Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

All Things Considered, Which Is The Better Game - PB or MM?

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 7 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Considering matrices, odds, prizes and multiplier options, which is best?

Powerball [ 35 ]  [52.24%]
Mega Millions [ 32 ]  [47.76%]
Total Valid Votes [ 67 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 6 ]  
time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
Member #13130
March 30, 2005
2171 Posts
Posted: December 11, 2009, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

Simple: Powerplay.

I Agree! That powerplay option has turned a few tickets that were otherwise Sleep into Thumbs Up.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #56506
    November 21, 2007
    6537 Posts
    Posted: December 13, 2009, 12:33 am - IP Logged

Yeah, I also think powerplay is a bonus for Powerball. But, it looks like that Mega Millions will start offering the megaplier in many of the new states that are joining the game. I know Idaho has said that the megaplier will be offered for the game when it starts, which I am glad they are doing.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1953 Posts
      Posted: December 13, 2009, 5:01 am - IP Logged

Powerball. It's just a cooler name.

Gonna win.Big Smile

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
        A long and winding road
        United States
        Member #17084
        June 10, 2005
        4525 Posts
        Posted: December 17, 2009, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

I realize that there is GAIN in numbers...

I side though on this matter by saying, The less states that Join the Powerball the better off the players are.

I will say this...as another poster said..it will turn into one national lottery....which is sad...

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

United States
          Member #80450
          September 27, 2009
          56 Posts
          Posted: December 17, 2009, 10:47 pm - IP Logged

Mega Millions.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: December 18, 2009, 3:00 am - IP Logged

Mega Millions.

Wow, haven't heard Rita Hayworth's name in years. I grew up listening to her. She was a favorite of my mother (She'll be 92 in 3 weeks). I wouldn't have thought she'd still have any fans still alive.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
              Member #80450
              September 27, 2009
              56 Posts
              Posted: December 18, 2009, 3:17 am - IP Logged

Wow, haven't heard Rita Hayworth's name in years. I grew up listening to her. She was a favorite of my mother (She'll be 92 in 3 weeks). I wouldn't have thought she'd still have any fans still alive.

I adore RH, Most of my money from a Mega Millions Jackpot would go to buying stuff related to her...I wanna get my hands on stuff she owned to.

Hopefully one day.

I only got some movies, books and stuff now. :(

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8360 Posts
                Posted: December 18, 2009, 3:18 am - IP Logged

If you had to pick one of the two games for your state, which would it be and why?

I'd choose powerball because of power play but if we had mega millions with power play then I'd chose mega mil.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                  megamillionaire's avatar - Sphere animated_small_ neg2.gif
                  Queens, NY
                  United States
                  Member #245
                  April 15, 2002
                  451 Posts
                  Posted: December 21, 2009, 9:48 pm - IP Logged

I voted for Powerball. We have MegaMillion here in NY. It seems that Powerball grows faster and I like the fact that you can pay an extra buck and get a bigger payout for all but the Jackpot plays. We will be getting Powerball in NY in February, so the Lottery Comission says.

Megamillionaire

Time is a wonderful teacher, but it kills all its students.

A man must consider what a rich realm he leaves when he becomes a conformist.

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
                    Member #32537
                    February 12, 2006
                    698 Posts
                    Posted: December 26, 2009, 10:48 am - IP Logged

"Itseems that Powerball grows faster and I like the fact that you can payan extra buck and get a bigger payout for all but the Jackpot plays."

i kind of notice what you mean by "appears to be faster growth", its a all lie thro

if mega millions and powerhad has the same  cash jackpot,

Powerball Would appear to be Mucher larger then MM jackpot thx to  longer Annuity for Marketing!

30pb vs mm 25 years annuity

trust me, with more money going to jackpot  prize pool per ticket sold for MM,

and soon to be same player base with overall Must lotto states soon to have both early next year

MM is better in ever way far as growth

also for special long runs, MM jackpot has no jackpot cap

so when the next round of record setting jackpot starts up next year, PB  will get no where close as MM one,   i have a feeling PB will hit the cap over and over many times  thro out the next few years

while MM can have 1 good long run that will push that sucker sky high 500+ maybe,

little thing like pay extra buck to win more at lower prizes  levels is  STATE issue For MM game

, i know some of the new states joining are doing it, like texas does it

so call your state and bitch at them if you want that ripoff deal of 2 bucks for better payouts at lower levels

i say its a ripoff deal cease i think of it like this:

they invented pack5s and stuff for much better odds for lower prize level payouts

i rather have 2 mm/pb  tickets then 1 ticket that makes lower payouts a tid better ,sense  your not getting better ODDS with 1 ticket ,  you are with 2 however!,

at lest in my state that is, tn has a uncapped pack 5, so it can get high sometimes, and hell Beats the living hell out of PB 2nd place prize of 200k/1m sometimes , pretty funny when it does

and the odds, Hahahaha take a look at pb and my state pack 5 game

5 of 5 no pb,                      1 - 5,138,133      payouts $200,000 $1,000,000   FOR PB
                    5 of 5 winning numbersm  1 in 575,757

ya 5m vs 500k odds,  it makes much more sense to me to buy 2 tickets then 1 over priced one,

now if the over priced one made the jackpot worth more,

then we can have a debate, but to the jackpot gets bigger,  more tickets  just makes more sense,

why people play the big games for the lower prizes  makes no sense to me,

sense your state pack 5 or whatever you have should be a better deal then paying 2 bucks for 1 pb ticket

also , i take it the  2$  powerball ticket to be WORST for the jackpot pool also

, sense that takes  even MORE money out of the jackpot prize pool then normaly it would

sense buying 2  1$ tickets both help out the jackpot  twice as much as a  buying 1 - 2$ TICKET

the added 1$ cost to the 2$ ticket  DOES NOT HELP OUT THE JACKPOT PRIZE POOL ANY IN SHAPE OR FORM

in short, even if both  games overfall had the same amount of "sales" 

jackpot pool would grow even slower for pb

in short, PB is a pice of carp compared to jackpot growth power of a MM , i rest my case.

CA
                      United States
                      Member #84266
                      December 26, 2009
                      410 Posts
                      Posted: January 25, 2010, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

Don't have Power Ball here in Cali so I can't say. What's the starting jackpot for PB? What's the highest it has gotten up to?

megamillionaire's avatar - Sphere animated_small_ neg2.gif
                        Queens, NY
                        United States
                        Member #245
                        April 15, 2002
                        451 Posts
                        Posted: January 25, 2010, 4:46 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! That powerplay option has turned a few tickets that were otherwise Sleep into Thumbs Up.

I Agree!

I concur powerplay makes the difference.

Megamillionaire

Time is a wonderful teacher, but it kills all its students.

A man must consider what a rich realm he leaves when he becomes a conformist.

pick4hawk's avatar - Trek HAND3.gif

United States
                          Member #19982
                          August 9, 2005
                          226 Posts
                          Posted: January 29, 2010, 9:36 am - IP Logged

The Two Will Become One.

I agree the Two will become One.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10350 Posts
                            Posted: February 16, 2010, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

I agree the Two will become One.

I agree with JADELottery, too, but just hope that when they do merge it doesn't turn into something like a 5/75 + 1/55 game with a $2 ticket price and a $5 "mergeaplier" price.

I better shut up before one of the MUSL agents sees this and gets an idea.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
                              Member #32537
                              February 12, 2006
                              698 Posts
                              Posted: February 16, 2010, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

they will never merge, i seen the news stories

they did not EVER talk about a merge,

you guys have been making false assumptions

what they talked about is 3RD  game,

while leaveing mega millions/pb alone

they did talk about  a 2 to 5 buck price range

they said letting mm and pb  cross sell was the first STEP of all the lotterys working as 1 team,

if mm and pb cross selling works out  will, what they are atm

, sometimes in 2011 we could see a new game, its just to far out to say what it be in details

their goal is to some insane odds with high payouts of reaching at or over half a billion, for marketing

that is what they said so far, so i go with that

but i repeat mm and pb are here to STAY, no merge will ever happen, that was never talked about by the lotterys, only a 3rd new game way down the road!

quotes by lotto officals

"said that assuming customers like the change, lottery officials will soon focus on a true national lottery. They hope that will happen by spring 2011, but haven't sorted out many details, including a name or drawing frequency."

"If we develop a national game, it will probably be at a differentprice point," said Tom Shaheen, president of the Powerball group. "It might be $2. It might be $5. It will be a single game, but we haven't worked out all the details of that yet. The other two games, I believe,would remain intact."

Such a super lottery could happen by next fall, said Chuck Strutt, the Powerball group's executive director.