Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 12:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Poll: Jinxing yourself?

Topic closed. 65 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Delta Draw.

Page 5 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

Is posting that you're going to win a jinx?

I think so, that's why I don't do it [ 5 ]  [14.71%]
92,249 members and it hasn't worked yet! [ 5 ]  [14.71%]
Same as announcing a pitcher has a no hitter going [ 2 ]  [5.88%]
Jinx, doorknob [ 2 ]  [5.88%]
I do it to make it happen [ 5 ]  [14.71%]
I say it and other people win, dang [ 5 ]  [14.71%]
It's my hukka. [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
The voices tell me to [ 2 ]  [5.88%]
My supervisor at the lotto tells me to [ 1 ]  [2.94%]
Other [ 7 ]  [20.59%]
Total Valid Votes [ 34 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10348 Posts
Posted: June 7, 2010, 12:29 am - IP Logged

I don't care if antyone says they are going to win or not. I simply put a poll up, since we have over 92,000 members here and so many have put a post up stating they are going to win the big _ _ _ jackpot for $ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _, and no on has is doing so a jinx, a self jinx. Since no one who has done so has popped one yet, you tell us.

I've aske you over and over to explain that if specific examples in this discussion were not luck, what do you say they were and all you've done is a bunch of bobbing and weaving and quoting Wikipedia.

I'll give it one more shot. You tell me, if not luck, what happened when that guy won $50,000 ona Keno ticket that was made out wrong.

So if that's not luck, what do YOU say it is? Not Wikipedia, not professor's Morgenstern's thesis on probabilities, how do you desctibe it?

I never said luck is my faith. I did say that gambling in all forms, the entertinment business, and sports are rife with luck and superstition.

Until you give me your own explanation for how the example mentioned are not luck, your explantaion, not a cut and paste job from elsewhere, I'll know where stupid is as stupid does really is in this thread, and who can't come out of the "monkey mind".  (Zen, the ego).

May you hit a jackpot on a QP you play for the wrong drawing.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
    Member #81843
    October 31, 2009
    856 Posts
    Posted: June 7, 2010, 4:49 am - IP Logged

Okay here is what happened. Someone was doing something to play a game of keno. A mistake was made. Somebody won. Events happen CT and your monkey mind focus on the power of a Jinx is just your silly superstition (a belief) to explain away the fact that it did not happen to you because YOU HAVE BAD LUCK. Therefore you must be Jinxed by the terms of your belief in it. You are sublect to what you believe.

How’s that?

You have some elaborate ways of being egotistical about how you define events. This poll is all about you.

I gather you pride yourself in not being egotistical while holding vain superstitions. Monkeyshining yourself? don't hit your head. It would be unlucky.

DD

United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10348 Posts
      Posted: June 7, 2010, 10:06 am - IP Logged

Yeah, sure DD, sure.

If you have paid any attention at all you would have noticed I never posted about winning any jackpot beforehand.

I'll stick with the OP, no one who has posted "I'm going to win the jackpot tonight" has. 'Til then.....

Good Luck to you. And pogue me hown.

Lep

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19825 Posts
        Posted: June 7, 2010, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

When you consider that billions of combinations are played every year in jackpot style games and there are only a handful of winners, it's doubtful anyone could jinxes themselves or improve their luck by their actions other than buying tickets.  Even previous jackpot winners who claim to have a system or a strategy for winning seldom win again even if they play a lot and playing a lot improves anyone chances of a win.  Call it luck or a random event, somebody will win eventually.  Luck implies that these random events happen to certain players who are lucky but the players are only considered lucky after the event happens to them.  Saying they are lucky is for losers who need an explanation of why someone else won and they did not.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10348 Posts
          Posted: June 7, 2010, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

And the people who have won twice?

It has happened.

Lep

United States
            Member #81843
            October 31, 2009
            856 Posts
            Posted: June 8, 2010, 3:55 am - IP Logged

And the people who have won twice?

It has happened.

Glad to see you are doing well in therapy. You recognize EVENTS. 

Your dilemma revealed:

Oh, I get it, you are superstitious about saying things or doing things that bring you bad luck. It makes perfect sense that your focus on BAD luck is your problem. Did you ever ask yourself “why do I have bad luck?” “Why am I unlucky?” “Why am I Jinxed from having GOOD luck?”

These are important questions you must ask yourself when you are having one of your introspective and vigorous conversations with ‘yourself’. You should dig deeper into your psyche for the answer and maybe you will get lucky.     NOT!

You are drinking from a stagnant well of superstition, monkeyshiner.

You’re all caught up on other peoples egos and you think QP luck is the only way to go. Do you stand around the 7-11’s waiting to buy a printed QP mistake? They are out there, ya know. Many are winners. Many are QP mistake winners. Where is your luck? Where has it gone? Why are you UNLUCKY?

I am not unlucky because I do not believe in it. But you,... you are very unlucky.

Splat back

DD