Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Scratch Off Strategy

Topic closed. 54 replies. Last post 6 years ago by CarHauler.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #83701
December 13, 2009
225 Posts
Posted: July 31, 2010, 12:58 am - IP Logged

I'm new here so thanks for all the input.

Anyway, I thought I'd share a scratcher ticket theory thats worked well for me here in PA.

Go to the "winners circle" link on your state lottery website.

Click on Instant Game Winners.

Therein you will see an actual list of the winners, their home town, and sometimes the name

of the store that sold the winning tickets.

After going over the list you may determine a distribution pattern for certain games in certain areas.

For example, in the PA. "$1000 a Week For Life" game you see that most winners are from towns

along the PA turnpike and I-79 (not all but most).

For whatever reason the boys at lottery headquarters never change the distribution pattern of

this game and most of the jackpot winners come from those traffic lanes.

You can see other dist. patterns in other games as well.

Also, the biggest winning tickets seem to be at the end of the roll.

I mean the last five or six tickets on the roll have usually brought me luck.

I dunno why they just have.

Another tip is to look for a four color registration mark of _  at the bottom of the ticket.

Not a + mark (as many have) but a _ mark along the bottom edge at left.

This is a good indication that the ticket is a winner of some sort.

It could be $2, $5, $40, or higher - maybe even the jackpot.

I recently stopped for gas at local station whereupon I noticed a game that was at the end of the roll.

About six tickets were left at $2.00 apiece.

I asked the clerk to pull them out so I could look them over.

The last two had that _ mark at the bottom.

As they can't break them up I had to take all six to get the two I wanted (cost $12.00).

Of those last two one hit for $500 and the other $1000!

Not a bad return on the $12.00 I put out.

I hope that helps everyone interested in scratcher games.

Best to all and Happy Winning!!

There's actually some possible fundamental reasons for what you are observing.   The distribution of the larger prizes could be because most of the packs only contain smaller prizes and hence are mass printed on sheets.   Each sheet is folded and cut to produce many packs so one die could print out several different packs.   The larger prizes are printed in smaller production runs, with the largest prizes being single sheet prints.   Once the sheets have been folded and cut into packs and wrapped so that their pack identities can not be determined, the packs are mechanically shuffled and then shipped.   The shipping routes are fixed so the only true randomness comes from the mechanical shuffling of the packs and studies have shown that mechanically shuffling whether it's the barrel of a raffle draw or the mechanical card shuffler in Vegas doesn't actually randomize very well.   This means that the hot packs from the smaller production runs will tend to be delivered along the same delivery routes.

The theory that the larger winning tickets are near the end or beginning of a pack is based upon the idea that a number of dies are changed out to add prizes to the smaller production runs and that it's easier to change out a die near the edge of the sheet which would correspond to the end or beginning of a pack.

The idea of the marks whether they be color marks or cross hairs along the perforation lines is that the smaller production runs with the higher value prizes would be runs under more careful scrutiny and controls hence more alignment marks and test patterns.   They certainly don't want any printing mistakes with their top prizes.

The downside is that modern laser printers and computer controlled printing obviates the need for the smaller hot pack production runs.

If the tickets are still printed off dies, then that means there is a finite number of different cold pack patterns.   These are packs that are printed with just the minimum dollar value of prizes.   If someone had enough resources to buy enough cold packs or could get people to report what their losing and winning tickets looked like and the pack number identifier, one could identify the cold pack patterns and hence after a few tickets, predict where the low value winners are within the pack.   What would really help with this is to know how many packs are printed on each sheets and how many different sheet dies there are.   Despite the obvious costs involved with buying enough packs to identify the packs, I'm surprised that people haven't done this yet.   Of course, you would need to find a vendor that's willing to sell you the tickets out of sequence so that you could cherry pick the small prize winners so any effort to cash in on identifying the pattern would be very noticeable by the lottery commission and likely to be shut down very quickly.

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
    The Ville, FL
    United States
    Member #95879
    August 19, 2010
    1708 Posts
    Posted: August 25, 2010, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

I'll have to go out soon and see what he means. I never noticed any line - plus sign or other line on the ticket..in fact, I'm stumped too about the

color codes.

I thought he meant on the front of the ticket, near the bottom? Maybe I read it wrong.

I hope he can come back soon and explain just where we can look for these markings.

Big Smile

I know exactly what marking he is referring to, as I thought the same exact thing. It is at the very bottom left or right of some tickets. Most games have these markings every 4-5 tickes or so. You just have to look for them.

i addition, I have purchased the tickets before and after the one with a marking and havent won on any of them. But I have heard others talking about these markings as well, so this isnt the first person ive heard this from.

Sometimes the marking is a _ and sometimes they are like this: _|

Im in Florida and its interesting to hear this from someone else. The marking are pretty easy to see especially if the ticket is yellow. It will be a black marking.

Good luck everyone

The Ville, FL
      United States
      Member #95879
      August 19, 2010
      1708 Posts
      Posted: August 25, 2010, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

Interesting...

The Lottery site has lists for winners of all games except for scratch-offs winners. Hmmmmm....

Isn't that public info?

Nino, yes it is public info, but you have to request it. If you click on the "Contact us" link on the FL Lottery website and ask them for a top prize winners list, they will email it to you.

I have done this before on a few scratchers just to see where the top prize winners were coming from. That is one of the strategies I use when playing different scratch-offs.

For example, a $10 Cash Bonanza -  $1 Million dollar winner was purchased in my city a few weeks ago. So I wont be playing that game for a bit

SE PA
        United States
        Member #93582
        July 3, 2010
        1866 Posts
        Posted: August 25, 2010, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

I've had tickets with no markings that won. When I get a small |, I often lose. Same with an L shape.

United States
          Member #95258
          August 6, 2010
          21 Posts
          Posted: August 25, 2010, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

thats very interesting i play some scratchers in ohio and it seems on most of the

5 dollar 2 dollar tickets they either have a thick white line between the winner tickets like the aerosmith ticket is plain as day always hits either on the white line or 1 or 2 tickets away and its usally for 10 and above. also on the monopoly game in ohio look for the yellow line inbetween the tickets a huge greenlight to play it almost always hits right on the line or right after and the 2 dollar cash invasion dead giveaway white lines i have hit 100 bucks 2x on the white line 50's and so on.

and the black hashmark at the bottom of some tickets in ohio look for it on the sunny money 2dollar game it hits right after the hash mark at the bottom of the ticket and the bingo 2 dollar orange ticket dead giveway now for the 10 dollar game classic black huge white line on the ticket on this one i have hit 100bucks on this on the white like its hit and miss on that game though i played the other day on the white line didnt hit and the 2nd didnt hit sometimes this indicates a big winner coming up 4 or 5 away !

The Ville, FL
            United States
            Member #95879
            August 19, 2010
            1708 Posts
            Posted: August 25, 2010, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

I've had tickets with no markings that won. When I get a small |, I often lose. Same with an L shape.

Matt - I dont think anyone was saying only the tickets with markings are winners =)

It was just an observation that more than one person has made. I have bought several with the markings and haven't won anything as stated above. It just all depends. It's just interesting that there are actual marks on some and makes you wonder what they are for.

I have won/lost on both: tickets with marks and tickets w/o marks

SE PA
              United States
              Member #93582
              July 3, 2010
              1866 Posts
              Posted: August 25, 2010, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

OK - in that case, I'm also interested. I've been trying to find some kind of pattern in PA, but without any luck like the Ohio player with the line markings.

United States
                Member #95258
                August 6, 2010
                21 Posts
                Posted: August 25, 2010, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

it so simple the white lines are between the tickets is so obvious to see them if your ticket in your state is black like the aerosmith game in ohio or cash invasion the white line is thick and it usually hits on that ticket or the one connected to its so common in ohio that clerk knows if you ask any white lines coming up they look for you like for instance  it could be 6 tickets down do you want to risk that much money to chase or would you rather have a ticket ready to hit right then and there first or 2 nd ticket? some of the tickets have a black looks like a black marker spot at the bottom corner of the ticket a friend of mine works a t bp in the town i live in

i was there sunday i played some scratchers and tested it the sunny money game 2 dollar instant has white thin lines in between the ticket hit 10 buck

cash invasion white lines 2nd ticket from the white line 4bucks

aerosmith white line 10bucks

cashblast white line 5 bucks

etc we did a bunch of tickets he pulled out like 15 to 20 tickets rolled them out and its so obvious of the winning tickets with lines

its so easy to win money on the scratchers usually the clerks are very cooperative it is your money just ask is their any white lines coming up on that particular game you wanna play and usually they know Wink

United States
                  Member #95258
                  August 6, 2010
                  21 Posts
                  Posted: August 25, 2010, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

the mark works and the white line between the tickets ! trust me it works if you have the clerk to pull tickets out of the roll not tear them off just pull say 10 out look for a solid white line if its 6 or 7 down dont waste your money if you wanna chase if you see in the first 2 then go for it thats always a green light for me to play

if its way down the roll ive been down that road and they are all losers or you might get 5 bucks maybe if its a 5 dollar ticket

just make sure if your in a different state other than ohio the easiest way to test this on dark tickets black blue no white tickets unless you wanna look for the bottom corner mark they will usually have that on them

Chesapeake, VA.
                    United States
                    Member #67005
                    November 13, 2008
                    61 Posts
                    Posted: August 25, 2010, 10:33 pm - IP Logged

Hey guys,

I love the line strategy but I wanted to change tune a bit.

I just purchased a $10.00 Redskins Legacy Ticket tonight here in VA and I hit for $100! Very nice hit as it is my biggest win beating my record of $75 from a month ago on a $3.00 bingo ticket. Anyway, the ticket number was 007. The tickets come out of the machine backwards down to 000. This is where my questions comes into play.

Being that there are only 7 tickets left on the roll should I go back and purchase from the same roll or go to another store and buy from a different roll? I know a lot of times a $100-$500 winner will be very near a much bigger winning ticket on the same roll.

However, At the same time, the $100 winner I got could have been the big winner in the roll. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Stu26's avatar - erebus cross.jpg
                      Florida
                      United States
                      Member #95060
                      August 2, 2010
                      87 Posts
                      Posted: August 26, 2010, 12:56 am - IP Logged

Hey guys,

I love the line strategy but I wanted to change tune a bit.

I just purchased a $10.00 Redskins Legacy Ticket tonight here in VA and I hit for $100! Very nice hit as it is my biggest win beating my record of $75 from a month ago on a $3.00 bingo ticket. Anyway, the ticket number was 007. The tickets come out of the machine backwards down to 000. This is where my questions comes into play.

Being that there are only 7 tickets left on the roll should I go back and purchase from the same roll or go to another store and buy from a different roll? I know a lot of times a $100-$500 winner will be very near a much bigger winning ticket on the same roll.

However, At the same time, the $100 winner I got could have been the big winner in the roll. What do you guys think? Thanks!

If your playing the odds, I would say buy from another roll and try to hit one of the bigger prizes. I've won $100 on a $2 scratch off and thought the same thing as you... I ended up running back to the store and was fortunate enough to hit $100 again from one of the five tickets I bought.

Trust your gut feeling, if your feelin lucky.. buyout the remaining tickets .. if not.. buy a few from a new roll.

Best of luck to you and nice hit!Party

Never underestimate the Power of Prayer. Blue Angel

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                        Texas
                        United States
                        Member #86154
                        January 30, 2010
                        1648 Posts
                        Posted: September 14, 2010, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

I, along with other players, have been studying the scratch-off deal in terms of odds and winners. It seems that the odds are actually much better with these games especially with the top payouts. Problem is that the good paying tickets cost $10 and up which can add up if you don't get a reasonable winner after purchasing several tickets or so. Still, the idea of hitting big is a high possibility if you manage to get a good string of tickets.

Well, we're currently organizing a nice group of people to "pool with scratch-offs". This is very cost effective as everyone puts in to purchase a very nice string of the "big boy" tickets. We have a written agreement that in the event of any money recovered, it goes back into the pot for the next ticket run. Also, a top prize payout will be split evenly within the group. It works very well and keeps things within everyone's budget instead of one person trying to spend $50 to $100 single handedly with the possibility of winning nothing or very little recovered.

Just think, you can do the same thing and if a $250,000 winner is scratched off, you get your share of it for a fraction of the cost. I honestly believe lots of people are beginning to do this with times being like they are. It boils down to having one shot at a lucky winner or five and maybe ten shots at it. Depends on what the budget is set at. Either way, more chances at it will provide better chances at winning something. With the right group of players, a good understanding written in black and white, and consistency, lots of people have a real good chance at being winners with these instant games.

Even if you get a share of $1,000, that's 1K more than you already have...and probably would've gotten on your own. The bigger the group, the less it costs to play and win in the end. In the bigger scheme of things, with some really good luck, a big winner is realized where the group can then go out and simply purchase a roll of the higher end tickets at a time. Hmmmmmm. Just some food for thought and good luck scratchin'!!!!!!

L.L.

L.L.

Coppery's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg
                          East Coast
                          United States
                          Member #96936
                          September 8, 2010
                          19 Posts
                          Posted: September 15, 2010, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

There's actually some possible fundamental reasons for what you are observing.   The distribution of the larger prizes could be because most of the packs only contain smaller prizes and hence are mass printed on sheets.   Each sheet is folded and cut to produce many packs so one die could print out several different packs.   The larger prizes are printed in smaller production runs, with the largest prizes being single sheet prints.   Once the sheets have been folded and cut into packs and wrapped so that their pack identities can not be determined, the packs are mechanically shuffled and then shipped.   The shipping routes are fixed so the only true randomness comes from the mechanical shuffling of the packs and studies have shown that mechanically shuffling whether it's the barrel of a raffle draw or the mechanical card shuffler in Vegas doesn't actually randomize very well.   This means that the hot packs from the smaller production runs will tend to be delivered along the same delivery routes.

The theory that the larger winning tickets are near the end or beginning of a pack is based upon the idea that a number of dies are changed out to add prizes to the smaller production runs and that it's easier to change out a die near the edge of the sheet which would correspond to the end or beginning of a pack.

The idea of the marks whether they be color marks or cross hairs along the perforation lines is that the smaller production runs with the higher value prizes would be runs under more careful scrutiny and controls hence more alignment marks and test patterns.   They certainly don't want any printing mistakes with their top prizes.

The downside is that modern laser printers and computer controlled printing obviates the need for the smaller hot pack production runs.

If the tickets are still printed off dies, then that means there is a finite number of different cold pack patterns.   These are packs that are printed with just the minimum dollar value of prizes.   If someone had enough resources to buy enough cold packs or could get people to report what their losing and winning tickets looked like and the pack number identifier, one could identify the cold pack patterns and hence after a few tickets, predict where the low value winners are within the pack.   What would really help with this is to know how many packs are printed on each sheets and how many different sheet dies there are.   Despite the obvious costs involved with buying enough packs to identify the packs, I'm surprised that people haven't done this yet.   Of course, you would need to find a vendor that's willing to sell you the tickets out of sequence so that you could cherry pick the small prize winners so any effort to cash in on identifying the pattern would be very noticeable by the lottery commission and likely to be shut down very quickly.

Very interesting & astute observations.

SE PA
                            United States
                            Member #93582
                            July 3, 2010
                            1866 Posts
                            Posted: October 3, 2010, 1:17 am - IP Logged

I actually tried the back-to-back winner strategy. Since #018 on the $20 Million Dollar Cash Fever was a $200 winner, I bought another from the same roll and it happened to be the next ticket, #019. Not another big winner, but it did win $20.

danyo1332's avatar - 198208 10150427293015037_578305036_17777547_4875050_n
                              clinton, ohio
                              United States
                              Member #94566
                              July 22, 2010
                              1920 Posts
                              Posted: October 4, 2010, 10:59 pm - IP Logged

I bought a $5 kings and queens yesterday..the ticket was the ticket right before the white line..and to my surprise $5,000 WINNER! Never been so lucky in my life!Party

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/231108 My Definite Double System

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/231369 My P4 to P3 Pair System

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233360 My Digit 9 Significance System