Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

thought of how to respond to beggars when i win the big one.

Topic closed. 79 replies. Last post 7 years ago by ca-dreamin*.

Page 6 of 6
PrintE-mailLink
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: February 20, 2010, 1:11 am - IP Logged

There's a mighty LOT of domestic ones, if the truth be known.

Ahhh, LadyMylena, I love that woman like a hog loves slop. (That's considered romantic in East Tennessee)

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

NYSlugger 777's avatar - 777
    NY
    United States
    Member #54513
    August 21, 2007
    6371 Posts
    Posted: February 20, 2010, 1:31 am - IP Logged

as people get shirty if you dont give em anything when the come a'beggin my plan is to carry a load of $1 lottery tickets in the hardest to win lottos available.

ill carry in a wallet. when confranted i will say i have something for you, and pull out the wallet,  grab a ticket and hand it over, "  here you are good luck with that. "

if they show any ingratitude i will snatch it back saying

" i gave you the exact opportunity i had and you sneer at it , you are not really needy are you ? "

A percentage of beggars are likely drug addicts who would take your money and use it to support their addiction.I wouldnt waste my time to buy tickets or  give a beggar  my money who would use it on that, when I could use the money myself to buy some quick picksYes Nod

LadyMylena's avatar - avatar6 1.jpg
      Kansas
      United States
      Member #83963
      December 19, 2009
      347 Posts
      Posted: February 20, 2010, 1:32 am - IP Logged

Ahhh, LadyMylena, I love that woman like a hog loves slop. (That's considered romantic in East Tennessee)

Woohoo! You're really turning on the charm, now, fella! lol

Luck is  ** believing  ** you're lucky.” ~Tennessee Williams

Money is neither my god nor my devil. It is a form of energy that tends to make us more of who we already are, whether it's greedy or loving.  ~ Dan Millman

Milwaukee, WI
        United States
        Member #3131
        December 27, 2003
        665 Posts
        Posted: February 20, 2010, 6:44 am - IP Logged

I would give out a card.

I would have a charitable foundation, that does not accept donations or individual requests.

I would find GOOD groups that do the individual giving...

There are GGOD people out there in REAL need.

Although I would make sure that I'm taken care of, I will NOT live stupidly.  NO $10,000 bottles of wine etc etc...

I would live in a nice big piece of land so I can live in peace.

MarkP

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
          Chicago
          United States
          Member #70678
          February 8, 2009
          889 Posts
          Posted: February 20, 2010, 9:38 pm - IP Logged

When I think of the word Beggars, I define it like the dictionary.  If I won the big one, I can't imagine having a 

problem with beggars.  Many cities now have laws forbiding begging.  Its not that hard to avoid for the most

part.  And I doubt if winning millions, and I lived in a poor section of town, that I wouldn't move into a better

area.  Believe me, beggars will never be a problems, maybe some change or a couple of bucks.  For the most

part, your not really talking about beggars.

Your talking about family, co-workers, con men, charities, moochers, leaches, looters, lawyers, churches ,

brokers.  These are the one's you have to watch for, they will take it all, if you let them.  Don't confuse the two.

Although I agree it's the family, co-workers, etc that you really have to watch out for not all states allow you to claim anonymously.  The beggars will recognize you as easily as anyone else. Even if you move people like to talk.

I'm not sure where you live  but I live in Chicago and beggars are everywhere. I've been approached inside MC D's as well as Burger King. People I know have been approached on the train as well as the bus. Plus there are always people waiting outside the grocery store and I know one guy who waits outside the door leading into a city parking garage.  And I think Chicago has laws forbidding begging.