Winner of airline lottery eats winning ticket

Mar 1, 2010, 2:04 pm (33 comments)

Insider Buzz

Yes, that's right, he ate the winning ticket

A passenger flying on a Ryanair flight Thursday from Krakow, Poland, to the U.K.'s East Midlands airport ate a winning lottery ticket worth 10,000 euros ($15,000) when he was told he could not claim the prize mid-flight.

The cabin crew advised the winner that he would have to redeem the winning ticket directly with the company that runs the lottery, as it was such a large sum.

The passenger proceeded to become so irate that he ate the winning ticket.

The unusual in-flight meal turned out to be very expensive, as the consumption of the lottery ticket invalidated his claim.

The airline was asking visitors to its website to decide which charity should get the €10,000 prize.

"Passengers have always been delighted to claim their large cash prizes after returning home," Ryanair spokesman Stephen McNamara said.

"Unfortunately our latest winner felt that we should have his €10,000 prize kicking around on the aircraft."

Ryanair and Brand Force, the scratch card company, have decided to offer the cash prize to charity and have asked Ryanair passengers to vote on the Ryanair Web site (www.ryanair.com) for which type of charity Ryanair should donate the €10,000 prize to.  The online poll closes March 5.

The possible choices for the charity are:

1. An Anger Management Charity
  2. An Eating Disorder Charity
  3. A Gamblers Charity
  4. A Disruptive Children's Charity
  5. A Mental Health Charity

"Crew tried to stop the air Gourmet Scratch Card eater by offering him one of our great tasting sandwiches, pizzas or snacks instead, but clearly he had much more expensive tastes," McNamara quipped.

"Ryanair is now asking passengers to vote on which type of charity Ryanair should donate the €10,000 prize money to with one charity from anger management, eating and digestive disorders to disruptive children's and mental health charities now set to benefit from a real meal ticket."

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

MADDOG10's avatarMADDOG10

What a M O R O N.......!

Hope it tasted like Caviar....... Bang Head

coolmoney

Quote: Originally posted by MADDOG10 on Mar 1, 2010

What a M O R O N.......!

Hope it tasted like Caviar....... Bang Head

Yeah, this man was crazy, he didn't deserve the money acting like that, I hope the money goes to a good charity and helps those who need it.

onenumber's avataronenumber

Stupid!!  I hope he feels like an idiot!

konane's avatarkonane

ThudLost cabin pressure inside his head maybe????

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

So, he ate a ticket worth $15,000 because he couldn't wait to get it cashed? What a loon. Well, at least a charity will be able to benefit from all this.

billyloco

H I L A R I O U S!!!!!!!!!!

Set4life's avatarSet4life

Hmmm very fishyDead

Kobra

what an idiot.  seriously i thought they were going to give him $15,000 on the plane???  h3ll i wouldn want anyone knowing i had 15,000 on meCool

sully16's avatarsully16

Thats a very expensive BM.

jrosina's avatarjrosina

Anger rests in the Bosom of Fools! You have to go to Stupid-fool-School to be that Foolish!!Chair

Guru101's avatarGuru101

What a fool.Hit With Stick

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

wow, and the way I'm broke?! That money was enough for me to attend the 2010 FIFA world cup finals in South Africa this summerUnhappy

Play-girl's avatarPlay-girl

(In My Fred Sanford Voice) U Big Dummy!!

JAP69's avatarJAP69

The guy probably figured he was going to mictuate it away anyhow. Might as well do it right.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Play-girl on Mar 1, 2010

(In My Fred Sanford Voice) U Big Dummy!!

What happens if they give the money to a charity and he then shows up with the ticket which he swallowed in one piece?

Hope they have latex gloves and a lot of Lysol and nose plugs.

catsrule's avatarcatsrule

People these days!! What a loon!!

Ladee's avatarLadee

STUPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID!!!!!!!!

joker17

I'm totally speechless.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

After seeing the first two choices for charities, I thought maybe Todd got confused and thought it was April already. Somebody at Ryan Air obviously has a good sense of humor.

grave

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Mar 1, 2010

What happens if they give the money to a charity and he then shows up with the ticket which he swallowed in one piece?

ROFL  good one.... but this is one funny story i must say..... there is no way in the world no matter how mad i was would i eat a lottery ticket worth that much or any amount for that matter..

SmoothJuice

.....a classic sample of what money does to us.........it makes us two-faced!!!

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

this guy is a legend in my book. the  love of money and all that. its his winnings do what he wants with it. personally i would have waited, but ewhatever its his ticket, he did what he wanted and zachievd more fame than if he had just claimed the prize.

LEGEND i say

Hermanus104's avatarHermanus104

This is a very interesting man. I wonder if he realized before he ate the ticket that he would not be able to claim it if he ate it. 

Maybe he needed the 10,000 Euros because he had no cash on him and he needed to buy food.

ncpowerplayer's avatarncpowerplayer

Boy, I'm sure he really impressed the passengers.  I'm surprised someone didn't wrestle him for it.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

So ......... if I would win tonight ......... I would eat the ticket, if I can't get the money until I go to lottery headquarters to validate it and cash it in ?!?!?!?!?!

Ding Cuckoo, Ding Cuckoo, Ding Cuckoo, Ding Cuckoo ........................ Bash

I have a plan (if I win) ROFLCool

Grovel's avatarGrovel

XD! He showed them!

ca-dreamin*'s avatarca-dreamin*

Quote: Originally posted by SmoothJuice on Mar 2, 2010

.....a classic sample of what money does to us.........it makes us two-faced!!!

HAHAHA he was too STUPID to ever make it to "two-faced"

Dollar419's avatarDollar419

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Mar 1, 2010

Stupid is, as stupid does--in my Forrest Gump/Bubba voice--just when I thought people couldn't get any stupid--it seems there are other people who seem to cross the line big timeSmash

sully16's avatarsully16

I wonder if 9 out of 10 lottery officials recommend eating the winning tickets.

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on Mar 2, 2010

I wonder if 9 out of 10 lottery officials recommend eating the winning tickets.

No, I don't think so, because according to the article ... "Crew tried to stop the air Gourmet Scratch Card eater by offering him one of our great tasting sandwiches, pizzas or snacks instead, but clearly he had much more expensive tastes," McNamara quipped.

Idea

Now, we LotteryPost members would never not allow passive income; because we have well worked out plans for when our sweapstakes and lottery income flows into our lives! Lovies

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

"Stupid"defined- The lack of full awareness on a subject or a lack of knowledge/expertise in action.

So far 99% of  the public falls under that category.

I prefer to consider the man less then realistic in his action and irrational to common reasoning.

Technically it was a piece of paper, plain and simple, as were his actions...

PS: Loved the poster that did the Sanford remark, I used to love that show LOL!!!

LadyMylena's avatarLadyMylena

LOL @ Sanford. I loved that, too!!!

Now that's impatient.....what a freaking idiot, to eat a ticket.

floridian's avatarfloridian

I am glad the airline has a sense of humor but the money would be utilized better by sending it  to a charity that helps people down on their luck or a health research charity.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story