Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 4:14 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Poll: Jinxing yourself?

Topic closed. 65 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Delta Draw.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

Is posting that you're going to win a jinx?

I think so, that's why I don't do it [ 5 ]  [14.71%]
92,249 members and it hasn't worked yet! [ 5 ]  [14.71%]
Same as announcing a pitcher has a no hitter going [ 2 ]  [5.88%]
Jinx, doorknob [ 2 ]  [5.88%]
I do it to make it happen [ 5 ]  [14.71%]
I say it and other people win, dang [ 5 ]  [14.71%]
It's my hukka. [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
The voices tell me to [ 2 ]  [5.88%]
My supervisor at the lotto tells me to [ 1 ]  [2.94%]
Other [ 7 ]  [20.59%]
Total Valid Votes [ 34 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10390 Posts
Posted: June 3, 2010, 2:46 am - IP Logged

Every time a jackpot gets pumped up invariably someone will post "Tonight I'm going to win the _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ for $ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _."

This hasn't happened yet, so is doing so a jinx?

Thinking to yourself I'm going to iwn is something we all do, and hope for, but is posting "I'm going to win it" a jinx and nothing but smack talk?

Discuss if you will.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

sully16's avatar - sharan
    Ringleader
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    42022 Posts
    Posted: June 3, 2010, 6:52 am - IP Logged

Loose lips sink ships, I try not to mention it at all.

HyperBe Happy.

CutlassBob's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
      Harrison Township Michigan
      United States
      Member #90088
      April 21, 2010
      4265 Posts
      Posted: June 3, 2010, 8:04 am - IP Logged

I voted "other" I guess i just don't believe in the JINX issue.

I believe In Reality, the state of things as they actually exist, rather than as they may appear or may be thought to be.

CutlassBob

P.S. 

Although an Umpire May blow a Call to ruin a perfect game. Detroit Tigers Armando Galarraga (pitcher) got ripped off by Umpire Jim Joyce in last nights 9th inning, 3rd out Blown call!! "No Jinx, Reality all the way" Grrrr

"You can't handle the truth!" Nicholson.

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        51098 Posts
        Posted: June 3, 2010, 8:42 am - IP Logged

Every time a jackpot gets pumped up invariably someone will post "Tonight I'm going to win the _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ for $ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _."

This hasn't happened yet, so is doing so a jinx?

Thinking to yourself I'm going to iwn is something we all do, and hope for, but is posting "I'm going to win it" a jinx and nothing but smack talk?

Discuss if you will.

People who brag about Winning the Jackpot are so annoying because, although we all understand that being positive is a good thing, tooting your own trumpet so loudly that no one else can hear themselves think is unbecoming. We also feel annoyed when we come across a consistent bragger because most of us know that people who need to bolster their esteem at the expense of others on a regular basis are generally insecure.

We are then left to deal with mixed feelings of our own. On the one hand the bragger is so self concerned that we want little to do with them. On the other hand we may feel sorry for them, knowing that they probably really have a low sense of self esteem, despite the bragging which is an attempt to cover this up.

What is especially annoying about people who brag about Winning the Jackpot so much is that there comes a point when we have heard enough. Possibly we are bored, or simply need to move on, but they just keep plugging away, telling us about their future Jackpot Win as though they are attempting to sell themselves to us and their ability to pick the numbers to be drawn.

Then we may experience a dilemma. Do we have the front to speak up and try to silence them? Should we sit tight and hope that they run out of steam while we remain polite? Would tactfully attempting to change the subject hurt their feelings and make us appear rude?

At the end of the day, when faced with a person who brags, we are in an almost impossible position that is difficult to get out of. We have our own needs, which will be overlooked by the bragger, and may find having to put up with the bragging fairly intolerable.

The fact is that a conversation is by rights a two way street, where each person takes a turn at listening and talking. A real conversation gives equal power to both parties involved in a normal, everyday situation. Braggers don't tend to indulge in the unspoken rules which govern two way conversation.

It can also be belittling to spend too much time with a person who is very full of themselves and who boasts about their achievements, material possessions and talents. If you dare mention anything about yourself which you are proud of, the bragger is highly likely to attempt oneupmanship, and so to make light of your own achievements.

For this reason it is very difficult to make a true friendship with a bragger. They just don't make room for you. It's as though they are always the driver, while you are forced to sit in the boot of the vehicle with no control over where you are going.

Probably the best way to deal with such a person is with humor that knocks the seriousness out of their self bolstering claims. A touch of lightheartedness, accompanied by a lack of encouragement will help a bragger to fizzle out of bragging material far faster than simply going with the flow.

Also remember that people who brag are thick skinned. This insensitivity occurs as a defense mechanism. It makes them less emotionally vulnerable, and less penetrable as a result. They are generally unaware that their bragging makes others around them annoyed, and mistakenly believe that people are impressed by their bragging.

The more impressed others appear to be, generally because they are being polite, the more the bragger continues with their behaviour, under the false impression that what they are doing is working as planned. By reacting in a totally non plussed fashion, and by neglecting to fuel their bragging, you can keep it to a minimum.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: June 3, 2010, 8:51 am - IP Logged

People who brag about Winning the Jackpot are so annoying because, although we all understand that being positive is a good thing, tooting your own trumpet so loudly that no one else can hear themselves think is unbecoming. We also feel annoyed when we come across a consistent bragger because most of us know that people who need to bolster their esteem at the expense of others on a regular basis are generally insecure.

We are then left to deal with mixed feelings of our own. On the one hand the bragger is so self concerned that we want little to do with them. On the other hand we may feel sorry for them, knowing that they probably really have a low sense of self esteem, despite the bragging which is an attempt to cover this up.

What is especially annoying about people who brag about Winning the Jackpot so much is that there comes a point when we have heard enough. Possibly we are bored, or simply need to move on, but they just keep plugging away, telling us about their future Jackpot Win as though they are attempting to sell themselves to us and their ability to pick the numbers to be drawn.

Then we may experience a dilemma. Do we have the front to speak up and try to silence them? Should we sit tight and hope that they run out of steam while we remain polite? Would tactfully attempting to change the subject hurt their feelings and make us appear rude?

At the end of the day, when faced with a person who brags, we are in an almost impossible position that is difficult to get out of. We have our own needs, which will be overlooked by the bragger, and may find having to put up with the bragging fairly intolerable.

The fact is that a conversation is by rights a two way street, where each person takes a turn at listening and talking. A real conversation gives equal power to both parties involved in a normal, everyday situation. Braggers don't tend to indulge in the unspoken rules which govern two way conversation.

It can also be belittling to spend too much time with a person who is very full of themselves and who boasts about their achievements, material possessions and talents. If you dare mention anything about yourself which you are proud of, the bragger is highly likely to attempt oneupmanship, and so to make light of your own achievements.

For this reason it is very difficult to make a true friendship with a bragger. They just don't make room for you. It's as though they are always the driver, while you are forced to sit in the boot of the vehicle with no control over where you are going.

Probably the best way to deal with such a person is with humor that knocks the seriousness out of their self bolstering claims. A touch of lightheartedness, accompanied by a lack of encouragement will help a bragger to fizzle out of bragging material far faster than simply going with the flow.

Also remember that people who brag are thick skinned. This insensitivity occurs as a defense mechanism. It makes them less emotionally vulnerable, and less penetrable as a result. They are generally unaware that their bragging makes others around them annoyed, and mistakenly believe that people are impressed by their bragging.

The more impressed others appear to be, generally because they are being polite, the more the bragger continues with their behaviour, under the false impression that what they are doing is working as planned. By reacting in a totally non plussed fashion, and by neglecting to fuel their bragging, you can keep it to a minimum.

Yeah, but I'm gonna win next time, no doubt about it!

It's a lock!

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

sully16's avatar - sharan
            Ringleader
            Michigan
            United States
            Member #81740
            October 28, 2009
            42022 Posts
            Posted: June 3, 2010, 9:04 am - IP Logged

I voted "other" I guess i just don't believe in the JINX issue.

I believe In Reality, the state of things as they actually exist, rather than as they may appear or may be thought to be.

CutlassBob

P.S. 

Although an Umpire May blow a Call to ruin a perfect game. Detroit Tigers Armando Galarraga (pitcher) got ripped off by Umpire Jim Joyce in last nights 9th inning, 3rd out Blown call!! "No Jinx, Reality all the way" Grrrr

I seen it, we didn't dare say the words no-no , Armando said in an interveiw the ump apologized...big whoop.

HyperBe Happy.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
              Member #47420
              November 4, 2006
              3930 Posts
              Posted: June 3, 2010, 9:11 am - IP Logged

Yeah, but I'm gonna win next time, no doubt about it!

It's a lock!

ridge you should know by your age that there are only two locks in life,being born and dying..All the rest in gambling is either good or bad luck..NEXT...

Vergie6's avatar - DSCN5541
                North Carolina
                United States
                Member #59855
                March 29, 2008
                31910 Posts
                Posted: June 3, 2010, 9:13 am - IP Logged

Sometimes I do it to make it happen because it has a few times...yesterday at the midday drawing I was one off of the p3 number so I said I was going to an internet sweepstakes place and win & that is exactly what I did...I won $200 & spent $20 doing it!

United States
                  Member #47420
                  November 4, 2006
                  3930 Posts
                  Posted: June 3, 2010, 9:22 am - IP Logged

Sometimes I do it to make it happen because it has a few times...yesterday at the midday drawing I was one off of the p3 number so I said I was going to an internet sweepstakes place and win & that is exactly what I did...I won $200 & spent $20 doing it!

Sweet!!!....That's what we call "good luck"..Keep it up..

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                    Pennsylvania
                    United States
                    Member #74096
                    May 2, 2009
                    23233 Posts
                    Posted: June 3, 2010, 9:29 am - IP Logged

WTG Vergie!! Good job!!

Party

New York,
                      Panama
                      Member #73078
                      April 4, 2009
                      3490 Posts
                      Posted: June 3, 2010, 10:12 am - IP Logged

LoL....HA! Way to go Vergie!!! No Jinxing here!!!Thumbs Up!

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                        Indiana
                        United States
                        Member #48725
                        January 7, 2007
                        1958 Posts
                        Posted: June 3, 2010, 10:55 am - IP Logged

It's not a jinx for me. It's going to happen. I just haven't caught up to it yet.

Gonna win.Big Smile

four4me's avatar - gate1
                          MD
                          United States
                          Member #1701
                          June 18, 2003
                          8393 Posts
                          Posted: June 3, 2010, 1:44 pm - IP Logged

ever heard the line "Don't count your chickens before they hatch!"

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                            Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
                            Northern Virginia
                            United States
                            Member #83350
                            December 5, 2009
                            1322 Posts
                            Posted: June 3, 2010, 9:33 pm - IP Logged

Sometimes I think I'm a jinx.

I came to the University of Georgia in the fall of 2008, when Georgia had the #1 football team. Since, they fell out of the rankings. Georgia baseball had a similar fate since I have come here. I believe they were #1 at the start of the spring of 2009, and now they were in last place of the conference this season. 

When I went to the College of William and Mary in the fall of 2004, William and Mary had a good football team. Then, they slumped for three years, and this past fall, after I graduated, they made it to the FCS quarterfinals. Maybe my presence at a school makes their football team turn bad.

Also, the one time I would have won $500 playing the Pick-3 was the one time I forgot to play.

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

United States
                              Member #47420
                              November 4, 2006
                              3930 Posts
                              Posted: June 3, 2010, 9:38 pm - IP Logged

Sometimes I think I'm a jinx.

I came to the University of Georgia in the fall of 2008, when Georgia had the #1 football team. Since, they fell out of the rankings. Georgia baseball had a similar fate since I have come here. I believe they were #1 at the start of the spring of 2009, and now they were in last place of the conference this season. 

When I went to the College of William and Mary in the fall of 2004, William and Mary had a good football team. Then, they slumped for three years, and this past fall, after I graduated, they made it to the FCS quarterfinals. Maybe my presence at a school makes their football team turn bad.

Also, the one time I would have won $500 playing the Pick-3 was the one time I forgot to play.

Evil Smile..We have found the reason no one wins on the Lottery Post..