Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Does obsession with lottery bother your life?

Topic closed. 107 replies. Last post 7 years ago by jrosina.

Page 1 of 8
PrintE-mailLink
Entertaiment Capital
United States
Member #37800
April 19, 2006
302 Posts
Posted: February 13, 2010, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

Yes, it does. It kinda makes me lazy and unmotivated.

I just got my BFA in illustration and have been working as a TV and Film extra for seven months. The pay sucks, but the job is very seductive. Now I am seriously considering doing fine art paintings for a living. I need a lot of motivation and determination.

And thinking about the lottery makes me lazy and laid back. I am not as obsessed with lottery as before, but thinking about winning makes me lazy as hell. I made up my mind to do a hundred sketches as the basis of my paintings a few days ago, and am trying not to think about lottery at all. It prevents me from focusing on my life.

So I started telling myself that the number dreams were bunk, I will never win anything, and I need to get it together and work on my future career as a painter and illustrator. And a good motivation is the lifeforce to an artist like me. Creativity goes so far, but without motivation, you are just as good as dead.

But...the jackpot amount for MM goes up so fast! Haha...

sully16's avatar - sharan
    Ringleader
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    40422 Posts
    Posted: February 13, 2010, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

no, actually doing my number workouts are quite relaxing.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
      Member #13130
      March 30, 2005
      2171 Posts
      Posted: February 13, 2010, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

My working theory is that winning a jackpot will make me feel all better. Wink

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
      Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

CA
        United States
        Member #84266
        December 26, 2009
        410 Posts
        Posted: February 13, 2010, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

I just got my BFA in illustration and have been working as a TV and Film extra for seven months. The pay sucks, but the job is very seductive. Now I am seriously considering doing fine art paintings for a living. I need a lot of motivation and determination.

And thinking about the lottery makes me lazy and laid back. I am not as obsessed with lottery as before, but thinking about winning makes me lazy as hell. I made up my mind to do a hundred sketches as the basis of my paintings a few days ago, and am trying not to think about lottery at all. It prevents me from focusing on my life.

So I started telling myself that the number dreams were bunk, I will never win anything, and I need to get it together and work on my future career as a painter and illustrator. And a good motivation is the lifeforce to an artist like me. Creativity goes so far, but without motivation, you are just as good as dead.

I am in a similar situation but unlike you I have no art talent whatsoever. I used to be a cook working at a restaurant but have decided to pursue an art degree. I quit my job (mistake #1) before getting a new one. I got another cooking job but decided not to stay. (Mistake #2) I start school in about 2 weeks and I've been looking for a non cooking job for 3 months with no luck since I have no other skills beyond the basic computer skills.

And like you the lottery is making me very unmotivated and unfocused to do anything else. I've been playing the lottery a lot more since I quit my job. My current mentality is that winning the jackpot is my only way to a happy life. The only working talent I have is cooking but I don't want to cook professionally. You don't get paid as much as other less demanding jobs. I want to get into the graphic design field but I lack the talent. The field is also very competitive and someone like me with no talent will have a hard time getting a job that pays well.

I'm almost broke and will have to start borrowing money from my sister which I don't want to do. I know that I have other options like sucking it up and going back to being a cook and be miserable or get part time jobs but winning the jackpot is without a doubt the best one. Lol.

I'm 23 and I have friends that still live with their parents that don't have to worry about bills or rent and I just feel that I should get a break. I decided to get into the culinary field when I was a junior in HS and started culinary school right after HS. I was actually proud of myself for "knowing" what I wanted to do in life but in hindsight this was a mistake as I didn't allow myself to explore my options. I started working at 19 and I've been paying my part ever since. And I only pay 1/3 of the total expenses because I can't afford my 1/2 with a cook's salary. I live with my sister in the same apartment that we've lived in for 13 years and I don't know where I would be if it wasn't for her.

Entertaiment Capital
          United States
          Member #37800
          April 19, 2006
          302 Posts
          Posted: February 13, 2010, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

I am in a similar situation but unlike you I have no art talent whatsoever. I used to be a cook working at a restaurant but have decided to pursue an art degree. I quit my job (mistake #1) before getting a new one. I got another cooking job but decided not to stay. (Mistake #2) I start school in about 2 weeks and I've been looking for a non cooking job for 3 months with no luck since I have no other skills beyond the basic computer skills.

And like you the lottery is making me very unmotivated and unfocused to do anything else. I've been playing the lottery a lot more since I quit my job. My current mentality is that winning the jackpot is my only way to a happy life. The only working talent I have is cooking but I don't want to cook professionally. You don't get paid as much as other less demanding jobs. I want to get into the graphic design field but I lack the talent. The field is also very competitive and someone like me with no talent will have a hard time getting a job that pays well.

I'm almost broke and will have to start borrowing money from my sister which I don't want to do. I know that I have other options like sucking it up and going back to being a cook and be miserable or get part time jobs but winning the jackpot is without a doubt the best one. Lol.

I'm 23 and I have friends that still live with their parents that don't have to worry about bills or rent and I just feel that I should get a break. I decided to get into the culinary field when I was a junior in HS and started culinary school right after HS. I was actually proud of myself for "knowing" what I wanted to do in life but in hindsight this was a mistake as I didn't allow myself to explore my options. I started working at 19 and I've been paying my part ever since. And I only pay 1/3 of the total expenses because I can't afford my 1/2 with a cook's salary. I live with my sister in the same apartment that we've lived in for 13 years and I don't know where I would be if it wasn't for her.

That's the thing. Belief that winning a jackpot is the only way to a happy life is the destructive blow to your motivation. Now I am getting out of it and as long as I can have a good career I won't give a rat's ass about lotteries.

New York,
            Panama
            Member #73078
            April 4, 2009
            3490 Posts
            Posted: February 13, 2010, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

Well, I don't know about lazy if anything it keeps me hoping!  first the numbers come out For me that would be Pick3 and Pick4... that is what I know and I am very happy winning a smaller amount regularly than churning the MM,  PB or Lotto Jackpot Cow, and getting no milk.  okay.  

Then you  get mad at yourself for not seeing "that one!" You know the one you saw in the work out and you said. "nah"  or your busy being  happy that you nailed it.  

However you can't rest on that win... you have to move on, so you settle down and do your work-out for the evening or the next day win (depending if you hit big, or hit small) Then you have to see what comes out in the evening!  Doing all this and still taking care of your other obligations.  No.. it far from make me lazy... uupsy.. time ran out, I have to go put my numbers In... see what I mean? Lol.

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10351 Posts
              Posted: February 13, 2010, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

Q. What do golf, gambling in general, and the lottery have in common?

A. Most of the participants suck at it.

Fill in your own choice for the blank;

"I play @#!$%^&  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ becuase it realxes me and I @!#$!*& it"

Green laugh

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
                Connecticut
                United States
                Member #61623
                May 29, 2008
                20581 Posts
                Posted: February 13, 2010, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

no, actually doing my number workouts are quite relaxing.

I Agree!

...posting and figuring numbers are the equivelent of doing a crossword puzzle or reading a book.

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: February 13, 2010, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

No, it's just a fun hobby to me with possible life-changing benefits. I don't spend enough to make me mad or broke if I don't win so it's all fun.

I have to admit getting nothing on a $20 scratcher does irk me a little but I don't buy them often. I did buy one yesterday and one today though and won $30 on both of them.  (TN Millionaire Jumbo Bucks). I put the $10 I won from each on PB and MM multi-draw QP's.

It's a lock.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                    Chicago
                    United States
                    Member #70678
                    February 8, 2009
                    889 Posts
                    Posted: February 14, 2010, 11:27 am - IP Logged

First of all I'm happy to say that I'm not obsessed with the lottery and doing the workouts to pick numbers feels good because it puts my mind to use.

Ambelamba if you don't already have the motivation and determination to do fine art paintings then maybe this should be something you do on the side. Forcing yourself to be motivated may not produce the best artwork.

I've been reading alot of metaphysical books and although I don't think your into this stuff one message keeps coming thru......"Your thoughts become your reality".  Long before I read these books  I would read about people who would win alot of sweepstakes and when asked would say they considered themselves lucky.  People who didn't win would always say they weren't lucky and never won anything. 

So stop telling yourself the number dreams were bunk and that you'll never win and most of all don't be so hard on yourse

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                      Chicago
                      United States
                      Member #70678
                      February 8, 2009
                      889 Posts
                      Posted: February 14, 2010, 11:56 am - IP Logged

badboy don't be so hard on yourself either!

You should still be proud of yourself for "knowing" what you wanted to do......don't look at it as a mistake.  When I graduated from high school I had no desire to go to college and at the same time had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do with my life. On top of that throughout the years I've had people ask me what my hopes and dreams were for the future and I had no idea!

At 23 you still have plenty of time to explore your options and LOL  I'm sure the ladies (your sister included) love the fact that you know how to cook!

One thing I've learned in life is that as I continue to experience new things(and sometimes the same old things) my views change.....my priorities change. LOl and it's probably a good thang hahaha.......

Raven62's avatar - binary
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #17843
                        June 28, 2005
                        49725 Posts
                        Posted: February 14, 2010, 12:42 pm - IP Logged

Considering the Odds against Winning: People need to be realistic about Winning:

Could I Win? Yeah!

Will I Win? Probably Not!

OK! So I'm not going to Win the Lottery and fix by life: What now?

Humans are different from other species: They are social beings that have developed skills of communucation: This communication allows humans to learn from other humans rather than reinventing the wheel with each generation. (Necessity is the mother of invention)

Any number of humans that came before us can teach and inspire us in our life, but only you can receive the knowledge and inspiration into your life. (You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink) The choice is one that you have to make: No one else can make the choice for You.

Time is one of the most valuable commodities that we have. Each day we should run with purpose in every step, and remember that we all have the same amount of time to use. If we use our energy for the wrong purposes, we're not going to have the energy we need for the right purposes. We're not going to make the best decisions. We're not going to be as creative with our gifts, and our talents won't come out to their fullest. Part of living purposeful is to keep distractions from robbing our energy. Like the sun shines brightly each day, that is how we ought to be; we shouldn't let anything block our light. With this gift of life comes a responsibility to develop our talents, to pursue our goals, and to become everything that we can be. On a regular basis, reevaluate what you're doing and how you're spending your time. Refocus your life. Let go of any distractions. Shake off any self-pity, discouragement, disappointments and run your race with purpose. If you'll run with purpose in every step, accepting and appreciating the gift of life, and the time that you have to live it, then one day you will be able to say: "I have no regrets. I have spent my life well."

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

sully16's avatar - sharan
                          Ringleader
                          Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #81740
                          October 28, 2009
                          40422 Posts
                          Posted: February 19, 2010, 10:27 am - IP Logged

Considering the Odds against Winning: People need to be realistic about Winning:

Could I Win? Yeah!

Will I Win? Probably Not!

OK! So I'm not going to Win the Lottery and fix by life: What now?

Humans are different from other species: They are social beings that have developed skills of communucation: This communication allows humans to learn from other humans rather than reinventing the wheel with each generation. (Necessity is the mother of invention)

Any number of humans that came before us can teach and inspire us in our life, but only you can receive the knowledge and inspiration into your life. (You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink) The choice is one that you have to make: No one else can make the choice for You.

Time is one of the most valuable commodities that we have. Each day we should run with purpose in every step, and remember that we all have the same amount of time to use. If we use our energy for the wrong purposes, we're not going to have the energy we need for the right purposes. We're not going to make the best decisions. We're not going to be as creative with our gifts, and our talents won't come out to their fullest. Part of living purposeful is to keep distractions from robbing our energy. Like the sun shines brightly each day, that is how we ought to be; we shouldn't let anything block our light. With this gift of life comes a responsibility to develop our talents, to pursue our goals, and to become everything that we can be. On a regular basis, reevaluate what you're doing and how you're spending your time. Refocus your life. Let go of any distractions. Shake off any self-pity, discouragement, disappointments and run your race with purpose. If you'll run with purpose in every step, accepting and appreciating the gift of life, and the time that you have to live it, then one day you will be able to say: "I have no regrets. I have spent my life well."

well said raven62

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Honduras
                            Member #20982
                            August 29, 2005
                            4715 Posts
                            Posted: February 19, 2010, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

It does specially when you realize that that´s not what i want to do for the rest of my life...I´ve mentioned before that i´ll like to track another form of randomness and a prediction website if i win and is true but i wasnt going to dedicate my entire time to it or do them myself or other projects i was going to let some people either family member, friend or just hire people to do it...Imagine now if i had a 2, 3, 5 kids...Again there are SO MANY stuff i want to do that i could not do them by myself...1 or 2 things i´ll do myself the rest some people will have to work for me and do them...

I wanted to study microbiology, science, learn astronomy, read fantasy novels, science fiction novels, genetic ingeneering research, send all of my family to college, get a minor in statistics & probability, learn psychology, psychiatry, etc, etc...Again there are so many stuff...WAnted to learn math but is too much of a load...Research other forms of randomness...

Sometimes i hate: kids who are rich or super rich that inherited the money...Because many of them all they think about is party, getting a mansion...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

Honduras
                              Member #20982
                              August 29, 2005
                              4715 Posts
                              Posted: February 19, 2010, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

The lottery STILL dont want to believe me that there should be some kind of Powerball numbers I.D or cameras watching who plays and who doesnt so that certain people have preferrence, so that they make certain people who want to win and would not waste it win...Congress and Senate makes me mad because when they should be using their insights they dont, when they should be corrupted they are not...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨