MM.

Nino224's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
                  Miami
                  United States
                  Member #62793
                  July 9, 2008
                  673 Posts
                  Posted: December 8, 2009, 3:12 am - IP Logged

Simple: Powerplay.

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #55889
                    October 23, 2007
                    5586 Posts
                    Posted: December 8, 2009, 9:01 am - IP Logged

MM is better. Jackpots grow faster. Odds are lower.

Only thing PB is better is that it starts higher and if you powerplay and get 5+0 you automatically win a million. You don't in MM.

Also, forgot that Tx is the only state with MM megaplier. I play that every time. But it pays $500K, $750K, or $1M depending on the megaplier number drawn. So PB would be a little better in that regard.

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                      Member #91
                      January 19, 2002
                      11904 Posts
                      Posted: December 8, 2009, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! But you dont get an automatic million with powerplay you get 2 to 5 times the $200,000 second tier prize,,,depending on which power play number is drawn (2,3,4 or 5)

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                        Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #56506
                        November 21, 2007
                        6537 Posts
                        Posted: December 8, 2009, 2:29 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! But you dont get an automatic million with powerplay you get 2 to 5 times the $200,000 second tier prize,,,depending on which power play number is drawn (2,3,4 or 5)

Actually, that is no longer true. The Powers that be changed how the second prize works a long time ago. No matter if the powerplay ball that is drawn is 2, 3, 4 or 5, if you get 5 white balls and you have powerplayed your ticket, you automatically get a million dollars.

ThatScaryChick, Powerball payout table

"The Match 5 prize with the PowerPlay option now has a guaranteed 5x multiplier, pushing the second prize to $1 MILLION."

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Nino224's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
                          Miami
                          United States
                          Member #62793
                          July 9, 2008
                          673 Posts
                          Posted: December 9, 2009, 3:25 am - IP Logged

Actually, that is no longer true. The Powers that be changed how the second prize works a long time ago. No matter if the powerplay ball that is drawn is 2, 3, 4 or 5, if you get 5 white balls and you have powerplayed your ticket, you automatically get a million dollars.

"The Match 5 prize with the PowerPlay option now has a guaranteed 5x multiplier, pushing the second prize to $1 MILLION."

For that reason I'm going with PB.

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                            Member #91
                            January 19, 2002
                            11904 Posts
                            Posted: December 9, 2009, 11:18 am - IP Logged

Wow, that rule change got by me completely.  I am a MM state so I don't check for powerball changes unles they come up here.  Oh well, Thanks for the update....

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                              Idaho
                              United States
                              Member #56506
                              November 21, 2007
                              6537 Posts
                              Posted: December 9, 2009, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

Wow, that rule change got by me completely.  I am a MM state so I don't check for powerball changes unles they come up here.  Oh well, Thanks for the update....

You're welcome. Smile

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."