Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 10:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Determination versus Free Will

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 6 years ago by badboy00z.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

If you believe, as this writer does, that everything is determined, how does this apply to lotto?

Determination is false, but I had to choose this! [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
I don't believe everything is determined [ 11 ]  [47.83%]
Free will, also believe I'll never hit jackpot [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
This is a stupid philosophy question [ 4 ]  [17.39%]
This is a smart philosophy question [ 2 ]  [8.70%]
Come again? [ 6 ]  [26.09%]
Total Valid Votes [ 23 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
New York, NY
United States
Member #97986
September 29, 2010
8 Posts
Posted: September 29, 2010, 10:14 am - IP Logged

Philosophy is said to undergird the way we think. Philosophy has developed to teach us how to think better, more clearly. Philosophy, in one definition is considered one rolling argument. So philosophy and lotto (gambling) must be tied together at a very deep level?!

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    51256 Posts
    Posted: September 29, 2010, 10:30 am - IP Logged

Philosophy is said to undergird the way we think. Philosophy has developed to teach us how to think better, more clearly. Philosophy, in one definition is considered one rolling argument. So philosophy and lotto (gambling) must be tied together at a very deep level?!

One Word: Greed!

Greed: An excessive, selfish desire to have or acquire Wealth.

Avarice: Passion for acquiring and hoarding riches; Wealth.

Avaricious: Driven to gain Wealth.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

sully16's avatar - sharan
      Ringleader
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #81740
      October 28, 2009
      42221 Posts
      Posted: September 29, 2010, 10:31 am - IP Logged

Forest Gump says life is like a box of chocolates and you never know what your going to get.Smiley

HyperBe Happy.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: September 29, 2010, 11:21 am - IP Logged

When contemplating Philosophy, it is good to remember that it is always darkest just before the dawn.

And that's the best time to steal your neighbor's newspaper.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

sully16's avatar - sharan
          Ringleader
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #81740
          October 28, 2009
          42221 Posts
          Posted: September 29, 2010, 11:38 am - IP Logged

When contemplating Philosophy, it is good to remember that it is always darkest just before the dawn.

and twilight is the loneliest time of day.

HyperBe Happy.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
            adelaide sa
            Australia
            Member #37136
            April 11, 2006
            3316 Posts
            Posted: September 29, 2010, 11:42 am - IP Logged

but what if there is a multi verse, a new universe where ever you make a descision there is another you that makes the opositise, descision?

could there be a universe where you always pick the correct lotto numbers, ea week?

why doesnt he drop by and shout me a few beers sometime?

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

OwlCreekBridge's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
              lottoville
              United States
              Member #95474
              August 11, 2010
              132 Posts
              Posted: September 29, 2010, 12:06 pm - IP Logged

There aren't enough choices in this poll. what about these?

I believe in Determination and I think I'm destined to win big some day

or

I believe in Determination and I think it is my fate to never win big but spending $4 a week on lotto tickets is cheaper than going to the movies and it's alot more entertaining.

Read this article http://www.lotterypost.com/news/221072

It's about Garina Fearon, a prison guard who won 54 million dollars as a result of buying the WRONG ticket. She meant to play Powerball not Mega Millions.

You tell me if you think this big win was the result of her free will or it was her destiny (predetermined).

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: September 29, 2010, 12:21 pm - IP Logged

And one is the lonliest number that you'll ever do.

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: September 29, 2010, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

If every action taken has been predetermined, I think I'll just go ahead and pour a stiff one without recalcitration.

For who am I to challenge destiny?

--Edmund Burke

THRUST's avatar - f35l

United States
                    Member #88435
                    March 16, 2010
                    397 Posts
                    Posted: September 29, 2010, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

Twilight sucks. LOL

As to the question...what about intention...remember the lady from Cal who won $112 Mil because she believed she attracted it?

$1,000,000

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #92330
                      June 5, 2010
                      887 Posts
                      Posted: September 29, 2010, 2:28 pm - IP Logged

There aren't enough choices in this poll. what about these?

I believe in Determination and I think I'm destined to win big some day

or

I believe in Determination and I think it is my fate to never win big but spending $4 a week on lotto tickets is cheaper than going to the movies and it's alot more entertaining.

Read this article http://www.lotterypost.com/news/221072

It's about Garina Fearon, a prison guard who won 54 million dollars as a result of buying the WRONG ticket. She meant to play Powerball not Mega Millions.

You tell me if you think this big win was the result of her free will or it was her destiny (predetermined).

Also look at how many other winners win in such ways. The main ones I think of is where the people buy the "mistake" tickets or where someone forgot their slip with their numbers so they do QP.

Of course I've had an instance of a buying a "mistake" ticket and it didn't match more than one number.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10392 Posts
                        Posted: September 29, 2010, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

Interesting choice of words for the poll question as the usual argument is predestination vs free will, but that of course smacks of religious overtones, John Calvin, and five pointers.

The way the title of the thread was worded I took it to mean people who are themselves determined to win, not whom fate has determined will win.

Some say we have to believe in free will, it's our destiny!

Personally I think there are a lot of forks in the road that we either take or don't take. An example would be someone is in a rush on the way out of a store. They intended to stop and buy a scratcher but passed it up for whatever reason. The next person to buy one wins a big prize. What was predestined was that whatever person bought that next scratcher would win, not necessarily who that person would be.

Another example who who gets the fortune cookie with the winning numbers!

All that taken into consideration, it's still a real good idea not to get the Lottery Fairy mad at you.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                          Member #75358
                          June 1, 2009
                          5345 Posts
                          Posted: September 29, 2010, 3:08 pm - IP Logged

If every action taken has been predetermined, I think I'll just go ahead and pour a stiff one without recalcitration.

For who am I to challenge destiny?

Agreed.

If everything is predetermined, free will goes right out the window.

Predestiny and free will are complicated issues, that in my opinion cancel each other out. 

Personally, I don't believe in predetermination/predestiny, as it destroys any meaningful purpose in our lives. I'd like to think that I am soley responsible for my actions. If everything is predestined, then why bother worrying about any consequences for my actions?

Bottom line, Quantum theory is for me, the best solution. Active participation in events is the only way to make only ONE choice a reality, out of the outcomes that exist in the endless soup of possibilities.

Without an observer, there would be nothing to observe, therefore, life, and the universe that contains it would not exist.

Even If you decide on a QP, you still made a choice.

visiondude's avatar - eye3logo
                            light on my feet
                            United States
                            Member #356
                            May 20, 2002
                            2744 Posts
                            Posted: September 29, 2010, 3:57 pm - IP Logged

it sure is a comforting place to be in life where i am going to only pursue something based in foreknowledge of the event.

in that vein, i am "predestined" if i am right about it.

but,  i have still have free will to stay the course and flesh it out, or,   i can pull up short and take a complete detour in the opposite direction,  thereby cancelling out what would have been,  had i stayed the course despite challenges or lengths of time.

i like anyone else "guess" at various forks in the road,  and take which fork seems right at that moment.

however,  there are instances in my life,  that i know factually what will happen to me future tense,  and i set my choices based on that,  and see it thru to it's conclusion.

on the big ticket items of life,  with so much attached to it,  the last thing i want to do is throw a guess at it,  and potentially waste a truckload of time.

efficientcy not only saves time,  it keeps one out of  emotional bankruptcy court.

once i know the end result, i am determined by my free will to cross the finish line

"i am .........."meant to"       

P.S.,  that RJoH  is a stand up guy.  thanks,  vision

until further notice,  it's  france everyday

CA
                              United States
                              Member #84266
                              December 26, 2009
                              410 Posts
                              Posted: September 29, 2010, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

If it's always darkest just before dawn then I feel I will win the Super Lotto tonight. My life has been really crappy lately...