Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

A question about lotto system odds

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United Kingdom
Member #85102
January 9, 2010
8 Posts
Posted: January 9, 2010, 2:04 am - IP Logged

A friend of mine has worked out a system on the lottery where by she has reduced the odds from nearly 14.000.000 to 1 down to 17.000 to 1,

That’s 822 times easer to win she has just finished working it out, she only plays a few lines at a time each play,

My question is this IS IT POSSAIBLE or is she lying to me, I have been on the internet and found no lotto system in the world that can do that please give me your comments on it thanks sally.

United States
    Member #81843
    October 31, 2009
    856 Posts
    Posted: January 9, 2010, 2:39 am - IP Logged

Hi Sally,

I hope you are keeping warm there in GB!

Could you tell us what game it is, how many numbers are in play, the matching requirements, the exact number of combinations in the game?

There are some players here that will be able to answer your question better with a little more info. Is your friend looking for sympathetic investors? Have you ever heard of Snake-Oil? If it works on paper every time BEFORE the draw, you may be on to something,.....Lep

Cheers!

DD

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
      Dump Water Florida
      United States
      Member #380
      June 5, 2002
      3104 Posts
      Posted: January 9, 2010, 2:44 am - IP Logged

Such systems are called "conditional" meaning the odds are reduced when conditions are met and you lose when they are not, balances out.  

There are also scam systems/pools that claim they reduce your odds, they do not. 

Take a 6/49 game.  The odds are 13.9 million to 1 meaning if you buy one ticket of 6 numbers it is 1 chance in 13.9 million.

However, if you make a 12 number wheel, the odds of 6/49 winning numbers falling among 12 rather then 6 is 1 in 1 in 15,134 a considerable difference and if your goal is to win a 4 number prize with 12 numbers in 6 lines it's not a bad way to go.   If you want to win a jackpot, the odds of matching all 6 winning numbers in one line among 12 is 1 in 924 which we call a FULL wheel.
      Multiply 924 x 15134 = 13,983,816 the odds of the game, nothing has changed except our position where we choose to play. 

BobP

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3475 Posts
        Posted: January 9, 2010, 3:42 am - IP Logged

She might be lying, or she might just be wrong. It all depends on what the "system" is, but one thing is sure: you can't change the odds of a random game of chance.

Wheels are commonly suggested, so there's a good chance that  is what she's talking about, but wheels are pure BS. The logical conclusion to wheeling would be to play a "wheel" that includes only as many numbers are drawn, because then you are guaranteed to win, but only if those numbers are drawn. Notice that it's a big if, because the chances that it will happen are very slim. That  supposed improvement in the odds is offset by the much more likely chance that some other numbers will be drawn. The tradeoff of the "improved" odds if the conditions imposed by the wheel are met is the zero chance of winning if those conditions aren't met. In a random game of chance your odds are strictly a function of the odds of the game and how many chances you have.

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7322 Posts
          Posted: January 9, 2010, 8:47 am - IP Logged

A friend of mine has worked out a system on the lottery where by she has reduced the odds from nearly 14.000.000 to 1 down to 17.000 to 1,

That’s 822 times easer to win she has just finished working it out, she only plays a few lines at a time each play,

My question is this IS IT POSSAIBLE or is she lying to me, I have been on the internet and found no lotto system in the world that can do that please give me your comments on it thanks sally.

Whether she buys 822 QPs or plays 822 combinations using her own numbers, she has 822 chances out of 13.9 million or 1 chance out of every 17,000 chances. If you look at it another way there are still 13,982,994 combinations she won't have.

"she only plays a few lines at a time each play,"

If she is playing less than 100 combos she certainly doesn't have 1 chance out of 17,000 and "a few lines" means 20 or less to most people. While it's true the odds can be reduced considerably by playing a smaller group of numbers, but it's still conditional on 6 of those numbers being drawn. And as Floyd pointed out, it's a mighty big "IF".

I'm not knocking systems because any system only has to work once to win a multi-million jackpot, but the true odds are based on all the combinations and not on "IFs".

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            49823 Posts
            Posted: January 9, 2010, 10:40 am - IP Logged

When she Wins the Jackpot with a small number of Tickets: You'll Know she's Truthful!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19831 Posts
              Posted: January 9, 2010, 11:04 am - IP Logged

Your friend may actually believe she has such a system and in that case she wouldn't be lying to you even if it not true.  If she has worked out such a system then she should be scoring small wins more often and possible a jackpot real soon. 

It's not unusual for some lottery players  to have such thoughts especially if they have little or no knowledge of math.  I've even read ads of people on the Internet making similar claims trying to sell their systems to the gullible.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United Kingdom
                Member #85102
                January 9, 2010
                8 Posts
                Posted: January 9, 2010, 10:41 pm - IP Logged

Your friend may actually believe she has such a system and in that case she wouldn't be lying to you even if it not true.  If she has worked out such a system then she should be scoring small wins more often and possible a jackpot real soon. 

It's not unusual for some lottery players  to have such thoughts especially if they have little or no knowledge of math.  I've even read ads of people on the Internet making similar claims trying to sell their systems to the gullible.

The game she plays on the lottery is 6/49 in Great Britain there are the odds every one in the country plays by

Match

Estimated winΔ

Approx odds (1 in x)

6 main numbers (jackpot)

£2,000,000

5 main numbers plus bonus ball

£100,000

5 main numbers

£1,500

4 main numbers

£62

3 main numbers

£10

Here is her odds using her system below sorry I got her odds wrong this is what she gave me

Match

Estimated winΔ

Approx odds (1 in x)

6 main numbers (jackpot)

£2.000.000

£100,000

5 main numbers

£1,500

She has only used her system 6 times and she has won 3 times, last night she won on 5 main number couldn’t believe it she won around $3000 dollars she showed me the wining ticket she only plays around 8 line each times as she said that’s all as I need to play, still wont tell me on how she dose it, what she did say every number has a equal chance of coming out even if that number hasten come out in 50 play you can not disregard it, she has a funny hobby I think its funny anyway she likes working out mathematics complex puzzles she said I would never sell or show people how to do it that would be silly only a fool would do that

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                  adelaide sa
                  Australia
                  Member #37136
                  April 11, 2006
                  3300 Posts
                  Posted: January 9, 2010, 11:17 pm - IP Logged

yea shes prob telling the truth. buy an extra ticket you double your chance, ie half your odds. repeat untill the odds are 1 in 17k .

so

2 tickets 1 i 7 mill

4 tickets 1 in 3.5 mill

8 tickets 1 in 1.75 mill

16 tickets 1 in 870k

32 tickets 1 in 435k

64 tickets 1 in 220k

wow not quite the few lines she was talking about but that is  the general principle,.  then there is wheeling what she is prob doing, as bobp pointed out selkect 12 numbers and wheel those in 8 lines, if 6 come out in your 12 you guranteed a 4 line win.

all i can think is she is lucky.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10354 Posts
                    Posted: January 9, 2010, 11:32 pm - IP Logged

savagegoose

"

yea shes prob telling the truth. buy an extra ticket you double yourchance, ie half your odds. repeat untill the odds are 1 in 17k .

so

2 tickets 1 i 7 mill

4 tickets 1 in 3.5 mill

8 tickets 1 in 1.75 mill

16 tickets 1 in 870k

32 tickets 1 in 435k

64 tickets 1 in 220k"

Well why stop there? Just get enought people to kick in enough money so you actually have the odds down to an even money bet, or better yet, go a few more bucks and put them in your favor!!!

Oh, that's right, "half your odds" is a fairy tale and the truth is each additional set of numbers played only reduces the possible combinations not played by one.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19831 Posts
                      Posted: January 9, 2010, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

savagegoose

"

yea shes prob telling the truth. buy an extra ticket you double yourchance, ie half your odds. repeat untill the odds are 1 in 17k .

so

2 tickets 1 i 7 mill

4 tickets 1 in 3.5 mill

8 tickets 1 in 1.75 mill

16 tickets 1 in 870k

32 tickets 1 in 435k

64 tickets 1 in 220k"

Well why stop there? Just get enought people to kick in enough money so you actually have the odds down to an even money bet, or better yet, go a few more bucks and put them in your favor!!!

Oh, that's right, "half your odds" is a fairy tale and the truth is each additional set of numbers played only reduces the possible combinations not played by one.

That only true if you're talking about matching 6, if you're talking about matching 5 then you've covered an additional 6 combinations of fives and if you're talking about matching 4 then there a good chance you've covered an additional 15 combinations of fours.

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19831 Posts
                        Posted: January 9, 2010, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

She has only used her system 6 times and she has won 3 times, last night she won on 5 main number couldn’t believe it she won around $3000 dollars she showed me the wining ticket she only plays around 8 line each times as she said that’s all as I need to play, still wont tell me on how she dose it, what she did say every number has a equal chance of coming out even if that number hasten come out in 50 play you can not disregard it, she has a funny hobby I think its funny anyway she likes working out mathematics complex puzzles she said I would never sell or show people how to do it that would be silly only a fool would do that

Sounds like she has a winner.  Maybe someday you'll be able to say you have a friend who won a lottery jackpot.

Evil Looking       

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                          Tx
                          United States
                          Member #4570
                          May 4, 2004
                          5180 Posts
                          Posted: January 10, 2010, 12:01 am - IP Logged

The game she plays on the lottery is 6/49 in Great Britain there are the odds every one in the country plays by

Match

Estimated winΔ

Approx odds (1 in x)

6 main numbers (jackpot)

£2,000,000

£100,000

5 main numbers

£1,500

4 main numbers

£62

3 main numbers

£10

Here is her odds using her system below sorry I got her odds wrong this is what she gave me

Match

Estimated winΔ

Approx odds (1 in x)

6 main numbers (jackpot)

£2.000.000

£100,000

5 main numbers

£1,500

Latest winning numbers for UK National Lotto HotPicks
                           Draw Date       Results
                          Sat, Jan 09, 2010      20-24-33-34-37-48
                          Wed, Jan 06, 2010    04-16-18-43-45-49
                          Sat, Jan 02, 2010      26-29-30-42-43-47
                          Wed, Dec 30, 2009    05-14-27-29-34-35
                          Sat, Dec 26, 2009      02-08-23-25-36-42
                          Wed, Dec 23, 2009    15-18-26-32-36-37
                          Sat, Dec 19, 2009      01-20-28-33-40-45
                          Wed, Dec 16, 2009    02-20-34-35-40-44
                          Sat, Dec 12, 2009      03-13-22-23-39-45
                          Wed, Dec 9, 2009      05-13-31-36-40-41

Possible I guess, but the question would be:

Just how often would she win if she played all 17,500 lines each draw.

Or How long would it take here to win once, if she played that many lines on each draw or after she played those line whenever she played them even if not on each draw, or How many times would she have to play 17,500 before she wins the jackpot.

Reduction is possible, but the more reduction the less the chance of winning.

At least, it is a 6/49 game, that by itself is a very big +

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10354 Posts
                            Posted: January 10, 2010, 12:54 am - IP Logged

RJOH,

The chart savagegoose posted was about cutting the odds of hitting 6 of 6 in half.

LANTERN,

Who plays 17,500 lines each draw? And as for how many times 17,500 lines would have to be played before winning a jackpot, the person would go broke in the attempt if they didn't hit right away.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                              Dump Water Florida
                              United States
                              Member #380
                              June 5, 2002
                              3104 Posts
                              Posted: January 10, 2010, 1:16 am - IP Logged

savagegoose

"

so

2 tickets 1 i 7 mill

4 tickets 1 in 3.5 mill

8 tickets 1 in 1.75 mill

16 tickets 1 in 870k

32 tickets 1 in 435k

64 tickets 1 in 220k"

There is a mid point where the odds improvement ratio goes into decline.

If you continue the progression you end with
                              13.9 tickets in 1 (chance to win) so in that sense it works.

BobP