Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 5:17 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Determination versus Free Will

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 6 years ago by badboy00z.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

If you believe, as this writer does, that everything is determined, how does this apply to lotto?

Determination is false, but I had to choose this! [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
I don't believe everything is determined [ 11 ]  [47.83%]
Free will, also believe I'll never hit jackpot [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
This is a stupid philosophy question [ 4 ]  [17.39%]
This is a smart philosophy question [ 2 ]  [8.70%]
Come again? [ 6 ]  [26.09%]
Total Valid Votes [ 23 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: September 29, 2010, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

If it's always darkest just before dawn then I feel I will win the Super Lotto tonight. My life has been really crappy lately...

If that's the case, I hope you win badboy00z.

I'll catch the next one.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
    Member #47420
    November 4, 2006
    3930 Posts
    Posted: September 29, 2010, 10:17 pm - IP Logged

...how does it apply to lotto?...it don't...next question..

United States
      Member #75358
      June 1, 2009
      5345 Posts
      Posted: September 29, 2010, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

...how does it apply to lotto?...it don't...next question..

Just like in life, we have to make decisions, and that goes with Lotto.

THRUST's avatar - f35l

United States
        Member #88435
        March 16, 2010
        397 Posts
        Posted: September 30, 2010, 9:14 am - IP Logged

If it's always darkest just before dawn then I feel I will win the Super Lotto tonight. My life has been really crappy lately...

I feel your pain. I have been out of work for a year, have had health problems and have been turned away from every job I have applied for. Seriously I don't even want to win the jackpot...all I need is $1,000,000. Yes Nod

Hope for the best for you badboy00z Thumbs Up

$1,000,000

CA
          United States
          Member #84266
          December 26, 2009
          410 Posts
          Posted: September 30, 2010, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

I feel your pain. I have been out of work for a year, have had health problems and have been turned away from every job I have applied for. Seriously I don't even want to win the jackpot...all I need is $1,000,000. Yes Nod

And the best for you as well.

TeAl*888's avatar - octa feathers.jpg
            Ontario
            Canada
            Member #97475
            September 17, 2010
            69 Posts
            Posted: September 30, 2010, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

I believe in destiny

If you're destined to be wealthy at some point in your life, nothing will stop you

and if you're not, even if you win the jackpot, it just won't happen..

but people would like to think that they are in control, hence the idea of being in charge of your destiny...

You are given a share of fortune as you enter this realm and you do have choices, for instance the choice of 'What you Do with what you're given' but some other things are not among your choices and yes they are Predetermined

..lets say that's my opinion..

Fractal

" Truth is a Pathless Land " Krishnamurti

New York, NY
              United States
              Member #97986
              September 29, 2010
              8 Posts
              Posted: October 2, 2010, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

If I understd. the multiverse idea, then it must be the case that there are an infinite number of universes, and in these infinite number, you have won an infinite number of times, Sun Smiley and an infinite number of wins in a row Hyper, as well as loses Sad. At least this is how I think multiverse theory has to readThud.

New York, NY
                United States
                Member #97986
                September 29, 2010
                8 Posts
                Posted: October 2, 2010, 10:13 pm - IP Logged

Heh, How can you feel my pain No Pity!, this violates the 1st vs 3rd person gap in the philosophy of mind Stooges, but I have also been dead for all these yrs.Dead

New York, NY
                  United States
                  Member #97986
                  September 29, 2010
                  8 Posts
                  Posted: October 2, 2010, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

but what if there is a multi verse, a new universe where ever you make a descision there is another you that makes the opositise, descision?

could there be a universe where you always pick the correct lotto numbers, ea week?

why doesnt he drop by and shout me a few beers sometime?

If I understd. the multiverse idea, then it must be the case that there are an infinite number of universes, and in these infinite number, you have won an infinite number of times,  Sun Smiley and an infinite number of wins in a row  Hyper, as well as loses  Sad. At least this is how I think multiverse theory has to readThud.

New York, NY
                    United States
                    Member #97986
                    September 29, 2010
                    8 Posts
                    Posted: October 2, 2010, 10:17 pm - IP Logged

If that's the case, I hope you win badboy00z.

I'll catch the next one.

h, you remind me of a guy I knew last century, about 175 yrs agoWhite Bounce  when I was younger - I think the guy's name was Chuck Somethin  Thinking of...- ah that's it Chuck Darwin, luved the guy  Thumbs Up he was kind of on the bright side. Don't know if he is talked about anymoreI Agree!

New York, NY
                      United States
                      Member #97986
                      September 29, 2010
                      8 Posts
                      Posted: October 2, 2010, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

There aren't enough choices in this poll. what about these?

I believe in Determination and I think I'm destined to win big some day

or

I believe in Determination and I think it is my fate to never win big but spending $4 a week on lotto tickets is cheaper than going to the movies and it's alot more entertaining.

Read this article http://www.lotterypost.com/news/221072

It's about Garina Fearon, a prison guard who won 54 million dollars as a result of buying the WRONG ticket. She meant to play Powerball not Mega Millions.

You tell me if you think this big win was the result of her free will or it was her destiny (predetermined).

Completely determinedI Agree!. If she bought the wrong ticket, she would have lost  Frown, right  I Agree!, but she bought the right one, right  I Agree! and won  LurkingCase closed  I Agree!. Indeed there was never a question . And BTW, THX for mentioning my niece Ms. Fearson   BananaBSto me. It is about time she got to know her long lost poor uncle BS

OwlCreekBridge's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                        lottoville
                        United States
                        Member #95474
                        August 11, 2010
                        132 Posts
                        Posted: October 3, 2010, 4:03 am - IP Logged

Heh, How can you feel my pain No Pity!, this violates the 1st vs 3rd person gap in the philosophy of mind Stooges, but I have also been dead for all these yrs.Dead

I'm going out on the limb and assume he doesn't give a rat's bottom about violating any "1st vs 3rd person gap in the philosophy of mind" It is an arbitrary dichotomy in the first place.

Someone would have to be a total sociopath to not have the capacity to empathize with another person's pain. The necessary conclusion of choosing to adopt the subject vs object dichotomy is ultimately, solipsism.

Once you choose to adopt this dichotomy you can never prove the existance of an external world or even the existance of other minds. You become the one and only consciousness in a world you can never prove isn't the matrix. Other people stop becoming living breathing human beings and are reduced to virtual reality AI.

The ethical and moral implacations of this are devastating. If you can not prove the existance of other minds other than your own, what stops you from kidnapping a person and torturing them for hours? That person isn't real anyway it would just be a virtual reality AI.

If you're really interested in philosophy you ought to consider that the subject vs object dichotomy is a false dichotomy.

New York, NY
                          United States
                          Member #97986
                          September 29, 2010
                          8 Posts
                          Posted: October 3, 2010, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

I'm going out on the limb and assume he doesn't give a rat's bottom about violating any "1st vs 3rd person gap in the philosophy of mind" It is an arbitrary dichotomy in the first place.

Someone would have to be a total sociopath to not have the capacity to empathize with another person's pain. The necessary conclusion of choosing to adopt the subject vs object dichotomy is ultimately, solipsism.

Once you choose to adopt this dichotomy you can never prove the existance of an external world or even the existance of other minds. You become the one and only consciousness in a world you can never prove isn't the matrix. Other people stop becoming living breathing human beings and are reduced to virtual reality AI.

The ethical and moral implacations of this are devastating. If you can not prove the existance of other minds other than your own, what stops you from kidnapping a person and torturing them for hours? That person isn't real anyway it would just be a virtual reality AI.

If you're really interested in philosophy you ought to consider that the subject vs object dichotomy is a false dichotomy.

You seem to disclaim any import for 1st person vs 3rd person difference, and yet you privilege just this position in your first paragraph.

"I'm going out ... and assume he..." Bash.

You cannot take away in one hand what you give in another when you argue philosophically: that is to say, contradiction leads no where in matters philosophicalSulk Off

Note: I am not a philosopher, but in deference to philosophy, a field which tries to teach us how to get our thoughts right, I welcome dialogue Argue

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                            FEMA Region V Camp #21
                            United States
                            Member #520
                            July 27, 2002
                            5699 Posts
                            Posted: October 3, 2010, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

I voted 'this is a smart philosophy question".  If we live in a quantum universe then there are infinite possibilities at every moment.  In that case, free will logically wins out.  There can be no determination with infinite possibilities.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

New York, NY
                              United States
                              Member #97986
                              September 29, 2010
                              8 Posts
                              Posted: October 3, 2010, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

I voted 'this is a smart philosophy question".  If we live in a quantum universe then there are infinite possibilities at every moment.  In that case, free will logically wins out.  There can be no determination with infinite possibilities.

But in a quantum world, the quantum event is a will independent event. Sometimes universes just happen Disapprove, now and then (whatever now and then means) they pop into existence Lurkingand sometimes they don't. And therefore and thereby, in a quantum world the answer is both no and yes Thumbs Up (no? What?)