Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:52 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

thought of how to respond to beggars when i win the big one.

Topic closed. 79 replies. Last post 7 years ago by ca-dreamin*.

Page 3 of 6
PrintE-mailLink
hoping2winbig's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
Nebraska
United States
Member #72306
March 15, 2009
289 Posts
Posted: February 12, 2010, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

Cold and heartless ? I guess you didn't read about the guy who won a jackpot in Florida , they just dug up from under a slab of concrete eh ?  I will continue doing endless good deeds after my win but in a larger way and definitly anonymously ( I wouldn't be able to do it under concrete ).

Pretty cold and heartless to send so much negitivity to LP members wishing them not to win .  Unhappy

May god bless you.

Cancun
    Mexico
    Member #86750
    February 9, 2010
    4 Posts
    Posted: February 12, 2010, 11:54 pm - IP Logged

Isn't the behavior you described cruel, selfish...?

I wonder what would you do if you run into a guy who just won a shipful of cash...

Well, as I really don't know how I will behave in the rather remote occurrence in which I win enough money to join the ranks of the fabulously wealthy...

I am so eager to know...

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
      Member #47420
      November 4, 2006
      3930 Posts
      Posted: February 13, 2010, 6:36 am - IP Logged

Its kind of hard reading all these comments.  They seem cold and heartless.  If winning the lottery, can

turn you into the type of people you describe, then my hope is you never win.  You will have lost your

soul and humanity.  You will have become the poorest of the poor.

gsc5..You have no idea what to expect after you win millions..I guess you haven't heard of all the horror stories that has happen..You will be swamped with people asking and begging for money,family matters included,you just can't give them enough in thier eyes because you are blood..I remember the first time some woman in Fla hit millions when the lottery statred there people would roll thier children in her yard in wheelchairs tugging at her heart..If you want to give handouts to eveyone who knocks at your door more power to you..There have been people who hit millions then after say they wish they would have torn the ticket up..Good luck if you hit you will need it......

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
        Chicago
        United States
        Member #70678
        February 8, 2009
        889 Posts
        Posted: February 13, 2010, 12:48 pm - IP Logged

Its kind of hard reading all these comments.  They seem cold and heartless.  If winning the lottery, can

turn you into the type of people you describe, then my hope is you never win.  You will have lost your

soul and humanity.  You will have become the poorest of the poor.

I guess you don't live in the real world!

I can't tell you how many times I've been stopped by people on the street begging me for money because they see me in my postal uniform and assume I must have money.

I can't tell you how many times I've been eating in a fast food resturant and had someone walk up to me begging for money.

And then there's the I'm from out of town and I'm out of gas.....or my car was towed and I just need 20 more dollars. I can't tell you how many times I've heard these lines.

More than once I've heard other people mention seeing someone begging for money because they say they're hungry yet when offered to go inside and get food they say no.

Then there's the same faces I see outside my work.....at the grocery store....by the movie theater.....and don't forget the on/off ramps for the freeway...all begging for money. Why get a job when you can get money tax free?

Then there are people like my own daughter who was in no way homeless or starving but would stand in front of the liquor store begging for money to buy cigarettes and/or illegal substances.

And of course I have to mention the lady (I used to work with) who used to say If I won the lottery I had to buy her a new truck because she prayed that I would win. 

Ok and this is without even winning the lottery!

So......now can you imagine what would happen if I won the lottery and people knew that I won?

Winning the lottery doesn't in any way obligate you to have to give any of it away......LOL with the exception of Uncle Sam.

I don't see the comments as cold and heartless....simply people thinking of ways to protect themselves. Don't believe everything you hear......especially when it comes to other people asking/begging for money.

United States
          Member #47420
          November 4, 2006
          3930 Posts
          Posted: February 13, 2010, 1:29 pm - IP Logged

I can't tell you how many times I've been stopped by people on the street begging me for money because they see me in my postal uniform and assume I must have money.

I can't tell you how many times I've been eating in a fast food resturant and had someone walk up to me begging for money.

And then there's the I'm from out of town and I'm out of gas.....or my car was towed and I just need 20 more dollars. I can't tell you how many times I've heard these lines.

More than once I've heard other people mention seeing someone begging for money because they say they're hungry yet when offered to go inside and get food they say no.

Then there's the same faces I see outside my work.....at the grocery store....by the movie theater.....and don't forget the on/off ramps for the freeway...all begging for money. Why get a job when you can get money tax free?

Then there are people like my own daughter who was in no way homeless or starving but would stand in front of the liquor store begging for money to buy cigarettes and/or illegal substances.

And of course I have to mention the lady (I used to work with) who used to say If I won the lottery I had to buy her a new truck because she prayed that I would win. 

So......now can you imagine what would happen if I won the lottery and people knew that I won?

Winning the lottery doesn't in any way obligate you to have to give any of it away......LOL with the exception of Uncle Sam.

I don't see the comments as cold and heartless....simply people thinking of ways to protect themselves. Don't believe everything you hear......especially when it comes to other people asking/begging for money.

Thanks a good post from a retired mail carrier..Good luck..If we ever hit big we are moving..Maybe that's cold but it's our choice..

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #56506
            November 21, 2007
            6537 Posts
            Posted: February 13, 2010, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

Well said ca-dreamin! People here aren't being cold and heartless, we are being realistic. If Mr. Shakespeare (the lottery winner who was murdered in Florida) had said no to people and hadn't been so giving and trusting, he may still be alive.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
              Member #32537
              February 12, 2006
              698 Posts
              Posted: February 13, 2010, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

here some other ideas if you cant be unknow lotto winner in the first place

hire a body guard or 2 for the first few months atfer a big win

where ever you go in public, they are with you, they can tell the beggers No for you

if anyone wants to talk to you, they have to go thro your  personal assistant

who can make sure only people who matter to you get to talk to you 

wear  t shirts with these images

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                Member #52345
                May 21, 2007
                2657 Posts
                Posted: February 13, 2010, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

here some other ideas if you cant be unknow lotto winner in the first place

hire a body guard or 2 for the first few months atfer a big win

where ever you go in public, they are with you, they can tell the beggers No for you

if anyone wants to talk to you, they have to go thro your  personal assistant

who can make sure only people who matter to you get to talk to you 

wear  t shirts with these images

Green laughI'll have to save these but then am lucky enough to have friends in the funeral biz

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: February 13, 2010, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

Thanks a good post from a retired mail carrier..Good luck..If we ever hit big we are moving..Maybe that's cold but it's our choice..

I think mail carriers should have to share with everybody. Everybody knows they're loaded anyway. Especially the retired ones with those big fat government pensions.

Let's share the wealth!

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
                    Member #47420
                    November 4, 2006
                    3930 Posts
                    Posted: February 13, 2010, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

I think mail carriers should have to share with everybody. Everybody knows they're loaded anyway. Especially the retired ones with those big fat government pensions.

Let's share the wealth!

HAHAHAHAHAHA..After that one I need to retire for the night$$$$$$$$$$..nite nite

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: February 13, 2010, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

HAHAHAHAHAHA..After that one I need to retire for the night$$$$$$$$$$..nite nite

C'mon now ca-dreamin* and tiggs. Y'all be happy like a fat rat in a cheese house. Mr Charlie said he gonna spread the wealth around. I'm still waitin'!

--Edmund Burke

United States
                        Member #47420
                        November 4, 2006
                        3930 Posts
                        Posted: February 13, 2010, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

C'mon now ca-dreamin* and tiggs. Y'all be happy like a fat rat in a cheese house. Mr Charlie said he gonna spread the wealth around. I'm still waitin'!

Your getting to sound like Obama,you any kin?..When I left the PO I took an early out and they gave me 16,000.00 and a small pension to leave and I left..I spent the money so I can't very well spread it around but when I bust a big one,*jrosina*,I just might do that...just a little here and a little there..I'll give the time place and date when that happens..Yeah that's what I'll do....:)

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: February 13, 2010, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

Dadgum it tiggs, you said you wuz takin' your Metamucil and goin' to bed!

Me and Rosey wuz just gettin' ready to start talkin' about you!

--Edmund Burke

United States
                            Member #47420
                            November 4, 2006
                            3930 Posts
                            Posted: February 13, 2010, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

Dadgum it tiggs, you said you wuz takin' your Metamucil and goin' to bed!

Me and Rosey wuz just gettin' ready to start talkin' about you!

Sneaky huh..I got up to watch the drawing tonight..I feel a big winner coming on..Then it will be beddy byes..Excuse me while I go count my money before I retire to beddy byes..

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: February 14, 2010, 12:17 am - IP Logged

Sneaky huh..I got up to watch the drawing tonight..I feel a big winner coming on..Then it will be beddy byes..Excuse me while I go count my money before I retire to beddy byes..

Me and you oughta come up with a bucket list in case we win tiggs. Now I don't usually fraternize with yankees but Kentucky is borderline and I know some upstandin' hillbillies from up there so whataya think? As old as you are, what's the difference if you start slammin' Jack now?

--Edmund Burke